Cover Image: Daughter of the Moon Goddess

Daughter of the Moon Goddess

Daughter of the Moon goddess is a whimsical debut epic fantasy that tells the story of the titular character Xingyin, as she infiltrates the Celestial Court in hopes to find a way to free her mother from her confinement on the Moon. The novel explores themes of belonging, love and betrayal, as well as acceptance of one’s identity despite everyone’s bias.

Daughter of the Moon Goddess is a solid debut novel; while being quite flawed, it still has enough charm to capture the attention of a lot of readers. I was very excited to delve into this story—the premise, the Chinese folklore woven into the story, the cover(which is honestly one of the most breathtaking fantasy covers I’ve seen recently) seemed like the perfect blend for a dreamy, heartwarming experience, but unfortunately, the book fell a bit flat for me.

I enjoyed several aspects of the book—the romance of the main characters was cute with just enough angst, the descriptions reminded me of an enchanting fairytale and made me feel like I was at the locations that were described on the page, as well as the general story, albeit somewhat formulaic, was satisfying to follow. However, a lot of the elements of the book—namely, the characters, the dialogue, the plot twists—weren’t done as well as I hoped they would be. I think this is also partially my fault, since I had different expectations going into this book, because now that I think about it now, this book would work really well for readers with a strong preference for ya fantasy.

I can’t say I have strong feelings for any of the characters, but I liked them. Some of the characters felt a bit one-note: especially when it came to the main love interests, their whole personalities were boiled down to just that: being love interests with little qualities of interest. On their own, the characters don’t stand out as much as they do when they interact with each other: I cared more about the relationships than the individual characters. I was especially entertained by the romantic arc between Liwei and Xingyin—it was cute and fanciful and angsty and their interactions were the most enjoyable part of the book for me. I especially enjoyed some of the choices the author made and how the characters reacted to those choices. However, the love triangle took away from my enjoyment; I rarely ever enjoy those and in this book it felt too convenient for my taste. Wenzhi as a character I’m still conflicted about: I believe he could have been the most interesting secondary character of the novel, but the way certain choices were executed made him irritating and somewhat cliched. I like the idea that the author tried to pull off, but I wasn’t sold by the execution becuase I simply couldn’t get invested into the characters. They’re not exactly one-dimensional, but they feel like archetypes we’ve seen before and I didn’t catch any nuance that would have made them stand out.

The plot is where most of my issues with Daughter of the Moon Goddess lie. Right from the start, it is filled with convenient coincidences and meetings that don’t feel believable or convincing. Besides that, the middle of the novel dragged quite a bit—the cast of characters went on several different quests that were repetitive and quickly got boring; each quest expanded the worldbuilding and we got to see cool locations, but the character dynamics during those felt stilted. A lot of the time it felt like we were completing objectives of a game on each quest without a satisfying enough reward. Sure, the relationships developed, but it didn’t seem earned as with the relationships that took hold at the beginning of the book, as strange as that sounds. I think this is largely due to how repetitive the second act of this book is. Because of this, the pacing feels uneven; it started slow and despite the faster pace in the middle of the book and multitudes of the events it still dragged due to the repetitiveness of the events. Third act is definitely more entertaining; however, it is again plagued with conveniences and moments that aren’t fleshed out enough. The plot as a whole wasn’t gripping or suspenseful enough to keep me going; I was mostly reading the book for the relationships rather than the political intrigue/the quest of the main character to free her mother.

I liked certain aspects of the prose. The author succeeded at creating great visuals of the locations where the events take place—I was most immersed into the world when we got detailed descriptions of the Celestial Palace, the Southern Sea, or The Eternal Spring forest—the descriptions are lush and imaginative and made me wish I could see what they actually looked like on illustrations. I liked how diverse the environments explored in the book were: be it the mountains, the desert or the sea, every time the image was vivid and immersive and gave a sense of how expansive the world is. The prose is whimsical and lyrical, however I wasn’t a fan of how the dialogue is written: there were moments where it felt stilted, unnatural and info-dumpy, especially toward the middle of the book.

Overall, I still think this book can be enjoyed by a lot of readers, especially if you’re looking for an adult fantasy with YA elements that most of us love, this book may work for you. I think this author has a lot of potential, and even though I didn’t love Daughter of the Moon Goddess, I’m excited to see what Sue Lynn Tan has in store for the readers.

