Cover Image: Can't Go Back

Can't Go Back

Can't Go Back is an action-packed addition to the Devlin & Falco series. Kerri Devlin and Luke Falco are detectives in the Major Investigations Division of the Birmingham, Alabama Police Department. The chief calls them to be in charge of a case where the victims are his friends and needs their expertise to solve. This is a case of a former undercover cop's wife and child dying in a fire that is obviously arson and personal. There are several people that they need to interview but no one is really talking. The husband/father was badly injured and is not talking. Until he confesses. But it doesn't add up. This story has many layers to unpeel and many surprises along the way. The strange thing is the father was part of of Luke's old unit when he was undercover and the head is still his old Lieutenant. And their relationship did not end well. Can't Go Back is a real page-turner and edge of the seat read as one clue leads to another and a resolution that is complicated and multifaceted. This is a mystery well done with visits from characters of the previous books. Sweet ending and another winner. I feel that it is best to read this series in order.
I received a complimentary ARC from Thomas & Mercer. All thoughts and opinions are mine only.
I am saddened that this is the last book for Devlin and Falco, but what an amazing finale. Two strong main characters; Kerri Devlin, a female detective who is a badass and her partner in life and work, Luke Falco. Luke has seen the worst the world can offer, but finds a new beginning through his relationship with Kerri. The house of a former detective has been deliberately set on fire with his wife and child inside. Although he tries to save them, it is too late. Is someone trying to send a message to the former detective and if so, what? It is Kerri and Luke’s job to investigate the murders, even if it means questioning other members of law enforcement. They will face harassment, uncooperative witnesses, and threats to their own safety, but will persevere until the final surprise ending. I thought I had everything figured out, but once again Ms. Webb proved me wrong. A truly complex and twisted mystery. I received an advance review copy at no cost and without obligation for an honest review. (by paytonpuppy)
As the relationship between Kerri and Luke gets more serious, Luke's past comes back to center stage. I'm of two minds on this particular turn. On one hand, I really wanted to get into his history but on the other, once again we have another case that is intertwined with the lives of the detectives. But, it felt more natural and less forced like it did in the previous two books. I appreciated how the answers weren't always clear cut. You know tidy boxes aren't my thing. I really liked how the characters are developing, their relationship, and how the approach their cases. Another review states this is the final book in the series. I hope they are wrong because I finally feel like the series foundation is set look forward to seeing the characters grow and the series expand.
This book was full of twists and turns.    If you read the blurb, a mother and daughter die (in a fire) and the father/husband takes the blame.   But they soon realize he is lying.   Then the mothers of the husband and the wife tell lies.    Everyone in the book is lying and pretty soon you have NO idea what happened.

I really liked the relationship between the detectives.    This is the third installment in a series, and you don't HAVE to have read the other two, but I wish I had.  I feel lke I was really missing something.     However, I enjoyed this so much that I am going to go back to the first book in the series, and start from the beginning.   If you havent read the others, I suggest you do that to.  Something tells me you will get a lot more enjoyment from this book!

I want to thank the author, the publisher and #netgalleyfor the ARC which did not impact my review.
Kerri and Luke have been called to investigate a double homicide. A mother and her child are dead because of a terrible fire. The fire was arson. The deeper they get into the investigation the more they realize everyone is lying.

I really enjoy this series. Basically because I am sort of in love with Luke. He has such a bad past but he has a huge heart and he wants to be the best he can be. Luke’s past is ever present in this novel. And it just might come back to bite him! You must read this to find out!

This is just and all around good mystery which will have you wondering what the devil is about to happen…I mean bad cops and all! And what kind of secret are these grandmothers keeping! Geez!

This story keeps you guessing until the end…basically because no one is telling the truth!

Need a good mystery with a kick! Grab your copy today!

I received this novel from the publisher for a honest review.
4.5 STARS

Detectives Kerri Devlin and Luke Falco are called to investigate a double homicide. A house fire has left a woman and her young daughter dead. The husband was badly injured, but he survived.

Upon questioning, the man admits that he killed his wife and daughter ... but the detectives don't believe him for a minute. Something is off ....

Speaking to the entire family on both sides, friends, neighbors, all seem to be lying .. but about what? Why? Who or what are they trying to protect?

What they do find is that there is a connection to Falco's past. Eight years ago a Confidential Informant was found in his bed ... dead. He has no real memory of that time, but there are things that are reminiscent of this current case.

