Cover Image: The Violence

The Violence

A thank you to Netgalley for sharing the ARC in exchange for an honest review.

What to say about this one that hasn't been covered in the plethera of raving reviews? Not a lot. Won't bother with a recap, but will reiterate that it's pretty damn awesome, especially for a 500+ page debut. Not quite dystopian nor is it a zombie mob story, however there are certainly echos of both. Feminist to the core and all the more stronger for the author's disclosure of her history of horrific abuse before the story started rather than in the postscript beause it set the framework and solidified the knowledge based on her experience. As the title so aptly illustrates, it's violent, gory, and at times downright gruesome, so it won't be for everyone. Nevertheless, it's one of the best books I've read so far this year. Also excellent on audio and I blew through the 18 hours at lightning speed. Highly recommended for those not scared off.
Wow this book blew me away. Major trigger warnings for those triggered by physical and sexual abuse, harm to animals and well lots of violence, but the author makes sure to include a forward explaining that the novel contains all of these triggers. With that being said, I enjoyed this story immensely. The characters were well developed and I enjoyed watching them grow as the story unfurled. It was creepy, sad and at times downright terrifying, but I loved it every step of the way. Some of the characters were horrible versions of humanity, and while most didn't end up redeeming themselves in the end...some eventually did. I was on the edge of my seat from page one...I had to know what was going to happen next. Highly recommend.

Many thanks to @netgalley and the publisher for an advanced readers copy in exchange for an honest review.
Sometimes I am blown away by available books on NetGalley, and The Violence is one of those books that truly delivers!

Not for the faint of heart, as there are several gruesome scenes, The Violence centers around one specific family as another plague begins taking over our country.

Referred to as simply the violence, once a person contracts this virus they are prone to blacking out and committing a horrific act, with no recollection of what transpired.

I definitely recommend this book to horror and dystopian fans
This is a different kind of pandemic.  This one has no known cure, can affect anyone, anywhere.  It causes death to those that encounter it.  No one knows how to cure it or stop it.  No mask, no social distancing slows it or stops it.  No one knows what to do, going out of your home could get you killed.  Can the violence be stopped?
Delilah S. Dawson once again demonstrates her incredible skill as an author capable of heavy lifting while also entertaining, this time by tackling the unfortunately always timely issue of domestic violence as set against the background of "the Violence," a mysterious infection that causes people to lash out violently at anyone in their presence. Starting with the blunt and personal foreword from Dawson, readers brave enough to take this journey along with main character Chelsea Martin will come out the other side stronger.
This book is brutal, so beware of the trigger warnings: animal abuse, domestic abuse, death, violence and many others.
The idea of the book was really, really interesting. I did enjoy this book, even though it felt a little bit too long at some points and I struggled getting into it.
“The Violence” comes with a content warning from the author that is certainly appropriate. This book is not for every reader.  It is dark and difficult, a portrayal of abuse and power.  It contains physical and mental abuse, bullying, and rape.
If you are still reading this review, then take heart, the book is also a story of resilience, humanity, healing, and hope.  There are characters to hate and characters to support, ones that are incredibly evil and others that are wonderfully self-sufficient.
I received a review copy of “The Violence” from Delilah S. Dawson, Random House Publishing Group, and Ballantine Books. This is a difficult and challenging book, but it brings a social problem, a catastrophe to the forefront that must be confronted in all its terribleness.
I cannot give this book "five stars" because it is NOT for every reader, but for those who are prepared to read "The Violence," it will be a thought provoking five-star read.
I really enjoyed this, despite it scaring me all to hell. I'm going to start checking homicide rates on a monthly basis.

The characters were good and I loved the backstory of Patricia and Chelsea and what made them the way they are..This reminded me of Stephen King in the early days, and I don't use his name lightly in a review.

