Cover Image: I'm with the Banned

I'm with the Banned

Queen Tansy has problems. Her boyfriend has major secrets and doesn’t smell right. There is a werewolf killer on the loose and the pack is sure it’s a vampire. Somebody sent Hellcats after her and her mom is back.
It was fun going back and joining Tansy. My feelings for her are still not that sympathetic. She whines a lot and is still so insecure in her roll as queen. And she definitely should talk more with the people around her! Can’t wait for the next book and how the Vanessa problem is resolved.

"I'm with the banned" picks up shortly after the first novel ends and follows Tansy as she struggles to balance being the Vampire Queen of California and a regular teenage girl with regular teenage problems.
There are a handful of new characters and supernatural beings introduced in this book. I thought it was cool that the scope of supernatural creatures was broadened and I enjoyed the inclusion of werewolves and of the dynamic they had. I truly enjoyed reading about the pack and its own 'political structure' they had.
The pacing of the book was a bit slow at first but it definitely picked up towards the end. The plot twists were nicely done, even if they were to some extent predictable but I didn't really mind. I just wish that some of the more crucial plot points were a bit more explored.

Generally though, "I'm with the Banned" is a good and enjoyable sequel.
“I’m with the Banned” by Marlene Perez is the second installment in the Afterlife series. 17-year-old Tansy Mariotti has her life flipped around in the wake of saving her dearest companion Skylar Avrett, and killing the vampire king, subsequently turning into the Queen of the Vampires of California. Tansy was raised by her grandmother after her mom deserted her. She’s presently viewed as a Strija Vie, which implies that she’s a vampire and witch crossbreed. Even though Tansy is Queen of the Vampires, she can’t escape going to High School and being ensured by Rose and Thorn who work for PAC (Paranormal Activities Committee). Tansy misses the daylight. She needs to utilize a parasol to shield her from, the serious light while additionally drinking a solution created by her grandmother that prevents her from blood live from a person. On top of attempting to figure out the previous king’s property, and keeping vampires like they previously were, she’s missing Vaugh Sheridan who has been away for quite a long time preparing to be a tracker. At the point when he returns, things start twisting. Something happened to Vaugh when he was in Texas and he would not like to tell Tansy. Tansy becomes familiar with reality after werewolves turn up dead with their souls missing and she accepts vampires are responsible. To make matters worse, Tansy’s mom Venessa comes back. What will happen now?

I loved reading this book. This book was an incredible development to the main book in the series. This is a series that definitely should be pursued together since the occasions in this book expand on all that occurred in the main book. This story was a pleasant young-adult fantasy read on vampires which made it an engaging read. This book was energizing.

This is certainly not a profound read but instead one with huge loads of fun. The primary character has a great deal of moxie and as a lover of vampire-related stories, it is giving a valiant effort to adjust everything. Also, considering that the main character is young, it is too much going on. She’s enjoyable to find out about, her considerations do cause chuckles sprinkled between the more hazardous scenes. It’s a great blend. There were amazing twists and turns at the end as well. I highly recommend this book to people who are starting with the paranormal genre.
If you need a spooky but humorous book for your October tbr, you’re going to want this series! Witches & vampires are back! This sequel takes off after book one where Tansy gets stuck on a road trip with a band of (literal) vampires.

Host with MTMC Tours. Blog Post https://paperfury.com/im-with-the-banned-by-marlene-perez-excerpt/
This is the second installment in the Afterlife series. This one kept up with the amazing characters, I love Tansy and Connor with many twists and turns that grabbed me from the start and didn't let me go until I finished it. I really love this vampire storyline the world-building Marlene Perez has created is really good. I liked the new characters as well. Great YA series.
First off, great title and cover. I don't real a lot of vampire novels these days, but this one enticed me in.

This book is the second in the series, where reluctant teen vampire queen Tansy would rather focus on high school and her boyfriend, but has to juggle vampires and werewolves as well. Meanwhile said boyfriend is dealing with a few issues of his own.