Falco needs the truth .... he doesn't want to jeopardize his relationship with Devlin. And Devlin needs to know to solve the current case.

This is well-written with an intriguing story line. Full of twists and turns that rival a carnival ride, it's easy to think you know who-dun-it ... not so easy, though. The characters are fleshed out and bring a hint of credibility to the plot. The conclusion was quite a surprise and unexpected. Although 3rd in the series, this is easily read as a stand alone. I do recommend starting at the beginning .. to pick up more about the characters' backstories.

Many thanks to the author / Thomas & Mercer / Amazon Publishing / Netgalley for the digital copy of this crime fiction. Read and reviewed voluntarily, opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.
Devlin and Falco are at it again in Debra Webb's third and final installment in the series. A homicide that they are investigating has ties with Falco's past. The details are slowly introduced, but it drives the tension in this murder mystery. The relationship that has evolved between Detectives Devlin and Falco was a welcoming addition to the story. It solidified the closeness that has developed through the past two books. I loved this! I really enjoyed learning about Falco's past since we got a glimpse of Devlin's in the first couple of books. It rounded out the couple and really made you love this pair of Detectives.
Debra Webb knows how to weave a story where you are invested in the characters. You feel like your right there as they investigate a murder. She has a way of writing mystery where you never know who did it or why it happened until the very end. She knows how to keep you guessing which I absolutely love.
I will be sad to see this series end since I loved these characters, but I look forward to the next book by this wonderful author. I have absolutely enjoyed every book of hers. I would highly recommend this book. You don't have to read the others before this to enjoy this book. What a thrill ride! Thanks Debra Webb!

#CantGoBack
#NetGalley
Can't Go Back by Debra Webb is the third and final book. (very disappointed this is to be the last) Detectives Kerri Devlin and Luke Falco are dedicated to their jobs, although they both have misgivings about some of the events in their past.

Devlin and Falco are investigating the death of a mother and her child, Allison and Leah, in a house fire. The husband/father, Logan Boothe a former police officer, was found unconscious out on the lawn but a neighbor but upon waking he was told about the fire and his family inside and ran into the house the burning house. After he awakens in the hospital, he tells Falco that he is the one who set the fire. Also, Allison and Logan's mothers are acting suspiciously. Blaming each other and withholding the truth.

This story brings back memories from Falco's past when he was deep undercover. He is ready to face the truth from those days when he trusted his LT. The bond between Devlin and Falco is a wonderful part of the story that brings these two together while coming to grips with the past.
Amazing book! Loved this story and highly recommend it! I look forward to more books by this author!
I was so sad to hear this would conclude the Devlin & Falco series, waaay :(  I wanted it to continue.  I love the growth in each book, the feeling of people I know or want to know.  This one was a heart wrencher for me and not just because its the end of the series.  I was getting just as frustrated as Delvin and Falco as they were lied to at every turn, half info given when info was shared.  When stuff starts happening to our team, (Delvin and Falco) I had to stop, it was no, please don't take that route. I am so glad it shifted even if it did get darker.  I promise I am not trying to confuse you, its just hard to share my emotions and thoughts without giving spoilers!  Oh Falco, Falco, Falco you have been through the ringer and come out the other side, on your own merits my man.  (wish you were my man, ha)  Delvin gave you the grace and openness you need to accept the good person you truly are.  Watching Delvin having her partners back 110 no matter what, was a refreshing change from how many betrayal and trust issues are handled. Win!!  Having the rest if Delvins family info brought up to date and seeing Sadie were also wins!  I so want to see what happens to Dog, and the future for Delvin, daughter and Falco and his son.....really this is the end?  Thank you for the arc, I freely volunteer my thoughts and opinions.
Thank you Netgalley and Thomas & Mercer for the chance to read Can't go back by Debra Webb. This is the 3rd and last book in the Devlin & Falco series, and I am bit surprised such a great series is ending so soon.
Kerri and Luke have jelled as partners, both professionally and personally. A murder case they are trying to solve ends up taking a twist when a connection to Falco's past pops up and could threaten the partnership. I loved the relationship Kerri and Luke have, and really enjoyed this trilogy. I hope this is not the last we see of Devlin & Falco!!!
Debra Webb has done it again with the next book in The Devlin and Falco Series.  Can’t Go Back is the third book and is well worth the wait.  Webb is the master at writing suspenseful mysteries that will keep you looking for more.  She will take you on a roller coaster ride and you better buckle up!!  From the very start the twist and turns begin and they don’t stop until the very unexpected ending.  She brings true to life characters and their stories to her intriguing books and also throws in some romance to warm your heart.  She will have you looking twice at your neighbors.   This is a wonderful ending to a terrific series but I am hoping for more!

