Cover Image: The Younger Wife

The Younger Wife

Sally Hepworth has done it again with her latest release, The Younger Wife.  A multi-faceted, character-driven tale of domestic drama, Ms Hepworth has crafted a story that will propel you through the pages.  It is both intriguing and highly readable with the perfect balance and flow.  Brilliant.

Stephen is a surgeon who plans to marry the much younger Heather, nevermind the fact that he is still very much married to Pam, who is in care for dementia.  A quickie divorce removes that particular obstacle, but new bride Heather, with a complicated past of her own, seems unsure of the man she is about to marry.  Stephen's daughters seem to accept their father's plans without too much fuss, primarily because their own troubles are consuming them.  And when a mysterious figure from the past materializes, the stage is set for a wedding that none of them will ever forget.

I look forward to anything written by the wonderful Ms Hepworth, and would read her shopping list if it became available.  This one is another triumph, and I cannot wait to get my hands on the next.  4.5 stars

Many thanks to NetGalley and St Martin's Press for an ARC.
Great twists, family drama and a bit of mystery makes this an excellent book. There are some well developed characters, each with their own problems that keep the book interesting. Perhaps there are more problems that what an average family might incur but that’s why it’s a work of fiction.  The story is based on three female characters, two sisters and the younger woman that is marrying their father.  Their mother has Alzheimer’s and when they begin to question things she is unable to answer their questions.  The story will keep you on your toes right until the very end.  I didn’t want to put it down.

Thanks to St Martin’s Press and NetGalley for inviting me to read this book.
I always like Sally Helpworth's books.  She is a good story teller and she develops her characters well.  They are usually fast reads and they are books that I simply enjoy reading .  This book falls in that same category.  It contains family saga and dysfunction with intrigue.  What more could one ask for!

Thank you to NetGalley for providing me with an early release in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Sally Hepworth is becoming such a domestic thriller queen. To start I'm a big fan of an Australian setting. It feels exotic but familiar all at once! There were a lot of things I liked about The Younger Wife! I loved the examination into Tully's neurotic nature and how it affected her kids. I loved Heather and learning about her background with her parents. But I felt like I missed out really on Rachel, Pam and Steven. Normally, I don't love tons of characters but thought the book would have benefited into a small look into Steven's mindset to drive the story. This story didn't pack as much of a punch as her bother books and I didn't feel the drive to finish and "figure it out" so much as her other stories. I thought it was a solid domestic thriller with "is this really happening" energy!
It's a fun, well paced read with some definite twists. I'm still not sure about the ending but all in all I loved it and would recommend it.
The book became more intriguing about halfway through and then became difficult to put down. I had to find out if Stephen was the monster his daughters, fiancé and wife thought he was.  An interesting  twist at the end.
Loved the book. Kept me guessing and then the finale, just WOW!  Didn’t like Tully at the beginning but she grew on me as the book went on. Rachel was interesting. Totally understood her mental health battle.  Well done Ms Hepworth. Can’t wait for your next book!
Sad to say that this is my least favorite Sally Hepworth book. It kind of dragged for me and was not really suspenseful just a lot of family drama. I was so looking forward to this one but it fell flat for me. Thank you for the copy!
let me start off by prefacing that this book heavily discusses mental illness, abuse and rape. With that being said, I absolutely enjoyed every second of it. This book follows Stephen (heart surgeon), and his soon to be ex wife Pam; their two daughters, and most importantly the "Younger wife" Heather.
Stephen falls in love with Heather while they work on changing Stephen and Pam's house. Pam
unfortunately develops dementia after some head trauma and goes into a nursing home.
It doesn't take long before Heather, herself, experiences some falls that result in head trauma. Is it her drinking? Or is it something more sinister.
Stephens children however, have their own personal traumas that seem to effect their daily lives a it which leaves the reader to wonder if their mental issues is a product of nature vs. nurture, or is it all a coincidence?
I appreciated how this book touched several "taboo" issues without making it feel preachy . If you are looking for a fast paced, twisty thriller that leaves you on the edge until the end, this book is for you.Thank you Net Galley for the amazing ARC.
Sally Hepworth is so good at messing with your expectations. Her books look like they are just generic WIFE books, but they are not! When did WIFE replace GIRL in GasLit? And what does that say about us as a society?
This was a really good, fun, twisted read.

This tells the story of two sisters..., and their dad who remarries....    but wait..

Their mother has Alzheimers, so their dad wants to divorce her so he can marry a new love interest...   And there is more....

Did I happen to mention that the new wife is the same age as the daughters?...  and thats just the tip of the iceberg.

The story is told from multiple perspectives, which I loved.

There is a big mystery, which I don't want to reveal because it might spoil things.  But you wonder - is one person crazy, is someone else evil, what is really going on???    I couldn't stop reading to find out the truth...

This is a quick, easy read, but will totally grab you.

Thank you to the author, the publisher and #netgalley for the ARC which did not impact my review.
If you are a mystery suspense lover who has not started reading Sally Hepworth, you are missing out.

