Cover Image: Finlay Donovan Knocks 'Em Dead

Finlay Donovan Knocks 'Em Dead

Before anyone starts getting all torqued off by this meh rating please remember that according to Goodreads a two means “it was okay” and that’s what my feelings about this one were. I’m not usually a series reader, but I enjoyed the first Finlay book enough to snag a copy of this second. Now that I’ve finished I realize maybe there’s only room for Stephanie Plum in my life when it comes to over the top crimestopper antics starring a couple of ladies.

Things immediately started off not so great when the premise was Finlay coming across someone trying to take a hit out on her ex-husband. To begin with, it was on basically a Next Door App sort of site rather than the dark web and it all came off like pizzagate read between the lines hidden messages. That plot line was already weak and Finlay jumping in with a crapload of stooooopid/criminal decisions in an attempt to save his sorry ass didn’t make things any better.

Unfortunately that wasn’t the only thing that harshed my buzz. I’ve made it clear that I don’t like kids interrupting the flow of my fiction, but again with the dumb bunny decision making when you have tiny humans to care for? Extra irritating. Then there’s the loose love triangle featuring a college fuckboi. I’m all for Stella getting her groove back but come on he was just a rebound boink - let it go. And then there’s Vero. I thought she’d be a real ride or die, but I didn’t enjoy her subplot whatsoever. Someone messing with your money (again especially when there are children to feed and bills to pay)??? I don’t care what the reason, get the eff out of my house.

I think it’s time for me to cut ties with Finlay. I hope everyone else enjoys book three!
What a fun read! Enjoyed this one just as much as I enjoyed the first and I can’t wait for number 3!!

These are the perfect mystery but so much fun! If she ends up with that college lawyer I’m going to be so annoyed (but love all the love triangles/interests everywhere).

Also love her relationship with her mom, sister, and her co-accomplice  and the trouble they get into! Russian mafia? Breaking into jail? Hiding bodies? what will happen next!
I absolutely loved this book! I was a major fan of the first installment in the Finlay series and the second one did not disappointment. You can tell this book is a bridge connecting the first book to the third book. There wasn't anything incredibly new that happens in the storyline, but sets it up great for the next read. I love all the characters and their relationships with eachother.
4.5-5 stars. Pure fun and brain candy. Somewhat improbable but the laughable situations that Finlay finds herself in make this character and book such fun.
In this second installment of the Finlay Donovan series, hilarity and hijinks continue to ensue. With the help of her trusty sidekick, Vero, Finlay sets out to find the person or persons who are out to kill her ex husband,Steven. Along with solving the latest mystery to fall into her lap, Finally continues to juggle being a mom, a writer, and having a newly burgeoning love life.

The second book in the series, Finlay Donovan Knocks ‘Em Dead serves up a familiar blend of humor and hysterics that have quickly become an on brand blend for the Finlay Donovan franchise. Reminiscent of Stephanie Plum, I listened to Finlay while watching the last season of Dead to Me on Netflix. The similarities were not lost on me. In fact, if you are a fan of either of the aforementioned and haven’t yet, I suggest trying Finlay Donovan on for size. Sure, it gets a little far fetched and ridiculous in parts, but books like these also deliver marketable mischief that does not disappoint.
The 2nd installment of the Finlay Donovan series was just as exciting as the first.   With Finlay finally "getting" her life in order created more twists and turns in her crime solving saga.   I enjoyed this one as much as the first and it was a fun quick read that seemed to fly by.
I love Finlay! What a fun, witty, and completely enjoyable book. This series just keeps getting better!
Elle Cosimano has done it again. This was another laugh out loud adventure for Finlay Donovan. I'm not sure how one person, and her sidekick, can get into so many troubles and still make it out on top. This has fast become one of my favorite and most recommended series! I can't wait for more!
Readers who loved the first book will love this one. Howver, those readers on the fence will probably not be engaged with this installment. The humor and writing are amped up in this one and I felt it took away from a fun story.
This review is already on goodreads-
 	Such a great follow up to Finlay Donovan Is Killing It!! I was highly anticipating this book and thought it couldn't be as good as the first one. I was wrong. This book was hilarious, so entertaining. I can only hope she continues with more of this character. And Angela Dawe, the audio narrator is excellent as well. I always say a narrator can either make or break a book for me. That being said, if the narrator wasn't so good, I could definitely just transition to the print and be just as entertained.
I didn’t like this as much as the first one, but it was still an enjoyable quick read. Very predictable/more unbelievable than the first.
I loved the first book in this series so much, I was so excited for the second one! I am happy to say I loved it just as much as the first. You do need to read the first book for this one to make sense. If you’re a fan of light and funny mysteries, you will love this one!
Finlay Donovan’s return is sure to delight fans of this cozy mystery series. After accidentally getting hired as a contract killer and being caught up in Russian mob business, author Finlay and her nanny Vero are once again comically roped into the business of killing. When Finlay finds out there is a hit out on her ex-husband, she tries to track down the assassin who has accepted the job before they can off him. I found this even more delightful than the first book - it’s unhinged, hilarious, and over the top in all the best ways.
This is the second book in a series and it is so over the top that you can help but fall in love with the characters and plot they come up with. Finlay and Vero are the set of best friends you want in your life forever. They’ll have you laughing while falling in love with their sarcastic, witty banters.