Thank you NetGalley, Debra Webb and Thomas and Mercer for an advanced copy of this great book in exchange for my honest and unbiased opinion.
#netgalley  #cantgoback  #debrawebb  #thomasandmercer  #arc
This review was originally posted on <a href="https://booksofmyheart.net/2021/12/09/%f0%9f%8e%a7-cant-go-back-by-debra-webb/" target="_blank"> Books of My Heart</a>
&nbsp;

<i>Review copy was received from NetGalley. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.</i>

I am still loving the <a href="https://www.goodreads.com/series/293805-devlin-falco" target="_blank" rel="noopener"><em><strong>Devlin & Falco</strong></em></a> series.  We get the point of view from multiple characters this time.  The main characters are still Kerri Devlin and Luke Falco and we get both of their viewpoints.  We also get a bit from Jana Scott, the mother of the homicide victim.   Devlin and Faldo work very well together. They are hard-working and professional.

Devlin & Falco are also expanding their personal relationship, trying out living together over the Thanksgiving holiday when Kerri's daughter is out of town with her father.  I really enjoy how supportive and trusting they are with each other. As cops, they each have bad things in their past and aren't happy with everything they have done or seen.  I love how there was no hesitation with either of them to believe the best of the other and have their back.  They are truly partners.

<strong>Can't Go Back</strong> has the investigation of a homicide of a woman and child. The husband worked in undercover narcotics, with the same group Falco did about 10 years ago.  Many of the old undercover team, who are secretive and insular, need to be questioned about the husband. It brings up the worst time in Falco's career.  It's a dangerous and difficult case with layers of other things obstructing the truth.

Sadie Cross shows up again as a source and support for them on this case. They are building their friends and allies.    I really love this series, but I would recommend reading it in order.  One of the descriptions on Goodreads shows this as the final installment, but I would definitely read more. The series is available in Kindle Unlimited, including the audio version.
Can't Go Back, book 3 in the Devin and Falco series, by Debra Webb is perfection. The fast paced story draws the reader into the investigation and holds them there. The character development is honest and interesting. Webb successfully weaves together multiple story arcs into an explosive conclusion filled with unexpected twists.
Can't Go Back is the finale of the recently published Debra Webb trilogy of the Devlin and Falco series. Having no prior knowledge of this detective team makes the previous cases and events unknown. This time Devlin and Falco attend a double homicide that just doesn’t add up. Why does the husband confess despite the evidence to the contrary? As the investigation develops, little makes sense and even a link to Falco’s past adds to the confusion and danger. All involved are telling lies as the detective partners try to work out their case and their personal lives. A solid enough police procedural, even if the murderer was no real surprise. At times the narrative seemed fixated on the protagonist’s relationship at the cost to the crime mystery, so only a three-star rating. With thanks to Thomas & Mercer and the author, for an uncorrected advanced review copy for review purposes. As always, the opinions herein are totally my own and are made without fear or favour.
Can't go Back  by Debra Webb is the third book in the series. Like any good thriller we are right into the action. However there is a very deft fill in of the characters and place,  And boom, we are into the next case.

Luke and Debra make a great detective team, and as it happens they are not only that. Their relationship is also developing. And while Tori - Debra's daughter is away, they are trying the live - in arrangement.  I really liked seeing their relationship growing and the way Debra is there to show her trust and support of Luke.

And Luke needs that, because as they chase down a grisly case of arson and murder, they find that Luke's undercover work from some time ago is also somehow mingling with the new case and making it all that extra bit dangerous.

I was happy to see Sadie who we got to know in previous books had a small cameo contribution and to see how her life was turning out.

A riveting read, with lots of twists and turns. There is more than one bad guy and of course with Luke and Debra on the trail, they won't get away with anything. And while part of a series could be read as a stand alone.
This one kept me guessing! Debra Webb is turning up the intrigue with the final book in her highly addictive Devlin and Falco series with CAN'T GO BACK. The two main detectives are always a favorite of this series and as their relationship grows and secrets unravel, they are on the verge of big changes. I loved this entire series and am sad to see it end ... but what an ending! This book was fast paced, intense and held surprise after surprise. Unputdownable!