What a fabulous TV series this would be.
Well this book was wholly unexpected and so was here for it. It was so unique and original and quite frankly like nothing I have read before. I loved the Originality of this one but be warned this one is not for the faint of heart.
Thank you for an advanced copy!
When I first read the synopsis for this book, I knew I had to read it! It lived up to the expectations I had, and there were even a few surprises along the way including the author's note in the beginning of the book. It was something I didn't expect, but I'm glad it was included.

This reminded me of the Walking Dead, but with an all female cast as main characters. It had the violence plus all the gore, and it had plenty of people getting killed off☠️ There was nonstop action going on, and I can totally picture this book as a movie!

If you don't like reading about covid/viruses or you are triggered by any of the TWs I mention at the bottom of this review, this might not be the right book for you. But on the other hand, I definitely recommend this to those who love reading dystopians, thrillers, horror, or sci-fi. This book will have you staying up late, because you won't be able to put it down! I can't wait to read more books by this author in the future!

Thank you NetGalley and Del Rey Books for the e-arc.

TW: physical abuse, mental abuse, sexual abuse, violence, animal death and abuse
I love a good dystopian thriller and Delilah S. Dawson’s sounded unique. It takes place post Covid, which is always fun to think about, but another type of pandemic has taken over and it’s a terrifying kind.

The story follows Chelsea, her daughters, and her mother through a time when a new illness, The Violence, is running amok and they honestly don’t know how to stop it. Chelsea is a mother of two and man she has it rough. Her husband is a royal jerk. I have other colorful words, but for the sake of this review, I’ll stick with jerk. He’s highly abusive in all senses of the word. Emotionally and physically and Chelsea handles it while trying to protect her daughters. I felt so much for Chelsea. I was mad that she hadn’t left already and I was sad that she had to endure literally walking on eggshells almost her entire marriage worrying about what might set off the dreaded man of the house. The kids broke my heart because you know how traumatizing that could be. This could be very triggering for someone who has been in a abusive situation. So trigger warning!

I love how unique the illness is in this book. It’s also extremely terrifying to even consider, which makes this a nail-biter. I was constantly on the edge of my seat wondering what was going to happen next. I thought the way Dawson told the story, broken into three basic stories most of the time from three different viewpoints, would bother me, but I really enjoyed watching the same story unfold but from those perspectives. In times of high stress and crisis, it’s always nice to see how different people react, and I think Dawson did a phenomenal job of showing us different reactions.

I especially loved some of the side characters you meet along the way while reading this book. I’m a big fan of really good side and supporting characters and this one had a lot. I love the RV kids (that’s my unofficial name for them), or the fighters (again, my own name). These people were quirky and fun and added so much to the depth of the story.

My one and only drawback that held me back from a full five star review was the length of the story. That may seem weird to some, but 500-ish pages is a lot for a book these days it seems, and can be done very well. This was mostly done well. However, I think that there were many times that we read very descriptive parts that could have been trimmed down with the same information and effect, but also sections that were already explained once before. Maybe not exactly, but general feelings or how they feel about a certain situation. There were a few times I had to force myself not to skip a paragraph just to get past a description.

