Cover Image: The Woman in the Library

The Woman in the Library

This book wasn't what I expected it to be. It was better. Gentill's writing was so well done. I couldn't put this mystery down. I needed to know who was the killer and who really was Leo. The way their each individual stories entwined together and the complexity of them. Definitely a good quick read. Plus, a double mystery with a twist.
3,5 stars, This murder mystery was intriguing with the different character development however it left me a bit confused with it being a story within a story. The characters and the quick relationships they suddenly build in the library also seemed a bit unrealistic. Interesting plot however I was hoping for more.
A book that has a setting in the library is a pretty solid selling point. For me though, that ended up being the only selling point for The Woman in the Library. In this book, you are following Hannah as she writes a book but also navigates her own life. I think the difficult part about this book is the writing style-You essentially have 3 pieces happening at once: The book that Hannah is writing, correspondence between Hannah and her editor Leo, and then a weird personal layer that develops midway through the book when we find out Leo may not be who we think he is. There isn't much separation between dialogues so especially at the beginning, it is hard to tell you are reading a piece of Hannah's book, or reading about Hannah's life. Because of the multi-layers, there are a lot of characters and not much depth to them.

I think for me personally, if Hannah's book had been better, it would've been more enticing to read. Hannah's book read much like a bad version of clue and just didn't captivate me.

I think the potential for this book is there and I can see why people enjoy it, but it just wasn't the book for me. This book is perfect for those who like the inner workings of writing or perhaps true crime. I also have to wonder if the audio is better.
I was super excited to read this one from the premise alone. But for some reason, it kind of fell flat for me. I loved that we got a story within a story kind of, with following along with the woman writing the book and the happenings with her "correspondent" and the actual story itself. As the story went on, I became more invested in the characters, however I did end up predicting what was to happen way before it was going to and that didn't make it that interesting to me anymore. Also, the "correspondent", the author converses with, what point did any of that have to do with anything? I understand it added something to the overall story, but it just felt out of place and then super rushed at the end. I think this could have been something remarkable, it just fell flat for me.

Thank you to Poisoned Pen Press for letting me read an early copy of this interesting book!
I enjoyed this a lot, except for I wanted more "library time" :) Immersive but complicated plot, love the emails at the end of the chapters. I wish I knew something about Boston, if I can eat some of the foods described.
This book was so good! I loved how it was 2 stories in one. I couldn’t put it down and was so shocked at the end! I will definitely be looking up more books by this author! I am so thankful that I was able to read this book through NetGalley!
Thank you NetGalley for this arc in exchange of a honest review.

A murder mystery in a library, what could go wrong? Apparently, according to some reviews I've seen, a lot.

But I particularly liked the book. I didn't think it was phenomenal, but it was good. The plot (and the plot within the plot) is quite interesting and clever, it made me feel more engaged than if it was just the main plot.
I was intrieged by the blurb, and the beginning of the book, but I didn't like the story within a story part, which I normally do. It felt pointless, I was expecting something to happen, but sadly it didn't. In regards to the tittle of the book and the way the group first meets, the library and the woman were grossly overlooked, I was expecting more investigating rather than what actually happened. Also not a fan of the last line, what was that all about? I didn't ge it.
I really enjoyed the crazy twists and turns with this book. The ending still has me scratching my head a bit, but I think that is perhaps part of the thrill of finishing a book like this. There are stories within stories and overlapping characters, but I had fun trying to follow them down the rabbit hole of the author's imagination. This wasn't like anything I have ever read. I read one review where someone described it being similar to the movie 'Inception' and I completely agree. I definitely recommend it if you enjoy puzzles/mind twisters in your stories. The author has a very unique and intelligent style of writing. I would definitely be interested in reading more of her books in the future.

Thank you to NetGalley and Poisoned Pen Press for an advanced copy of this book. All opinions are my own.
Overall this book was great to read while reading but I wasn’t drawn to it and found myself taking so long to reading it. Perhaps it’s just been that kind of month but it did not grab and hold me the way I hoped or expected. The book within a book kind of within a book was a little hard to wrap my head around and I believe in multiverses. It felt complicated at some points. The slow burn of the story of Freddie and the library crew were great. The woman in the library however is a girl in the library, age or not, and when the final reveal happens it lands slightly immature in reasoning thus girl not woman. Freddie is likeable. I wish we’d learned more about Hannah. Leo in the Freddie story was a bit weird and lovestruck and his final appearance came across as a tad obnoxious. Leo in the story writing to Hannah was a complete psychotic and made my skin crawl
The Woman in the Library by Sulari Gentill sounded like a ‘who-dun-it’ right up my alley with murder, mystery and mayhem. Four strangers sitting with each other at the public library in Boston and a screen rips out. Later a body is found. One is a murderer, but which?