Thanks to NetGalley for providing me with an advanced reader's copy of Daughter of the Moon Goddess.
More accurate rating: 4.5

Special thanks to NetGalley and Avon and Harper Voyager for providing me with an e-arc in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own.

Content warnings: girl-on-girl hate

Rep: secret identities, Chinese mythology, friends-ish to lovers, lovers to enemies, love triangle, forbidden love, Mother/Daughter love/bond

Thoughts
Neutral thoughts:
The writing: In the very beginning of the book, the writing starts off very simple & I didn’t mind that cause I think that it helps represent how Xingyin is in the very beginning of the story. And while it still stays pretty simple, I still thought that it was good & just needed some work with the pacing. But because this is a debut, I am more forgiving when it comes to pacing or more simpler writing.

Xingyin: I liked her overall. I though that she was VERY naive in the beginning, and still through the events of the book, but I think that reflects the pureness of her ideals and her unwavering loyalty and her morals. She was just trying her best in order to set her mother free & finding herself and herself worth in the process & I could admire that about her.

This honestly is a SOLID debut & I highly recommend! I am not entirely sure where the second book in this duology is going to cover, but I am excited nonetheless!

Pros:
I really liked the lore in this one and how the Gods and Goddess were actual figures in this world, not just beings that were written about in ancient texts and stories that are told in the present timeline. How the Moon Goddess did things & how they were represented in our mortal world.

Some of the lines in this were absolutely beautiful. Like I literally had to stop and take the lines in & just are at them for a second.

The chapters in this were short & I honestly was flying thru this book like no other. One second I was on page 56, and the next things I knew I was on page 210 without even realizing it. So while the pacing was a little off in some instances, I was still flying thru the pages.

I also liked seeing the Mother/Daughter bond in this. I also have a strong relationship with my mom & it was really nice seeing the love that these two had for each other & seeing all of the sacrifices and actions that they did for one another because of the love that they had.

Gripes:
As I sit here and write this review I can’t think of any PRESSING issues (aside from the pacing) & the only thing I wasn’t a fan of for the most part was the love triangle that bloomed in this. And while it was THAT, but it is still a triangle nonetheless & I am NOT a fan of them.

The romance(s):
There is a love triangle in this 🙈 I know for this is a “buzz word” but for me it is not one at all. And while there is an inkling who Xingyin will be with at the very end of this duology based off what happened at the end of the book, I can see there being a “will they won’t they” and Xingyin going between Liwei and a certain General 😉(if you wanna know his name, by all means look at the spoiler (view spoiler)) in the next book. And while that ANNOYS me, I am hopeful for my boy Liwei 😭

Xingyin & Liwei: I REALLY liked them. Could they be described as insta-lovey? Perhaps. But I still liked them. First and foremost they saw themselves as friends, as two people who felt like they were lacking in themselves and the positions/roles that were forced into & just wanted a friend that they could lean on. And that is what I liked about them. It was not an instant physical attraction that they had for one another, it was an emotional bond that they formed first before looks came in to the equation. But lemme tell you, this gets angsty real fast 😹🙈 There is some heartache and some circumstances that separate these two from one another, but they may or may not reform their relationship at the end of the book… AND ALL I CAN SAY IS THAT I BETTER SEE A MARRIAGE CEREMONY AT THE END OF BOOK 2

For those who don’t know, Liwei is the Prince of the Celestial Kingdom. I REALLY liked him 😹 HE WAS SUCH A CINNAMON ROLL 🥺 While he did kind of get on my nerves on some things, he was also just trying to do his best & having to make choices that he didn’t want to make, but he had to. But he thankfully pull his head out of his butt towards the end of the story & I was swooning all over again.

Xingyin & the other guy 😹: While I understood the blooming of their friendship/relationship, (I even kind of rooted for them at one point) I just do not support them. (When you read the book you’ll know why). But I can totally see people falling in love with him and their relationship.
I enjoyed this one so much!

The whole plot was a breath of fresh air - and very escapist, which is exactly what I needed right now. And what an adventure? I never could quite predict where the plot would end up, and it took so many fun twists and turns while Xingyin was on her many wild quests. Ah! And the magic! So cool.

