Cover Image: A Deadly Endowment

A Deadly Endowment

1920s, class-consciousness, murder, murder-investigation, country-house, cosy-mystery, family, family-dynamics, friendship, law-enforcement, England, historical-novel, historical-research, amateur-sleuth,  Cotswolds, secrets, false-information*****

It was such a good plan. Allow local tourists to tour the grounds and parts of the manor house to gain a small infusion of much needed cash. Who knew it could all go so horribly wrong? Enter the first murder, lazy policing, sleuthing by Lady and her friend/maid, and a whole lot more.
It is a well formulated story with many fascinating, if exasperating, characters and excellent world building. A nice easy read, I loved it!
I requested and received a free ebook copy from Kensington Books via NetGalley. Thank you!
What a fun, exciting story! I enjoyed the characters and the story line. The story flowed nicely and it had me reading until the end in a day! I highly recommend this book!

Thank you for letting me review this book!
#Review for#A Deadly Endowment
By: I Love to Read

The murder of a historical society member shocks everyone attending the first open house at Foxwood Hall. The open house was a ploy to secure extra funds to help maintain the estate after the end of World War 1. Suspects abound among the attendees at the open house. However, not enough evidence warrants an arrest. Lady Phoebe and her lady's maid, Eva, set out to find the killer. Both Lady Phoebe and Eva are charming characters. They proceed in true cozy fashion questioning suspects. Eventually, the mystery is satisfactorily solved after chasing many red herrings. My one criticism of the book is the time period. It did not ring true like the ending of World War 1, but read more like the Victorian era, despite the often mention of the Vauxhall automobile. Despite that a pleasant read.
Thank you NetGalley and Kensington for the opportunity to read this advance copy in exchange for an honest opinion.
"A Deadly Endowment" is the seventh in the A Lady and Lady's Maid series. I had not read any of the series, but I enjoyed this latest installment. "A Deadly Endowment" is a true cozy...amateur detectives, manor house, lots of red herrings, not much violence, etc. I particularly liked that our detectives--Lady Phoebe and her lady's maid Eva--are equal in their abilities.

This book takes place after World War I, and Phoebe has decided that her home, Foxwood Hall, should open for tours to generate some income. Of course, things go hideously wrong on the first public tour when one of the guests is found murdered. There are a host of possible culprits, but what could the motive be?

There was a  side plot involving Phoebe's sister Julia that I probably would have enjoyed more if I had read the earlier books. This is a light, quick read, not particularly original but fun.
Another charming mystery by Alyssa Maxwell. Lady Phoebe and her maid Eva are attempting to raise money for the estate by conducting house tours. Unfortunately, having a guest murdered on your first tour is not good for business. As always the two are determined to solve the case. A wonderful read!
Lady Phoebe Renshaw has convinced her grandparents to open up Foxwood Hall for guided tours to generate income to support the estate. The first tour group, a practice run,  consists of local students, members of the Historical Society and a magazine writer. Lady Phoebe, her sister Amelia and her maid Eva find it is not an easy task to keep members of the tour from wandering off.
Unfortunately, while searching for a missing Historical Society member, her body is discovered in the library.
Lady Phoebe and Eva investigate who would want the woman dead and whether a missing photo holds the key. Does the photo contain a secret about the Renshaw family? As the investigation proceeds, connections between the Historical Society members are uncovered providing a reason for murder.
Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC.
The seventh book in the series, A Deadly Endowment.  I've read all books in the series and this one was one of my favorites.  The mystery takes place in their home during a tour.  Miles is in this story but Owen is completely missing.  The Julia character is my favorite and I'm so happy how her story has come along!  I would highly recommend this series: the setting is fabulous, the writing is superb, and the characters are very likeable.  Looking forward to the next in the series, and hoping for some forward movement in the Owen and Miles story lines.
I really enjoyed another series by Alyssa Maxwell, it's what prompted me to request this novel, yet I just couldn't really get into it. Something just didn't gel for me, and the ending seemed rather abrupt.

Lady's maid, Eva, is a delightful character and I enjoyed the exploration of her romance alongside the key plot. Most endearing. The mystery around the sister's rather strange and disconcerting behaviour was also intriguing.

