Cover Image: The Flirtation Experiment

The Flirtation Experiment

This was a great book for the newlywed or the person who has been married for years. It is co-authored by two different women so we get to hear a few different perspectives on marriage. This is such a fun book and great challenge. :)
This book will absolutely help women everywhere in every season. It is written by two women in completely different seasons of marriage, and I can't tell you how helpful that was as a wife and reader. Also, there are so many different categories of experiments in the book, it makes it much more relatable and realistic. Whichever one I am feeling low in at the moment, it gives great inspiration. Now mind you, this is not how-to book and it also is not a pinterest/blog list of different things to do with your husband. No, it is the author's experiences and what they did that specifically meant something for them and their husbands. Which means, yes, the reader has to use their imagination, but also it gives the freedom to do something that will truly speak to the husband that we are married to.
If you’re looking for a fun read that both inspires you and compels you to put what you’re learning into action, I can’t recommend this book enough!

I pre-ordered this book as soon as it became available, and I waited with eager anticipation to begin reading it in a book club with some dear local friends. The Flirtation Experiment book did not disappoint! I've long admired both authors and haven't read a marriage book that addresses wives specifically in quite a while. Each day you read a chapter and choose an "assignment" to pull off with your husband. Some of my favorites included Playfulness and Blessing. I read ahead and created a checklist of sorts on my phone with each day’s theme and ideas for how I would implement it, so I can even go back and recreate this little experiment anytime I want!

I especially appreciated both authors’ vulnerability and faithfulness to Scripture. Marriage can be hard work, but it can also be fun.
I enjoyed the idea behind this book and it did provide a few helpful ideas that I appreciated. Overall I didn't find it to be incredibly deep or revolutionary, but it was a helpful reminder and a quick read.
The Flirtation Experiment by Lisa Jacobson and Phylicia Masonheimer is a book that all married couples should read. It is geared towards women, just because the authors are women. I loved the premise of this book and how the authors took on this “experiment” that they are now sharing with others. With interesting anecdotes and lots of practical ideas, this book can be life changing for marriages. I received a digital copy of this book from the publisher with no obligations. These opinions are entirely my own.
I really enjoyed this book. I found it to be just what I wanted, not the "let down hollywood style" romance, but from a practical, every day, what does that look like perspective. Their stories are real, raw, and honest about their experiments as well as their emotions as they tried out these different styles, even the ones outside of their comfort zones, but I think what I really appreciated the most, was the husband's perspective and thoughts that were added. What husband doesn't want to be pursued? What husband doesn't want their wives attention? Ladies, it's a win win for both parties involved. Love it!!!
*I received a copy of this book from NetGalley. This review is my own opinion*
This book was a pretty quick read but it wasn't quite what I was expecting. I thought it would be a little practical on how to flirt in your marriage. It is an easy read if you want to add a little spice in your life
All Christian wives will benefit from reading The Flirtation Experiment. Lisa Jacobson and Phylicia Masonheimer bring experiences from their own marriages to share with other wives. I love that one author had been married for less than ten years and the other for thirty years so wives from all stages of marriage will relate. The chapters are short and easy to read and the advice is practical and come with personal insight of carrying out the ideas.
I received a complimentary copy of this book, but all opinions are my own.
In a healthy, happy marriage, intentional flirting can bring a fresh dose of fun and romance. Lisa Jacobson and Phylicia Masonheimer bring wives practical ideas and biblical exhortation in their new book, "The Flirtation Experiment." Alternating authors between chapters, we're given the benefit of the wisdom of Lisa's experience from almost thirty years of marriage, along with the realism of Phylicia's perspective in the midst of young marriage and motherhood.

I'm only halfway through, but I'm really appreciating the authentic story-telling style, along with their biblically-based view of marriage. Whether you treat it as a thirty-day "experiment" or simply a gentle source of encouragement for your marriage, I think you'll be glad you read it.
To cut to the chase: I absolutely L-O-V-E-D this book.

I'm a Christian woman who has been married for 8 years to my college sweetheart. I found this highly relatable, encouraging, challenging, and ultimately motivating.

I related so much to Phylicia Masonheimer. And I really appreciated Lisa Jacobson's experience.

The overall outline of the book focuses on 30 "experiments" done within marriage to strengthen and reinforce affection, communication, and bring some lightheartedness back (if lost) into marriage. Each chapter focuses on something such as: playfulness, desire, vulnerability, or delight. The two authors swap back and forth between each chapter and I found their differences to be appealing and this should hopefully help the book reach a wider audience of Christian married women. There is so much wisdom here and much of it is gleaned through anecdotal writing. This makes it so easy to read - it's just stories from these ladies' lives. I thought they were genuine and wrote of real issues within a normal, healthy marriage.

This is a book to read and re-visit, to relate to and implement...

I highly highly recommend for any Christian woman who loves her husband and is looking to do exactly what the tagline suggests: put magic, mystery, and spark into your everyday marriage.

I received a copy from NetGalley for an honest review. I would pay my own money for this book because it is so valuable.
This book was a pretty good guide on how to add some spark back into your marriage. I appreciated that it came from a biblical point of view and was useful for all stages of marriage.
The Flirtation Experiment by Lisa Jacobson and Phylicia Masonheimer was a helpful book for thinking of ways to flirt with your husband again.

I found it helpful that Lisa and Phylicia supplied revelations from different places in marriages as one of them had only been married 5 years and the other decades. And their personalities were different so one thing would work for one of them and the other would handle the same thing differently.

Although they did not provide a list of flirtation tips which I would have enjoyed and found helpful.  They did provide some examples throughout the chapters. Some of which I plan to implement.