One of my favorite parts was the developed friendship and then forbidden romance between Xingyin and Liwei. I couldnt help but root for and against them at different times (I'm not usually a forbidden romance fan, either) but something about the way it was handled here had me so hooked. I loved the introduction of Wenzhi as well, and oh goodness I soooo wanted them together especially during the quest at the sea kingdom (acomaf vibes, anyone?). I honestly loved feeling so conflicted as to who deserved Xingyin, but it wasn't like a typical love triangle either, and throughout the whole book we keep learning so much more about them both. What a ride. And listen, I would be lying if I said I wasn't still rooting for ... well, the one I shouldn't be after that ending. But I can't help it. That's my kryptonite.

I also loved all the mythology and monsters that popped up, as well as the different realms. I don't want to give much about the plot away (I'm the type of reader that likes to know very little and go in with no expectations) so just suffice it to say that it's very pacey and fun.

From here, I'm just hoping we get a second book because it's clear there are some unresolved...feelings. (Insert evil smile here.)
*thank you to netgalley and Harper voyage for the arc in exchange for an honest review*

This was one of the best books I have ever read. The world created is incredible! The descriptions throughout the book were impeccable. I truly felt like I was a part of the journey. I could not put this book down. I was so sad when I finally reached the end. I want more! This is definitely a book I will be reading again. (I’ve already preordered two copies so far). Stunning masterpiece! I felt every emotion I could throughout. Happiness, sadness, anger, and tears. Please read this book. I will be posting my review to Amazon and other retailers closer to the release date. Amazing amazing amazing!
Daughter of the Moon Goddess lived up to the hype in my reading. I fell in love with the characters, the mythology, the descriptions, the magic, the world and so much more.

The story is a re-telling of Chinese mythology and the author does a brilliant job of luring the reader into the story to become a part of the adventure as well as explain aspect that might be new to them. Besides that, the way the author drafted the story I had not choice but to because a part of the mythology myself and that felt amazing! It has everything I look for in a fantasy story plus things I didn't know I loved. It has to enemies to loves and friends to enemies, it has a nice pacing and brillant worlding building.

The characters were wonderful, and I LOVED that the female was the strong and dominate type where the male was the softer, more emotional one. The "role reversal" was a joy to read and felt natural and realistic (as it should).

I will caution readers who don't do will with a lot of world building, characters and facts that this story has A LOT of all three within the pages. It is book one in what I am more than sure will be a series and because of that there is a lot to learn about. There are a lot of characters to keep track of and a lot of places to remember but if you love immersing yourself in stories and shutting out the world then this book is one that will do that for you in spades.

I really could not have loved it more and I will be buying this (with that stunning cover) as soon as it is available. I received an ARC via NetGalley and Avon and Harper Voyager, Harper Voyager publishers and I am leaving an honest review.
Daughter of the Moon Goddess was everything I wanted and more. Stories that pull their base or inspiration from myths and legends are some of my favorites in general, so hopes were high going into this book. It met every one of them. Sue Lynn Tan takes the long and twisting story and presents a beautiful written, relationship driven tale of a girl who's ambition is born for the love of her family.

Xingyin spent her childhood on the moon, the prison of her mother, Chang'e, hidden from other celestials until her magic becomes too much to hide. Xingyin must flee her home and start a new life. But in doing so, she works to find a way to free her mother. This journey brings Xingyin into the companionship of the Celestial Emperor's son and to the attention of the whole court. As Xingyin grows and finds her way, her drive to reunite with her mother and find justice for her family becomes a bargain that could throw the realm into chaos or that could deliver them into a new era.

I loved Xingyin and her refusal to give up her ambition for justice. The way that Sue Lynn Tan develops the relationships in the book be they familial, romantic or platonic, is done with such care and understanding of each character the socio-cultural ties therein. While Xingyin's driving force is the relathionship she had with her mother as a child, her friendships with the prince and later with other soldiers define her understanding of both herself and the world around in a wonderfully complex way. The pressures of expectation and desire to break from them is handled with such understanding that it was these relationships that drove my reading more than anything.  These same forces also help to complicate not only how others understand Xingyin but how she comes to understand the court and all those within it. I love a character driven story and one that places so much value in the development of relationships across experience is everything I love in fiction.