Detective Kerri Devlin and her partner and significant other Detective Luke Falco are in rare form in this final addition to the series as Falco's past comes back to haunt him while in the midst of their current case. Kerri is supportive and steadfast, and Luke allows himself to be sensitive and honest in a way he previously wouldn't have been. The main case this books centers on is filled with twists and turns and revealing secrets.

I highly recommend this book and the entire series to anyone who enjoys a police mystery with a touch of romance and a whole lot of heart mixed into the dialogue.
I'd not read the first two books and I know I missed nuance (and probably more) by hopping in on the final installment but it was still a good read.  Why would a man confess to the murder of his wife and child?  There's lot  of secrets and lies here, not only by those being investigated but also between Detectives Kerri Devlin and Luke Falco.  There are lots of twists (perhaps too many)  in the race to the truth.  Thanks to netgalley for the ARC.  A. good read for fans of the series.
Can't Go Back is the third book in Devlin and Falco series but can be read as a standalone.

I haven't read the first two books of this series but I had no trouble following the story as the gist of the character's backstory is provided.

Can't Go Back is the story of a undercover-story-gone-sideways with a dash of romance and a whole lot of blast from the past. Falco worked as an undercover cop before partnering up with Devlin. His sleep is marred with nightmares - something to do with things going horribly wrong during his undercover days. To add to his woes, an ex-undercover cop's family (wife and daughter) are found dead in their home. While the ex-undercover cop (Logan) has barely managed to survive, he becomes the main suspect - why wouldn't he when he confessed to the crime!

Devlin and Falco doubt the credibility of Logan's confession. They know the in-laws (Logan's mum and Allison's mum) have something to hide. As the mystery begins to reveal itself (slowly, like peeling an onion, one layer at a time), Devlin and Falco realize there is much more to the story than a murder for revenge.

I absolutely enjoyed reading this romantic suspense. Excellent character portrayal and the mystery kept me guessing till the end. The identity of the perp or their reason was something that I did not see it coming. Certainly a shocker!

Highly recommended!
A Gordian Knot of a Police Procedural

The novel opens with a residential fire. Shortly after, the Chief of Police called Kerri Devlin, a detective in the Birmingham Police Major Investigations Division, and tells her and her partner to pass off whatever cases they currently are working and start a new homicide investigation. When Kerri and her partner, Luke Falco, arrive at the fire, the Chief of Police is there and brings them up to speed. The house belongs to the recently deceased, assistant chief of the department’s administrative bureau. His widow lives at another address. The owners’ daughter and five-year-old daughter didn’t make it out of the fire. A neighbor found the husband, Logan Boothe, face down and unconscious outside the house. Upon being aroused, he went into the burning house yelling his wife’s and daughter’s names. The fireman found him unconscious in the house. He was a former cop. The novel proceeds from this start.

Kerri and Luke start their investigation with interviewing the neighbors and the two mothers-in-law. After each interview, both feel that the interviewees were holding something back. When they finally interview Logan Boothe, he claims that it was all his fault, but would not explain how. The start required Kerri and Luke to think through what evidence they had and how to proceed. Then Falco has to make a choice that he doesn’t want to make. This start engaged imagination as I thought through what they had discovered trying to figure out who was behind the arson and deaths.

The B-storyline was rich. Most of the first chapter was devoted to providing background on Kerri and Luke. As this is the first book of this series that I have read, I appreciated this early background. These two characters became fully developed at the start and stayed consistent throughout the novel. The B-storyline enhanced my reading enjoyment of this novel.

For the aspects of a novel that can make a buyer rue the purchase, there are not any intimate scenes. Violence is present but generally described in the less edgy after the fact. There are a few that are described in the more edgy as it occurs. Lastly, there is a fair use of vulgar and rude language. As a retired Navy sailor, the level did not raise a red flag for me, but that may not be true for all readers. Let you, the reader, be forewarned.

Overall, the storyline was a little dark and complex. This meant for me that it was not a quick read. This is worst aspect of this novel that I observed. As I did not feel that I was missing anything by reading this novel first, do not let this stop you from starting with this novel. If you like the publisher’s teaser, I do recommend reading this novel. I have placed this first-time author for me in my second level of rating authors, i.e., Will Read. If I have a slot open in my schedule, I will read one of her novels, but liking this author was not great enough for me to purchase the previous novels in this series. I did enjoy reading this novel and rate it with four stars.

I received a free e-book version of this novel through NetGalley from Thomas & Mercer. My review is based only by my own reading experience of this book. I wish to thank Thomas & Mercer for the opportunity to read and review this novel early.