These characters were an interesting bunch. Freddy was probably the smartest and my favorite. I found her personality interesting, but I found some of her behavior regarding Cain a little annoying and frustrating. She was blindly following without ruling out possibilities of his suspiciousness. I was not a big fan of Marigold or Wes. Cain was actually one of my favorites. While he was meant to be the dangerous bad guy suspect, his rough around the edges personality and the fact that he was so obviously the suspect that I never thought it could be him. Author Gentill definitely knew how to keep me guessing because when the outcome came to light, I was surprised.

My only issue with this book was that it seemed to move along slowly. The story was interesting, the characters were catchy and likable… and suspicious, but the rest was just a slow, slow build. I only feel this would have been great if it moved a little bit faster. Otherwise this was a good story I would recommend to lovers of mystery. A definite read for your fall schedule.
*I received a free copy of this novel from NetGalley and Poisoned Pen Press for my honest review.*

Four people meet in a library when there is a scream heard and everyone is forced to stay where they are. With a killer amongst them!

I was a little confused at first with the letters to Hannah, but once I realized what was going on, I thought it was ingenious!! A story within a story! It definitely drew me in and kept my attention throughout the novel.

My first novel but Gentill and it won't be my last!
I didn't know what to expect when I got into this book--boy, was I in for it. What begins with a scream in the Boston library turns a group of study partners into an unlikely group--kind of like The Usual Suspects (but not in the way you think). This is unlike anything you've read in terms of format and complexity----just hold onto your hats. I truly enjoyed it (though it is confusing, just enjoy the ride).
Thank you NetGalley for the ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.

I'm not really sure how I feel about this book. The concept was interesting - but I felt like at times the book went off on a tangent that made no sense. Almost as if the writer wasn't sure what they wanted or where they were going so they kept switching it back under the guise of the mystery.

The ending was odd. I kept checking to see if there was more I was missing. Nope.

The book was fairly engaging, I didn't hate it.
This was such a fun read. It was a book within a book. I have never read anything like it before so it was fun to try something new. I was hooked from the first page and couldn't stop reading until the very last page. People who like a fun mystery with a twist will certainly enjoy this.
I had high hopes for this one after reading the synopsis, but a lot of the elements just fell flat for me. The book within a book got confusing at times and I felt duped by the end, but I mostly struggled to connect to any of the main characters.
This book within a book story was cleverly constructed, with four strangers becoming instant friends as they hear a scream in a library when a murdered body is found.  I didn't identify with the characters, though, and found them sort of flat and sort of boring.

The Woman in the Library is such an unconventional mystery, I absolutely loved it!
With multiple POV'S, as well as the intriguing letters spaced throughout the book, I was fully hooked. There were so many unexpected twists and having the killer be someone who was so closely involved (NO SPOILERS), made the reveal all the more dramatic. There were many red herrings, wonderful writing and an overall gripping plotline. The only criticism I would have is that the main character was slightly annoying at times, but that's just a personal preference
This book was....different. Definitely not what I expected. I think the title of the book somewhat misleads the reader, because you atumotaticaly start to think about some murder that happened in the library and how it will be conected with books, librarians and so on. However it is not, the library is mentioned in first chapter and that's it, we even don't investigate the murder that happened there, don't even talk about the body.
But what do get in this book is ''the story within a story'' trope. Turns out, that the murder and everything that is surrounded around it is a story, that our main character writes. We know absolutely nothing about the MC only that her name is Hannah, and we get to know it from the letters that she gets from the very strange guy Leo. Sounds a little bit confusing, but it is actually quite easy to follow.
The plot and the characters in that ''story within a story'' were bland. I couldn't care less what will happen to them. The conclusion and the reasoning behind the murder were questionable, to say the least.
It could be promoted as cozy mystery, but once again - there were nothing cozy about this book.
Bit dissapointed with it, to be honest.
Do I recommend it? I think not...
absolutely  loved this book! it was such a fun read, i would  highly recommend this books to my friends and family if they wanted a delightful time,