Cover Image: Saved by the Spell

Saved by the Spell

Shore opens Saved by the Spell with a chance encounter with a charming stranger that renders our protagonist, Phoebe, repulsive to men. Luckily her boss, Archibald Kane, and her landladies are experts on magic, but they are confounded, which leads the reader on a race to discover the reversing spell. Vampires, werewolves, witches, mages, warlocks abound. Fun reading. The story had me rooting for Phoebe, and very much captured my imagination—not to mention expanded my understanding of magically creatures and the paranormal. Nicely done, Susanna!
I received this book for free for an honest review from netgalley #netgalley

Sexy, fun and full of page turning magic!
I have been dying to see where this series takes me, and this installment did not disappoint.  While I think you can probably play catch up if you started the series here, it's probably better to go back to book 1, where Phoebe enters the "house of magic."

Poor Phoebe.  She's had a rough go of it.  She lost her home, but found a new one, but also went through the traumatic event of being cursed, learning about all sorts of paranormals, and then being told she isn't even a drop magical.  New book, new chances, right?  Well, unfortunately, after meeting a lovely man on her way to work, she finds herself paranormally repulsive to men.  Her boss breaks the news to her, which leads them all on the hunt to find the fix.

There are quite a few twists and turns, but this book was pleasantly short and sweet when it came to the "big bad."  While I was sad about the reveal (poor Pheobe), we end the book with a renewed sense of things to come for our girl.  I am really enjoying this series, and most especially the characters that are Phoebe's new roommates in this wonderfully weird world.
Saved by the Spell by Susanna Shore is the second book in this cozy paranormal series.
I really enjoyed the first book in this series.
This book was even better than the first. The characters are really fun and well written.
The mystery was great, and the world building we awesome.
Princess Fuzzypants here:  Phoebe thinks the invitation to her cousin’s wedding shower is the worst thing that will happen to her that day.  Little does she realize but she will be thrust into a power play between her boss and some unknown enemy and whoever it is does not play fair.  The fact that she is the only human in a crowd of supernaturals does not help.  She is surrounded by Mages, a vampire and a werewolf and possibly an evil Warlock.

Her troubles begin when she is cursed with a spell that makes her repulsive to all men.  Her boss, Kane, is the first one who notices and when he realizes it is a challenge to his leadership of the Mage Council, he attempts to find a counter spell.  Life is not pleasant for Phoebe as she repels every man she meets until a gorgeous guy latches onto her at her cousin’s reception.  Unfortunately, he turns out to be one of the villains and the only clue so far to discovering who is behind the attacks on Kane.

All along Phoebe feels like the odd man out as magical events swirl around her.  The evil forces are quite willing to hurt anyone and everyone to get what they want.  That means Phoebe, Kane and the rest will be put into danger time and again before the final confrontation.  As a mere human, she must dig deep to challenge the powerful forces.  As she and her friends defeat the bad guys, she learns some important secrets that will change her life in the future.  Clearly her life will never be the same.

Four purrs and two paws up.
Loved this book! Saved by the Spell was an easy read with very well-crafted characters.

Quite enjoyable and highly recommended. Can't wait to read more from this author.
A solid 4 1/2 stars.

A whimsical read, I enjoyed this more than I anticipated (I'm not super into shapeshifters so I didn't know if I would like the cast of characters here). I tend to be drawn to books that are set in real life but have a paranormal twist and this is exactly that (minus the werewolf exception)

Worth picking up, I can't wait to read the next one!

Thank you Netgalley, for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

This enjoyable book, kept my attention with its fast pace, interesting storyline and fun characters that just draws you in. Looking forward to the next book release.
While I really wanted to read this book, I feel that I need to read the first one before this one. As I began reading Saved by the Spell, I noticed that there were references from the first book. That is on me for not looking into if this was part of a series or not. From what I did read, Saved by the Spell is a perfect cozy mystery with a bit of spook added to it!
Saved by the Spell (House of Magic 2) by Susanna Shore
Publisher: Crimson House Books, Independent Book Publishers Association (IBPA), Members' Titles
Publication Date: August 15, 2021
Genre: Mystery & Thrillers | Sci Fi & Fantasy

Saved by the Spell is the second book in the House of Magic series by Susanna Shore and it is so good! This can be read as a standalone book, but you don't want to miss out on the fun of Hexing the Ex, the first book in the series!

