Cover Image: Lose Your Breath (Detectives Kane and Alton)

Lose Your Breath (Detectives Kane and Alton)

Lose your Break – no kidding when reviewers said “you can’t put it down” they are completely right! I love the Kane and Alton series, and the veil of mystery that surrounds the background of the detectives, and this was a little peek into what makes Dave Kane, Dave Kane, and makes me like Wolfe even more.
You don’t have to have read the books in the series to read this one, but you will want to read them after!
Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for an early read for my honest opinion.
Fantastic,  I absolutely like this series. I couldn't stop reading once I started.  Definitely a must read .
A well written account of David Kane's background in the popular Kane and Alton series. It's an action packed novella, filled with great detail and it is well worth reading for fans of the series. Thanks to Net Galley for my ARC.
Really enjoyed this book, it was a great insight into one of the characters back story.  Very well written, interesting and captivating.  Loved every page it was an excellent read.
This is a delightful quick little read that gives us Dave’s backstory.  Despite the short length of this book it is action packed and tells the story of Dave and Annie and brings us to how he landed in Black Rock Falls.   It also provides a glimpse in Shane’s past and the origins of his friendship with Dave.
Looking forward to the next book in the series.
I would like to thank Netgalley and Bookouture for an advance copy of Lose Your Breath, a prequel to the Kane and Alton series which explores Dave Kane’s backstory and how he came to Black Rock Falls, the Montana town he now calls home.

Six years ago Kane, not his real name, is in Syria when he is diverted from duties as a sniper to rescue General Parkes’s daughter Annie who has been kidnapped outside the embassy in Tel Aviv.

I thoroughly enjoyed Lose Your Breath which is a mixture of a love story and high octane action. It is not a long novel, more a novella, but, boy, does it pack a punch. It starts with danger and adversity during their daring escape from Syria, middles with love and heartbreak and ends optimistically on fresh beginnings. And throughout it all Dave Kane lives with the threat of death at any minute, which definitely ratchets up the tension.

I have no idea if all the security procedures around him are even possible or if the author is giving free rein to her imagination, but whichever they are fun and Kane’s unbelievable (in a good sense) backstory from before he met Annie will make me look at him in a different light. I hope Jenna is next for the treatment.

Lose Your Breath is a short, fun read that I have no hesitation in recommending.
I’d like to thank Bookouture and NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read ‘Lose Your Breath’ by D K Hood in exchange for my honest and unbiased review.

As Deputy David Kane revisits the grave of his wife Annie in Washington DC to say a final farewell he thinks back to when Annie was abducted in Syria six years ago and how his mission was to rescue her and bring her safely back home to her father General Parkes.

‘Lose Your Breath’ is an action-packed thriller that tells of David Kane and Annie Parkes and their married life that was dramatically cut short, and finally reveals the truth behind Kane’s arrival in Black Rock Falls as Deputy to Sheriff Jenna Alton and how he received his serious head injury.  Ms Hood has given us a short story that adds to what we previously knew and gives a better understanding of Kane and why he keeps a relatively low profile.  Although to my mind parts of the story were skimmed over a little too quickly, there’s a lot of danger, excitement and drama that’s compelling reading and I found I was turning pages quicker and quicker as I couldn’t wait to get to the end.  This is a must-read book for everyone who’s read the Jenna Alton and David Kane series based in Black Rock Falls and I can’t wait for the next part.
I really enjoyed this book.  It was a great storyline with excellent characters.  I would highly recommend this book as it was a great read.
This book is so aptly titled! It literally took my breath away! It was so wonderful to journey back in time and see what lead Dave to Black Rock Falls . If I didn't adore this character before, I certainly would now ! I now understand his reserve and the protective armour he wears. But knowing what he has suffered and the harrowing life he has lead, makes me yearn for him to have a happy ever after. Nobody deserves happiness more. Highly recommend this book even if you haven't read the brilliant Kane and Alton series. I guarantee you will be hooked.
Lose Your Breath is an epic story. That brilliantly takes you back to the very beginning and tells you how Black Rock Falls Detective Dave Kane aka Ninety-Eight-H becomes Detective Dave Kane. How Shane Wolfe Black Rock Falls M.E. and Dave's handler and friend came to be Dave's sole handler and friend, whilst also caring for his three girls and wife, who was valiantly battling cancer. A battle she sadly lost. And how Dave first meets his wife Annie.

And honestly, it's a page-turner of a story. That's packed with action and emotion, and I genuinely couldn't put it down. Oh, and the epilogue just about tore my heart out.

Would highly recommend.
The transitioning back to where David Kane came from was interesting and it provided an opportunity to know him before he came to Black Rock Falls, That gave the book a whole new storyline. I must say I did miss the group (Jenna, Wolfe, Emily, etc.) in the story.

The story had it all! It was a thrilling ride and my expectations were met. D.K. Hood's characters and settings are full of energy and vibrant! I suggest that you read the series in order to understand each character. Yeah, you'll wonder why Black Rock Falls pulls in serial killers, but you'll just have to read the books, right?