I found the book incredibly hard to put down this book for anything else. Tan's prose and storytelling is compelling and easy to slip into. Every element that is introduced in the story paid off and each twist was earned in the writing. This is an absolutely stunning debut and I cannot wait to see what comes next.
Daughter of the Moon Goddess was an utterly captivating and magical read. From the start, the prose has a unique feel; as soon as I adjusted I was absolutely entranced by the lush world-building and action-packed plot. I was amazed at how much happened within this novel without any of it feeling rushed or confusing. Xingyin was such a compelling protagonist, and I was so invested in her quest to free her mother and her growth as a character. And I haven’t event mentioned the romance yet! I think this book redefined yearning and angst, and even the love triangle didn’t feel like an overused trope. At so many points throughout the story I thought I could predict where it was going — and then it would twist off in a new way I didn’t see coming. I loved the infusion of ancient Chinese mythology, and thought it was a captivating retelling of the legend of the Chinese moon goddess. This book just felt epic in myriad ways: Xingyin felt like a warrior heroine out of myth, the action was the thing of legends, and the emotional and romantic aspects of the story were at times achingly tender, heart-wrenching, and overwhelming beautiful. I can’t wait to see where this duology will lead Xingyin next!
Daughter of the Moon Goddess is a fantastical novel that revolves around Xingyin—the daughter of Chang'e; the moon goddess—and her journey towards gaining her mother's freedom. She will be thrust into a dangerous world where she will be bent into submission and forced to hide her true identity in the name of safety. She will be sharpened by the challenges that lie along her way until she becomes a weapon that the world had made her to be.
Facing many hurdles involving love, power, and honor, Xingyin will rediscover who she is, who she was, and who she wants to be, in the name of saving her mother and those whom she loves.

I don't think I can explain how much I loved this book.
After reading the first chapter, I knew I would fall in love with the book and it's characters immediately. I was thoroughly impressed with Sue Lynn Tan's writing considering that this is her debut novel. She made it very easy for the readers to fall in love with her prose. Every word, every sentence was so beautifully stitched together to the point that I found it quite hard to stop reading.

Another thing I fell in love with in this book are its characters. I rarely come across books with characters that are this well rounded. All the characters felt so real and true to their identities from start to finish. There's that underlying consistency in characters that I never knew I needed until I came across characters like Xingyin, Liwei, and Wenzhi.
I was also captured by the plot of the book. I have a bit of familiarity with regards to Change's story but I never expected the things that I had read in this book. It put me in such a rollercoaster ride that I would be weeping through every single chapter but my emotions would always vary from rage and sadness. The whole novel was so action packed and it never bore me, not once.

I do have an issue or two about the pacing of the novel. It felt like some parts were a little bit too fast. I would have loved seeing some things/plots develop in a longer timeline because it would have given me more time to take-in whatever was going on in certain chapters. But I also feel like it was written this way because the author had to cover a lot of ground in order to push the plot around and reach the end of the story.

All in all, the Daughter of the Moon Goddess was an amazing novel and I would recommend it to anyone who loves:
- Retellings inspired by Chinese mythology
- Friends to lovers
- Friends to lovers to enemies
- Fast-paced books
- Soft prince x Girlboss Warrior
What an absolutely stunning book! And to think this is a debut novel too! I absolutely loved this one. These pages contain a richness and a whimsical ferocity that took me by surprise and left me wanting more! I already can’t wait for the next book!
Thank you NetGalley for sending this arc for an honest review!

The fact that this is a debut novel still shocks me to my core. This retelling based on a Chinese moon GODESS was absolutely breathtaking. Anything ever Asian rep related is an instant read from me. The history, and culture behind this story was so will written that I could not put the book down. The MC was so powerful and inspiring that I legit will be buying evrey copy of this book!
A beautiful and heartfelt read that is going to stick with me for a long, long time.

Inspired by the Chinese legend of the moon goddess, Chang'e is imprisoned on the moon after she steals an elixir of immortality granted to her husband by the Celestial Emperor. What is not known, however, is that she was pregnant, and did so in a desperate act to save herself and her then unborn daughter, Xingyin.

Fearful of what might happen if found out, she manages to conceal her daughter's existence for several years, until Xingyin unknowingly taps into magic she isn't aware she possesses. This draws the attention and suspicion of the Celestial Empress, and Xingyin is forced to leave the only home she's ever known in order to avoid being discovered, and finds herself in the Celestial Kingdom itself.

Arriving there alone and with nothing, she steels herself and resolves to find a way to free her mother and to return home, and thus begins her quest.