I really enjoyed this book! It is a fast read that kept my attention. The story is captivating and fast moving! I loved the characters and seeing how they were developed throughout the book. This book kept me on the edge of my seat, there was just so much happening! This is truly a must read for supernatural mystery fans!

I can't wait for the next book in the series to be released in January! I can't wait to see what will happen next and it will make for a great bday present to me!

I'm so grateful to Susanna Shore, Crimson House Books, and NetGalley for providing me with a free copy of this ARC ebook in exchange for my honest review.
I was eagerly awaiting this book after reading the first one, and I loved it!  Saved by the Spell returns to Phoebe, Kane, and all the rest with a new spell making Phoebe mysteriously repulsive to men.  Is someone just out to get her, or is there more to it?  I thoroughly enjoyed finding out.  I think I liked this one even more than the first, since I knew the characters a little better.  While Saved by the Spell is similar to the plot of the first book in many ways, I didn't mind at all.  Phoebe's knack for getting into magical trouble shone through and I was very entertained by the antics of all involved.  In this book, I think there was a little more mystery as there seemed to be greater stakes to the spell and all it was involved in.  I very much enjoyed having past characters return and new characters introduced.   I though the way the characters and the story have begun to evolve by the end was very natural and a lot of fun.  There is plenty of room to continue this series for a while, and I absolutely can't wait for the next one!
Thank you to NetGalley and Crimson House Books for the advanced copy for my honest review. I had not read the first book in this series, but you don't have to have read it to enjoy Saved by the Spell. This was a fun little read filled with magic, an interesting group of (mostly) supernatural friends, evil masterminding villains, and a little bit of romance.

When Phoebe gets cursed (again) she can't believe her bad luck. When it actually turns out to be a spell, though, she is horrified to learn that it makes every man around her shutter in repulsion whenever she is near. But when she meets handsome stranger Jack and he is somehow not affected by the spell, she is immediately more drawn to him, and his charming ways.

The story that follows is a fun little mystery scavenger hunt of sorts as the members of the House of Magic to try and locate a way to reverse the spell, a way to stop the bad guys, and a way to keep the evil masterminds from taking over the city.

4/5 stars
Another novel by Ms Shore that transported me to actually be with Phoebe, Archibald, Ashley and the gang. She has another engaging and charming hit on her hands. Loved the plot and the hilariously strange hexes that Phoebe gets herself into. I cannot wait for installment number 3!
I really enjoyed the first in this series, so was delighted to pick this one up when it came up for review. It’s still fun and intriguing, with a cast of likable magical folks surrounding our decidedly non-magical heroine, Phoebe, who gets by in the magical world with a combination of determination and common sense.

Unfortunately, Phoebe does something too stupid for words in the early part of this book. Something which makes absolutely no logical sense whatsoever, when she decides to believe in a handsome stranger instead of the friends who care about her and her well-being, and it was so wildly out of character I found myself thoroughly annoyed. It wasn’t even entirely necessary for the plot! Eventually Phoebe bought a clue and started listening to her friends, but she’s still entirely too willing to believe in complete strangers. At what point does this stop being charming naivete and become hazardous foolishness?

Luckily, the House of Magic crew are facing off against a team of villains who are so villainous they can’t resist backstabbing and cheating each other, which enables Phoebe and her friends to eventually get the upper hand. There’s a bit of a reshuffle at the end of the book, with Phoebe’s friend Amber getting a promotion which came entirely out of left field for me - I don’t think there’d been sufficient setup for us to believe it was earned.

I feel like I’m picking holes here, but I enjoyed the first book so much and the execution of this one just isn’t quite there for me. There’s still a lot to like, however, and I’m not quitting on the series because it finally looks like Phoebe and Kane might be starting to warm up to something romantically. I’ll give this four stars.
Great second book in the series powers gained and mysteries solved. I loved the story and charcters hopefully the heroine will find love in the next book.
Many thanks to NetGalley and Crimson House Books for providing me with a copy of this eARC in exchange for an honest review.

I was so excited to get the ARC for this book, which is the second in the second in this cozy paranormal mystery series. The dust has barely settled from the curse featured in the last book when Phoebe is nailed by a nasty spell, which ends up being the start of a more sinister plot.

