Cover Image: Silent Island (Detective Abby Pearce Book 2)

Silent Island (Detective Abby Pearce Book 2)

After solving the events in the first book, Detective Abby Pearce wants nothing more than to finally enjoy the slow and steady pace of her home island of Martha's Vineyard. Her hope proves fruitless when she is called to solve another crime at a luxury home rental resort The Beach House-- the brutal massacre of the entire Lavelle family consisting of parents Thomas and Nancy Lavelle and three of their children. The only survivor is their eldest 15 year old daughter Karin who appears to be shell shocked but the girl's identity is soon called into question when her grandparents claim she is not the real Karin. The pressure is on for Abby and her partner Tessa to solve both the murders and kidnapping asap which proves trickier with every clue they unearth; especially when Abby begins to suspect that both the adult victims and events leading up to the murder are somehow connected to her previous job as an NYPD officer.

The pace of this book, like the previous one, is very fast! Even with 66 chapters, the story moves at supersonic speed and it took me less than a day to finish this. I like how the author doesn't waste time or drag the plotline.. the action starts from page one and doesn't stop till the end of the last page.

My thanks to NetGalley, the publisher Bookouture and the author Dana Perry for the e-Arc of the book.
The second in this series and another great book
Brilliant storyline
Full of twists and turns
Can’t wait for the next book
Silent Island by Dana Perry is the second book of her Detective Abby Pearce book series. As the name suggests,  this series focuses on Detective Pearce as the central character and her time with the local police of the resort island called Martha's Vineyard, where she has relocated to after having served in the NYPD for many years.

I haven't read the first book in the series and so,  going into it I didn't know anything about this character nor the previous story. I was still able to follow the story though, as the author has made very little reference to the previous book's case.  The character of Detective Pearce has been fairly well-written with the usual motifs we find in any police procedural story - only it is a woman rather than a man who is facing all these issues and that was a refreshing change.  She has a lot of past baggage that she is dealing with and also a drinking problem that she is trying to come out of.

On top of all this, there is a major massacre which happens in one of the prime hotels, that baffles the police as to why it happened. Detective Pearce is left to spearhead the investigation as she is the only person in the team who has actual experience in handling cases like this. What the Detective does and how she manages to solve the case is the story.

The author has done a good job in creating the mystery and thrilling aspects of the story in the initial chapters.  Sadly, she was not able to sustain it very well in the latter part of the story; or atleast I felt so. I could guess who is the perpetrator about half way through the book. In fact, I was getting frustrated that a so-called-experienced cop is not able to figure out what other reason a person might have to be driven to kill all the victims. That destroyed the actual intrigue about 3/4th of the book. But otherwise,  I very much liked the mood of the book and the flowy, light narrative. It is a fairly engaging book and worth 4 stars out of 5 according to me.

Thanks to the author,  Netgalley and the publisher for the ARC provided in exchange for my honest review.
An eminent doctor and his family are brutally murdered with the exception of his eldest daughter. Abby Pearce leads the investigation, racing against time to uncover the killer and find the missing girl...
Silent Island is the second book to feature Abby as she adjusts to live away from New York. I have previously reviewed the first book in the series, Her Ocean Grave. However, this book could be read as a stand alone novel as there are no major spoilers about the crime in the previous book.
Abby is still haunted by the death of her former partner in New York. Her drinking is under control but her love life has stalled. She locks horns with her boss but has positive relationships with others in her team.
The book is written from Abby's first person perspective so we view her internal struggles as well as follow the clues to catch the killer. We see her determination and dedication at work, whilst also seeing the personal side of her life which reveals her vulnerability.
The case itself appears straight forward at first but when Abby realises the daughter of the murdered family is missing, it adds a tension to the plot. Motive is key to these murders and Abby puts herself at risk when she decides that there may be a mob connection.
Silent Island is an enjoyable crime thriller novel and the lead detective Abby is carefully constructed to be flawed but easy to like.
Detective Abby Pearce's desire for a slower pace after leaving NYPD remains out of reach as murder strikes her island. This time, an entire family, except for one daughter, has been murdered in their summer rental property. With the surviving teenage daughter missing, another young girl is discovered in the midst of the carnage. She seems to be suffering from amnesia with no idea who she is or what happened. Abby suspects there's more to the scene than what is on the surface. As she tries to solve the murders and locate the missing girl, she uncovers more twist and turns than a roller coaster. It's a great second installment of the Abby Pearce series. I look forward to the next one.
Love this author. Love this series. This book is just SO good. It has everything. Suspense. Thrills. Twists. It is just wow.
Complex and fast-paced crime thriller set on tony Martha's Vineyard.

