Cover Image: Country Kitchen Cookbook

Country Kitchen Cookbook

So, I doubt I would ever cook from this cookbook since I am lactose intolerant. However, that being said, I really enjoy reading cookbooks so I still had a great time with this one! The photography was gorgeous and the recipes sounded really good. I enjoyed reading through the stories and the entire thing just felt like a warm hug. I would happily read it again.
Country Kitchen Cookbook is a collection of traditional American food collected and developed by Jennifer Boudinot. This edition is due out 24th Aug 2021 from Quarto on their Chartwell imprint. It's 256 pages and will be available in flexibound format.

This is a comprehensive collection of homestyle food. It's clear from the recipes and presentation that the author is both knowledgeable and fond of her subject. The chapters containing the recipes are arranged thematically: breakfasts, snacks & starters, salads & sides, main dishes, and desserts & cakes. Recipe ingredients are listed bullet style in a sidebar. The measurements are given in US standard only. Special tools and ingredients are also listed, along with yields and cooking directions. Nutritional information is not included. The ingredients are all easily sourced at any moderately well stocked grocery store. The index includes both ingredients and recipes listed with page numbers.

The fried pickles, chicken and waffles, and hash brown casserole (called Sunday casserole in the book) are perfect and easy to prepare (and delicious). I haven't tried the other recipes in the book, but I definitely plan to do so.

The photography throughout is superb and the serving suggestions are attractive and appropriate and there is so. much. yummy. food! Nearly all of the recipes are accompanied by one or more color photos.

Four and a half stars.

Disclosure: I received an ARC at no cost from the author/publisher for review purposes
If you are looking for comfort food recipes then this new cookbook by Jennifer Boudinot needs to be in your kitchen.  As I flipped through the recipes I wondered if she had called my mom for some of these dishes.  Classic, hearty country cooking from all over America.

Appetizers, salads, sides, main dishes including fish, and desserts.  Lots of butter.  Lots of cheese.  Lots of yummy.
DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK IF YOU WANT HEALTH FOOD.

Thank you to Chartwell books for the ARC to read and review.
This book took me right back to my years living in the South! The photos are beautiful and I feel like I can taste the  recipes when I look at them.  Some of the recipes I can't wait to cook include: Blueberry pie, Sunday Casserole, Strawberry shortcake trifle, French Quarter Onion Soup, Chicken Brunswick Stew, Buttermilk Biscuits, and Chicken Pot Pie.  I can imagine these recipes being really popular for celebrations and for every day comfort food.  I can't wait to cook from this book and highly recommend it to anyone who is interested in trying Southern-style cooking at home.
This cookbook celebrates American cuisine in 100 recipes divided up by “Homestyle Breakfasts;” Irresistible Snacks & Starters;” “Scrumptious Salads & Sides;””Hearty Main Dishes;” and “Country Desserts & Cakes.”

This beautifully photographed title is filled with hearty, country cooking. The author starts out with a recipe that exemplifies what is within these pages. It is an easy to follow recipe for a Sunday Casserole that is filled with eggs, bacon, hash brown potatoes and more. That one is followed by more stick to your ribs food. Just a few of the recipes included are for Country Cobb Salad, Barbeque Baked Chicken, Buttermilk Biscuits, Hoppin John with Pork, and Coconut Cream Pie.

So, it is clear that this is not a cookbook for those on diets. All others, or those who are taking a break from healthy eating, will find much to enjoy here.

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher. All opinions are my own.
Date reviewed/posted: August 6, 2021
Publication date: August 24, 2021

When life for the entire galaxy and planet has turned on its end, you have personally decided to basically continue on #maskingup and #lockingdown to be in #COVID19 #socialisolation as the #thirdwave ( #fourthwave #fifthwave?) is upon us, superspeed readers like me can read 300+ pages/hour, so yes, I have read the book … and many more today. Plus it is hot as all heck and nothing is more appealing than sitting in front of a fan with a kindle!

Celebrate country cooking with over 100 quintessentially American recipes.

Apple pie, hamburgers, fried chicken. Some foods just take us back home. They evoke the feel of summer evenings on the lawn playing baseball, winter gatherings around a roaring fire, spring picnics, and fall football games on campus. For most of us, good times and good food naturally go together, keeping families close and memories strong.

The culinary melting pot that is American country cooking accommodates the great variety of tastes and cultures to be found here, creating a range of specialties that can be called favourites either regionally or across the country. This wonderful cookbook gathers together recipes that have helped define family fun, special occasions, and meals just-like-Mom-used-to-make for generations, including:

🍲 Strawberry Shortcake
🍲 Hush Puppies
🍲 Home-Fried Sausage Casserole
🍲 Chocolate Chip Pancakes
...and more!

With a flexi-bind format that stays open while you cook, Country Kitchen Cookbook provides excellent recipes for anyone who’s a fan of bacon, cheese, buttermilk, savoury casseroles, the sweetest pies, or anything deep-fried. Perfect for hanging around at home or inviting guests for a late, light supper, there is a recipe for everything, from simple meals and snacks to elaborate four-course dinner party showstoppers.

Yummmmmmm --- although a digital edition does not have a flexi-bind format, I can see spending a lot of time with this book and cooking every recipe that does not have ham or parsley/cilantro in it as no recipe is worth dying of anaphylaxis for!  The recipes are well written and understandable by cooks of all levels and the photos make the food very appealing to myself and other lovers of food out there.

I especially love the book because it uses mostly whole ingredients instead of pre-prepared and packaged foods and that the foods are easily found at a local grocery store.  I do draw the line at making my own cheese beyond a quickly-made mozzarella, and canning tomatoes but the more "ingredients" you use the better.  My one nephew says that I never have any food in my house, only ingredients --- that is why I cook so much. I also refuse to eat or cook with Frankenfoods such as "chick'n" and its 88 ingredients vs. 🐔chicken🐔 having one and cheese that does not come from an animal is udder nonsense!)

I will recommend this book to friends, family, patrons, book clubs, and people reading books in the park as we do … I have had some of my best conversations about books down by the Thames!

Take this book to the beach (or your back yard, porch or balcony) and enjoy it while planning your future meals  - just wear a tonne of SPF110 as you will lose track of time as you read this. - If we are in the 5th or 6th wave/mutation of COVID19 by then, stay inside: no tan is worth dying for.

As always, I try to find a reason to not rate with stars as I simply adore emojis (outside of their incessant use by "🙏-ed Social Influencer Millennials/#BachelorNation survivors/Tik-Tok and YouTube Millionaires/snowflakes / literally-like-overusers etc. ") on Instagram and Twitter... Get a real job, people!) so let's give it 🥘🥘🥘🥘🥘
If you’re missing home cooking and more specifically DOWN HOME cooking, you need to pick up this cookbook and get cooking!

Living in North Carolina the past two years, I’ve gotten familiar with southern cooking and this cookbook does it proud.  It’s the kind of food that sticks to your ribs and warms your heart, even though there aren’t as many cold days down this way.

The cookbook is straightforward and has many classics along with a few new twists.  The techniques involved aren’t overly complicated and more novice cooks should be able to churn out these recipes without too much difficulty.

As for taste, it hits the spot.  Everything I made was delicious and I could see myself using a lot of these recipes repeatedly.

A strong recommendation for anyone who likes to cook and wants some hearty food for their table.
Thanks to NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book. Lots of recipes included in this.  It’s not the healthiest of options with a lot of fried food and cheese! But the recipes are easy to follow and there are some interesting options like southern dishes such as gumbo.  Also some nice desserts, which are always handy to have.  Good photos too so you know clearly what the final produce should look like!