Cover Image: One for All

One for All

A strong, feminist take on the Three Musketeers! The protagonist is disabled, but attempts to work through this in order to solve her father's murder. Along the way she finds sisterhood as well as a assassination attempt on the king, but I found the mystery and the character development to be a little lacking. I'm still not sure if Tania as the main character grew along the way as her motivation always stayed the same throughout. The villain reveal was pretty obvious, but the climax was quite intense. While I didn't find the author's writing to be difficult to read, I lost interest when Tania left for Paris. I do think this is a strong debut from the author, but this particular story was a little lackluster for me.
One for All was phenomenal! A 2022 must read!

Rating: 4/5

Synopsis:

Tania de Batz is most herself with a sword in her hand. Everyone thinks her near-constant dizziness makes her weak, nothing but “a sick girl.” But Tania wants to be strong, independent, a fencer like her father—a former Musketeer and her greatest champion. Then Papa is brutally, mysteriously murdered. His dying wish? For Tania to attend finishing school. But L’Académie des Mariées, Tania realizes, is no finishing school. It’s a secret training ground for new Musketeers: women who are socialites on the surface, but strap daggers under their skirts, seduce men into giving up dangerous secrets, and protect France from downfall. And they don’t shy away from a sword fight.

With her newfound sisters at her side, Tania feels that she has a purpose, that she belongs. But then she meets Étienne, her target in uncovering a potential assassination plot. He’s kind, charming—and might have information about what really happened to her father. Torn between duty and dizzying emotion, Tania will have to decide where her loyalties lie…or risk losing everything she’s ever wanted.

Thank you NetGalley for giving me an eARC!!
Thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for the ARC.

So this is a story based on the three musketeers (but kind of loosely) with four teenage girls. They’re training in secret because of course they can’t be musketeers as women but France needs them to get men to hand over info, so they learn how to fight.

Our main character Tania has some sort of sickness which makes her dizzy and faint. But her father was a renowned musketeer so he trained her and then he gets brutally murdered. She goes to this training school on behalf of her father’s last wishes, which is disguised as a school to match young women to eligible bachelors.

Tania trains and soon is part of the pack, making friends and trying to discover the plot to assassinate the King. Her target is a handsome young man who seems to know how to help her in her dizzy spells and gets her to open up and he opens up to her. You’re led to believe his father is leading this would be coup and the young man Henri seems to be acting shady.

Honestly I really thought it was this guy’s father! But it was him. He had her father murdered because he knew there was a coming coup. He befriended her, stole her father’s letters, learned who she was and how to help her and then pursued her. She had fallen for him but challenges him to a sword fight and foils him and he gets taken by authorities.

Henri was not shady and liked Tania. This book is a little silly, but really charming and fun. Highly recommend, especially if you love a feminist retelling.
One for All was phenomenal! This book will definitely be one of my favorite books of 2022. I could not put this book down. Each chapter left me wanting more, to know what happens next. This book features a well-rounded cast of characters who band together to attempt to save the King in 17th century France.

These female Musketeers each had their own story, their own problems and their own strengths. I liked how Tania, Aria, Thea, and Portia all developed and grew throughout the book. I really appreciated the pearls of POTS references sprinkled throughout the book. People who do not live with POTS or know a lot about it may not understand these snippets, but they sure made me feel seen. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys sisterhood, historical fiction, action scenes, spys, lover to emeny troupe or has POTS/chronic illness.

Thank you to NetGalley and Macmillan for an ARC of this book.
I enjoy retellings, and knowing that this one contained a character with POTS (something I, along with the author, live with) made me even more interested in reading it ... and it did not disappoint.

I really enjoyed the author's writing style, and I found the characters to be well-developed and realistic. Tania is easy to root for and like. She's extremely determined and doesn't let anything hold her back, including POTS, the disability she's lived with for years. As the author also lives with POTS, the portrayal is spot-on! There is a romance angle, but it's minimal, which I appreciated.