The book is not designed to be marriage counseling and they mention several times this is not for a woman in an abusive relationship.

I would recommend the book for a woman wanting to add a little flirtation to her marriage and bring back a little spark.

I received this book from Netgalley. I was not required to write a positive review.
You can see my full review at More Than a Review dot com where I rate the level of sex, violence, language and drug/alcohol use in books.
Married for 16 years, I sit right in between the timeframe of Phylicia and Lisa’s marriages. Ours isn’t perfect, but we are in a sweet spot of marriage. We are settled, we agree on most things (and respectfully disagree on others), and we like being around each other. Still, I liked the idea of bringing back “magic, mystery, and excitement into [my] healthy but sometimes complacent marriage.” The ideas in the experiment are basic but impactful. They are easy to implement (some easier than others) and can change the outcome of a day, a conversation, and even a family dynamic. I agree with the authors that a little intention can benefit a marriage in big ways.
I enjoyed this book especially since it was co-authored by women representing one earlier in marriage than myself and one more seasoned than I am. Those varied perspectives were valuable. The ladies were transparent in their own stories and shared their actual flirtation experiments. Each chapter concluded with a flirtation experiment that could be completed by the reader. The recommendations were often simple, fun, and sweet while others were more challenging, but all are beneficial in cultivating a thriving marriage.
In many ways it wasn't really what I expected. I was expecting some practical tips for how to flirt with your husband, I suppose. While you could find things like that in there, it wasn't the focus.

Each chapter focused on an aspect of your marriage and your relationship you could improve. One of which was the Flirtation Experiment. Another was the Affection Experiment. Each chapter shared an anecdote from one of the authors lives and how they challenged themselves with their own experiment. They then encourage you to do the same.

While it wasn't quite what I was expecting, I did enjoy my time with it and the reminders it gave. It did spur me to serve my husband a little better and get over myself a little more.
I received an ARC of this book from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was a fantastic book for anyone who is married or planning to get married. Phylicia and Lisa were both so transparent and had great ideas for bringing couples closer to God and closer to each other.
I have so much to say about this book, and much of it is far too personal to write about on this platform. But oh goodness - Christian ladies, pick this one up! I do not see how you can go wrong spending time with The Flirtation Experiment! ❤

The Flirtation Experiment was brought about by Phylicia watching none other than a Hallmark movie. If you've ever seen a Hallmark movie and you're past the newlywed phase, you've probably noticed what she did - that romance, specifically flirting, doesn't look like that once you've been married for a while! But whyyy is that?! So she researched and compiled a list of 30 ways to flirt with her husband and embarked on this experiment. She told Lisa about her idea and they joined forces to bring readers this helpful and honest book about what it looks like to intentionally express affection, support, love, and flirtation with your husband. The authors have different personalities and are at different points in life, but oddly I was able to identify with most of what both of them had to say.

I HIGHLY recommend this book! Start it today. Seriously, going into the busiest time of the year when so many of us do consume romantic movies and books - this is the PERFECT time to do your own flirtation with your husband. Whether you've been married for 5 years or 30 years, you'll love this book!!

Thanks to netgalley and Thomas Nelson for the free review copy. All opinions are my own.
The Flirtation Experiment by Phylicia Masonheimer and Lisa Jacobson

This book is for married women who feel that their marriage is dry, missing something, or you feel like you've become strangers who live together.

"Remember, the Flirtation Experiment is all about being a biblical woman and wife; you have so much to contribute to the upward direction of your marriage. So take courage and take action steps without apology or reserve."

This isn't a "how to" book. Phylicia and Lisa don't give a ton of advice, although they do give suggestions. They tell us what they did in their own marriages and how it affected them. There are 30 short chapters that go through different ways to pursue your husband. From romance to kindness, thoughtfulness to desire, we learn about how Phylicia and Lisa used these things to better their marriages through taking intentional steps and studying scripture

As women, especially millennials from the "purity culture", some of us have been taught that the man is the one who should do the pursuing. He should plan the dates, start the conversations, initiate sex, or be the romantic one. But it's not the case. These women did the pursuing and they made changes in their marriages, many times without their husbands noticing.

This book teaches that it's ok for us to take the first step in our marriage. If we want a richer, deeper, closer marriage, then we need to be the ones to make it happen.

The way the chapters are structures is they start out on what they saw in the marriage that needed to change and what the decided to do about it. Then they tell what they learned through Scripture about each topic. Next, we see how their experiment changed their hearts and marriages. Finally, we see a suggestion or idea of how we can apply this specific thing to our own marriages.

One thing to remember is that the things in this book are "experiments" these women did in their own everyday lives. This isn't a one size fits all, step by step instruction book to a better marriage. This is ideas and a jumpstart. Every one is different, so every marriage is different. And if you choose to implement some of these things, your own experiment will be different.

I loved reading this book, so thank you to NetGalley for the advance copy! This sweet book is chock full of ideas for flirting with your spouse, from a Christian perspective. The anecdotes that each of the authors provide with how their experiments went are insightful and entertaining. A quick read, but definitely a useful one!
I’d probably give this 3.5⭐️
Some thoughts:
-This is a fun read that serves as a good reminder to continue investing in your marriage no matter how long you’ve been married.
-There are two authors, one who wrote after being married 5 years, and one who wrote after being married for decades.
-There were some ideas thrown in that helped me consider where purity culture might have negatively impacted my view of how I pursue my husband.
-I would likely only recommend this for those who feel they have a “good” marriage but would like to make it even better. The ideas suggested for growth are important but pretty simple and are not intended to fix major issues.
Thank you to Netgalley and Thomas Nelson for the advanced review copy.