This was such a vivid, mesmerizing book with amazing world-building, and strong, determined, but still unmistakably human characters that I felt so much for. I wish I could stay immersed in its world forever, and I am so pleased to find that it's only the first in a duology.
The legend of Chang'e is a familiar Chinese myth and I've seen and read my fair share of retellings. However this blows them all out of the water with the fantastic world building, the deep and nuanced characterization, and the beautiful writing. It's a fantasy I'm happy to recommend to readers and non-readers alike. Definitely getting a copy (or two!) for our collection. 5 stars!
So, first—what a book! I can’t believe it was a debut for Tan. I mean, stunning doesn’t even begin to cover it. Though there are some content warnings I’d like to offer (death and violence, bullying, substances, etc.)

This book tells the story of a Chinese legend of the moon goddess, Chang’e. We meet the hero of this story, Xingyin whose character arc sees her transform into someone so hold and fierce to save her mother. Just beautiful.

This is the first in a duology and I can’t imagine how much more story there is yet to uncover. You know how some people talk about retreading a book they loved? I had always hoped I’d find the book that made me feel that way and now I have.

Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for this eARC!
Daughter of the Moon Goddess by Sue Lynn Tan immediately drew me into her beautiful fantasy world and I didn’t want to leave.  This beautifully written book is just as gorgeous inside as the cover.

Xingyin’s mother is the Moon Goddess and she has been exiled to the moon for drinking an immortal elixir that was meant for her husband, Xingyin’s father.  The Celestial Emperor and Empress do not know about Xingyin’s existence.  When Xingyin accidentally uses her power, the Celestial Empress is immediately suspicious of the Moon Goddess.  In a panic, the Moon Goddess sends Xingyin to safety, but Xingyin ends up in the Celestial Empire and ends up as a servant for the daughter of a powerful immortal Nobel.  Eventually, she ends up serving the prince of the Celestial Empire, as a companion and they train together as warriors.  Xingyin has a talent for archery, and after time, she enters the Celestial army.

I don’t read much fantasy, so I’m not sure how this book stacks up against other fantasy books.  But, as an avid reader, I’ll have to say it grabbed me and entertained me and I was completely immersed into the fantasy world the author developed.  I loved the main character Xingyin and loved seeing her grow and become a courageous warrior.  She stayed true to her motivation to release her mother from exile, and her love for her mother never wavered.

The first part of the book was about character and world-building and dragged just a bit, but once the action started, it pulled me along until the end.  This book is both lyrically written and action-packed, with a lot of twists and turns.

Daughter of the Moon Goddess is the first book in a duology.  I thought this first book in the duology ended satisfactorily and I can’t imagine what the second book will be about.  But, I’ll be first in line to get her second book because I absolutely loved being in this world with these characters.

I highly recommend Daughter of the Moon Goddess to anyone who loves fantasy.  I received a complimentary copy of this book.  The opinions expressed in this review are completely my own.
3.5
I can't decide on a rating. On one hand o enjoyed the story but on the other it was missing something which sounds crazy because this book holds a lot.

The writing itself was alright. It definitely feels like debut writing so I can only hope it gets stronger as she writes more novels.

The characters are great. I definitely want more stories from certain people.

The mythology was probably my favorite part. I loved reading about the different stories and creatures and people.

The plot and storyline is where I feel like my attention waned. There was just so much going on .  Like, we had many different adventures and tasks and discoveries in one book that's crazy! This definitely could have been expanded into another book but also it felt not rushed so maybe it does work?

Oh and the romance? Stupid. I hated everything about it. The triangle. The need to choose. The choice. Ugh that poor lost soul. 😞

Y'all are really gonna love this one.
Sigh. I guess I’m being a special snowflake again, because every other review I’ve seen for Daughter of the Moon Goddess is glowing, and I…just can’t see what everyone else is seeing. (Honestly, some of the other early reviews have made me question whether we read the same book.)

This is supposed to be Adult, but it reads like YA, and not especially good YA, either: generic, meh YA. Everything was disappointingly simplistic; the prose, the worldbuilding, the ridiculously convenient way that things fall into place for the heroine. Of course she ends up as the crown prince’s companion through virtually no effort; of course he chooses her as said companion, and manipulates the challenges on her behalf, based on an impression she made during a five-minute conversation. Of course he is kind and good despite his parents being unmitigatedly terrible (how??? where did he get all his virtues, who did he learn them from??? insert shrug here). Of course Xingyin is immediately so good with a bow the imperial soldiers watch her train – because her dad is a legendary archer, I guess, and that’s definitely genetic.

