Cover Image: The Babysitter

The Babysitter

The baby sitter by Gemma Rogers was a great read that I thoroughly enjoyed
This was a brilliant read.   I was completely gripped from the very start.   I loved the characters and the story was excellent .
Thank you to Netgalley for an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

A well-written faced paced drama with plenty of intrigues. Very suspenseful. Recommended.
When babysitter Brooke is attacked and the child she’s caring for abducted, the police are quick to respond. But as Brooke recovers from her injuries it seems she knows more about the abduction than she’s letting on. As questions are asked and interviews carried out, Brooke’s deceit spirals into a complex web that could easily drag her down and expose her lies. But maybe there’s a way she can put everything right and still have the life she’s dreamed of…

This is the first book I’ve read by Gemma Rogers and the fifth in her series of crime thrillers. The story is told from the point of view of three of the main characters. To begin with, I found it a little difficult to get into as the weighty slog of backstory (initially from Ali’s pov) really slows down the pace. However, as the tale progresses, and we hear from Brooke, Ali and Jimmy relating their roles in the mystery, I became engrossed. Though a little slow in places, the book is an easy read and I finished it in one sitting. The denouement goes on a little too long for my liking, but I was happy to see that, for the most part, all the characters get what they deserve.

An interesting crime thriller perceived through the eyes of three very different characters.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

I thoroughly enjoyed this book! It was a change of genre for me so I was weary going in, but wow, the story was brilliant!

I very much enjoyed reading from all of the different perspectives and every character was incredibly well written and each had their own voice so it never got confusing to read.

I would one hundred percent pick up another book from Gemma Rogers and she has already made it to my auto-buy list!
Yes! another superb book by one of my favourite authors......

So when The Babysitter by Gemma Rogers came out I had to put everything on Hold!!! No housecleaning, Netflix etc, Take away menu's ready for later etc. Find my favourite spot in my garden and hope it doesn't rain and open my kindle!!!

Wow and Gemma's latest book did not disappoint! This latest book The babysitter was Superb - I loved it!
It was full of twists and turns that will have you hooked from the start like it did me again......All Gemma's books have been an excellent read, especially as her books just get better and better.

I highly recommend this latest book by Gemma.

Big Thank you to NetGalley and Boldwood Books for providing me with an ARC in exchange for an honest review
I am honestly at a loss on what to think of the end of this book. What Brooke did was extremely childish and I think everything spiraled out from there. It wasn't solely her fault but I can see why Ali would react like she did. I don't think its fair that a certain someone got off scott free. That's what really frustrated me in this book. I did like it though and it was a curveball of a read for sure. Thanks to Netgalley and the publishers for an ARC in exchange for a review.
Wow, this has been another fabulous crime thriller from this author. You are not left waiting for the story to get going as it kick starts immediately. I love this in a book and even when the pace slows down a little further on in the book, it doesn’t matter as I was already hooked.

I love the fact that the story is told from 3 different characters’ viewpoints. This ensured good character development and it also throws up a lot of questions about people’s actions, motives and choices. I was unsure what to make of the characters for a lot of the story but that unsettled feeling is one I really enjoy in a crime thriller.

The story took me on an unexpected journey with plenty of twists and turns, which is part and parcel of Gemma’s typical brilliance.

This is an emotive, dramatic and thrilling story from a brilliant fresh voice in this genre. I look forward to reading more from this author in the future!
Really enjoyed The Babysitter by Gemma Rogers - Every mother's worst nightmare. The Babysitter is a gripping thriller about the abduction of a child told from the POV's of three main characters.
Ali's best friend, Brooke, is also a neighbor who occasionally watches Ali's year-old daughter, Eden, every once in a while.

While Brooke has Eden at the local park, she is hit from behind. When she comes to, Eden is gone.

Someone has taken Eden and Brooke knows who.