Detective Abby Pearce with Cedar Cliffs Police Department is stunned when she is summoned to the Beach House holiday resort to discover that an entire family has been stabbed to death. Parents and children lie in pools of blood behind the entry door. But wait -- there is a survivor among the carnage -- the Lavelle's oldest daughter, 15-year-old Karin, is nearly catatonic and mute. She is hustled off to the hospital and when her maternal grandparents arrive, everyone is shocked to discover that this girl is not Karin. So where is Karin and who is this substitute daughter left alive?

Abby and her partner, Teena Morelli, the only other detective on the small force, are immediately caught up in an investigation that makes less sense as the days wear on. As they follow one tenuous lead after another, it seems that all clues point to New York City and Abby's former job at the NYPD. No spoilers.

This was the first book I read featuring Abby Pearce, and even though it is the second in series, there were enough details of the backstory that I had no problem enjoying this one. I'd definitely like to continue reading future installments. I liked the character of Abby, struggling with solitude and alcoholism, past regrets, and returning home to the island where she grew up. The complicated and twisty murder mystery was engaging and it took me awhile to guess the outcome with all the red herrings.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture for this e-book ARC to read, review and recommend.
I am on the hunt for the first book in the series.  I enjoyed my time with this novel and immediately added the first one to my TBR.  Enjoyable characters and well written
After contacting Covid and being really poorly, unable to concentrate on my books, I'm finally able to say, I have finished Silent Island and I loved it.  Reading about children being killed is always heartbreaking, but Det. Abby Pearce has her work cut out for her in this novel.  Abby is a strong woman who had had to be teamed up with her colleague Teena once again.  The two women leave no stone unturned......
This is the second book in the aeries about Detective Abby Pearce. I haven’t read the first one but had no problems following the story along. Sadly I have to say, that I didn’t really care much about the main character Abby. I can’t pinpoint exactly why though. Maybe it’s because the constant talk about alcohol or that she doesn’t grow over the course of the story.
This is the second book in the Abby Pearce series. I haven't read the first one unfortunately, but that didn't matter when reading this.
Abby Pearce has moved back to her home town, Martha's Vineyard, which is an island. It is meant to be a slower paced life for her as a homicide detective on an island instead of the busy city of New York.
An entire family who have come on holiday, is found murdered with one girl left alive at the scene. This is only the beginning, more murders happen and Abby soon realises there are connections to them all and even a connection to herself. Is her life now endanger?
I really enjoyed reading this book and I will give the first book a read sometime. I loved the twist and turns throughout and found it kept me gripped.
It's a riveting and entertaining story, fast paced and full of twist. A gritty and complex crime thriller that kept me turning pages and surprised me till the end.
I love Abby, a clever and complex character, and liked the storytelling but something felt off and I didn't fell in love with the story.
I think it's one of those "me-not-the-book" cases, maybe I need to read some other type of stories to avoid comparisons and a sort of "need a happy detective character" syndrome.
My personal problem apart, it's a good story that I recommend.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
Abby has come back to sleepy Martha's Vineyard after a high-profile career at the NYPD, except that Martha's Vineyard isn't all that sleepy anymore.

An entire family is murdered, other than a teenage girl who is in shock. Why did this happen and are there things in the father's past which could provide some answers?

There are plenty of twists and turns in this book and it is interesting to try and figure out the who/why/what of the case.

4 stars from me.

Thank you to NetGalley and Bookouture.
When Detective Abby Pearce is called to Martha's Vineyard, what she finds is staggering. A man, his wife and 3 children have been murdered in a knife attack. There is only one survivor ... the couple's 15-year-old daughter.

The girl is rushed to the hospital, only to find that she hasn't been injured, although she appears to be in a state of shock. The girl's grandparents are called ... and there awaits another bewildering puzzle ... the grandparents don't know who this girl is. She is certainly not their grand-daughter.