I can’t wait to get my hands on the third book! Thanks to netgalley and the publisher for providing me an arc in exchange for an honest review.
This book was a fun addition to this series and I'm excited to continue following the characters. Finlay is a loveable main character that you want to root for, while I can't believe that everything that has happened to her would happen to one person so quick IRL, the story is funny and quirky making it a great read. I can't wait for the following books and I hope that Finlay and her family's stories continue for a while.
Finlay and Vero are at it again. This time someone is after Finlay's ex-husband and it's in her best interest to figure it out in order to protect her children. This is the second book in the series and like the first, it is a fun, light read. There's a dash of romance and a splash of humor. I particularly like the way Finlay and Vero are unapologetically themselves.

Finlay is a novelist, and the story is meta in a life-imitates-art sort of way.

If you're a fan of the Netflix series Dead to Me, you will love this book.
We all love Finlay and in this story we still do! A fun story with all the feels kept me up late trying to finish it. Love this series!
Ahhh Finlay Donovan! I really love this series — she made me laugh and cry and laugh again! In this second book, I saw how her friendship with Vero blossomed. I think the BFF aspect got me more than her romantic interests. I like book 1 better than this one, though I can understand the need for character development. I am definitely looking forward for book 3. I want more Finlay and Vero adventures!!!
Finlay Donovan makes my day happy.
She is kind of clumsy like Stephanie Plum but a little dark like Dexter.
Highly recommended for fans of quirky mysteries.
This is the second book in the series and to fully appreciate this one you need to read the first book Finlay Donovan is Killing It.

Elle Cosimano is back with Finlay Donovan who may sometimes want her ex-husband dead but doesn’t want anyone else to kill him:

It starts with some back room Chats that Vero is looking at looking for the next job that Finlay should accept, even though the last one was a one time thing. At the livery least Vero chocks it up to research as Finlay seems to have writers block for the next book in her series. When Vero stumbles upon a hit on Finlay’s ex-husband Steven she knows she has to do what she can to prevent, but before she can accept the hit, someone beats her to it. Determined to protect Steven, figure who the other hit woman is and who took out the hit on Steven, Finlay has her work cut out for her and she needs to get it down before the deadline of her book.

Sometimes it is hard to right a sequel to an amazing book that many have loved. It is often compared to the first one, was it as good? Funny enough? And I am happy to say that Cosimano did not disappoint with this book.
I really love this series as it is me laugh but also that Cosimano is also able to weave an interesting mystery throughout the book. Like who did put out a hit on Finlay’s ex-husband and the lengths and antics that Finlay and Vero go to had me laughing a lot, maybe not as much as the first but one still pretty close.

I honestly did not mind the romance in the book as Finlay really does not know how to date, so everything is a bit of a train wreck. I’m not a fan of the love triangle that is playing out but I can live with it as long as it doesn’t become the sole focus of the story.

I like that Finlay is able to take what is happening in her real life and translate it, in a way, to her next novel as it makes Finlay feel more real. But then part of me questions how long Finlay (and Cosimano) can keep this up before someone really get hurt (Finlay) or the ideas become stale (Cosimano).

This book is a fun easy mystery read that not only keeps you on the edge of your seat but also laughing out loud. I cannot wait to read the next book in this series

Enjoy!!!!