Cover Image: Better Off Dead

Better Off Dead

I have read nearly all of the Reacher novels; Some I didn't care for, but most were interesting to some degree.

BETTER OFF DEAD is a disappointment. Reacher has lost something off his fastball, and I would not recommend the book. If the character intrigues you, go back to the beginning.
I liked this new addition and Reacher's partnership with Michaela, hope to see more. love peeling back the layers to uncover the mystery behind the plot. I hope Frances Neagley makes an appearance in the next book. and now with the tv series, looking forward to more
Jack Reacher always finds someone that needs help.  This wasn’t the best in the series but it was still a solid Reacher book. I always love reading the next adventure and I can’t wait for the next one.  I will definitely be reading more Lee Child books.

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for the DRC.
Definitely a book full of guessing and more action and intrigue than I have seen in a while. It had something new at every turn and more crooked, ruthless people ever! The ending was priceless. I honestly didn’t know what to expect, but what I read was perfect. Book provided by NetGalley.
Sadly this book did not hold my interest as much as other Jack Reacher books. I hope this is not an indicator of future Reacher books.
This book was so good! I want to see more from this author in the future!! I couldn't put this book down. What a page turner!!!
Reacher comes across a scene in the desert and stops to help the woman he finds. Little does he know, but Reacher is about to find out that the stakes are much higher than he realizes at first glance.

As an avid reader of the Jack Reacher series, I jumped at the chance to read Better off Dead. Although the novels as of late have been very formulaic and not up to par with those at the beginning of the series, I had high hopes for this book. Unfortunately, it was more of the same, with Reacher getting involved simply because of being at the right place in time to help. The plot was weak and very sluggish, making it a difficult book to finish. As a loyal reader, I would seek out a new book in the series, but I think that Jack Reacher should stop his walkabout and retire.

Disclaimer: I was given an Advanced Reader's copy of Better off Dead, by NetGalley and the publisher, Delacorte Press. The decision to read and review this book was entirely my own.
Lee child does what he does best and that is continues the story of the hero jack reacher.  A unique story but honestly the same result as every other book Lee child has written.  If you like Lee child you will like this book if you don't well then you won't.
Nothing beats a good Jack reacher book.   He’s a hero on so many levels.   Love the next generation the books have taken and they ignited my passion to watch the new show
Jack Reacher is the star of Better Off Dead with a couple of bad guys to keep it interesting and a strong female to keep him straight.
It seems apparent to me that Lee Child is handing off his golden child Jack Reacher, to his son Andrew Child.
It remains to be seen if Andrew Child can continue with the strong hero named Jack Reacher.
What can you say, when each Jack Reacher book exceeds your expectations.  I have read every one of Lee Child’s Jack Reacher series, and I am amazed with each book, that he can continually up the action and the plot.  I heartily recommend this to anyone that enjoys a great plot and a believable character.
Not good long story line . Main character tend to hesitate far too often about what’s doing what’s right.
Would not recommend this to anyone.
Another really good book by Lee Child and Andrew Child! Pay attention to the details, because they are tied into the story later. Fast moving pace, lots of twists and turns, I highly recommend reading!
Lee Child CLEARLY wasn’t the primary author of this book. I remember the way the older books were written and this one lacks their quality. This book absolutely falls flat on its face.
I have been a fan of Lee Child's Jack Reacher novels for many years. This is the first however that I have read of the joint authorship of Lee Child and Andrew Child. Better off Dead does not disappoint. I did find this Reacher to be a bit more modern and the plot a bit more intricate but Reacher basically remains the same.

Reacher meets a young woman on a road who is playing dead. After witnessing her encounter with several thugs she begins to tell Reacher her story and of course, being Reacher, he becomes involved. It is an intricate plot in a setting of a small town on the border of Mexico. The young woman's brother a known bomb-maker had involved himself with an unsavory group and had called on his sister, a former FBI bomb specialist, for help. He gets Reacher as well as his sister in this most recent of the installments of Jack Reacher's adventures in the underworld of crimes against the innocent.

This most recent novel is a good one and it bodes well for the future of the everlasting tough-guy hero, Jack Reacher. Better Off Dead is entertaining and satisfying for those who love Reacher. Thanks to #NetGalley#BetterOffDead for the opportunity to read and review this book.
It has to be difficult for a writer to pass the torch (and the character) to a different writer, even if it is to one's own progeny rather than killing the character off.  Lee Child is passing Reacher, the beloved vigilante on to his son.  Although the plot  line is similar, it is clear that the writing is done by a different author.  The book moves swiftly with the signature Reacher moves.  It remains to the reader as to whether the son can successfully continue with this terrific series.
I enjoyed this book. I enjoyed the subterfuge with the scene at the beginning, even though we're far too deep into this series to believe it as the readers. The mystery of the town and the house are classic Reacher, and I also enjoyed the climax at the compound at the end. The other main protagonist going missing for half the book is also classic Reacher. I think many are falling into the trap of confirmation bias with their "oh so clever" takes that this book is "Better off Unread" or the series is "Better off Dead" now that the series is being handed off to Lee Child's younger brother Andrew. I have found both of the last two books to be enjoyable, and I wonder if most of the people who were unhappy expected a drop off in quality and then perceived it based on those expectations. Unfair, but not uncommon.
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for an e ARC of this book.
Typical Read her with ba plot that keeps one reading. It seems that each gets more interesting and imaginative. Lots of graphic violence that I could do without.
Wow!! I am a huge Reacher fan and this is everything I've come to love in the series! Action packed, gritty characters and sub plots that keep you guessing. And a big dose of our favorite inigmatic and alway complex anti-hero! You would think at 26 books in this world would stop being fresh and exciting. But I'm here to tell you it far exceeds expectations and goes to show why this series is so beloved and enduring.

You can never have too much Reacher and I look forward to more!!!
Better off Dead is my first 3 star Jack Reacher novel, I am sad to say. It was not as much of a page turner as the previous series. There was some suspense, the expected fights, a damsel in distress, and a weapon of mass destruction thrown in for good measure, but it did not mask the weak plot and poor character development. This is the 2nd book Child wrote with his brother, and, unfortunately, it just fell short for me.

Thank you NetGalley and Random House for the ARC.