Cover Image: The Younger Wife

The Younger Wife

Special thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for a free, electronic ARC of this novel received in exchange for an honest review.
Expected publication date: April 5, 2022
Sally Hepworth delivers one heck of a domestic suspense novel with her new work, “The Younger Wife”. Full of family secrets that come to a head at one memorable wedding, “Wife” pulled me in right from the start!
Rachel and Natalie (Tully)’s father Stephen is getting married again, to a woman named Heather who is more than half his junior. But what really throws the women for a loop is that Stephen is technically still married to their mother, Pam. Although she suffers from dementia and is in a long-term care home, the two have never officially divorced. As Stephen and Heather plan their wedding, Rachel and Tully begin to uncover some deep-rooted secrets from their father’s past that leave them questioning their own past, present and future.
Hepworth brought all the emotional connections to these characters, and I adored each and every one! Rachel and Tully, both recovering from traumas that have forever changed their lives, have reconnected once again over their father’s upcoming nuptials, and their sibling relationship is enviable and lovable. As secrets are revealed, Rachel and Tully turn to each other with nothing but love and support, regardless of the consequences, making these sisters a true delight! Even Heather and Stephen have their charming moments, convincing me that Hepworth cannot write a bad character.
The story is told from the alternating perspectives of Tully and Rachel, mostly from the time period leading up to the wedding (although some chapters have snippets of the weddings’ catastrophe sprinkled through it). Each chapter is easily labeled, adding to “Wife’s” addictively creative flow. Hepworth puts just enough twists and turns throughout the plot to leave you guessing!
Although the ending didn’t quite deliver the punch I wanted, everything else about this novel hit home for me. I loved the vulnerability of the characters, the intense slow-burn of a plot, and the creative way Hepworth delivered each and every page-turning plot twist! Hepworth is in a league of her own with “The Younger Wife” and fans of this genre will add yet another favourite author to their list.
Stephen, a well-respected doctor is engaged to Heather.  He also has two daughters, Tully and Rachel. Stephen has a wife, Pam, who resides in a care facility due to dementia.

This story moves back and forth between present day and the past. Both of Stephen’s daughter has issues, one handles stress by shoplifting, while the the other uses food to soothe her anxiety. Heather deals with her past trauma with alcohol. As the story unfolds  secrets about the three women’s past are slowly revealed. Pam, Stephens wife resides in a care facility due to dementia.There so many secrets, so much deception it is difficult to to know who is telling the truth.

Things come to a head at Stephen and Heather’s wedding
when the family, including Pam is gathered for the ceremony.  In the end all pieces of the story come together for a surprising ending.

I was so caught up in the lives of the characters. I was on the edge of my seat waiting for the surprising conclusion.

I loved this book. I felt the characters were interesting and relatable.  This book will keep you up late. It will keep you turning pages to find out what happens next.
This type of mystery novel is what I am really craving for. Will leave you really packed with questions on your head. Are you ready to delve in this?
This wasn’t at all what I expected, but I’m not mad about it? I really enjoyed the characters (especially Rachel) and loved the dynamic between the sisters. I read this so quickly and found myself wanting to know more and more about this family. And what can I say about the ending? I don’t even know what to think! All around a really fun ride.
3 stars for this domestic drama that started off strong but ultimately faltered with a disappointing and unresolved ending.

Sally Hepworth does a great job creating deep and interesting, if at times unlikeable, characters and I enjoyed that we got narration from three of them. I would have rated this higher if not for the problematic ending and the message it conveys regarding domestic abuse.

I've really enjoyed Hepworth's previous two novels, so I definitely still plan on reading her next one.
What an unexpected surprise I found in this story. After a couple of ARC's that I just couldn't get into I went into this book with not a whole lot of optimism and after the first chapter I still wasn't convinced. And then, wham! It hit me right around the third chapter and this book  took off for me in a big way. I appreciate that the author made me have to work a bit to keep my eye on the ball by casting neurotic characters who each had their own character flaws/compulsion, secondary characters (hello Darcy) who seem suspicious only because they are too good to be true, to those where suspicion is cast on them even though they seem to be squeaky clean. I was never quite sure which direction to look. I am not one to want to ruin an ending but I have to ask. Is it possible that the author may have intentionally engaged in a bit of brilliant gaslighting of her own in that final chapter?
Stephen appears to be a model father and husband to his wife Pam and his kids Rachel and Tully. However appearances aren’t always as they seem.

Pam is currently suffering from dementia and Stephen is now engaged to their interior designer. Rachel was a victim of sexual assault as a teenager and Tully is a kleptomaniac. Things take a dramatic turn when these secrets start coming out and the spotlight is on Stephen.

I am purposely keeping my synopsis brief as this book is just one wild ride. Sally Hepworth has done it again. After reading her last book I didn’t think it could be topped but this one does. There so many twists and turns and the secrets are just incredible. There are some triggers such as sexual assault and domestic violence but I hope this doesn’t deter everyone from reading it. I loved it all and highly recommend this book
What a fantastic thriller! Sally Hepworth weaves together a story that is unforgettable and impossible to put down until finished. Two sisters must come to terms with the fact that their father is moving on from their mother who is in a facility for those with dementia. But is everything really as it seems? I loved this book and highly recommend it. Thank you yo #netgalley, the publisher and author for a requested ARC!
What the what?!?!  I do love me some Sally Hepworth and this one did not disappoint!
What I loved:  Oh man, Sally weaves a story that keeps you guessing right up to the last line...and even beyond!
What I didn't love:  That I'm left with questions!! But the book is still fantastic and those questions need to remain!
Why you should read it:  The whole thing is a little unconventional....Their mom is still alive AND married to their father - so why is he dating someone else?!?  Granted their mother is in living with dementia, but still...does that give him the right to move on while she is still alive?  Two sisters are trying to figure out just how to deal with the messes in their own lives when their mother is diagnosed with dementia and then moved to a home.  Adding to the drama...their father is now dating someone THEIR SAME AGE.  Questions arise, motives are challenged...just what happened over the years and who is to blame?!?!  And what the heck happened at the wedding!

