Cover Image: The Smuggler's Girl

The Smuggler's Girl

This book is set during the time where smugglers ruled the Cornish coastline. They not only stole the loot from shipwrecks they actually lured these ships to crash onto the rocks and murdered any crew left alive. Money and power was everything to them.

Godfrey Pendinnick was a smuggler living at Polruan house which he inherited from another smuggler.
He was ruthless and ruled his band of men with threat of death. His daughter Cecile lived with him along with her aunt. Cecile's life was one of being cosseted and watched over and not allowed to have friends. Her aunt saw to it that she had a lonely  life.
Cecile is in love with someone her father wouldn't approve of and she has to do something before she is married off to a man of her aunt's choosing.

Lise lives in St Ives in a small dwelling with Annie who has looked after her since her mother died. Lise loves her life. Able to wander to her hearts content, her hair blowing free not like some of the well to do people who are obliged to wear wigs and corsets.  As much as she loves Annie Lise misses her mother and having her own family and longs for someone special  to love her.  One day she meets Zache and feels an instant connection . Could this lead to live or just a whole load of trouble.

As always an absorbing read from Jennie  Felton who I'm  sure must be new Catherine Cookson.
This book is set in earlier times than her others but it still has the themes of  family trials and tribulations running through it.
The middle class women must have hard a hard time having to wear heavy wigs and corsets and hooped dresses even at home. The men had their powdered wigs and by the descriptions it seemed they didn't smell that good. I much preferred  the lifestyle that Lise had..

Two compelling love stories, trickery and plotting  and one wicked dangerous women all make for this book to be the page turner  that it is.
If you enjoy books by Rosie Goodwin, Dilly Court or Catherine Cookson then you will love any of Jennie Felton's books.
A beautifully descriptive work. Not my usual genre but made a pleasant change. Sometimes it is good to go out of your comfort zone.
A new author for me, and I loved this book, Cornish shipwrecks, and family drama add to the romance in this novel which really gets the reader’s emotions involved.
Absolutely love Jennie Felton and have read all her books. This one didn’t disappoint and loved it from page one. Lovely story of love and bringing two people together.
Thank you NetGalley for the early read.
Another wonderfully written atmospheric book by Jennie Felton, I love books that draw you into the story and you travel along with the characters. Excellent book 5*
Firstly thank you Netfalley for giving me the opportunity to read this ARC. If you love family sagas you will love this book. Brilliant book brilliant author
The Smugglers Girl by Jennie Felton

This is a story of Cecile , who lives with her father and aunt In Polruan House after the death of her mother . She has had a good life , and now of age her father wants her wedded off well.
However Cecile has set her sights on someone else, Sam who works as a coaching and is not seen as a good match for her.
The story carries on with their plans to get what they both want , by the most unusual of ways.
It has all you want from this type of story . I've not read a book by Jennie Felton before, but if you enjoy Dilly Court ,  or Rosie Goodwin , this one will be right up your street.