Be sure to read the Author's Note and details on POTS. So informative!
Reader's Notes:
- there are two ladies that kiss and like one another (one kiss; it is fairly obvious after a bit that one likes the other and the other possibly likes her back)
- there is one mention of a character sleeping with someone to get a 'height of fashion' fan (we do not meet this character, they are just mentioned by one of the main characters in passing)
- a main character had her space invaded without her consent in the past as well as during the book (past event not really described but definitely had an impact on her; current event not described past hands on her)
- Tania (our narrator) has POTS which makes it difficult for her to do things at times (but she powers through with the right support!)
- this occurs in 1655 France
Review:
I absolutely loved this book! With spying, a mysterious death, kick butt ladies, and sword fights this was an awesome and enjoyable read! And that twist towards the end was shocking for me! I didn't see it coming!
I also liked how the author showed the reader how POTS affected a main character and what was a good way to stand by her and support her. And then she included her own experience with POTS at the end of the book. Not everyone knows what POTS is or what it can do to a person so it was nice to see that insight given to readers as well as having a strong character to represent those who live with it. (I do not live with it, but two people I know do.)
This story follows Tania de Batz, daughter to a former Musketeer who encourages her to fence and tells her stories of his days of protecting France. While her mother wants her to stop, be a lady, and do things like embroidery, which Tania has absolutely no interest in. She'd rather be as strong as she sees her Papa, instead of a sick girl.
But when her father is murdered, Tania appears to be on her way to do as her mother wanted...by her father's own last request. She is sent off to finishing school to be taught how to be a proper lady in society. Though when she arrives, Tania discovers that all is not as it seems.  He father knew what she wanted and provided a way for her to do it. For Tania to be a Musketeer, and this finishing school would teach her how to use her feminine attributes to spy and protect France from another avenue that the men could not.
When Tania is assigned a target to spy and glean information from, she stumbles but is held up by her sisters and it strengthens her bond with them. But as time and targets go on, she begins to feel something for her new target. And she questions where her loyalties lie. If she can take down her father's killer. If she can have all that she wants without betraying her newfound sisters.
One For All is heartbreaking and empowering all at once. Tania is a character that will be sticking with me for a while. Her love for her father, her desperate desire to do what she loves, and the support group she finds along the way. It’s all so wonderful. One For All is full of fencing, found-family, emotional relationship building, and care. I found myself captivated by Tania, fencing, intrigue, and romance. This book truly has everything a fantastical historical fiction could ask for and I’m so delighted to have read it.

Quick Summary: Tania is strong and determined to become an expert fencer just like her father, former Musketeer, but it seems her entire world is adamant that she is simply a “sick girl” because of her near-constant dizziness. When Papa is brutally and mysteriously murdered, his dying wish is to send Tania to a finishing school for girls. Torn between the feeling of betrayal and wanting to fulfill her father’s dying wish, Tania reluctantly sets off for finishing school. Luckily, the school isn’t what it appears to be. Tania soon finds out that the school is actually a secret training school for women to become fierce socialite spies.

Tania is a strong and powerful main character. She is an incredible fencer who lives with POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome), a condition that causes near-constant dizziness. The way that she is able to earn the respect of everyone around her is heartwarming and beautiful. She is able to prove herself an asset to the Musketeers and is not held back by her illness at all. It is a part of her and she knows herself and she believes in herself. There is so much joy in seeing the people in Tania’s life learn her needs in the same way any friend will learn each others’ needs. It’s respectful, honest, and touching.

One For All is a fierce gender-bent retelling of the Three Musketeers. Lainoff crafts a stunning tale full of adventure and found family that will be sticking with me. It’s heartwarming, strong, and empowering. Highly recommend!
Absolutely thrilling. I couldn’t put it down. The disabled, gender bending retelling of Dumas’ classic that you didn’t know you needed. Writing and characterization are excellent. MC Tania de Batz brings all the fire and shading of authentic chronic illness representation. Clever twists and turns. It’s a stunning debut. Recommended for all teen readers. A must have for library collection. A gamechanger for YA Lit.
CW: this book contains several references to sexual assault and resulting trauma.

While I think the pacing of One for All is a little off at times, I was immediately drawn in by the story of a girl struggling with chronic illness (POTS) who wants nothing more than to fence and follow in her Musketeer father’s footsteps.

This book has so many fun aspects of a good YA novel, from romance to espionage to spy school to an assassination plot, I would have liked to see the relationships with the love interests a little more developed so that they are a little more believable. However, I have almost no complaints about this book, at the end of the day. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I would highly recommend it to readers young and old.
This took me a while to finish, largely because of factors having nothing to do with the book itself, but I read the second half basically in one sitting and it kept getting better and better! While I found a couple of things predictable, seeing the way they played out was satisfying and exciting.

