Cover Image: The End of Getting Lost

The End of Getting Lost

I received a complimentary copy of this book. Opinions expressed in this review are completely my own. (via Netgalley)

I think it was a combination of the writing style and the characters being pretty unlikeable but I struggled to get  into this one.
I found this to be a rather oddly written book in that the author wrote with a detached style.  I felt as if I were looking from the outside at the two m Ain characters, Gina and Duncan.  We are misled the first third of the book thinking Duncan is up to no good as Gina suffers from memory lapses due to an accident.  The truth is slowly revealed as Gina and Duncan travel through Europe.  I found it too slow paced and removed for me.
The book jumped around in time, Gina and Duncan were both manipulative and hard to like.  Kept waiting for the book to get better but I found that I just didn’t care about either of the characters. Wanted to like the book but was glad to reach the end.
Gina and Duncan are very much in love and perfect for each other. At least they think so, but their friends and families, not so much. They are on their European honeymoon, in a time before cell phones and social media made everyone accessible all the time. Gina winds up with a head injury that leaves a gaping hole in her memory. Duncan is wonderful, explaining things to her so she doesn't feel quite so lost. Odd though, he doesn't want her to call or write to her friends and family. Does he have something to hide or did she do something unforgivable that she doesn't remember?
Told in the past and the present from both of their perspectives, we learn how their relationship began and the challenges they faced. As secrets are revealed, it became apparent that both of them had things to hide, but does that make one of them a calculating villain?
Trying to figure out what was going on had me switching my guess after almost every chapter. Just as I was getting close to the end, I made my final prediction, and I was wrong. This book kept me up late and it was worth the lost sleep. It was so hard to put down with so many twists and turns and I just had to know who was telling the truth.
How have I not heard of this author before?  I plead some type of head injury when my TBR pile fell on top of me yet again. 4.5 stars.
Gina and Duncan have a relationship bordering on abusive, then Gina is in an accident, suffers some memory loss and that's when Duncan decides he can improve their marriage going forward. I liked that we get a peek into the past of these two and their relationship and the fact that the book took place in 1996 where we didn't have cell phones, social media and the internet was new, it gave the plot a certain edge. I enjoyed getting the point of view from both Gina and Duncan, the writing was immersive and plot was refreshingly new. I was able to read this book in a single sitting and I loved the suspenseful atmosphere and I loved the setting of the different European cities.
"The End of Getting Lost" was not a book that I was able to lose myself in. I found both Duncan and Gina to be manipulative and unlikeable.

I was continually waiting for the other shoe to drop, and when it finally did--it was a bit anticlimactic.
I wanted to love this book, but it came up missing something for me.

However, I DID love parts of this book. The writing style was beautiful. The glimpses into the past of our main characters were great, as well. It was interesting to see how each character was raised and how that influenced their personalities and character traits. There was even a twist at the end that I didn’t expect which is always a great thing for me. But, I still wanted more. There were bits that were so lackluster that I wanted to skip right over them. Parts of it seemed super unimportant to me. I also had a hard time liking the characters in this book. I tried to love Gina and Duncan, but I just couldn’t. :(

Am I happy I read the book? Sure. Would I read it again? Probably not.

The End of Getting Lost: 3 ⭐️
I received a complimentary copy of this book "The End of Getting Lost" and all opinions expressed are my own. I had a hard time connecting with the characters on this one. I feel I wasn't invested in this story at all.
I liked this much more than I thought I would. I very much had to turn my brain off, because thinking about any of the logistics of this for too long would make me crazy, but it's extremely well-written and Gina & Duncan are VERY compelling. I struggled with the ending, but an end of a novel won't please everyone, so this wasn't a huge deal. I would 100% recommend this to anyone even a LITTLE interested in the plot, because it's really quite good.
This is the story of Gina and Duncan. Gina suffers and accident causing memory loss, she can't remember the last year of her life. Their relationship is struggling at the time and Duncan feels this is the opportunity to make things right.

Are they meant to be together, when their upbringing was so different? Or are they more alike that we know?

Gina and Duncan are from two different worlds, but are they more alike than we understand?

The novel is well written and follow their path, a path not without problems.
The book is set in 1996, before easy accessible communication was available. It’s the story of Gina and Duncan, and the manipulation and untruths that go on between them and the people around them. I wouldn’t categorize this as a mystery, rather a chase, with secrets hidden and uncovered.

