Cover Image: Tag and the Magic Squeaker

Tag and the Magic Squeaker

A dog and his squeaker and they talk to each other. The out of the box illustration, they story takes more of a "fun" aspect. The squeaker comes with a surprise.

The illustrations are based on the love of discovery which will delight all kids big and small.

A special thank you to Capstone and Netgalley for the ARC and the opportunity to post an honest review.
Fun color and illustrations with an interesting plot line ! There’s a little twist at  that end that the youngest readers might not see coming, but fun for older kids to predict!
Initially I thought it was going to rhyme, but story is told without that style. In the end, an non-traditional story book !
Tag, is a wonderful spunky little dog who is in love with his squeaker ball. He chews, tosses, catches and has fun with it until it rolls under the couch. Oh my... he cannot retrieve it.  He howls and fusses and magically the ball rolls back out to him.  What???? The cynical cat who dislikes the dogs playtime with his stupid squeaker ball watches in disbelief.  Something weird is happening thinks the cat and it's not magic.  He's very suspicious and cynical of what just happened.

The reader knows how the lost ball came to life and that makes the tale all the more engaging and fun.

The illustrations are so imaginative and unique.  Sam Hundley creates them from found scrap art.  Adults will dissect them and appreciate these one-of-a-kind images.  Sam has included in the back more in-depth explanations of the pieces he uses to make his art.  He also provides a photo of Theo his beagle with his squeaker ball which is the inspiration for this delightful tale.  I love the book and highly recommend it.
This is a funny and cute book. Perfect for kids who I think will enjoy the funny story and interesting pictures. It is fairly short, but well put together. Would recommend for kids.
Happy go lucky Tag lives with a cantankerous cat, but he doesn’t let them get him down. He plays contently with his squeaker ball. One day, while playing, his squeaker ball comes to life. Where Tag sees magic, the cat just sees something odd going on.

Sam Hundley has woven a story around art made from found objects. While the story was cute, the book really inspired my seven year old to take a deeper look into making found art of her own. It’s a book we would definitely pic up at the library.

I adore the illustrations in this book! So clever and inventive. Really impressed. I thought the story itself was also fun, but sometimes the way things were worded threw me off. It just didn't come across as smoothly as I think the author wanted. Genuinely beautiful artwork though.
The art in this book is phenomenal and the characterization spot-on. Older children will enjoy trying to figure out what relics make up the parts of each animal, while also being entertained by the storytelling!
The story is sweet and silly. It uses traditional tropes of a fun-loving dog and a suspicious cat; somewhat jaded in the technique but I think kids will still enjoy it. The most challenging aspect of this book is the fact that it was written and illustrated by a scrap metal artist. The images are multidimensional scrap metal pieces, which are hard to discern when looking at the illustrations and take a minute to identify. Very young kids may find it challenging to spot the "dog," "cat" or "mouse" in this book. If you can get past that it's a fun, quick read.
Thanks to Netgalley and Capstone for a free digital copy.

An interesting style of illustration to match an interesting story. Not my favorite, but I do think kids will find it entertaining.
Tag the dog can do all kinds of things with his squeaker ball—chew it, toss it, and especially squeak it. Then one day the squeaker comes to life! Tag is delighted, but the resident cat is...

This book was so cute! I loved the illustrations and they were unlike anything I have seen before. Working with children, I have read lots of kids books and I think this is one that any young child would enjoy! The story itself was cute and easy to follow.

Thank you to Capstone, NetGalley and the author for my chance to read and review this story!
I am obsessed with the way the animals were made in this book! Pieces of metal, junk, etc. so creative! I can’t wait to read this to my child! He will get a kick out of all the different materials and shapes!
Okay, this book was really cool. The story follows a dog that loses his squeaker toy under the couch, a mouse that helps him out, and a suspicious cat. It's a simple but sweet story perfect for ages 2-5. But the coolest part is that the characters are made of scrap art of dug relics. There is some explanation in the back of the pieces used to make the art, and also a picture of Theo the beagle and his squeaker (the inspiration of the story.) Overall, totally cute and interesting kid's book that I would highly recommend. And my 3yo says he liked it a whole lot! Thanks so much to the publisher and NetGalley for the free ARC copy!
This was a fun book with interesting illustrations, the author uses found objects and photographs them for the illustrations which I thought was quite unique.  I love the Digging into Sam's Art page at the end of the book, it offers the book even more dimensions.
This is a Children's Book that I read to my twin boys. My boys loved this book so much. I really loved the pictures in this book. I felt the story was so cute, fun, and simple. My boys loved all the animals in this book. I think this book is good for pre-k to around 2nd grade. I was kindly provided an e-copy of this book by the publisher (Capstone) or author (Sam Hundley) via NetGalley, so I can give an honest review about how I feel about this book. I want to send a big Thank you to them for that. This book is schedule to be release on February 1-2022.
I love the illustrations that are made from scrap it’s great idea something different. I really enjoyed this story it was lovely. The pictures are bright and bold and there is just enough writing in the pages for young children to enjoy the story and keep entertained.
Thank you NetGalley for letting me read this book.
For the second book running this creator has used rostrum photography, with cameras pointing down to arrangements of found objects and junk to help create his images.  Help is the word, for there is certainly more digital manipulation and editing than before, to create domestic furniture and other bits of scenery.  What I think I'm hedging around is the fact the whole visual spirit seemed a little diluted by this, and I don't think this effort is as strong as "Gifts of the Magpie".  It concerns a dog who loves a battered little squeaky ball, but who gets a wonderful surprise when it rolls out of reach under the couch one day...  The blurb tells us it's a story to promote fascination and wonder, in that the dog just accepts the magical treat that follows, while the cynical cat he lives with gets blindsided, and cannot solve the mystery.  But I didn't see that moral, if moral is what it is, really reinforced by a pleasant but slight animal episode; the cat's obvious intelligence comes to nothing and I wouldn't see that as a positive.  Not bad, but really no classic – perhaps three and a half stars is about right.
The illustrations in this book are made with scrap art and it’s honestly one of the coolest children’s books I’ve ever seen. The dog, cat and mouse are all made with different parts of metal, etc. I liked that the dog was made with a dog tag, haha. Very cute! The story is fun and endearing, too! Definitely worth a read!
This was a uniquely cute story. I liked that the animals didn’t look “typical.” It was an easy read that children will find easy to follow! The storyline was also very cute.
Tag and the Magic Squeaker tells the story of Tag the dog as he plays with his favorite squeaker toy. Tag carries his squeaker with him everywhere and plays with it often. Once it rolls under the couch, the no-nonsense cat celebrates that the noisy toy is gone. What they don’t know is that the mouse is all too interested in using the squeaker for his own devices.

This book was very cute and I think children of all ages would enjoy it. The text is limited on each page, making it great for story time and young readers alike. The end of the book contains head scratchers and other questions you can work with your child to answer. It makes for a fun overall experience.

One of the most interesting parts of this book were the illustrations! The characters of Tag, the cat and the mouse are made from found objects which I thought was a very interesting idea. This pairs nicely with the oranges, greens, and yellows that are found in the background color palette.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for this advance copy.