Cover Image: Beyond the Lavender Fields

Beyond the Lavender Fields

I want to thank Netgalley and the author for gifting me the ebook. Love the cover. Historical fiction novel. Recommend
This was a "love story" set
during the French Revolution. I have to admit- definitely do not know my French history.

Gilles and Marie-Caroline have differing views on their
country's future and how to get there. When they meet Gilles was trying to get MC to kiss him because of a bet. I felt like there was so much focus throughout the story of her telling him “I still don’t want to kiss you” even when she did.

I'll be honest. I was bored pretty much the whole book. The only reason I stuck it out was because I was listening to it so I figured I might as well see what
happened because I was driving anyway.

Was it the English narrator pronouncing French words that kept me from connecting to the story? Was it my
mood? I don't know.
Beyond the Lavender Fields was a interesting book and enjoyable read. I enjoyed the setting being in France with all of the history and drama of the French Revolution. I highly recommend it.
This book was so beautifully written. I loved the setting of the French Revolution. I learned so much and loved the slow burn romance. Definitely worth reading for the end!
It's been so long since I've sat down and read historical fiction, and Beyond the Lavender Fields reminded me just how much I love it. The novel is a blend of romance, history, and intrigue during the highly political times of the French Revolution. It was beautifully written, and the attention to historical details really immerses the reader in the book, leaving you feeling like you've stepped back in time.
This was a very beautiful romance with two people of different beliefs! I like how this novel is set during the French Revolution. It tells how a city that is far from Paris is still touched by the events of the Revolution. I also found the two characters to be very compelling. Both of them are on different sides, yet love keeps them together. This novel is about loyalties, patriotism, and love! I found all the characters to be very compelling. The writing is very lyrical and is meticulously researched! Therefore, I recommend this novel for fans of All the Glitters, The Wardrobe Mistress of Marie Antoinette, and The Queen’s Dollmaker!
This was a fascinating historical fiction story. The French Revolution, especially the time when they dethroned their king and queen was intense!  Gilles and and Caroline’s story was beautiful. The cover matched their story perfectly.
This is a great book set during the French Revolution. I liked how the main characters were on opposite sides of the conflict but found a way to compromise and be together. I thought the author did a great job of giving us the history of the time and I learned a lot as I read.
This book was amazing! Not only is it a fabulous escape from reality, which I often crave these days but it drew me into the French Revolution and TAUGHT me more about the history and helped me realize how this Revolution impacted the lives of those who lived during it. This is the best kind of book!

Arlem Hawks does her research. Understanding the politics, the different views and the social unrest was fascinating. Into this world we find Gilles- revolutionary extraordinaire who finds himself enamored with his bosses daughter and monarchist Marie-Caroline. Through their differing views we can be reminded that good people exist on both sides of a cause.

The book alternates between Gilles and letters Marie-Caroline writes her cousin which was a unique way to come to know her and her thoughts/ feelings. I highly recommend this book to anyone who enjoys historical fiction, French history or a thought provoking romance. I truly cannot recommend this book highly enough! Read it. You will not be disappointed.

I received a complementary copy of this book from the author and Netgalley. All thoughts are my own.
I really enjoyed this heartfelt and emotional story. The characters were so well written and had a lot of depth. I look forward to reading more from this author in the future.
I have always loved historical fiction. This one has beautiful prose and a compelling story, so I would recommend it to anyone that enjoys the genre.
As with all historical fiction, Beyond the Lavender Fields by Arlem Hawks taught me about the French Revolution during the years of 1793 and 1794.  It is under this revolutionary cloud that Giles Etiene, a Jacobin, meets Marie Caroline, a royalist.  Taking a dare from his brother and his friend, Etiene attempts to kiss Marie Caroline.  She is outraged that at such a time in the history of France, he should be playing such silly “games” that show no respect for women.  Giles soon begins to understand what Caroline is saying.  They soon develop feelings for each other but try to avoid falling in love because of their political differences. This does not work and just when Giles and Marie Caroline are on the brink of declaring their love, circumstances place Marie Caroline and her entire family in a precarious situation.  They must run and hid from forces beyond their control.  Working together with his father and other family members, Etiene is determined to save them.  A good story of love in the face of adversity.
It took me a long while to get into this book, but I kept reading, in large part due to all the good reviews I read!

This story takes place in Marseille, France in 1792. The two main protagonists are Gilles, a Jacobin, or revolutionary, and Marie-Caroline, who is a royalist. They are attracted to one another from the first meeting (Gilles works at her father’s savonnerie, or soap factory), but their opposing political views serve to make them each believe these views must keep them apart.