All it takes is one snap decision or bad judgment call to lead to severe consequences. This is one decision that Brooke doesn't dare share with Eden's mother .. or the police. But it seems that Brooke is not the only one with secrets.

It's well written, not suspenseful, as the reader knows the "who" almost from the beginning. There are twists and turns that lead to a surprising breathless conclusion. The characters are all solidly defined. The story is told by three voices ... the mother, the babysitter and the man who took Eden. This is a stand-alone novel and set in the Surrey and Sussex areas.

Many thanks to the author / Boldwood Books / Netgalley for the digital copy of this page-turning thriller. Read and reviewed voluntarily, opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.
I really enjoyed this book from Gemma  Rogers. It’s the first of hers that I have read but will definitely be reading more of them. It has a good plot which is believable and the pacing is just perfect.
The Babysitter by Gemma Rogers is a thriller about the kidnapping of little Eden.  While at the park with her babysitter Brooke, Eden is kidnapped.  Her parents, Ali and Christopher, are devastated.  Brooke was knocked unconscious, so she doesn't know what happened.  Or does she know more than she's letting on?  This book was a little over-the-top, but it kept my attention and I enjoyed it.  Thanks to NetGalley for the free digital review copy.  All opinions are my own.
This book was an unputdownable page turner. While right from the start you knew who had taken Eden and why, the story revolved around how the abducter was going to get themselves out of the situation they had found themselves in. The story was told from the perspective of three different characters, and I have to say, while not agreeing with his actions, I felt sympathy towards Jimmy. As a mother I could also feel so much empathy for Ali and while she had made a mistake in the past, she did not deserve Christopher’s treatment of her. In fact I really didn’t like Christopher at all. While I could understand his anger and coldness, he wasn’t a likeable character at all, though of all of the main characters he was the one I felt we knew the least, and also didn’t get to read from his perspective. Brooke was immature and possibly suffering from some kind of mental health problem, to get herself into such a tricky situation and not to come clean about it. I really enjoyed this book and couldn’t put it down.
I needed to read this book when I read the blurb, it sounded right up my street and it really didn't disappoint. This has been told from the point of view of three of the main characters and I thought it was brilliant. To get the point of view of the abductor is very rare and I really enjoyed getting his point of view. It was a very different experience but one I really enjoyed.

I felt quite sorry for Ali, she has an abusive husband, granted they were both under a lot of pressure but there was no need for him to physically try and strangle her. I really wasn't a fan of Christopher. He pissed me off if I'm honest and I wanted to throttle him. Christopher was quite whiny if you ask me. He made the abduction all about him, when it was actually all about Eden.

Brooke I'm not too sure of. She really shouldn't have lied to Jimmy about Eden, she also shouldn't have exploited the situation, but she did, for her own gain. However, I did feel sorry for her and the hit she took. She didn't know Jimmy was going to do what he did.

Jimmy, I definitely felt sorry for, he abducted Eden, under the impression that she was his daughter and was about to be taken from him. However, he did go about it the wrong way. If that had been me in that situation I'd have asked for the DNA test as proof.

Would I recommend the book? Yes I would, it was brilliantly written, fast-paced and I loved the three person point of view. Very unusal way of writing, but it worked.
This is the first book I’ve read by this author, and it was absolutely gripping.

It’s one of those sort of books that totally pulls you in, and I just kept turning page after page, it’s completely addictive.

There are lots of thrillers written where a child goes missing, but this one is a little different. There’s the heart-pounding drama of a baby being taken, there’s the fear and panic of the parents, but there’s obviously another subtext, something not quite right with Brooke, the babysitter, who knows more than she lets on. It’s a really clever plot.

The story is told from several points of view, from Brooke’s, Ali’s, and rather unusually, from the abductor. It all makes sense once the strands of the plot begin to come together, but it’s very hard to see how it will all work out, and it’s really tense as the end approaches.

I absolutely raced through this book and could hardly bear to put it down. It’s definitely one to make sure that you have time set aside for, because you will be totally consumed by it.