This is a great page turner that will be easy to recommend to readers.
I have loved everything I have read by her. Her books are so readable and addictive. I fly through them. She has become a favorite go-to author for me.
An interesting read - neither life-altering or can’t-put-downable… might follow the author for backlist & future reads.
Thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for the opportunity to review this book.
Hepworth does it again!! An intriguing and well written thriller-ish book! Not too scary but fully enraptured me! This one has a little bit of a deeper element with more well rounded character development. Loved it!
The Younger Wife by Sally Hepworth gives us multiple viewpoints into the new relationship between a younger woman, Heather, and older man, Stephen and his two daughters, Rachel and Natalie (who just so happen to be around the age of his new girlfriend). The book explores the dynamic of familial ties, the ways that we cope with trauma, and how sometimes we turn a blind eye to things.

I really enjoyed 95% of this book and really did NOT enjoy the last 5%. I thought Sally wrote some wonderful characters who felt real and spouses or partners that love others despite their addictions (and always seeking to understand), but the whole potential false accusation narrative that takes place in very final pages portion of the book is frustrating. Why include it? What did it add to the book? For me, just frustration.

This review is based on NetGalley ARC provided in exchange for an honest, unbiased opinion.
Thanks to NetGalley and St. Martins Press for this ARC.

I don't really know what to say about this book, or honestly how to review it. First of all, I was under the impression that it was a thriller. A thriller, it was not. It was definitely a domestic drama. We follow two sisters, Tully and Rachel, who have not been close over the years, and their father, Stephen, a doctor, in his 60's, is marrying a much younger woman, Heather. Pam, Rachel and Tully's mum is in a rest home suffering from dementia. It just all sets up as a very awkward scenario with Pam is an included and wanted guest ex's wedding. Stories about each of the sisters unfold, all relating to some kind of trauma. Rachel deals with her pain with gorging on food and Tully, a kleptomaniac. Through the midst of the stories of Rachel and Tully, we are also introduced to Heather's past, which was also very traumatic. Somewhere along the line, the story twists into the direction of Stephen being an abuser. Is he or isn't he? Did he, or did he not abuse mum? Did he or didn't he try to kill his new fiance? The ending of this book just ruined it all for me. There was no resolution to the story, and as a reader, you are left wondering what really happened. I told myself when I finished, "this is it?, why did I just spend 3 days reading this"!? I also really didn't like the impression it gave off of women who had been through trauma in their life, almost as if they will always be confused or at odds with what is really happening, and somehow will always be out of touch with reality. I am sad to say that Sally Hempworth has disappointed me a second time, as I did not like, The Good Sister either by her.
This book is filled with family secrets and - for me - an unresolved ending, although I think some people may disagree.
Stephen divorced his wife when she went into an extended mental care facility for dementia and is now marrying the much younger interior decorator he met while still married to Pam. That's the opening scene in the book.
The story next goes back a few months and is told in revolving POV between the 3 women in the book, Tully and Rachel, Pam's daughters, and Heather, the soon-to-be- new wife.
What Sally Hepworth gives is through their narratives are very different glimpses of their everyday lives and backstories that hint of what is to come in the ending - an ending I didn't predict ( which is always wonderful for me as a reader.)
Having said that, I am left with questions. I can't state what they are because I hate spoilers, but if you read the book I wonder if you will feel the story is unresolved as I did.
All in all a masterful telling of a story filled with family drama - present and past.
Thanks to NetGalley for the ecopy for my Kindle.
I have read all of the author's books and enjoyed all of them. But this one left me "hanging."  I am confused as to the "real truth" about Stephen?
4 Stars

Thank you NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for the opportunity to review the latest book by one of my favorite authors. It did not disappoint.

A slow domestic suspense/family drama.

Stephen Aston is getting married again. The only problem is, he's still married to his first wife, even though she is in a care facility for dementia. But he'll take care of that easily, by divorcing her--even if his adult daughters protest.

Tully and Rachel Aston look upon Heather as nothing but an interloper. Heather is the same age as Rachel and even younger than Tully. Clearly she's a golddigger and after their father's money. Heather has secrets that she's keeping close, and reasons of her own for wanting to marry Stephen.

With their mother unable to speak for herself, Tully and Rachel are determined to get to the truth about their family's secrets, the new wife closing in, and who their father really is. But will getting to the truth unleash the most dangerous impulses...in all of them?
perhaps this book wasn't for me.  none of the characters felt credible to me;  a barely functioning kleptomaniac?  a binge eater that is magically sexy to everyone?  a super hot, funny, sensitive man that is nothing beyond that?   & the supposedly "twist" ending, really isn't one.  this read was fast but clunky as hell.
I enjoy books where all of the characters can get under your skin but still make you root for them. The Younger Wife fits that bill. None of the protagonists are reliable (or terribly likable), and throughout the book I wanted to scream “communication, people!” Still, I like Hepworth’s writing, and anyone who enjoys realistic/family fiction with a hint of mystery might like this. It would be a good beach read.
I did not end up enjoying this title as much as I thought I would. The hype for this book was large, but did not fit into my personal reading style.