Seeing POTS represented so well in this book meant the absolute world to me. Not just how Tania manages her condition, but how her new friends learn the best ways to help and support her - every instance of that really warmed my heart. It's acknowledged throughout that Tania's capacities are limited, but she learns to play to her strengths in such a way that she still gets to shine as an incredibly skilled fencer.

In all, a really great read, and I'd love to se a sequel!

CW: ableism, sexism, parental death (murder), injuries, referenced sexual assault
This was my most anticipated book of 2022, and it certainly lived up to my expectations, and then some.

The first thing that drew me to this book was the chronic illness rep, and I loved that it was so present throughout the story. Tania's dizziness was woven throughout the pages in a way that meant the reader was aware of it all the time, even when it wasn't the focus of the scene, which meant a lot to me as someone who is constantly impacted by my own chronic illness, even on days where it is much more mild. Even though I don't have POTS specifically, I could see parts of my own struggle with illness reflected in Tania's story, and made me feel seen in a way that shows just how much we need more disability stories.

Another aspect I absolutely ADORED was the four musketeers at the heart of this story, and the bonds between them. Tania, who is discovering her own strength while trying to avenge her father; Théa, the ball of sunshine who is skilled with a needle as well as with a sword; Portia, who wants to pave the way for more girls to follow in their footsteps; and Aria, the quietest of the group but perhaps the most determined to make a change. Each of these girls were a joy to read about, and I was almost sad to finish the book because I didn't want to leave them behind. One of the best friendships I've ever read, I loved how they were always there to make sure none of them fell, both literally and metaphorically.

Even though this was a historical book driven by political intrigue, it didn't feel dense or slow as some books with those elements tend to do. This book was relatively fast paced, fun and action-packed, and perfect for getting me out of my reading slump. I can't wait until March to finally hold a physical copy in my hands, and am already excited to pick up any future books from Lillie Lainoff.
I struggled a bit with this one at first. It took some time for the story to get going but once it did the twists kept coming. It was definitely well written and I liked gradually learning about each of the characters as time went on. It had a good amount of action and explained the story well enough that I didn’t feel anything was left out. I’d say it was an exciting read that I would recommend to anyone who enjoys a good story with some adventure or likes the Musketeers.
When I first read the synopsis of One For All, I immediately knew this was a book I just had to read. I was extremely happy when I got an ARC and I’m so happy the book lived up to my very high expectations.

From the very first page I already liked the main character Tania. She is a very strong and inspiring character and I immediately found myself rooting for her. She made this already incredible story even more enjoyable.

The chronic illness representation was so important to me. I don’t have have POTS like Tania does, but I am chronically ill. It was incredible to see someone like Tania. I don’t ever get to see chronic illness represented like this and it was amazing to see.

The sisterhood between the four Musketeers was I think my favorite part of the book. Found family is one of my favorite tropes and I really loved that it was such an important part of the book.

I do have to say though, I did not always understand all the French phrases that were being said because they were not always translated and my French knowledge is very limited.

Overall, despite the slow start, I absolutely fell in love with this book. I cannot wait for it to hit shelves and for everybody to get a chance to read this. Because trust me, you definitely don’t want to miss out on this one!
This novel takes place a generation later than the source material during the reign of Louis the XIV. Athos is now Thea, Aramis Aria, Porthos Portia, and Tania is of course D'Artagnan. Porthos and Aramis's close relationship is kept and transformed into a lesbian one adding the first of two LGBTQIA elements to this retelling. The other is the transformation of the musketeer commander Treville to Madame Treville who states she's never been interested in marriage and what went with it, putting her on the asexual spectrum. However, she's not incapable of love as she's shown to be very caring for her nephew Henri and the girls.

In addition to the inclusion of LGBTQ+ characters, Tania is disabled. I love that the main character is disabled. How often have we seen a disabled hero in a novel like this? Never. Which is why the author, who has the same disorder as Tania wrote the novel. Tania and Lillie have Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, or POTS. According to the notes in the back of the novel, this disorder wasn't identified until 1993. It disproportionately affects woman and girls, who where all to often ignored in the past when they brought their medical concerns to doctors. Tania's struggles not only illustrate what it's like to have POTS, but the struggles disabled women and disabled people in general would have gone through in that time.