Even the magic system is oddly simple, mostly coming down to affinities for Earth, Air, Fire, and Water. I was surprised, and disappointed, that Tan chose to base her magic system on the classical Greek elements rather than the Chinese ones (Water, Wood, Fire, Earth, Metal), although in fairness she does add an additional two elements, Life and Mind. But the whole thing of, people who live by the sea are best with Water, by forests are best with Earth… That’s just simplistic and dull again. And the literal demonization of those with Mind powers was so obvious it had me eye-rolling at the page. It’s so in-your-face that it’s like a big flag waving ‘this will be plot-relevant shortly!!!’

And good gods, does anyone really need that many info-dumps? Info-dumps that repeat previous info-dumps?

These are all things that I can live with if they’re balanced by really beautiful prose, or lush, unique worldbuilding, or interesting and unusual characters. But I didn’t find any of that here. Despite drawing from Chinese mythology, Daughter of the Moon Goddess felt incredibly generic to me. I DNF-ed it at 22%, and it’s completely possible that it gets much better later, but I felt absolutely no desire to keep reading and find out.
I enjoyed the story and characters.  I liked the main character being a strong character that could stand on her own and didn't rely on a male character.  I also liked that the story felt like a complete story/ book, not something leaving me dangling until the next book came out.
I really enjoyed this book! It was an interesting and fun fantasy story, full of elements from Chinese culture and folklore. Xingyin was an enjoyable protagonist - tough, determined, talented, but still vulnerable. I didn't love the love triangle, but that's more because I just don't like love triangles. I did really like learning about the intrigues of the various immortals as Xingyin got caught up in them. The book ended in a way that makes me think there will be a sequel, which I'm excited to also read!
“Don’t tell anyone who you are. But never forget either.”

Xingyin grew up on the moon in solitude with her mother Chang’e, the Moon Goddess. Never knowing her father, or that her mother kept her hidden away. One day Xingyin’s powers are brought to life which causes a shift in the aura of the moon and warrants an investigation by the Celestial Empress. Learning of her own origins, and mother’s exile, Xingyin flees home, and sets out on an epic journey to win her Mother’s freedom. Will Xingyin be able to win her mother’s exoneration, and be reunited with her mother?

This debut novel from Sue Lynn Tan was beautifully written.  She paints a wonderful picture of the glittering Celestial Kingdom and the other realms of the world within the book.  A world full of magical and mythical creatures such as fox spirits, merfolk, and dragons. Her prose weaves beauty in every scene of Xingyin’s adventure, and I loved her retelling of a classic tale.

I loved being able to Xingyin’s thoughts and feelings as she went through her transformation  and develops her own strength and confidences to become the one of the Celestial Army’s top Archers. This novel had it all with a heartwarming tale of the love between mother and daughter, along with adventure, to even romance with a love triangle. There were also some plot twists that I definitely did not see coming! This book was easily devoured within a couple of days, and honestly am ready to read it again!

This is my favorite read from 2021, and most anticipated books for 2022.  I can recommend this book to anyone who enjoys fantasy along with some romance. I am looking forward to more books from Ms. Tan. Thank you Harper Voyager and Netgalley for the advanced reader copy in exchange for my review.
This is the book I wish I could've read when I was growing up and devouring all the fantasy novels I could find in my local public library — fantasy novels that were interesting and fun to read but that I never saw myself reflected in. Daughter of the Moon Goddess imagines the fate of Chang'e from Chinese legend, the beautiful goddess who marries the brave archer Hou Yi but is banished to spend her immortal life on the moon when she drinks an elixir meant for him. In this debut fantasy novel by Sue Lynn Tan, Chang'e has raised her daughter Xingyin in solitude on the moon.

When Xingyin discovers her own nascent magical abilities, she's forced to flee from the only home she's ever known to escape the wrath of the Celestial Emperor. She disguises her identity as she travels to the Celestial Kingdom. What follows is a nonstop adventure full of mythical creatures, immortals, and magic. Tan weaves a vivid and super fun to read story. I really enjoyed reading it and am thrilled that my daughter will grow up with books like this that really showcase the richness of Chinese mythology.