Cover Image: Finlay Donovan Knocks 'Em Dead

Finlay Donovan Knocks 'Em Dead

OBVIOUSLY. No surprises here. I love Finlay Donovan & the number 2 in this series!! Thank you for sending!
I had fun with the first book, and was hoping this was going to be just as fun, if not better.  Unfortunately, I think I’m in the minority when I say I didn’t enjoy this as much as book 1.

It was just ok for me.  I’m not a fan of slow paced reads, and this one was slow burn with most of the better parts happening towards the end.
I forgot how much I love Finlay Donovan and her sidekick Vero. She is once again struggling to write her next best novel, when she finds herself in the midst of another murder attempt and scheme. This time, here husband is the target, and she has to brave herself against Felix, the Russian mobster that is the man that she helped place in jail in the first novel.

I listened to this one once again, and found myself laughing out loud in tears with the humor and writing style. I loved it!!
I have a hard time enjoying stories where the main characters can’t get their shit together. And unfortunately, Finley Donovan is one of those people. It’s hard to root for someone whose life is in shambles and can’t even do their job. And this story is complicated - an accidental hit woman, involvement with the Russian mafia, a truly awful ex husband with ludicrous custody battles, children that she never has to deal with herself, money flying everything which way. It's a lot. And the books in this series do not stand on their own. I got part of the way into Finley Donovan knocks them dead,, the second in the series, and was just missing way too much backstory. I had to go back and read the first one (more of the same shambles) before coming back to finish this book, just so I could understand what was going on. That did help me enjoy this second book a bit more, but there are still too many plot holes and things going on, and a generally unlikeable lead. How does Nick simultaneously know everything going on, and still nothing? There was seemingly a bomb dropped about Vero toward the end, and it was completely ignored. There is sort of a love triangle but the book makes it clear that we're going to see very little progression on the romance side in these books, so there isn't even that to bring in some fun. The plot to book #3 was set up at the end... And I know I won't be reading it.
Another fun read about the wild life of Finlay Donovan and her nanny, Vero. This time around, Finlay is trying to figure out who wants her ex-husband dead, and find them before they get him. Her and Vero's antics are always hilarious and ridiculous, but you can't help be invested in these characters. I don't know if I liked it as much as the first book, but this is still a well-executed sequel to one of my most recommended books of 2021.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for the advanced copy of one of my most anticipated reads of the year!  I can't wait for Finlay's next adventure.
Oh how I love the Finlay Donovan series! Finlay Donovan Knocks 'Em Dead, the sequel to Finlay Donovan is Killing It, certainly did not disappoint!
The ultimate girl power duo of Finlay & Vero are back at it again, this time to find out who wants Finlay's ex-husband out of the picture (forever), all while Finlay is trying (and failing) to write her next novel and Vero is busy hiding some secrets of her own!
These two never fail to provide entertainment, laughs and a little bit of suspense as they dig their way out of the most interesting and hilarious situations!
Elle Cosimano has knocked it out of the park once again with this fun Finlay Donovan follow up that is the perfect blend of comedy, suspense and maybe even a little romance! Get this one - it will not disappoint!
Oh Finlay Donovan, how I love thee. My girl Finlay is back with her partner in crime, Vero, and they are up to more of their antics. I am not a series reader, but I love this series so much! I don't want it to ever end. It's fun, endearing, and makes me root for Finlay. I'm so hoping she and Nick end up together. #TeamNick I can't wait for the next book in the series. Thank you so much to Minotaur books for my gifted copy in exchange for an honest review.
What a perfect sequel.  I absolutely loved this book. So well crafted. Thank you for an advance copy.
Okay so let me start by saying how fun this series is! Like the first book this one is filled with fun and hijinks as Finlay and Vero get themselves into impossible situations, that, while often utterly unbelievable, also made me unable to put it down.

This one picks right up where the first book leaves off which I appreciated as there’s not much time wasted on backstory (this is definitely a case of you should read the first book before this one).

Finlay discovers there’s a hit out on her ex husband, Steven, and when another contract killer picks up the job Finlay has to find out who they are and stop them before Steven is killed.

I really, really  enjoyed this one but there were however a couple of things that annoyed me a little. Vero’s character was one that I adored in the first book but I felt she got a little lost in this one. There was too much evasiveness around what was going on with her character in this book and when we found out I didn’t think this was followed through on particularly well so I wish it had either been left out entirely or more care taken with it.

I also didn’t love the cliffhanger at the end of this one. I kept waiting on a final reveal but it didn’t come, leaving me impatiently waiting to pick up Finlay and Vero’s story again in a third instalment.

