Cover Image: Da Broad Squad

Da Broad Squad

Pub Date:   |   Archive Date:

Member Reviews

I was waiting for a follow up to the author’s previous book and finally it’s here. It doesn’t start out as interesting as the first but once Sarges daughter comes it moves along nicely. The characters including Boss Nurse are great. The set up of a working police station within a ‘fake station’ which serves as a reminder of being on the job for ‘the geezers’ is amazing. 
You won’t regret the read 
Thank you netgalley and the publisher for this arc
Was this review helpful?
I was attracted by the blurb and it's engrossing but the plot didn't keep my attention and fell flat.
Not my cup of tea.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
Was this review helpful?
The crime element in this story is based on human trafficking and the failure of social services to protect children, a pretty dark backdrop for a humorous cop story.  I gave a brief laugh once.  I saw the elements meant to be funny, but you'd have to suspend all credulity to find it actually funny and the same elements are repeated over and over (such as bare bottoms, wrinkly or diaper covered).  When was the last time you were in a retirement home and hospital gowns were required unless in the end stages of care in the separate wing?  

For people who are turned off by crudeness, this isn't the book for you.  Bodily noises and human waste references abound.  The characters are in no way politically correct.  And really, what happens in Brittany's house at the end?  Someone has to clean that up!!! Why would anyone do that?!?

Besides the supposed attempts at humor being repeated, I found the author had characters repeating things they'd said before as well.  The story needed to be tightened up and I thought it was almost over at 31%.  While there were new threads introduced and developed in the remaining 69% I wished the whole thing had been shorter.

I did like the variety of characters and the zoo scene was quite original, so I'm giving it an OK rating.  Found out I have the first book from Amazon (this one was from Netgalley in exchange for my honest review), but my experience with Da Broad Squad wasn't so great I want to rush into another set in the same series, but I will probably give it a go when I'm looking for something a little different.
Was this review helpful?
Cringeworthy title aside the book was quite endearing and a lot of fun.
I read the author’s previous book The Senile Squad and this is similar but with the inclusion of a couple of “broads”. The story is about the residents of the Old Blues Retirement Home which is a care facility for former police  officers (old Blues) in Omaha, Nebraska. The place is called the Precinct and is set up like, well, a precinct. The staff thinks it is good for the cold timers to pretend they are still useful but the old blues have everyone fooled as they really do still fight crime the old fashioned way. 

They have an insider in the the actual police department, Jake who is the public information officer for the Chief of Police so is across a lot of real police work. Under the building they have their resident geek, Thane, who is a whiz at surveillance gadgetry and there are also a couple of guys who are like James Bond’s Q - they hide tasers in walkers and capsicum spray in walking sticks and so on. So the troops are not completely helpless when out on a mission. 

In this story they assist in the rescue of a bunch of young women destined for sex trafficking in Eastern Europe. One of them is Amanda, the granddaughter of Lead Officer Agnes Crantz, one of the new female residents. The old blues vow to take down the whole network so more young women don’t get ensnared. But this is quite a dangerous mission and the oldies get up to all sorts in their determination to stop the bad guys. And these bad guys, the Armenian cartel, are as vicious as they come. 

If you fancy a lighthearted, heartwarming story with a few laughs you could do worse than picking up this one. I quite like the idea (being somewhat no longer quite youthful myself) of older folks still being able to make a difference. The old blues are a tough old bunch and don’t shy away from a challenge. In fact they seem to positively relish it. Is the portrayal accurate? I don’t know, I’m not quite that old yet. But the author did work as a police officer in the Omaha Police Department so I’m guessing it’s not totally off the mark. Anyway I did enjoy reading this one. My thanks to the author for a complimentary copy of the book via Netgalley which I reviewed voluntarily and honestly.
Was this review helpful?