So who is she? And where is the real grand-daughter?

Well written, the plot is riveting, the story line intriguing. Characters are fully developed. There are many twists and turns guaranteed to keep the pages rapidly turning. The conclusion was unexpected. Although 2nd in the series, this is easily read as a stand-alone. I do recommend, however, reading the books in order as it is a compelling series.

Many thanks to the author / Bookouture / Netgalley for the digital copy of this crime fiction/police procedural. Read and reviewed voluntarily, opinions expressed here are unbiased and entirely my own.
A great edge of your seat, who can you trust kind of thriller. It's definitely a page turner, keeps you wanting more. It's #2 in the series, but I hadn't read #1, and it wasn't an issue - obviously if you've read it, you connect to different characters, but if you haven't, you are not disadvantaged in any way. Thanks to NetGalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
Fast paced detective mystery series I highly recommend!
I loved the first book in the Detective Abby Pearce series “Her Ocean Grave” and was not disappointed with “Silent Island.”  I am looking  forward to the next book in the series!
Definitely a intriguing, twisty mystery thriller that makes you wonder what the heck is going on…….with a surprising ending that will surprise you.
Many thanks to NetGalley, Bookouture and author, Dana Perry, for the opportunity to read this book for my honest opinion.  All opinions expressed are my own.
This book was a great read. When a family has been found bruttally murdered in an affluent part called Martha's Vineyard Detective Abby Pierce is determined to find the killer or killers. Only one member of the family was spared or so they thought. Who was the girl, she wasn't talking and the grandparents said that it wasn't their grand daughter.
When they eventually did find out who she was there worst nightmare was about to begin.
I found this a fast paced book and just couldn't put it down.
It was just this summer that I reviewed Her Ocean Grave so I was excited to get another Abby Pearce book so soon. As with the first in the series, what I liked the most was Abby herself. Besides the alcoholism, which seems to be prevalent in most cop books, the author has done a good job creating a character that is not stereotypical. She is likeable and kind but also doesn’t shrink away from a difficult investigation.

This was certainly a difficult investigation! I had no idea how this one was going to play out. However, when the mystery was unravelled, I could appreciate how well-thought out and logical it was. The story was also fast paced so not much time has to pass at all before a piece of juicy information is released.

Silent Island is also one of few police books where I didn’t mind the delve into the main character’s personal life. And you have just to see how the author twists Abby’s past and present together to make something really exciting!
Abby Pearce is not quite likable, nor is she really dislikable, but she is a bit enthralled with her celebrity like super cop crime-buster status which dates to when she was a detective with the NYPD. She carries a lot of baggage not least that she is a drink away from being a full fledged alcoholic which the reader is reminded on every other page. A reminder of this character flaw once or twice might have been necessary but the excessive repetition was annoying.

Returning to her hometown on Martha’s Vineyard and joining the local police force after a near career blow-up in NY she snags a multiple homicide. It turns into a sh**storm and quickly becomes evident that nothing is getting solved quickly. Pearce is free and loose of her criticism of her Chief and I kept wondering what he thought of her.  Her investigative skills, while methodical in searching out the killer, seems to leave her wanting and left-footed in more personal situations. Much like the protagonist I have read better and worse police procedurals.

This was a quick read with many twists and turns. Thank you NetGalley and Bookoutre for a copy.
Thank you to Bookouture for my copy of this book via Netgalley and for letting me take part in this tour. This is the second book in the series but both could be read as standalones.

I like the way this book is written in the past tense. A lot of books are written in the present tense but having the book written in the past tense gives a different feel. Like this is a journal entry or a newspaper article. It was a nice change.

Abby Pearce is a great detective. She is a flawed but likeable character. Abby's alcoholism has caused a lot of problems for her but the reason for the alcoholism really humanises Abby. She has had a traumatic life and I just want something to go right for her.

The case, at first, seemed a very strange one. I could not understand why someone would want to so brutally kill those young children. I had two suspects in mind for quite a few chapters before Dana revealed the killer.

The pace in this book was a little slower than some crime books. Dana slowly builds the tension until without realising it you are frantically turning page after page! I liked the short chapters as it's easy to convince yourself you can do one more every single time!

I really enjoyed this book and I cannot wait to see what Dana brings next!