Cover Image: Lose Your Breath (Detectives Kane and Alton)

Lose Your Breath (Detectives Kane and Alton)

A quick yet fascinating read, I loved getting to know more about Dave Kane’s past. It was surprisingly emotional yet still managed to keep me on my toes. A great addition to the Kane and Alton series! Highly recommend!!
Title: #LoseYourBreath
By: #DKHood
Source: #NetGalley
Read on: Kindle Paperwhite
Published by: Bookouture
Pub Date: 6 Sep 2021
Genre: Mystery & Thrillers
Rating: 3.5-4/5

Thank you #NetGalley & #Bookouture for providing an ARC for #LoseYourBreath by #DKHood in exchange for a genuine review.

#LoseYourBreath is about Dave's rescue mission to bring back Annie home safely. It also shows the relationship between Dave and his handler Terabyte aka Shane Wolfe. This story tells about their action-filled adventure in Syria as they push through the militia-infiltrated area just to get Annie home. It also shows the readers that even a sniper with a heart of steel can fall in love and break his own rules.

This is the first book that I've read that was written by D.K. Hood and the first in this series. I didn't know that it was part of a very long series already. I think I would've had a better experience if I've read the previous books. This could work as a standalone but I guess because I didn't know about the other books I wasn't as invested in these characters as I should've been. I did like the way it was written and the thrilling chase that they've gone through in Syria. I felt like I was watching a movie - sort of like the Jason Bourne series or American Sniper sorta movie - or those types of movie. I recommend this book to everyone who loves action-packed adventure and suspense that is based on the military/war theme. Thanks again #Bookoutour and #Netgalley for providing a copy of this book.
A generals daughter is kidnapped and the military and POTUS send their best man to get her back.  A hard to put down thriller
This is a fascinating look at how Detective Kane ended up as Deputy Sheriff in Black Rock Falls. In previous books in the series we learned about David Kane's love for his deceased wife Annie. How he came to meet Annie, fall in love with her and his loss of her has been mentioned in previous books. This is an in depth look at Kane's life before Black Rock Falls. I enjoyed reading this background for Kane. His story is filled with action and heartwarming events as well as heart-wrenching events. Those following this series will enjoy this story.

I received an ARC in exchange for a honest review.
This is the story of Deputy Dave Kane's life before he moved to Black Rock Falls and met Jenna. A clear insight into Dave the sniper and how he met his wife Annie. It also gives us an insight into Shane Wolfes life as Terabyte. I thoroughly enjoyed it as I love the Detective Kane and Alton series!! Thanks to Bookouture and D.K. Hood for allowing me to read this Arc. Absolutely brilliant.
Ok this book was everything I needed and more!!! Learning more about Kane and his background was definitely intense and incredibly heartbreaking. I can't wait to see where this series goes and hopefully to now learn about Jenna's background!

Definitely a standalone read or before even starting the series!!
Thank you Bookouture and NetGalley for yet another fabulous book.

DK Hood can sure write and keep the reader engaged throughout the story.
This story was done so dang well I was completely intrigued and honestly didn't want this book to end.
Fast paced, plenty of action, believable characters, and some twists along the way.

Thank you again for this wonderful ebook copy!
It was wonderful to learn more about Dave Kane and his journey from being a special forces sniper o working with Jenna in Black Rock Falls. This is the story of how he met Annie and came to work in the secret service.

It is an action packed novella with a heartbreaking loss. If you have read the series you know how it ends but it was incredibly sad. I loved seeing how I his bond with his handler Terabyte, AKA Shane Wolfe.  I look forward to reading Jenna’s back story now.