This book has a fun narrative, is witty, sarcastic and a great teen read (but can also be enjoyed by those who are teenaged a heart too).

I would read more by this author.
Tansy is trying to adjust to being the Vampire Queen. She lives with her granny, who she trusts more than anyone else in the world. Tansy discovers more about her estranged mother and the father she’s never known. Her boyfriend Vaughn is dealing with life changing issues on his own. The book starts out recapping the events from the first book and moves onto more intensity. I enjoyed the mix of characters and events which made an enjoyable read, 4 stars!
This book wasn’t as fun as its predecessor, “Afterlife of the Party”, but it did give us readers some answers we were looking for that the previous book was sorely lacking, and introduced more questions that will keep us interested enough to want to read the next book just to see who these people who are mentioned (but not seen) are, where certain other people disappeared to, and what is going to happen to certain interpersonal dynamics after the significant amount and severity of events that happened during this book.

And there was a lot that went on in this book. Whereas “Afterlife of the Party” pretty much centered on a singular plotline: follow the friend, try and save the friend, try to not die in the process, “I’m With the Banned” has quite a few balls up in the air, and it doesn’t juggle all of them easily. Some balls are hovering in the air and about the come down that were left over from the first book, some are tossed up at the beginning of this book and get tossed up and down throughout the book, and some get tossed up late in the game so they are left hovering in the air as the book closes out. That accounts for why this second book in the series is longer than the first, to be sure.

For the positive, I did like that the book was longer. It seemed the right length for a second book in a YA series. I liked that Ms. Perez actually paid attention to her plot threads and wound some of them up or at least tended to them and didn’t let them hang loose or just dangle there without being addressed in some way. The book was edited well, and I have no complaints about the pacing. It moved at exactly the speed it was supposed to, in my opinion.

For the negative, I could’ve gone without seeing vampires and werewolves going toe-to-toe yet again, even if they’re being as political and civil about it as possible. Also, the “turn” and the villain reveal were so predictable to me I called it before I was 30% of the way through the book. From that point, I was just reading to get to that point. I’m not saying that the reading from that point wasn’t wholly unenjoyable, but I just knew exactly where we were driving the car to. It was just a matter of getting there.

There were new creatures, new spells, and new characters. Some were good ideas and some weren’t. That’s just how it goes. Am I upset or disappointed with the book? No. It’s the second book in a YA series. Sometimes this happens. Just go along for the ride and relax.
Was unaware that this was a sequel when I started reading, so I didn't finish in order to fully enjoy the first one! However the writing was strong and the characters were interesting so I look forward to exploring this world in the right order soon
“When I’d killed the king, I got the royal title […] now I had a crown I didn’t want and a kingdom I didn’t know how to rule. But even teen vampire queens had to finish high school, so that’s why I was striding down the halls of Golden West High.”

Ya girl Tansy is back and it’s no more Ms. Nice Striga Vie, she’s the new Vampire Queen and she’s going to keep her subjects in line, one stake at a time – well, not really, she’s pretty dang nice, actually.

A lot has changed since Afterlife of the Party especially with Tansy, Skylar and Vaughn. Rose and Thorn are more present and I love this, their humor and sarcasm are perfection! There’s the addition of some new characters but I especially love Hecate the floof <insert huge heart here>

One thing that hasn’t changed is Travis and his boy band of vampires. They’re flying under a different name but seems like they’re still up to no good.  Werewolves are getting their hearts yanked out and all signs point to Travis but could there be another big bad behind the carnage?

The Afterlife series is just pure sassy fun and I’m so here for it! Bring on book 3!
Thank you to NetGalley and Entangled Teen for an ARC of this book. All opinions in this review are my own.