I enjoy reading about Phoebe, the only mundane person amongst a group of supernatural beings. She still manages to hold her own, but not in a way that makes me want to slap her for putting herself in danger - I feel like I can relate to how she copes with all these magical revelations. I also like how we learn about the magical world and beings along with Phoebe, which means that world building happens through her conversations and observations.

I’ve needed a palate cleanser book - something light where you know dire things aren’t going to happen because the goodies are totally going to triumph over the baddies. This was perfect, and I would continue to recommend this series for anyone wanting to try a cozy paranormal mystery.

Next book in the series is projected to be out Jan 2022 and I’m definitely marking it on my calendar!
A big thank you to NetGalley and Crimson House Books for the ARC.  I am voluntarily reviewing this book.  This is the 2nd book in a series.  I did read the first, but I still think you can read this one as a stand alone.  I actually liked this one better than the first.  Maybe because I had knowledge of the characters already, or they were more involved not sure, but this one for me was better.  Phoebe just can't get a break though, first she has a curse and this time a spell.   I enjoyed that there was humor in this one and some snark.  Phoebe is getting more attitude which makes her more fun to me.  I would recommend this book to people who enjoy paranormal mysteries.  4 stars
This is the first book by the author that I have read. I dived right into Book 2 without having read Book 1, but that was alright. I was easily able to catch on to who the characters are and what happened in Book 1 based on the references.

The story follows Phoebe as she once again finds herself in an awkward situation with magic. She has been spelled and is now repelling all men. This makes it difficult for her at work with her boss and at home. Surrounded by mages, Archmages, werevolves and vampires, Phoebe just might have a chance to break the spell. Who knows, maybe being spelled can come in handy or maybe not? Read on to find out.

The story is light and fast paced, the events developing rather quickly. The plot is straightforward but with an element of mystery that adds value to the magic of the book. I enjoyed reading this book and getting to know the various eccentric characters. The author has added in some humor to lighten the situations further and this helps to set the story apart.

I am definitely looking forward to reading the next book to join Phoebe, Archibald and all the others on their next adventure.
After reading the first page of this, I had to go and buy the first one! No because I didn't understand it, but because I knew I would love it. I read both book one and two in two nights (ok, so I didn't sleep much....) Susanna Shore is a fun and very entertaining writer. If you are after a fun, modern, urban mystery with a little fantasy thrown in, this is your thing! This is true entertainment with fun characters I don't want to stop reading about. If you pick this up and haven' read the first one, don't worry - you get enough background to make you want to go back and read the first one. I can't wait for the next installment of the series!
Saved by the Spell is the second book in the House of Magic series by Susanna Shore and is currently scheduled for release on August 15 2021. I do recommend reading the series in order, but the author does a good job of giving newcomers a good understanding of past events and relationships.

Magic and I hadn’t exactly had a good start, but thanks to a spell that made me repulsive to men, I was seriously considering becoming a witch hunter. A chance encounter with a charming stranger makes Phoebe dream of a happily-ever-after, until she learns that there’s a spell on her that makes her repulsive to men. Luckily her boss, Archibald Kane, and her new landladies are experts on magic. Only this one seems to confound them all. Who has spelled her and why? Is it a challenge on Kane’s leadership of the mages? Or is there a more sinister game afoot? Phoebe doesn’t mind the space men give her in the Tube, but her cousin’s engagement party is coming up. How is she to celebrate, if she makes half the guests nauseated? And how is she to charm the man of her dreams when she suspects he’s part of the problem? It might take the Archmage to break the spell—if only they could find him. A spell may be needed to save them both.

Saved by the Spell is a nice follow up to the first book in the series. I was glad to see more character development and growth, and the relationships between the group become deeper and more interesting. I liked the story premise, and think there were a lot of great ideas. However, I admit that I found myself wanting to throttle Phoebe on several occasions because I though many things were obvious early on. Clear clues and signs were ignored at several key moments, or information that was relevant simply not mentioned so many times that I was very frustrated. I did enjoy the ride, and thought the wrap up was very well done. I liked the read, but despite my enjoyment of the characters I think I am going to have to leave the series here. The mystery aspects seem to cause me more frustration than joy, but I have read so much of this sub genre that it just might be my anticipation of the solution rather than any fault in the story that is just making it not click for me.

Saved by the Spell is a good story with interesting characters.