Cover Image: Pride, Prejudice, and Peril

Pride, Prejudice, and Peril

Two of my life's passions are Jane Austen & cozy mysteries. This book was kindly sent by the PR team at Berkeley and from that moment, I knew it was meant to be.

The name Katie Oliver has been floating in my head for years now, thanks to her skin in the cozy game. Also, have you seen her social media presence? Her instagram screams I LOVE MR. DARCY....and honestly, SAME! I instantly fell in love. Yes, I keep saying it - but it's true. Maybe you have to be a true Austen fan to understand, but I knew this woman would understand me and the needs of a P&P & Cozy Mystery lover alike.

This was such an easy read. I have dreamt about a character like Phaedra for such a long time. I can relate to her constantly obsessing over the comfort Pride & Prejudice and so many other classics bring us. Adding in the "who done it" scenario took it to another level. Katie Oliver wrote the best "clue" sequences. It kept me guessing the whole time!

I love this book so much. I thought this was an excellent "first book in a new series" starting point.
Thank you to Netgalley and Berkley Publishing Group for the ARC.

🌟🌟🌟🌟 4/5 stars

A cute start to a brand new cozy series. Pride, Prejudice, and Peril is Jane Austen meets reality TV plus murder. Phaedra, an English professor who specializes in all things Austen, is asked to consult on a reality tv show titled Who Wants to Marry Mr. Darcy. However, on the first day of shooting, the husband of her best friend is found dead. Now it is up to Phaedra to solve the murder and help her friend.

I love anything that involves Jane Austen references and this book is full of them. I loved the plot and setting, as well as the two potential “Mr. Darcys”. I am interested to see where this series goes. I am already sold on the title of the sequel - A Murderous Persuasion.

ARC was provided by the publisher via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.

Full review to be posted on publication date.
Jane Austen meets Agatha Christie meets The Bachelor in Pride, Prejudice, and Peril. Perhaps this is a combination that shouldn’t work, but in author Katie Oliver’s hands it does, resulting in an entertaining cozy mystery.

Phaedra Brighton is a professor and Austen expert, perhaps best known for teaching her classes in full Regency wear. She dreams of Mr. Darcy but knows the closest thing to Pride and Prejudice in her real life is her mother pulling a Mrs. Bennet trying to see her daughters wed. When Who Wants to Marry Mr. Darcy, a Jane Austen-inspired reality dating series, starts filming at the estate belonging to her best friend, Charlene, Phaedra is offered the job as consultant. Then during filming Charlene’s husband is murdered and evidence points to his wife as the most likely suspect. Phaedra is determined to clear her friend of suspicion and find the true killer, but as someone who is more Lizzy Bennet than Miss Marple, she’ll have her work cut out for her.

Phaedra is an entertaining heroine with just enough quirkiness to make her stand out. In the usual cozy mystery way, she takes it upon herself to investigate, frustrating the local detective with her interference and putting herself in danger. I liked the nods to Austen Oliver sprinkled throughout the story and – as an admitted Janeite – these tidbits made me smile. Phaedra has a rather extensive list of suspects to choose from during her investigation – the deceased was anything but beloved. It was entertaining watching her put the puzzle pieces together while trying to juggle everything on her plate. Information is doled out as needed in order to keep things going and while I sometimes found the reveals to be inorganic in their delivery, it didn’t pull me out of the story. Phaedra’s family and friends are all interesting and I look forward to learning more about them. All in all, I really liked Pride, Prejudice, and Peril and I’m looking forward to seeing what Phaedra gets up to next!
I read a lot of cozy mysteries and was really intrigued to see a premise I hadn't come across before.  I really like that the main character is an English professor specializing in Austen and I also really loved the reality show angle.  Unfortunately, this one just didn't quite work for me.

I had two main issues with this mystery.  The first one was the number of characters.  We have Phaedra, her coworkers and friends and family as well as all the people associated with the reality show both as contestents and in production.  It's a lot of people to be introduced to and since this is the first book in the series I felt a bit like I was scrambling to figure out who was who and where they fit in.  I think this made it hard for me to connect with any of the characters which made me struggle to get invested in the story.

My second issue was the pacing.  This isn't an uncommon problem with first books in the series as there's so much world building that has to be done.  Unfortunately, this combined with the first issue kept me from being able to be pulled in to the mystery and really enjoying the story.  I also found it hard to believe that Phaedra was an established professor as her actions frequently came across immature and naive.

