Cover Image: The Yellow Suitcase

The Yellow Suitcase

A book I can't rave about as even though it was pretty easy to read it just didn't have the Oomph I like when read a book.  And by that I mean it didn't grab my attention and draw me in as I would have expected.

I didn't like the story much, it was a bit 'One Person' and it was rather boring to say the least.  I stuck it out but can't say I am happy about it.

Not my kind of book.
Thank you NetGalley for sending this arc for an honest review!

If your looking for an lgbtq romance set in 1995, with the aesthetic vibes that remind you somewhat of evlyn Hugo, than this might peak ur interest. Typically I enjoy these kind of stories especially with the diversity of lgbtq romance in media today. Yet for some reason this book did not captivate me as much as I wanted it to and I was unable to feel that emotion I felt I was promised to be given.
An ARC of this book was provided by the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.

This was not my kind of book. Maybe my expectations were a bit high because it seemed like an interesting read, but I simply cannot enjoy a woman with internalized misogyny and men who get excused for abusive behaviour. Also the focus on physical appearance is not something I enjoy.

Some people might enjoy this book, but it just wasn't for me.
The Yellow Suitcase was a cute romance with LGBTQ+ representation. I wish it gave more detail about where Alyssa came from, and the beginning took a while to get going. By the end of the book, I was invested in the story, but I was more concerned with the main character's husband and not the main character.
I really tried to get into this book but couldn't.
The main character was not likeable.
I found it very insulting towards women.
I really wanted to love The Yellow Suitcase. I was hopeful and intrigued by the description, but it just was not the book for me. I did not enjoy the writing style. I often felt like I was reading a young person's diary with the dramatic and immature narration, complete switches in verb tenses, and seemingly endless number of sentences beginning with "I."

The narrator's desire to create a successful life for herself was admirable, especially considering the journey she would take to do so, but the way she talked about and viewed other women screamed misogyny to a point I could not ignore. I would be absolutely SHOCKED to learn that this book was not written by a man. By chapter two, I was already extremely bothered by the obvious prejudice against women. I truly hope that any readers of this book recognize how inaccurate and insulting the portrayal of a woman's thoughts are, especially regarding other women. For this reason, I will not be recommending this book to anyone.

If you are someone that is not bothered by intense first person narration, and can overlook the main character's internalized misogyny, you might enjoy this book.
Thank you so much netgalley and the publisher for providing an arc!
I devoured this book and loved every second of it. Also, really like the worldbuilding, and how the author can create a world that has the capability of making us vicariously live through it. I feel like the introduction was a bit too slow-paced for me. The characters are fairly interesting.
Henceforth, it was quite a good read.
Beautiful. I believe this book was an easy,, smooth read and beautifully written.
I adore the fact that the author based the story on realism and showed that life isn't always perfect and doesn't always work out as planned..

In The Yellow Suitcase,  Clark portrayed the life of the main character, Alyssa. Alyssa moves to another country and her journey shows us how she difficulties that people in foreign countries often face as well as the challenges of moving to a new setting whilst not knowing anyone around you.
I came to admire Alyssa's determination throughout the book and strive to be more like her in my everyday life. Alyssa leads with confidence even in her times of confusion or misunderstandings.

The only thing that I was personally not fond of was the over-kill of detail given throughout the book. I love stories that are written efficiently and that are forthcoming and to the point with information.

Overall, 4 out if 5 stars.

I'm gonna start with saying that I wouldn't recommend this book to anyone 'cause it was a not so entertaining waste of time. Just read The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo.

I'mma try to point the mistakes I found in order

Eastern European/Romanian Debacle
First I picked this book up specifically because the main character was Romanian. The book doesn't mention it but her last name is 100% Romanian. I would never, even in a foreign, country refer to myself as an Eastern European when asked where I'm from. Europe is not a country. Also, it seemed like she was from Mars. How can you say you don't know the concept of a walk-in closet? Along with any other difficulty she encountered. Oh in my country we don't have/do this. I only have 3 channels at home. It's in the '90s after the revolution so no. It's not accurate. Ordering food is such an unfamiliar term? Her saying the US is safer and then immediately finding a stashed gun was the highlight of this entire thing. What did you think dumbass? Somehow she is unaware of racism???  Not knowing the language what's she gonna do? 'Super Easy Barely and inconvenience" When we're still on the Romanian rant. The name of the Romanian people Zachary? Tobi? No way. Maximilian and Silvia fit. Except for the parts where her name is inexplicably spelled Sylvia.

.r/MenWritingWomen
"Hearing in a mental monologue that's like "I love standing right in front of the mirror and spending quality time there" must be the lamest excuse to accentuate the character's body mainly her breasts. Who just wakes up and goes to the mirror to look at the titties? Happens constantly in this book.
Also, the narrator brings up a friend who told her "She lost weight because she became as obsessive as her". *confusion*
"I guess girls need attention from boys all the time. They can't be without it's like a fish can't be without water. I think it's in the female DNA" o_o
Still on that page while she looks in the mirror she has this brilliant thought "Here is this girly girl, and I'm torturing her. I'm asking her feminine mind and body to be a fearless, brave man. My body and real personality were feminine, fragile delicate, with a quiet, good-tempered manner. But I could also force myself to be masculine-fearless, brave and tough". Word for word what it says in the book.
This goes on for about 2 pages and is a constant thing in the book along with her breasts.
Every woman in this book is somehow related to a man (except Silvia), she did this but it's scared her husband will see, she fought with the husband ran with the kids, can't hire you husband will be mad. These are just from the background characters. Also, the sexual assault was excused 'cause he was drunk...
The book is well written and easy to read. I was hooked from the very first line. What i enjoyed the most was how the author showed that life is never a fairytale. It showed the struggles most people face in a foreign country. I liked reading Alyssa's journey, it accurately portrayed how difficult it is to move to a different country where you don not know anyone. She was so determined and did not give up in the face of hardships. Another thing that I really admired was how she always put her 'goal' first and was actually determined to reach it. The writing style is simple which I think is because the book is from Alyssa's point of view, who is not well spoken in English. One critic I  have is how sexual abuse was downplayed and the controlling behaviour of a specific character was never acknowledged. The characters that we meet through Alyssa's journey were interesting and different, they all had flaws but it was never their whole personality. The author describes everything in a lot of detail which I liked. But i felt the ending was rushed and wrapped up too quickly. Despite that I was satisfied by how it ends.