Cover Image: You Should Have Seen This Coming

You Should Have Seen This Coming

Thank you to the publisher and Net Galley for the advanced copy of this book in exchange for my honest, personal review. Hayden and Cassie both have the ability to see events, Hayden of the past, Cassie of the future. While Hayden uses these visions to blackmail her fellow students, Cassie tries to help others with hers. Two opposite girls who will eventually need each other when Cassie is kidnapped. Includes some mystery as well as teen angst, the story moves quickly which is a plus. I would recommend to YA readers!
Great book and enjoyed the characters . loved the slight romance and the how well the group worked together. Overall a great book . I would read this author again.
DNF @ 40%. It was just moving so so slow. I kept finding myself putting it down more often than not. The boyfriend breaking up with her "in the future" was super weird to me.
This was a good book and I loved the different twists! having a character with the ability to see the past added a completely different take to most YA myteries. It reminded me a bit of the show The Medium. While I did wish there was a bit more to the whole "seeing the past" ability, overall this book was an enjoyable read.
This book is a mix bag for me where as I enjoy the ending and I like the idea of this book, but it took so much set up at the start of the book to get to the action that I lost interest in this book at points so it took longer to read with that said I can't give it more then a 3 star rating but if you like a slow burn kidnapping book with a little twist then this book is for you.
This was a good one! I really enjoyed reading it, and I would definitely recommend for fans of YA suspense.
You Should Have Seen This Coming by Shani Michelle is a young adult thriller book. The book is dual POV and follows the missing daughter of the sheriff and the girl who is trying to find her. The book was engaging but I didn't care about any of the characters. Overall the book was just alright. I gave it 3.5 stars but I am rounding it up to 4 stars. Thank you to NetGalley and Macmillan Children's Publishing Group, in exchange for an honest review.
This was a fun YA read about teen psychics. Enjoyed the pacing of the story and the connections between characters. Was able to identify the protagonist about half way through, but still made for a fun read.
I really enjoy YA thrillers and I thought this one sounded particularly fun because of its supernatural twist. This one tells the story of a teenage girl, Hayden, who has visions of the past, and she uses these powers to exploit her rich classmates. However, when another girl (Cassie), who can see the future, is kidnapped after trying to help Hayden, Hayden has to use her powers to solve the mystery..

I would recommend this to younger readers who want a fun mystery and love witchy vibes! I feel like a lot of this book was things I would have loved as a young teen or pre-teen - friendly drama, cool powers, and trying to solve a mystery. The book leaned quite a bit on high school stereotypes, which I didn't love, but I did find the characters to be pretty well developed despite this. I also felt that the mystery was really well done instead of leaning on the supernatural aspects, and it kept me guessing the whole time. I read this really fast because it was so much fun!

I'd recommend to anyone looking for a fun mystery, especially a younger reader.
DNF.

I struggled with the whole “boyfriend breaking up in the future” and essentially having her see visions of him—well, what felt like cheating—was a bit triggering for me.
Thank you NetGalley and Macmillan Children's Publishing Group, Swoon Reads for providing me a copy of this ARC in exchange for an honest review. All opinions and views expressed are purely  my own and not affiliated with any brand.

This was a fun, fast paced read that kept me guessing up to the very end. Shani Michelle wrote a fantastic and compelling story that I really enjoyed. I would recommend this book.
You Should Have Seen This Coming is a fun YA novel.  It keeps a quick pace. The psychic teens have to contend with more than they plan - particularly since they can see the past and future.  There is a touch of romance and a great ending.

Notes: Includes mentions of drug use.
The story is engaging and made more so with a few chapters from Cassie’s point of view. As Hayden searches for clues to finding her, we get glimpses of what Cassie is going through. It heightened the suspense, keeping me guessing as to whether Hayden would find her and if Cassie would survive the ordeal. I couldn’t stop swiping to the next page, binge-reading it until morning because I couldn’t put it down.

There are stereotypes with Hayden as the resident outcast, Cassie as the nice girl, and then a longer list of minor characters, including mean girls and jocks, to round up the high school experience. While the characters are stereotypical, there is depth to Hayden and Cassie as the story progresses.  Hayden provides the main point of view, but the book starts with one of Cassie’s visions. Hayden is my type of hero: tenacious, toes the line between right and wrong, and has a hidden heart of gold. Hayden is one part Veronica Mars and one part Eleanor Shellstrop from The Good Place (the after-Chidi begrudgingly better version of herself).