I absolutely loved Afterlife & was very excited to read Banned - and it did not disappoint. It had all of the same characters we loved from Afterlife, plus some fun new ones we both love & love to hate, character growth, and unravelling the new big bad. I felt like there was a lot more of a strain on the different relationships in this book than the first one, but I am going to pass part of it off as it being the second in a series so it needed to have some tension to get dragged out for the third book, and part of it as residual from the first book cliffhanger. It was fun to see the changes of the characters between Afterlife and Banned, and I was finding myself getting annoyed with Tansy, which was strange considering I was so much in her corner in Afterlife. I am very excited for the third book because so much was set up in this one, and I think there is going to be a great payoff if the first two books are any indication. 4.5/5
I enjoyed this one!  This book was a great follow-up to the first book in the series, The Afterlife of the Party.  This is a series that really should be read in order since the events in this book build on everything that happened in the first installment.  I thought that this story was a fun young adult take on vampires which made for a very entertaining read.  I am so glad that I took a chance on this series.

Tansy is a vampire queen.  She is a little different than most vampires since she is a witch-vampire hybrid, known as a striga vie.  She is also a teenager dealing with all of the typical teen challenges in addition to running a vampire realm.  I like Tansy a lot.  She has a lot on her plate but is trying to get everything done as fairly as possible.  She is taking her new position of queen seriously and is trying hard to be fair, even when it is the last thing she wants to do.  She is also really forgiving.  There are a few times that I thought her boyfriend and some of her friends treated her unfairly but she always seemed quick to give them a second chance.

This book was pretty exciting.  Travis and his band are back using a new name and things get worse when werewolves start being killed.  Tansy needs to figure out who is behind the murders while juggling the things going on in her personal life.  Plus, it seems like someone wants to harm Tansy.

I would recommend this book to others.  I found it to be a lot of fun with great characters, a bit of humor, and a lot of excitement.  The story ended with some events that have me very eager to pick up the next book in the series!

I received a digital review copy of this</em> <em>book from Entangled: Teen via NetGalley.
Tansy, the Vampire Queen of California, is back.  She is ready to start her senior year.  Something weird is going on though.  Her boyfriend is acting off, werewolves keep getting killed (with fingers pointing at vampires) and the band is back.  Add in that her best friend is considering taking Connor back and that Tansy is trying to set her feet in as Queen and she is quite busy.
Opinion
This is the second book in the Afterlife Series.  This is the first one that I have read.   I will be going back and reading the first.  I was able to make it through this one with a small amount of confusion.
Ever the fan of anything paranormal, I absolutely devoured this book.  How the first one got by me is a mystery.  This book is right up my alley with werewolves, vampires and witches.  It is perfect for the young teen reader or even the adult reader who likes their books less spicy.  With so much going on, there is never a dull moment in the book.
Many thanks to Net Galley for providing me with an ARC of this book.
I was so glad to get back to Tansy and Vaughn!  I loved the Afterlife of the Party and this did not disappoint!!  I was glad to see more supernatural creatures and get to learn more about Tansy's past and her family.  The build-up throughout the book was great all the way up to the big reveal.  I do wish we would have seen more of Tansy's vampire queen duties.  I can't wait to see what kind of trouble the gan get's into in Vegas!
I really enjoyed the first book and had high hopes for this one. The book absolutely lived up to my hopes. It had great character development and twists that kept me totally engaged. The story is great in itself but also leads into the next book well. It avoids the problem that many middle books face of feeling like it's just setting up for the last book in the trilogy while still also building the excitement for the next book.