I enjoyed the character development in each of them. Marie-Caroline’s thoughts are mostly conveyed through her letters to her cousin and close friend, while we see Gilles’s transformation through the action of the story with his revolutionary companions. I enjoyed as well the seeming change in Gilles’s father, who is not a likable character until the end of the story. I’m glad I kept reading, and would recommend this book to lovers of historical fiction as well as slow- simmering romance!

I received this book from the publisher via net galley in exchange for an honest review. Four stars!
Beyond the Lavender Fields is a beautifully written story of two people with vastly different opinions and beliefs who find love.
Amidst revolutions and war, Gillies and Marie-Caroline learn to look beyond their differing sides in the revolution to see the people underneath. They change each others perspectives and balance each other out.
This story is heavy on the politics! And has a very strongly opinionated heroine. Marie-Caroline had me stressed to the max, she is not any easy woman to win over. And Gillies, well he doesn’t make the best first impressions but his heart is good! I was just waiting for them to make peace with each other and for Marie-Caroline to give him a chance!
I thoroughly enjoyed the many layers to the story and the extraordinary detail the author put into the historic events. It put me right there in the story. It is a bit slow the first half, but if you stick it out, the second half is worth it. Just keep going!!

Thankyou NetGalley and Shadow Mountain Publishing for the complimentary e-arc. All opinions are my own.
This was a heavier read than I usually go for. It was thought provoking. In my opinion, the romance was there but there was more history. Which is NOT a bad thing. Arlem Hawks is a beautiful writer. Her style is practically flawless. She did her research on this time period which i appreciate it. I don’t feel like it was exaggerated. The sweet, slow growing romance of Gilles and Caroline was beautiful. Two people who thought differently in some ways wanted the same thing at the end. Peace for their country. I would definitely recommend this book.
Beautifully written and evocative.  I highly recommend.
Many thanks to Shadow Mountain and to NetGalley for providing me with a galley in exchange for my honest opinion.
Thank you to the publisher and NetGalley for giving me a copy of this book. Overall I thought the writing and historical research was done very well. You could truly see the passion the author had for the historical subject. However, the book just dragged on too long. It became boring at the start which put me off the book for a long time. If the start hadn’t dragged for so long, I would have enjoyed this book much better. This book wasn’t for me, but I’m positive many people will love it.
This book was more than I could imagine. When I heard it was about the French Revolution, I was thinking it was more about the war and braced myself for multiple battle scenes. It wasn’t like that!

Arlem wove a beautiful story, from the main POV of Gilles, and through letters from Caroline, about the political battle between the Jacobins and the Royalists during the early 1790s in France. It’s historical fiction like this that makes me want to go research more about this time period that I didn’t know much about!

Synopsis:
Gilles is a clerk in a soap making favorite for monsieur Daubin, working to earn enough to go to medical school the following year. When Gilles is tricked into kissing mademoiselle Daubin, his whole world begins to shift. Of course, she refuses him either the line “I do not want to kiss you” that becomes my favorite banter line throughout the entire book!

Marie-Caroline is the only daughter of the Daubin. She recently arrived from Paris and wants to be involved in the soap and perfume making. Her views are very strong and opinionated, leaning towards the monarchy. So why does a Jacobin keep catching her eye? She knows. I thing can come if not, but she runs into Gilles everywhere.

I love this story because Arlem does an amazing job with showing how this relationship between to people with completely opposite views change and help form each other’s new views. It’s also a story that takes place over time and is not an insta-love story. It is also one of those books that makes one think…and that’s nice to have every once in a while!

Thank you to Net Galley for my complementary copy! All thoughts and opinions are my own.
This French Revolution historical fiction hits all the genre marks while captivating the audience. An intriguing plot with deft characters that moves along at a great pace. Hist fic fans will be moved by this read.
3 1/2 stars rounded up.

This one centers around the beginning of the French Revolution.  Things are looking bad in Paris, so Marie-Caroline returns to her home to wait out the unrest.  Gilles is a revolutionary who is excited about the overthrow of the monarchy.  As time moves on and the two get to know each other better, they both begin to be enlightened on the other side of the coin.  With the fury of unrest and the excitement of making a change, it is dangerous to be on either side of the revolution.  We get to watch as two people try to be friends with completely opposite views.  An interesting story about a time that I don't know much about.  The story wasn't as compelling as I had hoped, but it was clean and overall an enjoyable read.

Thanks to NetGalley and Shadow Mountain for an ARC in exchange for my honest review.