For me, all the back and forth, combined with lies and deceptions, made the end saccharine and unbelievable.

Thank you Netgalley for this ARC.
This book is the first book in a long while that I looked forward to reading each day and actively stole minutes throughout my day to try to get a few more pages read. The suspense built in reading the different versions of perspectives was captivating. Duncan and Gina made for perfect role playing characters.
This was one crazy book.   I loved how it was unique with a story I really hadn't read before.  I love how the crazy twists kept coming, and every time I thought I knew what would happen next, I was oh so wrong.

It had a strange, detached writing style that somehow reminded me of The Talented Mr Ripley..  This style and the actions of the characters made it hard to like them.      That being said, it was interesting enough and crazy enough that I didn't care that I didn't like them.

The method of having the couple alternate sides of the story so that you got the whole picture was the perfect wat to tell this story..

I want to thank the author, the publisher and #netgalley for the ARC which did not impact my review.
The End of Getting Lost really reminds me of thrillers of the past. This book hits on every note and I was intrigued at every turn. The plot of the book is original as well. Authors tend to keep regurgitating the same concepts over and over again but that was not the case here. How far will you go for love? Thats the central theme of the book. The ending of the book was a genuine surprise!
I am an avid reader, never not in the midst of reading a book, and so it is always wonderful to find a novel like “The End of Getting Lost” with its very unique storyline and an ending that took me completely by surprise.

Basically this is a story of a young man who is trying to recapture/win back the love of his life.  The character development, which gives the reader great insight into both main characters, Duncan and Gina, is outstanding.  I felt the author was able to more than capture your attention with a story that just keeps you, almost on the edge of your seat, trying to figure out how Duncan will be able to continue his ruse.  At the end of the day, I have to say this is one great book.  (I was given this book from NetGalley for my honest opinion, but I would have gladly purchased it—it is that good.)
A love that’s an obsession , that’s what this story is really about . Duncan literally goes to the ends if the earth to keep Gina’s Love at least that’s what the author leads us through , but is this love all that it seems ? Gina has lost her memory and only remembers her marriage to Duncan , and what he does to keep her is  meant to be a long and dramatic adventure. It is for the most part but I found myself getting travel weary which accounts for four stars . This story does lead to a surprising ending , which made ne glad I stuck with it to the end. Thanks NetGalley for providing this book for an honest review.
My thanks to the author, publisher and NetGalley for an ARC of this novel in exchange for an honest review.  Great story, kept my attention until the end.  Writing was great however I felt it was a little bland.
A fast read about an obsessive love affair, not really much of a thriller and written in a somewhat detached style that made it hard to care about either of the main characters.  It was set in various European cities and that made it more interesting
This is a hard one to review, because I didn’t find it quite as thrilling as I want my thrillers to be, but definitely think it had some elements of mystery and thrillers genre.  I do think it was well written, with very well developed, but unlike able characters.  I am new to this author, but after this one would definitely give them another go, as it did hold my attention from beginning to end.  Pact full of lies and deceit, which I loved!  Would definitely recommend to those looking for a suspense story, which is quite intriguing!

Will buzz around platforms and use Top Amazon reviewer number on release!
Review of eGalley

The year is 1996. Gina Reinhold and Duncan Lowy are traveling around Europe, he keeping watch over her as she recovers from a fall and a head injury that caused her to lose her memory. Gina, a dancer, and Duncan, a composer, fell madly in love; now they are on a romantic European honeymoon.

Or are they?

As they travel around the continent, their pasts threatening to catch up with them, it becomes clear that Duncan is hiding something. What brought about the deception and how far will he go to keep Gina from remembering their past?

The story, told alternately from Gina's and Duncan's viewpoints, moves into the past to provide the necessary backstory for Gina and Duncan, neither of whom are likely to endear themselves to readers. While believable, neither one is particularly likable.

A compelling, introspective look at love and marriage, the narrative is nuanced and suspenseful, dramatic and illusion-filled. The credible characters and the strong sense of place anchor this story; the unfolding narrative explores the extremes to which passion will drive someone and leaves readers to decide if this is a story of love or one of obsession.

Suspense builds as the unsettling, twisty plot catches readers in its web of lies and deceits . . . and leaving them wondering just what is true love, anyway?

Highly recommended.