I also really enjoyed seeing the changes in some of the returning characters and overall how the vampires are adjusting to their new queen. It was also interesting learning more about how the supernatural world operates and it's other leaders. This played well into the character development of the main characters. I enjoyed how it changed their relationships with each other and how they dealt with the changing dynamic in their friend group. The new characters brought into their group are also well written and fit into the story well.  All around this is a cool series and a fun read.
Spectacular!  So impressed with this writer! Thank you netgalley and entangled teen for the advanced copy!  Please read this book, even if it is not your typical genre. You will be so, very, very glad you did!
Tansy  the new vampire queen, trying to be a the fair queen for her new realm with her new werewolf boyfriend both trying to solve the murder cases among werewolves in her new realm
as for tansy's character there's some development in the character you can see her making decisions and trying to be reasonable in the hardest situation
vaughn i like this guy even though he messes up at some point but he tries his best to be better especially for his girl friend
skylar is different in this story not the girl who would chase after a group of vampire cause she's heartbroken though i sort of hated her for not taking her friend's side
as for the pack i really like them they seem so cool especially beckett and xavier
travis seems to be funnier in this book not the villain in the 1st book, but he's still dumb
Do I have to mention how much I like helcate?
well the 1st book was mostly about tansy doing whatever to save her friends from vampires and  this one has a new adventure where tansy solves a crime and a mystery along with other secrets about her mom
I would mostly recommend this to teenagers or beginner reader 16+ maybe
This book perfectly picks up where book 1 stops and I couldn't put it down.  This is definitely a quit your job,  say bye to your life,  never moving from this spot book.  Because wow.  You're gonna wanna pick this up and not put it Down til you're done
'm with the Banned, by author Marlene Perez, is the second installment in the authors Afterlife series. 17-year-old Tansy Mariotti has literally had her life turned upside down and sideways after saving her best friend Skylar Avrett, and killing the former Vampire King, thus becoming the Queen of the Vampires in California. The thing that makes Tansy different is that she was raised by her grandmother after her mother abandoned her. She's now considered to be a Strija Vie, which means she's a vampire/witch hybrid.

Even though Tansy is Queen of the Vampires, she still can't get out of going to High School, or being protected by Rose and Thorn who work for (PAC) Paranormal Activities Committee. Tansy misses the sunshine. She has to literally use a parasol to protect her from the intense light while also drinking a mixture concocted by her Grandmother from actually drinking live blood from a human being. On top of trying to sort through the former Kings holdings, and keeping vampires like the former Drainers, who are now country music singers, in line, she's also missing Vaughn Sheridan who has been gone for months training to be a hunter.

When he returns, things really get twisted. Something happened to Vaughn while he was training in Texas and he doesn't want to tell Tansy. Tansy will soon learn the truth after werewolves turn up dead with their hearts missing and she meets a pack of werewolves including Skylar's ex Connor who believe vampires are responsible. Oh, and to make matters even more intriguing, Tansy's mother Vanessa, you know the person who abandoned her when she was born, and ran off to become known as the Executioner under the former Vampire King? Well, she's back in town, and so are a group of Hellcats who seem particularly interested in Tansy.

This is supposed to be a tongue and cheek attempt at poking fun at the Twilight claim to fame by having vampires and werewolves who don't exactly like each other with a bit of romance thrown in to make things interesting. The book has secrets, return of an enemy, weird relations, trust issues, betrayal and also explores new facts about the Supernatural World. There are literally too many surprises to mention without spoiling them so, let's not. I will say this; this book ends on a cliffhanger which you will have to wait until July 2022 (A Sucker for You) to find out what happens next.
I'm with the Banned is the second in Perez' Afterlife series however if, like myself, you have not yet read the first, do not fear - this story provides all the background needed (although I would, definitely, recommend reading it as, like this, it is a great read!).

This is the perfect teenage vampire novel which manages to encompass the intricacies of inter-creature politics and high school drama and, while it may not be a life-changing, thought-provoking read, I'm with the Banned is highly enjoyable.

The main character can, at times, come across as childish and annoying - HOWEVER this is actually a positive as it reads as a far more realistic portrayal of a teenager suddenly being granted 'queen' status, even if it is for a district of vampires.

The twists are definitely unpredictable for the most part and keeps the reader on their toes and the supporting characters (including Rose, Thorn and Connor) definitely add multiple dimensions to the story which prevent it from being a one-dimensional romance for vampires and this looks to be a very promising series.

Thank you to Entangled Publishing, LLC and NetGalley for providing the e-arc for this title in exchange for an honest review.