I think this series has some potential.  There are some interesting side characters and I enjoy the fact that the main character specializes in Austen on an academic level.  Unfortunately, at this point this isn't a series I plan on continuing with.
Thank you so much for an advanced copy of this book!

Genre: Cozy Mystery/Women's Fiction
Pub Date: December 7, 2021
Star Rating: ⭐️⭐️⭐️

This was a fun start to a new series, and I enjoyed the book a lot. I thought the main character, Phaedra, enjoyable and easy to love. I thought her determinedness and single-mindedness were two things I could greatly relate to as an individual, and I couldn't help but wonder who her Mr. Darcy would be in the book! I particularly liked that her knowledge of Jane Austen put her in the middle of a murder to solve and that she was a professor. I'm a finance professor, but I always say if I could be any other kind of professor, it would be English!

Overall, I thought this story kicked off the series well. I will definitely read more about Phaedra, and I'm looking forward to future books!
Pride, Prejudice and Peril was a cute cozy mystery with lots of references to Jane Austen's novels, which I love. I enjoyed the mystery aspect of this story and the regency talk tremendously. I went back and forth with who I thought Phaedra's Mr. Darcy could be, but I was hoping for one over the other. I love the broody protective ones.
I enjoyed a lot about this one, but I also found it hard to follow at times. This was a fun start to a new series.
Thank you to Katie Oliver, Netgalley and Berkley for an early copy.
Mini Review: I quite enjoyed this book, which is the first in the new Jane Austen Tea Society Mysteries series. It was a unique premise, Phaedra was a good main character, and I liked the supporting characters, too! Overall, this was a good beginning to a new cozy series, and I will definitely be checking out the next book!

I received an e-ARC from the publisher.
Pride, Prejudice, and Peril is the debut book in author Katie Oliver's Jane Austen Tea Society Mystery series.  It is clear from this book, and other romance novels written by this author, that she is a fan of Jane Austen.  The main character, Phaedra Brighton, is a well-respected college English professor whose expertise is Jane Austen.  This is apparent in the way she dresses for her lectures and her criteria for a significant other.  When Phaedra is asked to serve as a consultant on a new reality dating series, Who Wants to Marry Mr. Darcy, things go wrong when her close friend's new husband is murdered and the police set their sites on the friend as the prime suspect.  I really wanted to like Phaedra and for the most part, there is nothing overly objectionable about her character.  Most of the time I just felt ambivalent about her.  Her sleuthing skills are not strong and her questions to potential suspects are brusque and lacked finesse.  I did feel there were some parts to the story where Phaedra is a bit judgemental and out of touch based upon her upbringing.

The book was an easy read and I liked the mystery.  The pace felt a little slow at times but not so much that it detracted from the book.  The author does provide the reader with a number of other viable suspects to consider as they comb through the clues.  I was surprised by the killer's identity and this person was not on my radar.  The motive made sense once it was revealed.

I would love to see the author make some tweaks to Phaedra's personality to make her a bit more likable.  There is also a potential for two love interests for Phaedra and for me that is a turn-off if the love triangle goes on too long.  I think the series has potential with some tweaks and additional thought given to the characters and pacing.

I voluntarily read a digital advanced reader copy of this book provided to me by the publisher, Berkley, through a NetGalley widget.  All thoughts and opinions expressed in this review are my own and are in no way impacted by the manner in which I received this book.
Pride and Prejudice and Peril, the first book in The Jane Austen Tea Society Mystery series, is an entertaining Austen infused cozy mystery.

The story is set in the small university town of Laurel Springs Virginia, where Jane Austen professor/ Regency historical consultant Phaedra Brighton discovers a murder during the filming of a Pride and Prejudice inspired reality dating show.

As a Jane Austen fan, I enjoyed identifying the numerous references to Jane Austen’s books and adaptations as well as discovering some interesting Regency trivia. Author Katie Oliver is clearly an Austen fan and she weaves together an entertaining Jane Austen inspired cozy mystery with a loose Pride and Prejudice retelling. Phaedra, the Elizabeth Bennet of the series, cleverly uses her knowledge of and love for Jane Austen and Regency paraphernalia to investigate the crime. Though her sledgehammer interrogation technique is at times cringey, it will hopefully become more refined as the series progresses and she investigates future crimes.

The mystery is, of course, satisfyingly solved by the end of the book. However, the retelling is merely set up; there are two potential Mr. Darcy’s and the Jane and Mr. Bingley characters have only been briefly introduced. I expect the retelling will be the overarching story of the series and I look forward to discovering it.

