Cover Image: What We Harvest

What We Harvest

A sharp new voice that delivers a wonderfully horrific debut absolutely dripping in atmosphere.

Wren's town is slowly being eaten by the blight: a silvery rot that has taken over the farms of her neighbors and gotten the entire town quarantined. When it hits her farm, and her parents are missing, she has to call her ex-boyfriend in for help, and things only escalate from there.

What We Harvest is easily my favorite YA horror and Ann is going to be an author to watch for years to come. She weaves the horror of the blight, with the generational horror of the things your family was willing to do to get what they wanted and what you have inherited from it. I was in love from the first chapter and read the book in 2 sitting because putting it down was just not an option.

You gotta read it.
Small Favors meets Wilder Girls in this fast-paced thriller about a town with magical properties and the blight slowly killing them all.
I was really excited to read this but it ended up being a disappointment. The summary had me hooked but from the first chapter I knew it was going to be a struggle. Wren didn't make the best decisions which unfortunately produced severe consequences and it became redundant after a while. Some passages I skimmed through to get to the action parts because the slow parts didn't keep my attention. Thank you for giving me the chance to read this, NetGalley.
Engaging characters, good horror component.  I enjoyed this book.   A little bit slow in the middle but picked back up and the ending was good.   Definitely more substantial than a lot of other YA novels I’ve read.
This was such a great read! the mystery of what was happening was well developed - the characters and the tension were intriguing and kept my attention. Overall a really great read!
If you love "Small Favors" and/or "House of Salt and Sorrows" by Erin A. Craig, and even "The Bone Houses" by Emily Lloyd-Jones, this book is for you! This book has very similar vibes and writing in the best way. I really liked the concept of this blight slowly killing these farms and the girl who wants to stop it. The horror descriptions were pretty nasty at times and the author did a really great job pulling you into the story from the first sentence. This was also a good length, never too short or long which is rare for me in YA these days. I admit that the end was a bit rushed and a little too easily resolved but this was still good. A great debut that's perfect for the spooky season!
A very interesting story! It is well paced and keeps you wondering what exactly is going on and how it would end. It has a creepy vibe and is just a little bit gory at times. It is a very quick read and hard to put down.

I don’t want to give anything away, so I will just say that personally I would have preferred a different ending, but that is just my preference.

The book was written well and I think would be one the YA crowd would be really into, but also one adults would enjoy too.

Thanks to Net Galley and Random House Children’s, Delacorte Press for this digital arc in exchange for my honest review which is not affiliated with any brand.

#NetGalley #WhatWeHarvest
⭐⭐⭐

All wrapped up in a neat little bow.

What We Harvest is genuinely creepy. You have small-town secrets, zombie-esque creatures in the woods, and voices coming from seemingly nowhere.

This had imagery that was truly nightmarish and I was so here for it. People are disappearing in Hollow's End and everyone knows why — the Blight. An oozing, silver toxic waste that has dug its claws into all the magical crops that kept the town alive for over 150 years. When we enter the town, it's already quarantined by the government, though no one cares to intervene. Instead, we follow Wren as she tries to unravel the mystery of the Blight and save her parents, her love, and herself, before it's too late.

I am so back and forth about this book. I truly had a good time, let's just say that first. It was fast-paced and well-written. I found myself holding my breath during tense scenes and flying through pages to get to any sort of answers because even though the conception of some of the major plot points seemed a bit absurd, I still *needed* to know.

Honestly, I laughed at points I shouldn't have laughed at just because there ended up being so many elements that just kind of jumbled about and felt a little silly. The ending was — em — probably a bit more mystical than I would have expected for a book that relied on darkness and grit and gore the rest of the time. I didn't dislike it necessarily, it was just a shift in the mood.

Overall this was a super fun read for October and I give my thanks to Netgalley and the Publisher for granting me this ARC in exchange for my honest review. If you want something spooky and bloody — definitely pick this little gem up!
What We Harvest is a is a wonderful and incredibly rich fantasy novel, so well built and fast paced that I wasn't able to put it down till I reached the end. I was absolutely captivated by the atmosphere, and the characters.

This novel submerges the reader in a landscape so imaginative and detailed that the information of the world building/plot never feels forced, and is never difficult to understand or picture in one's mind. I had an enjoyable time reading this and it held my attention the entire way through that I finished it within the day! I enjoyed every page and thought that the plot/story was very unique. Would recommend to anyone!
I'm not sure what I was expecting when I picked this one up, but it wasn't this. I wasn't expecting a beautifully lush fantasy with undertones of horror, something creepy enough to make even me scared. I loved this so much, and I wasn't ready to leave the world it created.

My favorite thing about this mightve been the atmosphere. (I say mightve because it's awfully hard to pin down a favorite when the whole book is amazing) It was lush, beautiful, yet delightfully wicked. I knew when I saw the cover this would be gruesome, but I wasn't expecting it to be quite so. It was graphic, and I loved it so much because of that. It was the perfect book to escape into, even though it did terrify me at times.

I also really loved our main character, Wren. She wasn't particularly special or talented, she was just determined. This in itself is a beauty I can admire. Things only got better when we learned how far she was willing to go, and how much she would have to lose to achieve her goals. She was a relatable character, and one I wish we could return to.

Although I'm not a huge creepy/horror reader, I really loved this one! It was the perfect mix of gruesome and lyrical, and it'll stick in my mind for quite some time

Thanks to Netgalley for providing a free copy in exchange for an honest review!
First of all, thank you to Random House Children’s for the free eARC in exchange for an honest review.

I love love loved this book! There were so many moments I gasped out loud, cringed in disgust, and felt pain for the characters. I highly recommend this book for anyone who loves horror with a little bit of romance. Perfect October spooky read!
What We Harvest is a debut YA novel by Ann Fraistat, but it’s sure to have a larger audience than that, from the haunting cover alone! An idyllic farm community that is part tourist attraction due to its unusual produce begins to experience a terrible malady known as the blight, which affects not only the crops. Wren takes it upon herself to remedy the problem on her family’s farm with dire consequences, and later asks for help from her neighbor, and ex, Derek, when her parents disappear after curfew. Derek agrees to help, knowing their farms are all the futures they have. The tension in the novel is immediate, and as the story unfolds, it ramps up even more as situations warrant decisions that even the adults have struggled with. There is a natural flow to the story, and much mystery; everyone at Hollow’s End has secrets,ancient, malevolent secrets.