Cover Image: The Bookbinder's Daughter

The Bookbinder's Daughter

'The Bookbinder's Daughter': 4⭐

(Unpaid Review: thank you to @netgalley, @jessicathorneauthor and the publishers for allowing me to read this eArc copy in exchange for a review.)

What could you not possibly love about this book? Magical library ✔️ Whimsical atmosphere ✔️ romance ✔️ cover ✔️ the plot and subplot ✔️

This book was such a pleasant surprise! I really loved how the author created this new soft magic system, which we love to read about! Congrats on your new book!
Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.

3.5 Stars
A book written to celebrate the love of libraries, we all book lovers like this kind of stories where there is an exceptional library and a magical haven for books and for us, it is our dream to find one and to live many fantastic adventures within it. Libraries are our wonderlands and that's the idea the author might intended to transmit through her book.

The story is about Sophie (My favorite name for Heroines) who got offered from her uncle a job of a bookbinder at the Ayeredale Library  where her mother disappeared mysteriously. Now, after her father's death and the end of a toxic relationship, she sees it as a good opportunity to discover the truth but what she doesn't know is that there will be so many mysteries to unravel and hidden secrets about her family's past and the library.

Now, it was interesting all this captivating worldbuilding relating to the tree of knowledge and the incorporation of metaphysics to the fantastical aspect of the story making it looks more smart and complex for the reader but it might not be appealing to everyone.
For the characters, they needed to be more developed and for this the author could have wrote a duology for this plot or another 100 pages, it really needed more space for the story and the characters background's development, it felt really rushed and like "I have to put everything in this one book". Also, I liked Will's  sensibility and Tia's personality who even with the villains of the book needed to be really more developed.

I really liked the author's writing style which made me interested in reading her other books.
A magical library full of books and secrets is a perfect lure for reading addicts like me. The Book Binder's Daughter is that perfect lure. Sophie who has no memories of her mother keeps dreaming the same dream for years but never gets any answers from her father. Suddenly she gets an opportunity to find out exactly that and her mother's secrets. What happens in this mysterious library and how Sophie is connected to this place is the story of this novel.
The author has weaved a wonderful story of connecting the present library to the ancient libraries of the world and their reasons of destruction. The story is confusing at the beginning but as the story evolves things starts getting a little clearer. I really loved the book though I wish Sophie's character would have been developed a bit more. I wish there was a real library like Ayredale :)
The Bookbinder's Daughter by Jessica Thorne

Narrated by: Charlie Norfolk Length: 10 hrs and 34 mins

This is the first book I have read by Jessica Thorne and I can highly recommend it. This book was a wow! It was beautifully written from start to finish, it was a wonderful and so magical read. I loved it especially as I had a chance to listen to the audio as well Charlie Norfolk was perfect for this beautiful audiobook.

I will be looking out for this author in the future........Perfect in every way. Thank you guys x

Big 5 Stars from me

Big Thank you NetGalley, Bookouture, and Bookouture Audio! for a digital and audio book copy in exchange for an honest review.
This book is about a mysterious library, surrounded by mysterious people. Sophie lived there as a kid but left and lost her memories. After the death of her dad, she receives a letter that somehow will help her understand what’s been missing in her life.

The characters are bland and could have been much more developed. It is even more disappointing when you finally learn more about the magic of this library and the different powers everyone has to deal with at the end of the book.

I think there was a lack of description and the plot was not carried out with enough intensity even though powerful forces were discovered as the book progressed
This ended up being a thoroughly enjoyable book for me. I enjoyed the protagonists and the tender and familial angle of the plot. while my interest was never fully captured by the mystery until halfway through, I think the author has huge potential, and I look forward to trying another book by them in the future. In the meantime, I'll be recommending me this as a perfect autumn read.
I LOVE stories that are set in a library (if you read this check out The Invisible Library by Genevieve Cogman).
At first, I was a bit put off by the writing, but then I saw that this was an uncorrected ARC, so I just ignored that.

I'd recommend this book to everyone who loves reading and being surrounded by books! A super exciting story set in a magical library.
I was attracted by the description, always hooked if a library is involved and a page turning read - certainly perfect for a holiday.
Sophie is a archival bookbinder following in her parents footsteps.  Following the mysterious disapearance of her mother at her one time home in Ayredale Library, Sophie is taken away by her father who wants to erase all memory of Ayredale from Sophies memory.  He is in the main successful but this leaves Sophie haunted by fragments of memory which seep into her dreams.
When we meet Sophie she is in a controlling and passively abusive relationship with Victor.  However after intervention by her uncle Sophie is offered a prestigious role at her old home of Ayredale library.  This breaks her relationship with Victor and allows her the much needed opportunity to investigate her mother and pick up threads of her old life, including her teen crush Will.
I enjoyed the mystrey elements and the author goes down a different library mythos route linking in Chaos, creativity with the symbol of the tree of knowledge.
Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for access to the ARC all views are my own.
This is an interesting book and a great novel for anyone who loves magic and magical libraries!  It is very engaging and I liked the romantic story arc - there is a bit of a love triangle going on, which made me eager to see the protagonist get the good guy..  While I was reading it the book certainly kept my attention, but I'm not convinced that the characters and plot were that memorable to be honest. Still, it's a nice magical read for any bookworm on a dull, rainy day.
It’s ok. Loved that it was about and set in a special library.  That’s what really drew me to this book.  The characters were ok, couldn’t quite get into rooting for Sophie and Will. I just wanted Arthur and Victor to fail. And I was curious enough to continue till the end.

