Cover Image: Lose Your Breath (Detectives Kane and Alton)

Lose Your Breath (Detectives Kane and Alton)

Great to discover Dave's backstory. The characters as always were fab and very real  The story was heart breaking but positive.
I received this ARC for an honest review.

For everyone who has read this series, the author takes you back in Kane’s life during his time in Black ops. He finished a mission but is sent out again because of a kidnapping; this is where he first meets Annie. He gets her out of one place but it is one tense spot to the next. You see how he and Annie must work together at times just to stay alive and she gets to see him work and where she was once afraid becomes respectful then she falls in love.
  Dave never wanted or thought he could be with anyone until after meeting Annie and when they finally finish the mission they still are together. It would be later when a chance encounter happens and then they are together. That is until a man who was not taking no for an answer decided to end that. You also get a background with Wolf and how Kane ended up working with Jenna. Overall an excellent story to go along with all of the other books in this series, a very good read.
Thanks to Bookouture and NetGalley, too,
For my copy of this book, here's my honest review:

This is a superb prequel to the series of crime thrillers
Featuring Detectives Kane and Alton seeking killers.
This time it is the backstory of Kane
Sharing his past, explaining his pain.

He was a sniper, working in a US black ops team,
When all goes wrong, making it a nightmare, not a dream.
Instead of being rescued and brought out
To rescue a kidnap victim is his next shout.

With militants around, everywhere there's danger
Can he locate and rescue this total stranger?
This is an action-packed, fast paced read
Where keeping a cool head and having skills is what he will need.

Believable characters and an emotive plot
Together make this a read I really liked a lot.
It gives an insight into this character's life and so
I hope you'll make time to give it a go!

Personally, to Black Rock Falls I can't wait to return
To follow their next cases and about them both to learn.
This story helps readers to understand more
About what Kane went through before.
I received this ARC from Netgalley in return for an honest review.

If you have Detectives Kane and Alton series by D. K. Hood, now is your chance to jump on it.  This novella is a prequel to the main series.  It tells the story of Dave Kane's life and marriage before he actually became Dave Kane. An operative known as Ninety-Eight H, Dave worked his way up the ladder to become a protector of POTUS and part of the investigative side of the Secret Service. Our hero is tasked with the job of rescuing and protecting secretary Annie Parkes. Thus begins the love story of Dave and Annie. This novella explores parts of Dave; some we have seen hints of and some Dave has lost.  IN effect, we get to see how and what events shaped Dave Kane into the man he is the main series.

It is necessary to read or understand the rest of the series? No.  But, it adds to the overall mythology of the series.  Even though after 12 books, we know Dave Kane pretty well, it is nice to get more of not only his back story, but the backstory of the friendship between Dave and Wolfe. It also explains the exact sequence of how he ends up in Black Rock Falls with Sheriff Jenna Alton. This is an intense and emotional novella. Fans of the series will be pleased. The only thing better would be a novella exploring Jenna's past.
A wonderful edition to the fantastic Kane and Alton series. When you become invested in someone it's only natural that you'd want to learn more about their past and what makes them who they are and this book does just that!

Finding out about the past history of Detective Dave Kane and how he comes to be Black Rock Falls really adds depth and understanding to his character as well as shedding some light on his complicated and complex character.

A must read for fans of the series!
So I’ve read a lot about Dave Kane’s capabilities as the deputy sheriff and know fully well he’s a man not to be messed with. But when I heard D.K. Hood was sharing his back story, I was very much up for knowing about this deputy, despite my multiple visits to Black Rock Falls.

