Cover Image: The Verifiers

The Verifiers

The Verifiers is a fun, adorable mystery that touches on the secret worries of anyone who’s tried online dating. Is the person on the other side of computer real? What else is the information being used for? How will my friends and family react to my life choices? Claudia is a feisty young Chinese American woman shouldering the burden of being her mother’s favorite but also the family failure. Stepping out of the shadows takes Claudia on a path of self discovery and down the rabbit hole of a cozy murder mystery. The only issue I had is now I have to wait for the hopefully next installment to see what Claudia’s next adventures will take her.
I love amateur sleuths. I like the main character, Claudia Lin, she's sharp-witted, the centre of her family and loves reading murder mysteries. When, she joins a dating detective agency, Veracity, she doesn't assume her verifier work would involve any deaths under mysterious circumstances.

Veracity client, Iris Lettriste killed herself, right before she was supposed to meet them. An overdose of her medication. Her body was found in her apartment a few days later. Then, Veracity found out that Iris was an imposter. The real Iris proves that her sister, Sarah Reaves was stealing her identity on seeking for matchmaker. Okay, that's it. I was intrigued. Whodunnit. But, Sarah Reaves’s death is not as simple as it seems. Why Claudia took it upon herself to investigate is beyond thinking.😅 Until the end, we don't know whodunnit. Dang. That's why this book does not work for me. 😅😅

My personal rating 3 ⭐

Thanks to @Netgalley and the publisher for providing an earc.

📚

#donereading #TheVerifiers by #JanePek #igreads #bookstagram #goodreads # emabaca #malaysiamembaca
The Verifiers is a fun
Mystery! I love the Asian protagonist named Claudia Lin! She is spunky and very intelligent! The mystery itself was very interesting! I hope there will be future installments! I recommend this fans of mysteries that enjoy a feisty Asian amateur sleuth!
I truly enjoyed this book. I loved the build up, the plot, the characters and hope to read more by Pek.
Part whodunnit, part data privacy ethics, part family drama— I loved The Verifiers. Claudia Lin works for a referrals-only dating detective agency in New York City; she's a quirky character who keeps her sexuality closeted from her traditional Asian family. When a client goes missing, the voracious mystery reader takes matters into her own hands. If you're looking for love in the digital age, you'll love this one!
It was really good! Kept me with the storyline until the end and I really want to buy a copy since it’s out… catches my eye every time I see it in a store
Such a fun mystery novel to read. So gay, so asian. Some issues with pacing, but overall, a fun, light read. I loved it.
Jane Pek’s gorgeously-written modern murder mystery is wholly unique and beautifully, cleverly phrased. The Verifiers is for sure one of the best (and my favourite) books of the year. The way Pek created this world has made it somehow... an actual PLACE that I can take my mind to, somewhere I am still thinking about months later, and will revisit often for many years to come.

The story features fun analysis of app data management and the social tech industry —it’s also about being an immigrant, the frustration and familiar comfort of having older siblings, and the very specifically-millennial kind of ambition. It's a book that will appeal to younger fans of thrillers about a near-future, as well as older readers who love a good murder investigation with a plucky protagonist. It's thrilling! Fun! Captivating stuff!

Some of my favourite aspects of it:
♥ Lesbian Asian American protagonist who rides her bike everywhere (and yes, often arrives places late and sweaty)
♥ Meta literary hero inside the novel (Claudia emulates her favourite fictional detective)
♥ The majority of the cast is not white!!
♥ A very modern take on the locked-door murder mystery
♥ Gorgeous metaphors! Brilliantly visual!
♥ Fascinating analysis of the dating app tech industry! (And those doing research into it)
♥ Discusses the effects and ethics of dating apps —on individuals, society, and business!

content warnings: a few references to moments in the past where her mother hit them; memories of her mother suffering chronic debilitating migraines; memories of the mother being "depressed and unstable" after childbirth during their childhood;
Nice little story.   It moved so slow, however, that I went for long stretches without picking this up.   I ended up forgetting the plot.
Totally enjoyed this bookish whodunit/family story with an endearing main character and great supporting cast. Loved the dating app setting and related data privacy/surveillance angle (and also loved how my timing of this read coincided with this excellent Zeynep Tufekci piece covering the same: https://www.nytimes.com/2022/05/19/opinion/privacy-technology-data.html - so disturbing but also weirdly comforting that the burden of data privacy shouldn’t be/can’t feasibly be on each of us individually). I hope Jane Pek writes more Claudia capers!
As a fan of mystery and queer protagonists of color, there were a lot of factors about this story's premise that initially intrigued me. However, the progression of the story only partially held my attention up to the 30% mark. I found the plot pacing and character development a bit off - neither aspect of the story felt it received the nuance necessary.
Jane Pek has taken the very best of noir detective tradition and skillfully brought it into the age of internet dating. While her debut detective is still wet behind the ears in her career, the character of Claudia Lin pulls you along with her drive to understand the tangle of her firm’s client relationships with the same doggedness needed to unknot a shoelace. Only those familiar with New York City, its weather, and the challenges for cyclists will fully appreciate Claudia’s athleticism.
When the story has fully unfolded the reader is left with their own knot to untie: Ms Pek invites us to consider the challenges of inherent in sharing ourselves and seeking out relationships online. What do each of us risk? And what do we risk collectively when data drives all the decisions around us in increasingly subtle and insidious ways? Not to be slighted, her characterization of an immigrant family where every relationship is emotionally layered adds personal depth. At times, the introduction of so many additional family characters felt ponderous, but I hope this just serves as groundwork for a series. If so, then the investment will surely pay off.
Claudia Lin is a recently graduated, mystery loving, lesbian, Chinese-American New Yorker who after a brief stint in a corporate job (thanks to her older brother) has landed at a dating detective agency. Unfortunately, she can’t tell anyone she works there, or that it exists.

