Cover Image: How to Heal Your Inner Child

How to Heal Your Inner Child

How to Heal Your Inner Child is a very good all-round starter for anyone beginning the journey towards healing childhood trauma. The book is suitable for general audiences, and therefore is less academic than some may be looking for, but it does not attempt to be academic, instead it presents a more personable approach to recovery. In particular, those who experienced emotional abuse and emotional neglect will find a lot to help them in this book, in my opinion. Sometimes I got some 'off' vibes from the book, in the sense that the author often plugs his sobriety course, and he seems somewhat anti-medication, but otherwise this is a helpful and interesting read.

disclaimer: I received an ARC of this book from Sheldon Press via NetGalley and I am voluntarily leaving this honest review.
I was attracted to this book by both the title and the cover, and I actually found it to be really engaging. This is not the cure-all for everyone, and those with deeper needs will want to seek professional help alongside the advice in this book, but it's a really good jumping-off point for those who've realized that this is where their work should begin.
Simon Chapple's "How to Heal Your Inner Child" is one of my top highlights for 2023 in the non-fiction category. Personally, this book spoke to me on so many levels, and the activities ingrained are profoundly insightful, one that requires a high level of awareness and honesty. I loved the writing style; it felt relaxed and friendly, and technical terms were clarified and deciphered exceptionally well. Multiple moments and connections throughout my reading experience helped establish the influence of the past on my current behaviours, which I am incredibly grateful for. I am still working through the activities, and my resolve to have a better outcome for myself is strengthened daily. I read 5% daily, and I found this approach helpful. The process of empathy and kindness shines throughout the book, which is necessary when walking down memory lane. I will return to this book as I face triumphs and challenges in my healing journey.

Do not skip this if you want to make peace with your past and your parents and change your current habits and behaviours.

Thank you, NetGalley & Sheldon Press, for providing an ARC. This honest review is left voluntarily.
Covering a broad range of strategies that could be helpful on your healing journey, suggesting additional resources for further support/help and sharing highly relatable, personal stories throughout, Simon Chapple does a great job of connecting with the reader and offering them a possible road map to a happier self. An interesting and worthwhile read, especially for anyone just beginning to explore this area.
For those who have read gabor mate, Pete walker, bessel van der kolk etc, this will seem somewhat basic. However if you are new to this topic this is a nice introductory read.
This is a detailed, well-organised and thorough book to help readers who feel that something somewhere somehow feels wrong, and would like to find answers from their childhood. For readers who never imagined that they were abused or ill-treated during their childhood, it may never occur to them that their problems stem from their “non-problematic” childhood. Neglect when a child needs nothing less than full, unconditional love causes deep psychological harm. This book helps adults discover the root of their unease, and help them face it, then learn to overcome the hurt and manage the negative effects in life.

This book can also be a starting point for readers who had in fact been more severely abused, but are in deep denial of it, and so never seek help or even try to acknowledge that anything is wrong in their lives. This book can be the first step to start realising that something was wrong, and begin facing one’s trauma, and then digging deeper to the truth.
This was a really helpful book. I picked it up during a state of extreme stress. I couldn't understand what was happening and how to figure things out. This book really gave me a perspective and how to go about my healing journey. It really did help me understand myself better. I'm thankful to the author for writing this book. I recommend everyone to read this book at least once in their lifetime.
How to Heal Your Inner Child came to me at a relevant time. I just turned 30 and do not yet have children. I have a goal of becoming my healthiest self before I have kids. I have done some CBT and talk about my inner child has come up. In CBT I’ve worked more on my adult self and less on healing my inner child. This book gave me such great tips and insight. Im grateful to have read all the information and to be able to move forward in life.
This is a difficult read especially if you are not ready to accept trauma you experienced in childhood. However it was quite insightful and will definitely put you on the right track to healing.
This is a very insightful, very informative and very excellent book. I'd highly recommend it for anyone who carries childhood hurt and trauma as well as for anyone who works with, lives with, or supports someone with, childhood hurt and trauma.
This was a great read. As a counselor and professor, I work a lot with trauma and often discuss the inner child.  I have found some good materials through my years doing therapy but this book further increased my insight into the topic. I now feel that I am better educated on inner child work and can better assist my clients. Helpful for sure! Highly recommend!
This book has a really clear structure to supporting individuals who have a desire to heal their inner child. The book details out the different types of childhood trauma and what effects this may have on us. I found this particularly interesting and liked the detail it went into.
This book is a great resource.
It's a good beginner's introduction for anyone interested in understanding their own CEN or in general. The good thing about this book was the conversational voice that didn't seem like it was talking down to its reader. Highly recommend.
This is insigtful read about childhood emotional neglect and trauma with advices and practical exercises.
I enjoyed reading hacks for happiness.
I believe, everyone will find something at least to think about or to apply.

🙏#netgalley #SimonChapple #HowtoHealYourInnerChild
This was an interesting and informative read that would be a great read for anyone interested in trauma or that has been through a childhood trauma and wnats to heal from it.. The language wasn't complicated and it didn't read too much like a textbook which again would be very helpful and accessible to everyone. A great book.
Book is a great introduction to Childhood Early Neglect and Complex PTSD.  It is clearly written and accessible. It begins with helping you identify the symptoms, moves on to the causes, and ends with a variety of exercises to begin working through the issues. It may be too basic for those who have already read on CEN and CPTSD or have already seen therapists for it.
This book dealt with a very heavy topic in a sensitive but approachable way. The work that it suggests doing in order to face previous trauma and work through it would normally be very intimidating but the author's tone made it seem manageable and like anyone can do it. Very helpful for anyone who needs some guidance with inner healing.
This is a very insightful yet easy-to-read (in terms of writing style) resource for anyone who's experienced childhood trauma. Although the writing is approachable, this isn't an easy ready and requires the reader to undertake a lot of (painful) introspection and self-reflection. The best way to describe this book is a written version of a peer-support worker.

My only bugbear is the lack of references; although the book includes a foreword from a psychotherapist, referring back to accredited studies or source materials on the different topics would have added that extra element of credibility particularly for those readers who are curious and may want to learn more about the research behind CEN, childhood trauma, etc.
How to Heal Your Inner Child by Simon Chapple

410 Pages
Publisher: Nicholas Brealey US / Sheldon Press
Release Date: December 9, 2021

Nonfiction (Adult), Self-Help, Childhood Emotional Neglect, Trauma

When I started this book, I was hoping to find tips to help me deal with past traumas. I was not disappointed. I learned so much from this book. The author begins by. Describing and defining childhood emotional neglect and trauma. I liked how he described your inner child being stuck at the age of a particular trauma and how to reach/heal each incident.

This book is not an easy read if you have been traumatized but understand that to heal you must first identify what happened to you. I have been working with a coach for the past several months and refer to this book often. I now know how broken I was from my childhood, but I know that I am healing and will be whole.
How To Heal Your Inner Child by Simon Chapple was a blessing to me. I finally felt seen. Chapple himself has gone through all the work he speaks about. In addition, he is a sobriety counselor.

The book covers what trauma is, what childhood emotional neglect (CEN), and how they shape adult behaviour. You'll learn how to connect with your inner child to begin healing the effects of trauma and neglect. I've read 'inner child' books before, and done some inner child work, but this time was different. I think mostly because the writing is engaging, and it's full of personal anecdotes. Other books didn't have quite the same personal aspects that made me feel validated.

Highly recommended!

*******Many thanks to Netgalley and Sheldon Press for providing an egalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.