Hood packs a lot into this short read. It’s not just about Kane but also an insight to Wolfe. But the main focus is Kane. His time in the military, his time in the Black Ops. And how he met his wife. If you’ve read some of the Kane and Alton series you’ll know a bit of Kane’s back story but this packs an emotional punch – if you know, you know…

Lose Your Breath is very different from my trips to Black Rock Falls. The atmosphere is more of an action packed read. But that’s not to say, it’s got the signature intrigue and pace that Hood inserts into the Kane and Alton series. As a fan of the series, I relished this trip into Kane’s past and have a better insight in to what brought this man to my favourite place in Montana.
This sounds like a series I would love to invest time into reading.  As I haven’t read any of the previous books in the series, I can only base my review on reading Lose Your Breath.
I found the story was well written.  Lots of information about being a sniper which I found intriguing.
Definitely a action packed, suspenseful read.
I will be reading the previous books in the series!
Many thanks to NetGalley, the publisher and author for the opportunity to read this book for my honest opinion.  All opinions expressed are my own.
Wow this author never disappoints. I absolutely love this series, with each book better than the last. Heart-racingly  thrilling and fast paced this was a brilliant read that I just couldn't put down.
Lose Your Breath is the prequel to D.K. Hood's Detective Dave Kane and Jenna Alton series. It is Dave Kane's backstory and fans will enthuse over this telling of how and why he ended up in Black Rock Falls with Jenna. This novella is full of action, suspense and heartbreaking romance and it fills in the reader on how he met his wife, Annie Parkes. I am now eagerly awaiting the next book in the series and Jenna’s backstory. A pacy, powerful read.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel at my request from Bookouture via NetGalley. This review is my own unbiased opinion.
Don't know where to start ... First off I can't put into words how much I loved this book ...it was SO great to learn about Dave Kane before he moved to BlackRock Falls and hear about how he met Annie and to get to know her too as she has featured in the whole series and we also get to know what makes Dave able to switch into military mode in an instant when the moment requires it!
This book made me laugh and cry and the storyline had me completely hooked all the way through and lots of heart stopping moments too and the scene was set so completely I felt I was actually there ...there were some lovely aaaw moments too ... It just had all the feels and it has made me want to go back and re read the series again from the beginning! An absolute 5 star read !!!!

Thank you to NetGalley, Bookouture and DK Hood for the arc of Lose Your Breath my review is honest and unbiased.
How did ex-sniper Dave Kane find himself as Deputy Sheriff in Black Rock Falls, an area which has seen many serial killers. This is his story.
An enjoyable and well-written thriller story. A short prequel to the series.
An ARC was provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
The fans of this existing series will love this one. It answers the question .... what's the truth behind Deputy David Kane's secret past. we follow him as he goes from Black Ops to Black Rock Falls.

It starts with Annie Parkes. Leaving her office, she is abducted. David Kane is tasked with finding her. Strong, highly skilled, and secretive, he’s a loner and an outsider; the only man the military trust to find Annie before her kidnappers make good on their promise to kill her.

It's a harrowing journey once he locates where she is being held. The two of them dodge bullets, hide in abandoned buildings, and hope and pray the friendlies don't report them.

It's only 2 years later that David's old enemy rears his ugly head... once again putting Annie .. his now wife ... in danger.

As all the books in this series, it is well-written, fulled of action-packed suspense leading to an unexpected conclusion. Less than 200 pages this is a fast read.  The author has managed to pack a lot of action into this short story without making it feel incomplete.

Many thanks to the author / Bookouture /Netgalley for the digital copy of this crime fiction. Read and reviewed voluntarily, opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.
Lose Your Breath is the prequel to the Detective Dave Kane and Jenna Alton series and is a short novel that tells the story of how Kane came to live and work in Black Rock Falls, Montana and his crazy backstory. As a former special force’s sniper, Kane, the operative known as Ninety-Eight H, worked his way up the ladder to become a protector of POTUS and part of the investigative side of the Secret Service. Six years ago he had been on a mission in Syria when his handler Shane Wolfe, known as Terabyte, had diverted him to another mission altogether. Annie Parkes the daughter of prominent US General Parkes had been abducted by militants and may be sold into slavery if she cannot be located and rescued, so Kane must do everything in his power to find her and bring her home safe. She was kidnapped outside the US Embassy in Jerusalem, Israel, where she worked, by a man who pressed a gun against her head and told her to drive; then she vanished.