Veracity is a “personal investments advisory firm,” bluntly speaking they verify the person you met online is really who you think they are or who they are advertising themselves to be. When a new client starts to throw up red flags, and then turns up dead Claudia can’t help but to question the circumstances. What use is a lifetime of reading mystery novels if not to prepare you to find out the truth?

I really enjoyed Claudia as a protagonist, in this high tech world she was an old school amateur detective, in fact this book almost reads as a modern version of a noir mystery novel. This story asks a few soul searching questions tied to the matchmaking industry, cyber security, and the role technology plays in our daily lives.
The Verifiers by Jane Pek, narrated by Eunice Wong: Always here for a mystery featuring a woman of color, because I feel like they are too few and far between. Kyle got me this book for my birthday, and as usual I half listened, half read the print book, and thoroughly enjoyed both reading experiences. Claudia herself is such a great portrait of a woman in her 20s, and I especially loved her dynamic with her family. I also appreciated how much she loved what she does, and how clear-eyes and driven she was — it felt really unique!
Engaging story with an interesting mystery that goes beyond the superficial dating site algorithms to get at larger existential questions. Reels you in and hooks you.
I really liked this unusual mystery that somehow incorporated data mining into the world of internet dating. Claudia Lin is the youngest daughter of a Chinese immigrant who has been raised by a single mother, as well as with her older siblings. Family dynamics are a bit odd because although her lifestyle doesn't seem to fit into any box conceived by her mother (she hates dressing up, she is not anxious to marry a nice and wealthy Chinese boy, and she doesn't want to have 9-5 job in a prestigious firm), her mother also seems to favor her, at least in her siblings' eyes. Even odder in their family dynamics, both of her siblings are doing very well in their jobs, dress for success, and seem to be in steady relationships. At the beginning of the book, it's clear that Claudia has a secret job after quitting the job in a firm that her brother got her, where she gets to channel her love of detective stories by checking on the veracity of people who use matchmaking internet services.

When one of her clients ends up committing suicide, Claudia suspects that there may be more going on and that's where we get drawn into a mystery that keeps you guessing. While this mystery had some of the elements of a typical locked room mystery, there were plenty of unique elements that kept me reading. And no, I did not guess the who either, but I enjoyed following Claudia to the truth.

There were many discussions about data mining which I found really interesting, and I love how relevant it is to current events.  Even if what she is proposing here does not yet exist (but I do wonder), the possibility is very real and gave me an unsettled feeling.

But what I enjoyed the most was reading about her family dynamics, some of which I identified with (although I am not a queer woman). Although I was hoping for a bit more development in her family members, especially with her sister, I am hoping that this book marks the start of a series and that we will see them develop further during the series. The ending gives me some hope for their family, and also for Claudia herself, especially regarding the romance front. I also want to see what happens with the company she works for and what her future role will end up being.

I decided to read this book because something about the cover caught my eye, and after reading the blurb, it seemed just enough off the beaten path that I wanted to give it a try. It ended up being a nice surprise, so I look forward to more from this author.

I received an advance review copy from NetGalley for free, and I am leaving this review voluntarily.
The Verifiers is a immensely detailed crafted novel. I enjoyed the themes of the novel: family, secrecy, success—but it never felt like it reached its fullest potential. I kept getting distracted from the main story by extraneous details that didn’t further the plot. The middle of the book fell a little flat and I found myself skimming parts. I think the book had a lot of potential and didn’t quite hit the mark for what I imagined it would be.
The Verifiers is part mystery, part family drama. The heterosexual agenda is the goal of Claudia's mother, despite the fact that Claudia is a lesbian. This drama plays out against corporate wrong doing and a missing client.

Claudia is a literature lover and wrote her thesis on Jane Austin.

Literature, LGPTQ issues, Asian American family dynamics and a mystery thrown in for good measure.

The plot isn't as involved or compelling as I generally liked but has good moments if you ride it out
Claudia Lin isn't the perfect Chinese daughter as her mother tells her often. She wants to work at a job she likes even if she doesn't make large amount of money. She will not find the perfect Chinese man to marry, and she's hasn't told her mother why that is. Currently, Claudia is working for Verify, an online dating detective agency verifying people's dating profiles. She also lives in her fantasy world of being a first class detective like in her favorite novels. So when a client of Verify is killed, she sees herself solving the case without police help. As she pursues this, she is fired from her job and puts herself in danger. Claudia realizes finding the killer may not be what she really wants after all.
This was an interesting, attention grabbing book. I enjoyed reading about Claudia's life, her work in the matching industry, and her family dynamics.
She single-mindedly works to solve a mystery related to her work as a verifier of information provided by users of various online dating sites. At the same time she has various family issues to try to resolve.
The characters are very well described and intriguing. This is one of those books where you really feel like you are there, not like some books that seem as if someone is telling you about the characters and story, but not making it come to life. The interwoven topic of data collection by various on-line companies is a real-life fear that most people have these days.
Overall, this is an intriguing and thought-provoking novel.