There is a potential for more books in the series. The evidence or the hints that there is a deeper story are present throughout. I would be willing to pick up the next book to figure out what is going on. I enjoyed this more than I expected. If you’re a fan of Veronica Mars or like amateur sleuths with a paranormal twist, this book is one you will enjoy.
You Should Have Seen This Coming grabbed my attention from the get go and I couldn't stop reading! This book was fast paced and kept me guessing until the end.
I personally am a huge fan of mystery’s and thrillers and I thought the being able to see the memories from items was such an interesting plot twist and I thought it was executed well. I am excited to see what other books this author comes out with because this really was so interesting.
This YA mystery brought something to the table I had never seen before, but ultimately it fell a bit flat. I really enjoyed the magical realism—with characters who could see the past, see the future, and feel others feelings. Our main characters, Hayden and Cassie, fit into the typical delinquent and popular girl categories, and their stories intertwine in an interesting way after Cassie is kidnapped. I enjoyed how their respective powers were used to advance and influence the storyline, though it was left pretty unexplained as to why they have the powers.

While I understand the whole team-up of Hayden, Cassie’s ex-boyfriend, and her best friend as an investigative team, I really think these kids went to far in trying to solve this case by themselves. The stakes felt both high and low—yes, Cassie was kidnapped and being held hostage, but the kids take days to investigate clues and kinda sit around a lot. They had the sheriff right there to help, yet they chose to keep all the evidence and information to themselves. They almost got killed for that.

Additionally, the characters felt a bit one-dimensional to me, and as a result a lot of the dialogue and inner-monologue was boring and had more telling than showing. It felt like a very basic and simple writing style. It wasn’t written badly necessarily, but it lacked the oomph that makes a book really shine. Overall it was a good YA mystery with some fun powers and a good twist ending, but nothing super noteworthy. I think this would be best suitable for a younger YA audience (though the Cassie POV chapters while kidnapped are a bit disturbing).
You Should of Seen This Coming
Author: Shani Michelle
Publisher: Swoon Reads
Pages: 368
Goodreads Rating: 3.87

Thank you to NetGalley and Swoon Reads for providing a copy of the book for me to read in exchange for my honest opinion.

Synopsis: Hayden sees the past, sometimes just touching an object will illicit flashes of the owner’s previous memories. If the memory Hayden sees is a deep secret, she will use this to her advantage by blackmailing the person for cash to keep the secret. Cassie sees the future and it sucks. Cassie frequently wakes after dreaming of a disaster that she feels compelled to stop. Cassie also envisions her boyfriend falling in love with someone else, the “sucks” part. When Cassie tries to warn Hayden that her latest blackmail scheme is a trap, she knows she’s really in trouble. She has the visions to warn of an upcoming kidnapping, however, no matter what she tries, she is unable to stop it. Hayden could be to blame. Can Hayden do good and help find Cassie before it’s too late?

My Thoughts: Most of the chapters are short, which I love, however, there are a few that are longer. The story is told from the POV of our MCs, Cassie and Hayden. Here lately, I have really been loving YA books and this one is no different. This book has a spin of supernatural/fantasy that just works well for this story. I really enjoyed this story. Cassie’s banter was amazing and the sarcasm displayed by Hayden is my favorite. The characters are very well-developed and intriguing. I love the supernatural spin with the psychic gifts, makes for an amazing story. This was a fast-paced book that was mysterious and page-turning, I continued anticipating the next twist, when boom it was in my face. I would read more by this author. Very good read.
You Should Have Seen This Coming is a YA mystery packed with actions and supernatural elements.
The plot revolve around a character who has the ability to see the future and another character has the ability to see the past. But what happens when one of them is kidnapped. Hayden is on a mission to save Cassie
It's a refreshing and fun read! Overall I did enjoy it but I find some parts a bit slow and boring.
I love characters that aren't exactly likable. WE don't like everyone in real life, so its natural to not love a character. I loved that about this book! It was a good read.
Hayden and Cassie both struggle with a version of psychic abilities. Cassie can see glimpses of the future and Hayden sees glimpses of the past. When Cassie is mysteriously taken, Hayden finds herself working besides Cassie's best friends to find her.

I like the premise of two gifted girls from different sides of the track colliding together in a race against time. I'll admit that I found the build up more engrossing than the climax. Hayden comes off as an unlikable character. Her rough exterior harbors a resentment against the rich and vicious. Some of her resentments and walls were slightly over the top but I appreciated watching her come to terms with her aggressive nature as she grows closer with Brody. I also liked how she stands firm against bullying but the novel portrays a sense of needing to know both sides of some stories.

Cassie's POV is limited. I enjoyed the suspense hers added to the plot. Even though she isn't all over the novel,  I was impressed the author was able to give her the depth she had.

I did want more of the special abilities. Some readers may enjoy the fact this aspect isnt soaked into every page. I personally love the unique and obscure. I felt this lacked something more exciting. Maybe it was the climax that didn't hit the nail on the head for me. Maybe it was the character connection I wasn't able to establish fully. I did want a little something more though.

Overall, this was a likeable read. I could see young adult readers who enjoy mystery and magical realism together with a smidge of suspense. Thank you Penguin Teen for the gifted digital copy in exchange for an honest and unbiased review.