With my thanks to #Netgalley, Kensington Books and the author for my advance reader copy in exchange for an honest review
An Atmospheric Entry…
Foxwood Hall is opened up to the public for tours - after all Lady Renshaw and maid Eva have to make ends meet. However, not everybody is happy with this arrangement but would they resort to murder? An atmospheric entry in this long running series and an entertaining mystery within together with a solid sense of time and place.
A Deadly Endowment by Alyssa Maxwell
The reason why I wanted to read this book is because of past works by the author based in Newport, RI where I live near.
This book starts out with other works by the author, dedication page and acknowledges pages.
Story starts in 1921 Cotswolds, England in a mansion and the sisters live there with their grandparents. Julia has her own baby and she has money enough to live on.
The girls come up with a scheme to make money from things others have done-allowing a tour of the house.
They have the plan in place and their grandfather wants to give them a chance. The grandmother is not so open to the idea but sets rules-no one upstairs.
The very first tour starts off with a busload of kids and their teacher.  One woman gives the tour and answers questions and she often has to ask another sister to go find one who wandered off.  That happens often and I enjoy learning about the history of the mansion during the tour. Like how they interact with the guests, most from the local historic society.
A missing woman is found.... Miles is one of the local cops that has been dating one of them. Everybody is questioned and the girls take it upon themselves to also accumulate clues.
Man in question is actually the murdered mothers son, he's got a lot to gain monetarily and the estate.  Others who attended were quite suspicious also, magazine reporters and authors and they wanted to wander into other  rooms not on the tour.
A break in and only a photo was stolen...A hidden treasure and another murder...
Love the politeness and manners.
Some visit the suspects at their house and even have tea and sweets.  The women compare notes and also have warned others that the one the cops were holding has been released so real killer is on the loose.
Very detailed descriptions of not only the houses but the gardens and the clothes they wear.
Never thought that it was the person who murdered others. Also treasure, wow where it was found.
Can't wait to read more from this author. Lots of action, adventure, mysteries, murders, clues home life and travel.
I received this review book from Kensington Books via Net Galley and this is my honest opinion.
 #ADeadlyEndowment #NetGalley.
I am a great fan of period mysteries and have enjoyed other novels by this author. But, i felt something was missing from this title.

The period setting was just that.. . A backdrop for the story and characters, but I never felt truly transported into a grand estate in post WW1 Great Britain.  And, our intrepid heroine had plenty of pluck, but never really came to life for me.  I felt like this book had all the elements laid out for  a fun, light read, but somehow just ended up too formulaic to be interesting.

Netgalley provided me a complimentary copy of this title in exchange for a candid review.
This book starts off with Phoebe’s grandparents opening their home for visitors to bring in some money to help the estate (similar to a plot in one episode of Downton Abbey). During the first tour, of course things go badly when there’s a visitor who was killed, by strangulation with a drapery cord.

The story takes off from there, with plenty of suspects, stories of a hidden treasure, and the usual team of Phoebe and Eva being smarter than just about everyone else since they’re able to solve this murder.

I’m still not sure how on earth Phoebe is Lady Phoebe, since she’s the granddaughter of an earl, her brother is a viscount who will be the earl someday, so I’m assuming Phoebe’s father was a viscount which means she absolutely would not be Lady Phoebe. But other than that pesky, kind of annoying detail, I thought the author did pretty well with historical details about the changes the 1920s are brining to the British upper crust.
Well written mystery with well developed characters.  This installment continues the excellent series.  Plot moves smoothly and keeps the reader engaged. Love this series! Thanks #netgalley and #Keningston for the eARC in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are mine.
I love this series and it is one of my must reads This time Lady Phoebe Renshaw and her lady's maid Eva are hosting tours of the family home to raise funds. Of course, someone is murdered on the first tour! There are plenty of motives and an old rumor of a treasure hidden by her great-grandfather. What is the true motive - an unfinished manuscript, a case of embezzlement at the local historical society, or the rumor? As always, Alyssa Maxwell weaves a fascinating story and her characters are well done. I don't want to leave any spoilers, but I have to wonder how the ending will impact the Renshaw family going forward. Thank you to #NetGalley for the opportunity to read an advance copy of #ADeadlyEndowment.
A truly excellent historical mystery novel. It’s expertly written with vivid descriptions and great character development. The story and mystery itself flows from chapter to chapter keeping the reader interested and wanting to read more. It’s a wonderful addition to one of my fave series, highly recommend!!!!