Thanks Bookouture and NetGalley for this arc!
This was a pretty good read, however I found it easy to put down and leave. The storyline was easy to follow. I feel this book would be more suited for young adults who enjoy fantasy type novels.
Sophie grew up remembering little about her mother or her past, and her father kept them isolated from her mother's family, so she was surprised after her father's death by the invitation to the Ayredale Library by her uncle. But the Library and her connection to it are not the usual at all, it speaks to her and draws her in strange ways, in dreams and in languages only she can read. Others at the library are out of the ordinary, and some she remembers dimly from her childhood, and some she knows she should remember but does not. At the same time outside forces without her or the Library's best interests in mind are gathering and stupid decisions are being made.
A lovely, magical story about memory and family and the spark of creativity.  Similar in feel to Erin Morgenstern's Night Circus and Starless Sea.  Things went pretty wild towards the end, but it all came together finally - whew.  Highly recommended.
I received this book for free for an honest review from netgalley #netgalley

Awesome book I was on the edge of my seat.
*Received an ARC from Bookouture via Netgalley  in exchange of an honest review.*

I enjoyed the concept of the story quite a lot. I love reading books that are set in libraries or about libraries/bookstores. It brings me so much comfort. With this book there's the bonus of magic thrown into the mix. I found "The Tree" quite an interesting concept.

There were some parts of the text that repeated itself multiple times throughout the book which didn't feel right with the flow of the story. For that reason I gave it 4 stars but I would still recommend it.
When I started reading this I got this dark historical feeling from this books. It confused me when they were having phones on them and all that.

I did really enjoy this book. It’s been a while since I read a book about a magical library and this was a good one. It was well written and lovely described. You could almost feel like you were there with the characters.
The Book Binder’s daughter is an interesting tale of a woman just getting out of a bad relationship, heading to the magical place she left when her mother was mysteriously killed. She has forgotten so much about her childhood there but it is all about to start come crashing back to her in unexpected ways.

The Ayredale Library is one of a kind. It houses a fantastic collection of rare books unlike any else in the world, the people who work there are quite unique and there is a magic tree just growing behind an arched door. When Sophie remembers more of her past and reconnects with her first love as well as the people in the library, she starts to remember more about the magical world she left behind and her place in it.

The ideas in this book are really good. I like the concept of the library and a goddess bound to it along with families that have looked after it for years. Sophie herself is someone you really like and want to protect. She has been through a lot and you can tell that all she has ever wanted is to be loved. She has some emotional scars coming out of an abusive relationship and sometimes it is hard since she just doesn’t trust herself. But I rooted for her the entire time hoping she would find the courage she needed to become the woman she was supposed to be.

I enjoyed the story but felt like it had much more potential than what was shown. The ideas of the world were really fantastic and could have been built out a little more.
As a reader I absolutly love reading about Magical Libraries and when I saw that the author was Jessica Thorne I just had to read this book.

Good points about this book;

* the library without any doubt. I loved how it became its own character throughout the story.
* the writing. I love Jessica Thornes writing. She makes the world she creates really come to life!
* the fast pace story. As a reader you are truelly hooked from the very first sentence.

Bad points about this book:
* its very stereotype, especially the characters. I love morally grey characters, but in this book everybody is either black or with. No in between.
* the ending... welll that is were the story really fell flat.
Thank you Netgalley for the ARC. I was interested in this book because of the description. I liked it. well enough. I thought it was a good story though at times it got a little confusing. The imagery was beautiful. There were a lot of characters which can get confusing but I think the author did an ok job keeping them separate. I wish there had been more back story for them. At times it got a little tense with the controlling of the main character.
“She was chaos and wildness, and all the madness of creation.”

Sophie is stuck. She can’t move on from the mysterious circumstances that took her mother from her fifteen years ago, left with a distant and recently deceased father and all-consuming dreams of a mysterious tree, all her questions remain unanswered. Add that to a controlling boyfriend and a lack of any real friends, Sophie gets by through her love of bookbinding, putting all her care and love into her work. Yet, when a mysterious letter appears that invites her back to the Ayredale Library, the place where it all started and home of the largest collection of antique collectable books, Sophie might finally get the answers she’s been craving for so long. The library is alive with history, mystery and colourful figures from her past and Sophie will have to navigate the lies and secrecy to discover the truth.

There was a lot to like about this book, it had a great pace with action, conflict and reveals that kept you reading to get to the heart of the library and its secrets. I really enjoyed the various twist and turns. Thorne can also be seen to have woven in well-researched areas of history, linking in myths, religious aspects and famous libraries, as well as bookbinding and the care of books. This made it feel that much more vivid.

However, it could have been so much more. It often felt rushed with characters and settings that I wished we could have explored more. The library constantly had little hints dropped about its unpredictable nature and almost haunting spiritual awareness but, actually, like a lot of the book, I felt told this rather than shown it. There was no real atmosphere to the book and the characters, whilst colourful, felt lacking in depth. I also think it really missed a trick in creating a found family, all the platonic relationships were stilted and strained. This meant I felt less invested in the character arcs.

Ironically, this was the opposite for Sophie, she was one of the few more developed characters with a sweet and well written romantic relationship that grows over the book, but unfortunately, I found her personal transformation throughout the book lacking. I really feel like she could have embraced herself and really come into her own person more. The ending didn’t make as much impact without it. Although I still enjoyed where the plot took us and how it ended.
I loved this book. Sophie is a bookbinder and works with rare books, she is still bereaved over the death of her father and plagued by dreams of her childhood where she had happy memories when her parents worked at Ayredale Library as bookbinders with the rare book collection. Sophie’s uncle offers her a job at Ayredale Library working with the rare books.
 It was about special libraries, magic and fantasy with a sprinkle of romance and family secrets. I loved the interactions between the characters. The descriptions of some of the rare books were captivating.
This was fast paced and full of action.