Still one I would definitely recommend but not sure it quite lived up to the first one, though admittedly that would be hard to do!
Just as fun and delightful as book 1, I loved getting to chase around after Finlay. And she's not nearly as much of a hot mess express in this one, if that was a turnoff for anyone in Book 1 (it wasn't for me). I devoured this book in just a couple days.
Once again, Elle Cosimano has written a truly delightful book. This second Finlay Donovan novel sees Finlay scrambling to stop a hit on her ex-husband from coming to pass, and in doing so she finds herself even deeper embroiled in the schemes of hitmen and the mafia. For many of the reasons I loved book 1, I also really liked book 2. I loved seeing Finlay and Vero's interaction. The banter and relationship between the two of them was both hilarious and heartwarming at the same time. You can't help but adore Finlay as she scrambles to take care of her family, write her novel, and keep her ex-husband safe. I also have to say I came around to really liking Detective Nick as a love interest in this one. The mystery at the center of this book really does keep you guessing, and the story took quite a few twists and turns that I did not expect. It was very entertaining and I really can't wait for this one to be developed for TV. I also enjoyed seeing more of Finlay's family and how the author really captures how difficult co-parenting and getting along with an ex during a divorce can be, and the complexities of those feelings.  While I think I liked book 1 more, FINLAY DONOVAN KNOCKS 'EM DEAD was so much fun, and a super enjoyable and endearing installment in this series.
Finlay and her shenanigans just keep coming! This second in the series starts where the first left off. It immediately picks up with Finlay and Vero finding a post which indicates that someone has put out a hit for Finlay’s husband. Though estranged, Finlay is determined to keep him out of harm's way and will stop at nothing (and I mean nothing) to keep her children from being innocent bystanders. Hilarity ensues!

Though, in my opinion, not quite as amusing as the first, I did really enjoy this installment. Filled with wit and wonderfully outrageous circumstances, Finlay continues to delight and be the diverting escape the world needs!
Love the Finlay Donovan series! A fast, quirky, fun read. I highly recommend this book and look forward to reading more Elle Cosimano books!
I was approved for this one before reading the first- I tried to start this one and realized that it left off for the first one. After reading Finlay Donovan is killing it, this one seemed to make a lot more sense. The first one was a lot of fun and I loved the unique premise-and the fact that it is romance and mystery all in one makes for a fun read. Overall, this is a cute book that gives dead to me vibes where your average mom gets brought into crazy situations and has to cover it up!
I read the first book in a day, it caught my attention and kept it, I loved it! this second book thou, was a bit of a letdown, there was barely any dead bodies, barely any real plot movement. I was bored and the book just didn't do it for me.
Once again, Ms. Finlay Donovan does it again. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I may have actually liked this one just as much as the first one--which never happens! This book series is the perfect hybrid between a cozy mystery and a (soft) thriller and I'm absolutely in love! I cannot wait to continue on with the series, unraveling more mysteries as we go!
The follow-up novel in the Finlay Donovan series picks the story right up where the first book left us. Finlay is a struggling writer whose novel about a woman mistakenly hired as a professional hit woman has been a big success. She continues to be separated from her husband and struggling to know which of her possible suitors are right for her and the kids. Vero is still her accountant and housemate/sitter. The story holds true to the style of the first, where Finlay continues to check the website that is a source of information about who is looking for a hit person and why. She is snooping on the site when she sees what appears to be a request for a hit on her husband, the father of her children. She’s caught in a difficult situation because she wants him to be involved with the kids but obviously doesn’t want them to be in danger if they spend time with him. The story goes in several directions that are mostly concluded in the end. The author leaves enough hanging threads to carry on with the series in the future, while giving a satisfactory ending to this story.
My overall feeling is that I enjoyed the first book more, although this one was good as well. I found myself having to suspend belief a bit more than I would like in this second book.
#FinlayDonovanKnocksEmDead #Netgalley #StMartinsPress #Minotaur
I loved the first book so much and was so excited to continue reading about the adventures of Finley. The sequel did not disappoint! This was an easy page turner.
I love the concept of the Finlay Donovan series — a regular mom stumbles into a murder-for-hire situation and has to cover her tracks to save herself and protect her family. It's all a little bit preposterous — which is what we love — a middle-aged woman handing out cheerios, disposing of murder weapons, and also maneuvering a love triangle. While the first book really worked for me, this one got a little messy and was hard to follow.

Let's start with what I loved: Everything about Finaly's family — her meddling mother, her overprotective sister, and you can't forget her overly-secretive nanny friend. All these relationships are funny and witty and full of love. Also, similarly to the first book, it's just really funny watching Finlay trying to juggle things like "Career Day" at school, scrounging together money for the tooth fairy, and also finding a hiding place for frozen body parts.

What I didn't like: There were so many moving pieces in this story it was hard to keep up with the potential perpetrators and their motives. Also, the author really put a big sever in Finlay and Vero's friendship so they were pretty distant for most of the book. I loved how trusting and funny they were in the first book and this one was missing a lot of that because of Vero's secrets. Finally, I just don't think I can handle Finlay's decision-making anymore. I know it's supposed to be over-the-top and a little crazy, but she drives me crazy and I just can't put myself through that anymore. Like, my heart is beating faster just thinking about some of the decisions she made. Unfortunately, I probably won't be reading anymore of this series. Rating: 2.5/5 stars
Well Finlay Donovan has done it again, and I loved getting caught up in her antics. It's over-the-top and unbelievable and fun to read.  There were a few twists I didn't see coming. It was entertaining and I look forward to the next chapter in Finlay and Vero's friendship.  In this book, it struck me that Finlay Donovan and Stephanie Plum (Janet Evanovich) are birds of a feather with Finlay being the slightly more cool hot mess soccer mom contemporary. A great zany, lighthearted mystery/thriller.