Thank you to #Bookouture and #NetGalley for allowing me AC of this book! You certainly made my day!
Thank you for allowing me to read #LoseYourBreath by #DKHood
This short story fills you in on Dave Kane’s backstory and how he came to be in Black Rock Falls working as Sheriff Altons deputy
Goes well with the series.
Just WOW.  I absolutely LOVED this book. I love a good series and the Kane & Alton series is one of my favourites. Some series  are all about the plot and the characters simmer along in the background, but in this series the strength for me is in the characters and their intriguing, unusual backstories. That’s not to say the plots are weak, far from it, but the characters make them the great reads that they are for me. None  of the ‘burnt out cops moved from the big cities with a cloud hanging over them’, the staple it seems to be these days. Oh no, these character’s backstories are way more interesting and original.
This short prequel explains how Kane gets to be in Black Rock Falls. It’s a brilliant insight into his life and fleshes out the details on what’s already been alluded to and explains his sometimes tortured emotions.
We also get to see some of another character Shane’s  backstory too.
Brilliantly written, I could smell the heat and the dust and feel the fear, as he rescues Annie an American National kidnapped Israel. I can’t remember the last time I stayed awake until 1am to finish a book.
It deserves many more than five stars
On its own this book is a cracking good read and would work perfectly as a standalone, and a great introduction to the series, which if you’ve not read I urge you to and I’m jealous of the fabulous binge read ahead of you
Detectives Kane & Alton #13

When secretary Annie Parkes is snatched from the street outside her workplace, David Kane is tasked with finding her. Strong, highly skilled and secretive, he's a loner and an outsider; the only man the military trusts to find Annie before the kidnappers make good on their promise to kill her.

Finally we get to hear David Kane's backstory in this well written and intriguing prequel. We learn in great detail how Dave and Annie met and fell in love, and how Dave ends up working alongside Jenna Alton. Wolfe also gets a mention a few times. This short novella shows us why Dave is so protective of the people he cares about. I loved learning about Dave's backstory and I'm looking forward to reading Jenna's backstory now.

I would like to thank #NetGalley #Bookouture and the author #DKHood for my ARC of #LoseYourBreath in exchange for an honest review.
Just how much turmoil and grief with rays of sunshine can one man stand? I have read this series, I am addicted to the series, but I was hesitant to read the back story.  I have issues that way.  I should have known D.K. Hood wouldn't let me down.  This is the first time I have read a back story that did not ruin the series, that actually made me care for one of the main characters (Dave Kane) even more, and lets be honest we all love Dave Kane. Though I think Terrabyte is chipping on my heart strings,  Sorry I digress.  Read the book. It is short and packs a punch.  It is emotional, scary, bad guys and sweet Annie with her own strength being there for our Dave. This book is a win all the way around.  Its a read in one sitting that pulls on your heart, has your breath racing as the bad guys are popping out and provide smiles, and yes, grab the kleenex.  Thank you D.K. Hood, Bookouture and Netgalley for the arc.  I freely volunteer my thoughts and opinions.
This was a complete change of pace. I felt like I was reading a Lee Child thriller.(which I love by the way)
Interesting to go back and read the character development.  Maybe Jenna is next?
Excellent story that I kept thinking about when I wasn't reading!
This is a short novella length book for the Kane & Alton series written by this author.  I’ve followed this series from the very beginning and have loved every book, so was excited to be able to read this one.  This short read goes back to before Deputy Dave Kane arrives in Black Rock Falls.  He’s working for the Special Forces and is on a mission to rescue Annie Parkes, the daughter of a US General who has been kidnapped in Syria.  We’ve only heard about Annie in flashbacks of Dave’s life throughout the main series of books, so it was interesting to finally meet her.

Working with his handler, Terabyte (also known as Shane Wolfe!), Dave Kane takes us on a thrilling and daring journey to get Annie over the border.  It’s only a short read, but it has so much action, tension and death-defying moments packed into it you just wouldn’t believe!  It’s was great to finally read what Dave was like before his move to Black Rock Falls, and the circumstances behind it.  The storyline was gripping and I honestly felt like I was watching an action film instead of reading a book!

I loved Dave Kane’s character before I started reading this book, and now I’ve finished it, I think I love him just that little bit more!  The storyline was captivating and frightening, but it was also so emotional, leaving tears in my eyes and a lump in my throat.  It was great to finally read the story of how Dave came to be Dave.  I have everything crossed that we are treated to the same for Sheriff Jenna Alton’s story also!  If you’ve read the main books of the series, then you really need to read this book as well!  Would definitely recommend!
Wow what a rollercoaster ride! Action packed and tension filled with some devastating losses.
As a fan of this series I loved learning why Dave is the man he is and how he ended up in Black Rock Falls.  I also liked that more was revealed about Shane and how he and Dave became friends.
I can't wait to read Jenna's origin story.
What a nice short story to get you hooked into the life of Dave, a secret agent. Love isn't on his list giving the line of work he is in but when he his asked to go retrieve a young woman his life is never the same again. Danger is just around the corner with this book and has plenty of action.
I can't wait to read the next book to see what he does next.
This book gives us the back story of Deputy Dave Kane - his military career, how he met his wife, the tragedy that befell them and how he needed up part of Sheriff Jenna Alton’s team in Blackwater Falls.  It also gives background to Kane’s relationship with Shane Wolfe and the work they did together before Wolfe also moved to Blackwater.

I’ve read all of this series and thoroughly enjoyed reading Kane’s story.

Thanks to Netgalley, Bookouture and D K Hood for the ARC of this book.