Pride and Prejudice and Peril should satisfy cozy mystery readers and Jane Austen fans alike and is a good book to curl up with over the Christmas holidays.

Thank you to NetGalley for this early copy of Pride, Prejudice and Peril in return for my honest review.
Thank you NetGalley and Katie Oliver for this early copy of Pride, Prejudice and Peril in return for my honest review.

I adored this book. What a fun story, mixing classic literature with modern day living. The characters were witty and charming, and it was the perfect who-done-it, that kept you guessing the whole time. I am excited to see that this book is the first of a series and that the author is already planning on the second book set to release next year.I can’t wait to continue reading the stories of Phaedra and the Jane Austin tea society.
This book was like a mashup of Jane Austen,  Agatha Christie and The Bachelor

An Austen scholar is hired as a consultant on a new dating reality show, Who Wants to Marry Mr Darcy. During shooting a man, the owner of The Marling, is found dead and she investigates to find the assailant.

I liked the premise of this book but overall this was just ok for me.
Pride, Prejudice, and Peril by Katie Oliver was merely okay. Based on the premise, I thought I would enjoy it more. But it was an okay read.
Can you imagine an incarnated Victorian lady finds herself at present time named as Phaedra Brighton ( her mother inspired of Greek mythology but she’s definitely a British soul trapped in an American woman’s body),a professor specialized on Jane Austen literature, teased by her friends and mother for not being able to find her own Darcy!

Dear Phaedra’s great knowledge about regency era helps her land on a job as a consultant at reality show named “who wants to marry Mr. Darcy?” ( who doesn’t if Colin Firth plays him!!!!)

The show’s concept can be summarized as Bachelor meets Pride and Prejudice: 8 bachelorettes will compete for dreamy bachelor Mr. Darcy in hopes of receiving a marriage proposal by the end of the season including camera off whining, backstabbing, gossiping, betrayals etc.

She already deals with organization of Jane Austen literary festival after school council slashed their budget, welcoming their new mysterious, observant, strikingly intimidating professor Mark who recently transferred from Oxford ( might be a great candidate as Mr. Darcy even though she thinks him as Mr. Rochester)

But now she adds another profession to her highly thick resume : she becomes a murder investigator after she finds a death body during the shooting of the reality show: the guy who murdered is William Collier , CEO of Longbourn Pharmaceuticals who is also her childhood friend Charlene’s husband, owner of the Marling the grandiose and historical location the production team used as their shooting location for the show!

The poor guy was electrocuted which was strange because there was a power shortcut at the place which resulted with a valuable family jewelry’s stealing: the choker.

Who hated enough that pretentious, new multimillionaire to kill him?

There are lots of candidates but he had serious quarrels in front of witnesses at the very same murder day. Dorothy Fortune should have inherited the Marling after her husbands death but her husband thought otherwise and left the place to  his nephew William which created a vendetta between she and him.

And of course William’s screaming at his wife Charlene to blame on her for choker’s disappearance in front the filming crew before the minutes of turning into smoking beef ( okay this was even harsh for him but the character was douchebag enough to push your buttons)

Charlene was just a waitress who was taking care of her disabled and diabetic mother but marriage with William dramatically changed her financial situation. She has enough motive to get rid of verbally abusive husband. At least the brooding but also charismatic detective Morelli thinks she may have involved into the murder.

Phaedra finds herself conduct her own investigation to help her own friend, acting like young Miss Marple, connecting the dots with her sharp wits.

I enjoyed this cozy mystery which is great mash up Austen novels meet Agatha Christie mysteries.

Phaedra was likable, quirky, sharp witted, determined character. I don’t say no to read more adventures of her in near future.

Special thanks to NetGalley and Berkley Publishing for sharing this digital reviewer copy with me in exchange my honest thoughts.
This is the ultimate cozy mystery for the many readers who love both Jane Austen and Agatha Christie! A college professor who is a renowned Jane Austen scholar is hired to work as a consultant on a sleazy-ish reality show (Who Wants to Marry Mr. Darcy). Surrounded by mayhem, she solves a complicated murder. I look forward to recommending this title!
This has the questionable distinction of being one of the few books I refuse to review publicly (a kindness on my part, I assure you). There were a good half-dozen Austen errors, some medical jargon ripped straight out of one of those crime dramas where they spend more time in wardrobe than fact-checking, and the climactic reveal scene was so laughably bad I was having honest to god Twilight flashbacks.