Thanks to Bookouture and NetGalley for my advanced copy of this book I o read.
If you have not read the Kane and Alton series, this is your chance to find out how Deputy David Kane ended up in Black Rock Falls. As a Special Forces sniper, David was taxed with rescuing Annie Parkes, the daughter of General Parkes. Annie was working at the embassy in Israel when she was kidnapped. She was terrified until she was rescued by a man she came to know as Dave. All of his communication came from “Terabyte”, aka Shane Wolfe. Shane worked to get Dave and Annie out of the country while dealing with the impending death of his beloved wife. Full of suspense as they depend on “friendlies” to aide them in their dangerous trip to where a chopper would pick them up. Two years later there is still a bounty on his head as he once again meets Annie. Will they be safe or will evil reach into their lives once again? As I had read several books in the series, it was fascinating, yet sad to read Dave and Annie’s story. I received an advance review copy at no cost and without obligation for an honest review. (by paytonpuppy)
I love the Kane and Alton series and have read every one, all just as brilliant as each other so was looking forward to reading this. It was great to read this short book about Dave’s backstory and how he came to be in Black Rock falls and his relationship with Shane and Jenna. I hope we get to read Jenna’s also. D.K Hood is an amazing author and never disappoints. Roll on the next book in the series.
The Kane and Alton series is still very new to me. I have only read one book in the series. I love the backstory of Kane. Reading Lose Your Breath was thrilling  and exciting. I haven’t read a book that kept me on the edge of my seat in ages. I felt like I was living the drama and danger right along with Dave and Annie. I also kept imagining scenes out of The movie American Sniper. I really enjoyed this book. I’m also fickle because now I have a huge crush on Kane.
Many, many thanks to Bookouture and DK Hood for the opportunity to read and review "Lose Your Breath", the 'origin story' of Dave Kane that we have all been holding our breaths for (see what I did there?).
Those of us who have been loyal followers of the adventures of Dave Kane and Jenna Alton have been wondering how Deputy Kane got to Black Rock Falls, and exactly how his Annie died. This story answers all of our questions, AND takes us on a roller coaster of a ride.
Annie Parkes, daughter of a United States General has been kidnapped by militants in Syria, and will soon most likely be sold into slavery by her captors - but not if the operative known as Ninety-Eight H has anything to say about it.
In my mind, Ninety-Eight H (otherwise known as "Dave") is Jason Bourne on steroids - and he proves it time and time again as he not only rescues Annie from her captors, but shepherds her through peril after peril on their way back to civilization - all the while slowly falling in love!
Back in the USA, Dave (for he's decided that its a name he's comfortable with) opts for a slightly less dangerous career as Secret Service protection for POTUS, as well as criminal investigator. But he knows, and Annie also knows, that there's a bounty on his head thanks to his many exploits in the Middle East.
Annie and Dave Parkes (he takes her name, legally, so that his identity is further masked) are married and seem to have a happy life, when tragedy strikes again.
As a result, Dave decides to make a clean break with his past and takes a position of Deputy to Sheriff Jenna Alton in Black Rock Falls, an area which seems to have more than its fair share of problems - not least of which is a former sheriff's cover up of many murders.
Thus begins the adventures of Dave and Jenna (and, oh yeah, we're also introduced to Shane Wolfe - Ninety-Eight H's handler 'Terabyte' who will also play a large role in Black Rock Falls).
This can be read as a standalone short story, and will definitely introduce the reader to Dave Kane the enigma, and should lead them to the mysteries.
Now, we await the Jenna Alton origin story, Ms. Hood.
It's nice to learn the backstory of a,major player in a series. This book is a great prequel to the Kane and Alton series. The reader gets to learn what drives David Kane and what caused him to be the way he is. The action was engrossing and the characters are likeable, despite their flaws. This is a fast paced, action packed adventure.
Loved this novella! It's a quick read and explains much of Dave Kane's background, his relationship with Annie and Shane. I hope D.K. Hood does the same with Jenna! This is such a fantastic series, and I'm looking forward to the next installment, especially after learning more about Kane. Excellent!
This is Dave Kane's backstory and fans will fall in love all over again. This tells the tale of why he ended up in Black Rock Falls with Jenna. It's full of action, suspense, and a sweet and heartbreaking romance. I was so excited for this story and now I'm anxious not only for the next book in the series but the upcoming backstory of Jenna. D.K. Hood never disappoints and she is at the top of my must read list.
Amazing, Awesome novella detailing Deputy Dave Kane’s life before he comes to Black Rock Falls. A most incredible and fascinating story. If you haven’t read this series what are you waiting for? Anxiously awaiting the next book in the series and Jenna’s backstory in early 2022. Many thanks to NetGalley, Bookoutre and the Author for allowing me to read and review this book.
A big thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for the ARC.  I am voluntarily reviewing this book.  I have enjoyed all the books in this series that I have read.  I believe this is #13.  This reads well as a stand alone (although I was confused at the beginning).  This is a flashback and is the origin story of David Kane.  It has romance, suspense, and more suspense.  I loved it!  This is how he meets Annie Parkes.  I also enjoyed the glimpse we got of Shane Wolfe's life.  Jenna is not in this book except as a mention.  So if you are expecting Jenna you will be disappointed.   I couldn't put this book down.  Its only 152 pages but it is fast paced, and well worth the read. 4.5 stars
First off, Thank you so much for letting me review this wonderful book! I absolutely adored this series ! I’m enjoying the characters and the story!  The story flowed great and had me reading and finishing the book in no time! I highly recommend this book! Stunning, a page-turner which stays long in the memory!
A short but revealing prequel to the Black Rocks series and it helps explain why Dave is so protective not just of Jenna but of everyone else he cares for. I’m looking forward to reading the story of Jenna before her life changed and what makes her act and think how she does.
This book was everything I had hoped it would be! If you want to know more of Kane's backstory and how he met his wife, Annie, then this book is an absolute must-read.