With that said, I would never have skipped far, even though I didn’t actually skip, only because I really wanted to watch the story play out. I was intrigued from the very beginning and until the very last page. Dawson took a genre that you feel has been overdone at times with the dystopian vibe and gave it a fresh new twist that was more terrifying than all it’s predecessors. I highly recommend this book to anyone looking for an edge-of-your-seat, thriller with a catch around every corner.
I'd give this 3.5 stars.
Overall it was a good story and I was interested in the characters and how the story would end. It could definitely use some refining as parts of it drag. Also, the characters could use a bit more dimension as the women all kind of felt pretty similar.
The actual violence described didn't bother me too much, but I would have preferred if they didn't have any animal deaths. One thing I couldn't really get past was how quickly they each recovered after an incident of the violence very quickly. They seemed to have a bit too much perspective of the overall pandemic and were able to reconcile their actions pretty quickly.
Overall a good read though!
Wow what a book.  The Violence by Delilah Dawson is a page turner with just about everything.  This is a story of three generations- Patricia, or Patty, the narcissistic mother of Chelsea, wife of the wealthy Judge and grandmother to Ella and Brooklyn.  Chelsea is a mother to Ella and Brooklyn, and wife to David. Ella and Brooklyn daughters and granddaughters.  The past has dictated a path for all but do they have to stay on that path or are there other options?  The violence is a plague that comes about five years after the coronavirus and leads to random bouts of extreme violence and rage.  The Violence causes blackouts and memory loss, no accountability for actions. You don’t know if you have it until after your first episode.  Everyone is susceptible so fear is rampant.  There is a vaccine but only the extreme wealthy can afford it. The plague is more pronounced in the hot humid weather of the south so those that can afford it head to cold climates which leaves empty homes and streets with few resources.
D. Dawson did a great job writing this novel and I look forward to others from her hand.
Thank you NetGalley and Del Rey books for an ARC of this book.
#Netgalley #DelReyBooks
"In Patricia's experience, few women can honestly say they're special, and the ones that do claim it know they'll be universally hated for it. A woman is supposed to blush or look away, deflect the compliment or pay it back, not just own it."

The title of this book may lead you to believe that quote doesn't quite fit. But don't judge a book by its cover. Yes, it's violent. Yes, there are murders. But this book is so much more than a gruesome psychological thriller! Dawson does an amazing job writing a timely, believable account of the days we live in, from a very emotional, thought-provoking angle.

It may be 2022, but this book jumps us ahead three years to 2025 when a second pandemic has impacted the world. This time, humanity has been seized by a disease that's come to be known as "the violence." Victims black out without warning, go into a rage that becomes increasingly violent, then kill the living being in their nearest proximity. Disturbing right?

As the pandemic takes shape, the storyline centers around three generations of women from a family that is needless to say, completely screwed up. We meet Patricia, the matriarch, who is cold as ice, driven by material wealth and lacking much of a relationship with her daughter and grandchildren. Chelsea is a bruised & battered woman who has been married to David for so long she doesn't know how to escape or save herself. Her main worry is protecting her young daughters, Ella & Brooklyn, from the violence going on under their roof. But "the violence" outside their home proves an even larger problem as these four females must navigate the new world with very little resources besides their own strength.

Dawson did an amazing job building up the personalities & storylines of each of these characters. I kept turning the pages because I was so absorbed in what was going to happen to them, I barely noticed when I finished the book. This was an amazing psychological thriller with real-life consequences & events, including #MeToo and pandemic impacts. My only issue was that Dawson did pepper in some passive-aggressive comments about the country's political climate, which seemed unnecessary, as they did not impact the plot in any way and almost came off as Dawson subjecting the reader to her own political beliefs.

Definitely leave the lights on while you stay up late racing through this heart-pounding new thriller!
The Violence is taking over the world......eerily similar to that of the COVID breakout. People are killing others and not remembering a single thing.
Chelsea Martin has lost herself in a marriage to a mentally abusive man and she has had enough. What a better cover to free herself and her girls, than to provoke David and have him sent away. With all the restrictions being enforced, Chelsea has no idea how hard this all might be without any help. She finds herself reaching out to the one person she thought she would never have to ask for help, her mother. Despite her own childhood trauma, she has to trust that her mother will protect her own daughters as she figures life out.
The Violence by Delilah S. Dawson had me reeled in before the first chapter was over; hook, line, and sinker. I sympathized with Chelsea and her living situations, her childhood trauma, and her hopelessness in the future. I did get lost a little in the middle of the book, patiently waiting for the book to get moving again. I liked that the chapters were short and easy to read. It makes it easy to pause if needed and not to lose your place. The book follows in chronological order with the past revealed in the story. I would recommend The Violence by Delilah S. Dawson to others and would like to read other work by Dawson. Special thanks to NetGalley, Delilah S. Dawson, and Random House Publishing Group - Ballantine, Del Rey. 4 stars for me.
#TheViolence #NetGalley
It's taken me awhile to write this review as I can barely wrap my head around all of the ideas that converge in this novel! It's like the pandemic on steroids...but in the very best way as it addresses so many themes! The Pandemic is over, but The Violence is here and it causes those infected to "storm," rampage, and kill anyone (even pets) close to them who gets in their way. Chelsea has been abused by her husband for years but stays with him because of their two daughters, Ella and Brooklyn. But she's finally had enough and the three of them take refuge with her mother, Patricia even though they've been estranged for years. What follows is a wild ride that will have you gasping for breath, maybe tearing up, and cheering for this sweet family. Dawson addresses so many relevant issues including abuse, vaccine awareness, redemption, forgiveness, and male/female relationships (even the MeToo movement). Yes, it's often gruesome and yes, it's often hard to read through tears, but I ended up loving it as my emotions were all over the place; ultimately it's a timely and unusual but awesome book!
DNF at 20%. I wanted to love this one! The premise was so intriguing and I loved the idea of an abused wife fighting back and regaining her own sense of self and her power.