That is until Kane heroically finds and rescues her. The rest of the story details Shane’s attempts to covertly sneak both Annie and Kane across the border. Kane and Annie then end up falling in love, getting married and living a happy life until tragedy strikes. This is a compelling novella that not only has plenty of action but also builds Kane’s character by digging up and presenting his past to illustrate how he became the man he is today. At its heart, it's an action thriller with a love story at its centre, and although only 150 pages in length, it packs a powerful punch. It's captivating and emotional, but it is also fraught with danger and as they try to escape Israel unnoticed the tension is ramped up to a palpable level. Dramatic, pacy and full of both excitement and peril, you'll have a hard time putting this down and will go through a gamut of emotions as you progress through the story. I would love to see a similar book to explain Jenna’s backstory, too. Highly recommended.
Oh I loved this book. It was fascinating reading how Dave became Dave and how he came to be working in Black Rock Falls. We obviously knew some of his history but I really enjoyed filling in some of the gaps.

I can't wait to read Jenna's story now.

Looking forward to getting back to Black Rock Falls soon.
I would like to thank NetGalley and Bookouture for my ARC in exchange for an honest review.

This is series that I really love. Dave and Shane are two of my favourite characters in this story. D.K. Hood has such an amazing ability to make you feel that you are part of the family. I was absolutely absorbed and mesmerized. It is a short and an action packed story with a heartbreaking loss. If you are the fan of this series, you know how it ends but it was incredibly sad. Brilliantly written with full of suspense. It had me on the edge of my seat & I devoured it in a sitting. I enjoyed reading the background of Kane which is filled with action and heartwarming. Even though it's quite emotional, D.K. Hood wouldn't let me down. This book is an absolute must-read. I can’t wait to read the next book of this series. It deserves ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐.
I’m a huge fan of the Kane and Alton series and this prequel is absolutely brilliant.
We find out how Dave met Annie and how it all comes to a heartbreaking end for them.
We’ve had snippets of information from the series of books but this is a real eye opener. Kane is a focussed killer and protecting Annie is his mission. He didn’t expect to fall in love with her.
I liked the description Wolfe gave of the job in Black Rock Falls, and know now that this is the perfect place for Kane.
I can’t wait to read the Jenna prequel that’s being written too.
This is a must read for readers of the Kane and Alton series.
Thanks to Bookouture and NetGalley for the opportunity to read this book.
When secretary Annie Parkes is snatched from the street outside of her workplace, David Kane is tasked with finding her. Strong, highly skilled, and secretive, he’s a loner and an outsider; the only man the military trust to find Annie before her kidnappers make good on their promise to kill her.
But as Kane pulls Annie from a derelict building, gunshots ringing through the deserted streets around them, he realizes rescuing her is just the beginning. He needs to keep her close to find out who is behind her capture, and to keep her safe.
This is David’s backstory. I’ve been gradually buying the series but haven’t started to read it but now after reading how it began I’m eager to read more. Very well written & action packed, it had me on the edge of my seat & I devoured it in a sitting. I hope there’s a similar book about Jenna
My honest review is for a special copy I voluntarily read
Lose your Break – no kidding when reviewers said “you can’t put it down” they are completely right! I love the Kane and Alton series, and the veil of mystery that surrounds the background of the detectives, and this was a little peek into what makes Dave Kane, Dave Kane, and makes me like Wolfe even more.
You don’t have to have read the books in the series to read this one, but you will want to read them after!
Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for an early read for my honest opinion.
Fantastic,  I absolutely like this series. I couldn't stop reading once I started.  Definitely a must read .
A well written account of David Kane's background in the popular Kane and Alton series. It's an action packed novella, filled with great detail and it is well worth reading for fans of the series. Thanks to Net Galley for my ARC.