Cover Image: Cytonic

Cytonic

I absolutely love this series, and this installment. Everything about this book was familiar, and it was nice setting foot back into this world.
I love Brandon Sanderson's books, however this series is one of my least favorites, and unfortunately Cytonic is my least favorite book in this series.

The Skyward series is written for young teens, and that shows clearly throughout this series. While this book was good, I do feel that some of the middle books in this series are just filler. I enjoy the characters and the worldbuilding, but I spent most of the time wanting more. I will definitely read Book 4 when it is published, and hopefully the wrap up of this series will make it all worthwhile.

This series is good for the young sci-fi fan, but if you love Sanderson's adult fantasy, I would skip it.
With each book in this series, Brandon Sanderson manages to build on the mystery, intrigue, and science fiction to create a more robust and in-depth world. The third volume is no exception. A fantastic series with a beautiful set of covers.
I had a tough time rating this one. On the one hand I liked it. On the other it felt like a bit of a slog. It's not my favorite in the series. There is a lot of world expanding and character development for Spensa and M-Bot in particular. Overall this one felt like a bridge to the last part of the story.
I will read anything that has Sanderson’s name on it but this one fell a little short. I have a feeling that it is setting up the next installment but it still could have been more.  He is really setting us up for an epic story.
Maybe if I read all the books together, I wouldn't have struggled with books 2 and 3. In my opinion, Cytonic was much better than Starsight. I honestly couldn't say why it is I liked it better, or why I really didn't like the second book, but all I can hope for is that Defiant (book 4) pulls it all together and blows me out of the water.
Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for the electronic review copy of this book. Unfortunately, I did not enjoy this book as much as I was hoping to. The first half of the book was very slow and the rest was dragging out in places. I was contemplating just leaving it, but my curiosity got the better of me and I stuck it out till the end.  I’m not a fan of sci-fi space operas and hoped that this book would change my mind. Unfortunately that didn’t happen.
Brandon Sanderson is a great writer. This is hands down the worst book he has ever written. I don't doubt that it will find an audience, because anything he writes will. But I hope he moves away from that universe.
In this third installment, Spensa discovers new things about the Delvers.

OH MY GOD!  This book was incredible, it was an amazing journey, full of discoveries and surprises.

The book was a bit slow at the beginning because we were discovering a new place and there were many descriptions. But, as the story continues, it becomes more interesting.

We also discover that some of Spensa's friends are also as special as her, which I didn't see coming. I have to say that M-bot stole the spotlight, he changed completely and it made me love him more, I also cried for him, he deserves better.

I wish I could say more, but I don't want to say any spoilers.

It was a great story. The plot development from the first book to this one is mind-blowing. I can't wait to read the 4th book.
This was such a great read.  I love how Sanderson effortlessly weaves new characters in as he continues the story.
This ARC was offered in exchange of an honest and impartial review:
Pros: New worlds to be explored, with different settings and environments. Spensa is still the baddest out there, complete with her awesome sidekicks.
Cons: A completely unnecessary brand-new storyline, with more hastily introduced characters and confusing irrelevant backstories. Over-descriptive and full of pointless dialogues. Extremely disappointing sequel for a series that started so well.
ARC from Netgalley.
With the novellas (Sunreach and ReDawn) handling the story of Jorgen and the rest of Skyward Flight, this book is free to focus on Spensa's adventures in the nowhere. Her journey takes her far, making friends with pirates, questing while trying to get closer and closer to the center of everything, learning much more about her powers, AND (most importantly) discovering the secrets of the delvers.

... and while it ultimately turned out to be a good book....

The first 2/3rds of the book seemed slightly like repeated copies of the first two books. I found myself dragging through a decent portion of it. But the last third? WOW... these pages contain the excitement and lore I wanted, and definitely what I feel when reading a Stormlight Archive book... just wish this one hadn't waited so long to get to that.

I'm hoping that the final novella (Evershore) will help explain the changes we see in Jorgen at the end when Spensa finally comes back after being gone AND that Defiant (the 4th and final book currently being written by Sanderson) will wrap everything up nicely.

Overall, good book. Recommend.
Cytonic is a good conclusion to this teen series I highly recommend it.

If you are a speculative fiction reader and you are not reading Brandon Sanderson for some reason you are missing out.
Brandon Sanderson does it again with this much anticipated continuation in the Skyward series. Students will find a lot of to love in our main character's growth throughout this story. I also love how we are getting to see how expansive the world is. Brandon Sanderson is a master and world building and plot. Students will gobble up this new installment in the series. Highly recommend.
I really like Spensa and M-Bot relationship, so that saved me from giving it 2 stars because otherwise the plot was not giving for me.

Thank you Netgalley for the eARC, and thank you audible for letting me listen to this book because I probably would've dragged along trying to finish it without it.

Plus side I read the whole thing in about 3 hours.
I love this series and am constantly impressed by what Sanderson manages to do with his world. I found this a bit slower than the first two and I think it’s overwhelming to keep all of the characters straight. However, I loved the delvers plot and really digging into their past.
A little different from the last 2, but they have all been different from each other. Does a bit of world building while giving you another adventure.  I enjoyed it. Makes me think the series needs another 3 books at least! Thank you Brandon for the escape. This can’t be the end of our Spensa stories- can’t wait for the next few!….
Despite feeling like the second half of this book really shone, the first half lacked the magic that normally accompanies a Brandon Sanderson book.
There were many things that I did enjoy most specifically the sense of adventure that the entire book has. However, this book felt like it almost took place outside of the series and that despite everything that happened they didn't seem to get very far.
Essentially the best parts were so good that they eventually canceled out the parts that I was not a huge fan of.
Brandon Sanderson never fails me.  Trust the process.  Trust the journey.  There were many times during Cytonic where I questioned where it was going and then Sanderson hits you with it all in the end.  Cytonic is such a mind bending adventure.  Spensa is quickly becoming one of my absolute favorite literary heroines. Watching her growth as a character has been incredibly fun.  Cytonic was pure character growth. My absolute favorite thing about Spensa is how open-minded she is.  Her relationship with M-Bot & Doomslug, and now Hesho & Chet is the coolest!

#Cytonic #NetGalley
Cytonic is the third book in the Skyward series. I felt the first books in the series were more action packed and this book was more about finding the history with a little bit of action thrown in to keep you reading. Of the three books this was not my favorite but I understand why it was written and I am looking forward to the next book.  I think it also really needs to be noted that the cover art is so eye catching. 3.5 stars

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this ARC in return for an honest review.