Unfortunately, it wasn’t even the graphic violence that ultimately got to me. There were so many ridiculous factual errors (at least to me) that I ultimately could not continue. This is not an indie book so I would have expected more from the professional editors. Just one example: a judge does not attend depositions.

Please note the trigger warnings (graphic abuse, animal abuse) which I might have gotten past but I am moving on.

Thanks to the publisher for providing an advanced reading copy via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
For the most part, I enjoyed this book. However, I will warn anyone that wants to read it that it's one giant, never-ending series of triggers. While I think violence against women and the cycle of abuse are important subjects, it was a bit out of my comfort zone to read. This is not a novel you can curl up in bed and relax with. While the gore was well-written enough to make me feel sick at times, it didn't actually seem to be the horror novel it was marketed as despite the gore. I wish Dawson the best in life and career since while this was not really a book for me, I'm sure other people will enjoy it.

Thanks to NetGalley and Ballentine for sharing this digital reviewer copy with me in exchange for my honest opinions.
The Violence was such a good spin on the classic horror book. I would describe it as a mix of "the purge" and covid. I thought the idea of spreading "the violence" as a virus was really smart. Had this book been written years ago I would not have been able to understand the idea but it just worked so well right now. I can't wait to read other books from Delilah Dawson if they are even half as good as this one. Do yourself a favor and pick this book up! You will not be disappointed.
This was a refreshing take on an old theme... a mystery virus that makes everyone violent and full of rage, with a semi-dystopian, pandemic-esque type vibe and a family overcoming their odds and finding a way to survive. This one however, throws in a huge dose of generational trauma and a little WWE, you know to spice things up.

The author doesn't hold back in describing situations when "the violence" kicks in and starts the book with a large trigger warning regarding the spousal abuse, Chelsea suffers at the hand of her husband. Despite the warning, I didn't feel as though the description was over-the-top or gratuitous... especially at the end when Chelsea stands up to her husband, David. Then again abuse and the rage that follows isn't pretty.

The one thing in this story that I wasn't expecting was the WWE aspect, in order to keep her family together, Chelsea takes her kids to her mothers (and that is a whole situation in and of itself) and joins a group of people who are inflicted with "the violence" and becomes an underground pro-wrestler. I loved this part, you read stories like this and it's all walking dead vibes, but this twist with the WWE is intriguing and dare I say it fun.

The only criticism I have is regarding a few of the main male characters; specifically, David, Randall, and Chad. They came across a little stereotypical and predictable. Male posturing on all fronts, and nothing new to offer in character development. Patricia, Chelsea's mother, was interesting to watch as she struggles to come to terms with her own generational trauma and having to interact with her granddaughter, Brooklyn. The strength seems to lie with the female characters, and I can understand why in this story.

I do recommend this title, but again, be aware of the trigger warning at the beginning.