Completely gripping and so well-written, I’ll be reading more books from this author, who will certainly be joining my favourites list.
Brooke Simmons has been a babysitter and longtime friend to Ali and Christopher Tolfrrey's.  She cares for their little girl Eden during the day whilst Abi works.

Eden and Brooke go off on their usual jaunt to Bushy park, to enjoy the swings and fresh air.
Whilst there Brooke is hit over the head and left unconscious when she comes round Eden is gone.
Brooke knows who has stolen the child but is unable to reveal her secret to Ali and Christopher or the police.
And so the nightmare for Ali and Christopher unfolds.

The story is a brilliantly written work with it coming in from three different sides, though not confusing.  There are some revelations made that make you gasp and it keeps you guessing what will happen next.
A real thrilling page-turner.
Thank you, NetGalley for allowing me to read and review this book. xx
I loved this book, it was different in the way that it didn't have many twists as you know straight off what has happened but it certainly keeps yous intrigued as to how it ends. I always enjoy books by Gemma Rogers and have read them all, she is a great story teller.
REVIEW BY NIKI PRESTON ~
Star rating ~ 5 PLUS STARS

I have to give The Babysitter 5 Plus Stars , I loved every page of this suspenseful thriller. The story is very different from the norm and I found myself in conflict with my own emotions, wanting to dislike “the bad guy” but finding myself feeling sorry for them, being Spun a web of lies that forces this person to take drastic action.

The Babysitter, Brooke can not quite believe how very daft she has been and it seems the more she tries to undo this devastating event the worse she makes things.

I read this book in two evenings, it’s an absolute page turner, it kept saying to me ” you can’t stop here there’s a really good bit coming up”

The underlying stories that run through the entire book really highlight how fast a couple can unravel. Once seemingly very happy, in love with the perfect family very quickly falls apart as dark secrets are revealed after their baby, Eden disappears.

Anyone who reads thrillers with a difference, shocking tension running through it that grabs the reader and takes you along with it right to the last page, needs to grab a copy of this corker of a thriller.
The Babysitter by Gemma Rogers had me well and truly hooked from the very start.  This was my first read from this author, but it will certainly not be my last.

Brooke regularly cares for the young daughter of her friends Ali and Christopher and is happy to help.  Eden is a beautiful child and brings joy to all who know her.  But a visit to the local park will leave Brooke with a blow to the head and the realization that Eden has been abducted.  How will the babysitter ever break the news to the parents who have placed their trust in her and, as concerning, how will she protect her own secrets?

This novel offers a fresh and unexpected take on the familiar child abduction scenario, and it kept me guessing and gasping until the final page.  I look forward to reading more from Gemma Rogers.  4.5 stars

Many thanks to NetGalley and Boldwood Books for an ARC.
When Ali and Christopher's one-year old daughter, Eden, is snatched in a park in broad daylight while Ali's best friend Brooke is taking care of her, the search is on to find her.

The book is told in 3 points of view, Brooke, Ali, and Brooke's ex-boyfriend Jimmy over a period of just three days but the plot affects all the characters.

It's twisty, fast-paced and absorbing. I enjoyed Reckless by Gemma Rogers and The Babysitter was amazing too. Creepy and atmospheric from the first page, I was hooked.

How much can you really trust a best friend?

Gemma Rogers has an excellent eye for detail and for creating tension and suspense. I felt like I could not get through the book fast enough as I wanted to know what was going to happen.

Thanks to Gemma Rogers, Boldwood Books and Rachel's Random Resources for my ARC in exchange for an honest and voluntary review.

I am looking forward to more books by Gemma Rogers who is now one of my favourite thriller authors.

5 stars
This was a good thriller. It sucked me into the story pretty quickly and I was curious how it ended. It was not one of those books that I couldn't put down but it did keep my attention. I would recommend this book to other thriller loves. I will also read more books by Gemma Rogers in the future