The Australian author is quickly becoming the most dependable name in literary mystery fiction. I have loved all her books, and the latest is no different. The book features adult sisters and their reaction to their father's much younger girlfriend/fiancee. Hepworth has a gift for fully developed characters and a slow burn to twists.

I really cannot say enough good things about this author or The Younger Wife. When you finish, read her other books as well.
Wow! This was one of Sally Hepworth’s best books yet! I devoured this book in a day. Thanks to the publisher for allowing me to read this wonderful book.
I am a huuuge Sally Hepworth fan after reading The Mother-in-Law & The Good Sister so I hopped on the chance to get an ARC of her latest novel from @netgalley!

The Younger Wife follows one family: dad Stephen, (ex)wife Pam, and two daughters Tully and Rachel… but Stephen is getting remarried to Heather, a girl younger than his two daughters. We see the drama surrounding this marriage unfold as the story hops between the wedding day & the months leading up to it — not only learning more about the younger wife but seeing the secrets each family member has been keeping.

This book was definitely gripping and I liked the premise - Sally Hepworth knows how to keep you turning the page. Also it was crazy bc this was the first novel I’ve read that mentioned COVID-19, felt surreal to be reading about it in fiction. However, I haaate to say it … this one fell a bit flat for me compared to her other novels (SAD!). I kept waiting for the “a-ha” moment, and a few of the twists (like who was the 1st person narrator in the wedding chapters?) were just meh when the truth came out. Also, no spoilers, but the ending to me was not realistic and felt like a quick way to wrap up the suspense. A positive here is ultimately readers are left with some ambiguity and even though we THINK we know the truth, it’s not 100% certain.

I would definitely say give this a read, if only just to continue enjoying the complex families Sally Hepworth is able to create. Also this one is a quick one, you can read it in a few days easily! Thank you @netgalley for the ARC!
Wow!  I loved this book and devoured it in two days.  Hepworth masterfully crafts an engaging plot with complex characters who are well developed and interesting.  While a "thriller," the novel usually reads more like literary fiction while also keeping the reader guessing.  This was absolutely fantastic!
I loved Hepworth's last two novels so I was excited to receive a copy of The Younger Wife from NetGalley. The story revolves around sisters, Tully and Rachel who are dealing with their father remarrying a younger woman after putting their mother in a nursing home due to Alzheimer's. Rachel and Tully are both great characters, struggling with their own trauma while dealing with the new addition of Heather to their family. The discover of a hot water bottle stuffed with almost $100K leads them to question their parents marriage and what they thought they knew.

I highly recommend this book to fans of thrillers and psychological suspense. I stayed up most of the night to finish it, which I seldom do but Hepworth writes great characters and I really enjoyed this story.
Are you kidding me? Sally does it again. I adore her and her books so much and this one was just as wonderful as the rest if not better. The characters are so well rounded and thought out. The intense situations she puts the characters in and how it all works out is forever the best. I also love that this story also includes sisters just like her last story did and I think it has a lot to do with her children but either way I love it you can really feel the sister bond.
Thank you to Sally Hepworth, Netgalley and the publisher for the ARC copy.

I rate this book 3.5 stars, rounded up to 4. This was a good mystery. I wouldn’t really say it was a thriller, as it was kind of slower paced, but it definitely kept me interested and wanting to know what would happen, I liked the characters, and how they all had issues and problems going on outside of the main mystery. Sometimes that can feel like too many plot lines, but in this case, I think it worked well.

I didn’t love the ending though. I felt like there was a lot of build up for nothing to really happen. I know the end was supposed to be ambiguous but in this case, it just left me feeling unsatisfied. I would have liked to have seen more loose ends tied up with more concrete storylines.

All in all, this was a good book. I’d still recommend reading it, and will continue reading Hepworth’s future books, but just didn’t like it as much as The Good Sister or The Mother In Law.
Well, this was a surprise!  Love all Sally Hepworth books but this may be her best yet.  Basic plot is Dad is going to marry a younger girl while Mom is in assisted living with dementia.   The two sisters, Rachel and Tully, are attempting to come to terms with this and their own dramas.   Definite read.
Surely there is nothing better than an invitation to read a new Sally Hepworth novel.  Thrilled, I dived  into it over a  heatwave weekend armed with the perfect excuse to not leave the house due to the sweltering weather so all I could do was to wipe my brow and quickly turn the pages.  A domestic thriller with the central character of Steven, a charismatic older man (a surgeon no less) and the women who surround him, Rachel and Tully his adult daughters, Pam his current wife at the time, an ex and Heather, his new young beautiful girlfriend.  We open at Steven and Heather’s wedding where a traumatic event takes place.  We then learn about the women and the impact Steven had on them.  Think about how we say  everything is ‘fine and fairytale ’ when we look on from the outside not really knowing, and think about being on the inside feeling fine yet knowing something is wrong, and then doubting yourself when confronted with the not so perfect truth.  Powerful story of love, power and distrust. Much distrust. I even doubted myself at the end.