The story was the perfect balance between action, adventure, and intrigue as the girls flirt their way to uncovering the assassination plot in the most exclusive balls, duel their opponents on the docks and in pubs, and spy on the nobles of Paris from the streets and garden parties. It also had a healthy dose of sisterhood as the girls vowed to never let Tania fall and accept her disability, and each other. Together with Madame Treville and Henri they become a family, and found family is one of my favorite things.

I give this one Four Lightsabers for it's exciting story, much needed disability representation, and inclusion of lesbian and asexual characters in a classic retelling and historic setting. I'm happy to add this one to my Disability and Chronic Illness Representation book list and can't wait for young girls with POTS to discover it.
I think that for a younger audience, this book is great! The writing is so descriptive and you really root for Tania. She’s an incredible main character who despite her struggles and disorder, is strong, fearless and so inspiring. The only problems I had with this is that it definitely would’ve intrigued me more if I were between 12-17 when I read it just because I’ve read so many edgier books lately and expected the same for this and also that the French phrases were sometimes hard to pick up on. Nonetheless, this is such an exciting story about friendship, feminism, and empowerment that I loved.
What a fantastic way to start off my reading year! I absolutely adored this story and Tania. From the very beginning, Lainoff captures readers with a fierce protagonist that deserves the world. Bringing forth nostalgia from my childhood-obsession of the Three Musketeers mixed with girls with swords, One for All is a fantastic read!
I was so excited about this book because gender bent musketeers with disability rep sounds awesome. Unfortunately the execution just didn’t work for me. We started out fine but things took a turn once we got to the school. The other musketeer ladies were so incredibly cardboard to me, as was the love interest. The character work in this just didn’t do it for me and I wish that more time had been taken to cultivate unique musketeers that I felt like attached to. Unfortunately the book was bland because I couldn’t even tell the difference between side characters.
An OwnVoices, gender-bent retelling of The Three Musketeers, in which a girl with a chronic illness trains as a Musketeer and uncovers secrets, sisterhood, and self-love.

Literally say less.

feminist retelling of the three musketeers ✔️
heroine that suffers from a chronic illness (POTS) ✔️
uncovering an assassination plot ✔️
secret sisterhood of badass sword fighters ✔️

As someone who has POTS (postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome), I've never seen myself represented anywhere in media, but this book changed that, and I'm so glad that it was excellently written. The author did a great job of showing how POTS affects people in every day life, and how it is a constant source of fatigue, even on a better health day. Tania's symptoms were talked about every day, not just used for dramatic effect or when convenient, which I was thankful for. I loved how Tania was still able to be a strong, successful musketeer despite her illness, and that she found people who supported and cared for her (believe me, it can be hard). This is definitely some of the best chronic illness representation I've read.
Thanks to Fierce Reads for the eARC of this book!

This one was really good. I love the female Musketeer aspect and the setting of France. The premise is fascinating and the MC is superb - I loved her disability and how she fought to be as normal as possible - fought to make people see her instead of her illness.

There were a few issues I did have with this book which is why the 4/5. The politics / intrigue was very confusing. It was overwhelming in some instances. Also the beginning was really slow too. Finally, I was a tad bit upset by the outcome because it was so … expected? And frustrating?

But all in all, a solid debut!
I loved everything about One For All.  I thought the author did such a great job explaining her disease/illness and I hope everyone reads the notes at the end.

Tania has an illness that no one can really explain.  She gets dizzy, has trouble standing at times, and even faints.  Her mother tries to hide it so that someone will marry her.  Her father helps her work through it.  He was a Musketeer and taught Tania how to fence.  There were things she would never be able to do and her knew her limits.  He trained her and she excelled at it.  When Tania's father was killed, a note was left that she was to attend a finishing school to find a husband and settle into society.  Tania was fuming, but she wanted to get to Paris to try to solve her father's murder.  What she finds at this school is a family.  It's not really a finishing school.  It's a school for female Musketeers.  They are still dressed up and brought into society.  But the four girls are taught how to get close to men and find out their secrets.   The know that there is a threat to assassinate the King and they must find a way to stop it.

What I loved most about this book was the found family feel.  The friendship between the four girls.  I loved that Tania started to see herself as strong and capable.  She thought people would leave her because of her illness.  Her old friend made fun of her.  But these girls take her in and help her whenever it's needed.

I just really loved this one and can't wait to read whatever the author writes next.

I gave this book 5 stars.  Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for my earc.

Warnings for murder, mention of unwanted touching, chronic illness, blood/cuts.