Cover Image: How to Heal Your Inner Child

How to Heal Your Inner Child

How to Heal Your Inner Child came to me at a relevant time. I just turned 30 and do not yet have children. I have a goal of becoming my healthiest self before I have kids. I have done some CBT and talk about my inner child has come up. In CBT I’ve worked more on my adult self and less on healing my inner child. This book gave me such great tips and insight. Im grateful to have read all the information and to be able to move forward in life.
This is a difficult read especially if you are not ready to accept trauma you experienced in childhood. However it was quite insightful and will definitely put you on the right track to healing.
This is a very insightful, very informative and very excellent book. I'd highly recommend it for anyone who carries childhood hurt and trauma as well as for anyone who works with, lives with, or supports someone with, childhood hurt and trauma.
This was a great read. As a counselor and professor, I work a lot with trauma and often discuss the inner child.  I have found some good materials through my years doing therapy but this book further increased my insight into the topic. I now feel that I am better educated on inner child work and can better assist my clients. Helpful for sure! Highly recommend!
This book has a really clear structure to supporting individuals who have a desire to heal their inner child. The book details out the different types of childhood trauma and what effects this may have on us. I found this particularly interesting and liked the detail it went into.
This book is a great resource.
It's a good beginner's introduction for anyone interested in understanding their own CEN or in general. The good thing about this book was the conversational voice that didn't seem like it was talking down to its reader. Highly recommend.
This is insigtful read about childhood emotional neglect and trauma with advices and practical exercises.
I enjoyed reading hacks for happiness.
I believe, everyone will find something at least to think about or to apply.

🙏#netgalley #SimonChapple #HowtoHealYourInnerChild
This was an interesting and informative read that would be a great read for anyone interested in trauma or that has been through a childhood trauma and wnats to heal from it.. The language wasn't complicated and it didn't read too much like a textbook which again would be very helpful and accessible to everyone. A great book.
Book is a great introduction to Childhood Early Neglect and Complex PTSD.  It is clearly written and accessible. It begins with helping you identify the symptoms, moves on to the causes, and ends with a variety of exercises to begin working through the issues. It may be too basic for those who have already read on CEN and CPTSD or have already seen therapists for it.
This book dealt with a very heavy topic in a sensitive but approachable way. The work that it suggests doing in order to face previous trauma and work through it would normally be very intimidating but the author's tone made it seem manageable and like anyone can do it. Very helpful for anyone who needs some guidance with inner healing.
This is a very insightful yet easy-to-read (in terms of writing style) resource for anyone who's experienced childhood trauma. Although the writing is approachable, this isn't an easy ready and requires the reader to undertake a lot of (painful) introspection and self-reflection. The best way to describe this book is a written version of a peer-support worker.

My only bugbear is the lack of references; although the book includes a foreword from a psychotherapist, referring back to accredited studies or source materials on the different topics would have added that extra element of credibility particularly for those readers who are curious and may want to learn more about the research behind CEN, childhood trauma, etc.
How to Heal Your Inner Child by Simon Chapple

410 Pages
Publisher: Nicholas Brealey US / Sheldon Press
Release Date: December 9, 2021

Nonfiction (Adult), Self-Help, Childhood Emotional Neglect, Trauma

When I started this book, I was hoping to find tips to help me deal with past traumas. I was not disappointed. I learned so much from this book. The author begins by. Describing and defining childhood emotional neglect and trauma. I liked how he described your inner child being stuck at the age of a particular trauma and how to reach/heal each incident.

This book is not an easy read if you have been traumatized but understand that to heal you must first identify what happened to you. I have been working with a coach for the past several months and refer to this book often. I now know how broken I was from my childhood, but I know that I am healing and will be whole.
How To Heal Your Inner Child by Simon Chapple was a blessing to me. I finally felt seen. Chapple himself has gone through all the work he speaks about. In addition, he is a sobriety counselor.

The book covers what trauma is, what childhood emotional neglect (CEN), and how they shape adult behaviour. You'll learn how to connect with your inner child to begin healing the effects of trauma and neglect. I've read 'inner child' books before, and done some inner child work, but this time was different. I think mostly because the writing is engaging, and it's full of personal anecdotes. Other books didn't have quite the same personal aspects that made me feel validated.

Highly recommended!

*******Many thanks to Netgalley and Sheldon Press for providing an egalley in exchange for a fair and honest review.
3.5/5 This helpful, practical guide to exploring your early childhood experiences, with a view to healing any negative effects they may have had, is a great place to start for anyone who is new to this kind of self reflection/discovery. Focusing on Childhood Emotional Neglect, an oft ignored area of psychological harm, the book is warm and supportive in it's tone making it an easy, enjoyable read despite the difficult memories and feelings it may trigger in the reader. Covering a broad range of strategies that could be helpful on your healing journey, suggesting additional resources for further support/help and sharing highly relatable, personal stories throughout, Simon Chapple does a great job of connecting with the reader and offering them a possible road map to a happier self. An interesting and worthwhile read, especially for anyone just beginning to explore this area.
Thanks to NetGalley and Sheldon Press for the free eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
How to Heal Your Inner Child is a stepped and safe approach to confronting your past, with space for reflective and supportive strategies that will help you to foster self-compassion and break free from the destructive behaviours that have blighted your life. A great informative read!
Excellent read for anyone who endured trauma in their childhood and wants to begin working through it. The tone is conversational and easy to digest without being overly technical. The author explains things in a way that makes sense. If you’re willing to put in the work or even just considering addressing your trauma this is a great read. Thank you NetGalley for the opportunity to read an advanced copy.
Although this is a difficult book to read, focusing as it does on dealing with childhood trauma, it's an essential one for anyone who had a hard time growing up and wants to heal from the past. Written in a very conversational tone, it is practical and contains a number of exercises designed to help you do the tough inner work to make peace with your past.

Expect lots of tears reading it, but to feel so much better once you're done.

Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC without obligation.
This book has great insights. I think it speaks to a lot of the population and will be helpful to understand and hopefully heal. I actually purchased a copy after receiving this ARC so I could do further work with it.
Described as "How to Heal Your Inner Child is a stepped and safe approach to confronting your past, with space for reflective and supportive strategies that will help you to foster self-compassion and break free from the destructive behaviours that have blighted your life.", and I have to say that it definitely does exactly that. This book is broken down into twenty six chapters (the stepped approach listed above) in a gentle guided way of walking someone down the path of healing, from the very beginning stages through the end stages, but even with the thought process that this is a continual journey that you may return to, time to time. This book is fantastic for someone who is just learning to identify their emotional responses to situations that they are looking for clarity on why they are acting the way they are acting, or reacting. For someone who has been down this particular journey, there are still nuggets of information that can be enlightening, so I still recommend taking the time to read it, especially for the journaling aspects of having you slow down and really taking the time to think about, reflecting, and maybe even identifying things that you might not have really given any thought about before. Normally I speed read through a book, but this one had me pausing to absorb what I just read, and letting the information just soak in, before I moved on. I think a lot of people would really find this as a helpful tool in their toolbox, in their path towards healing.
*I received a copy of this book from NetGalley. This review is my own opinion*
This was a fantastic read. I loved the authors perspective on the emotionally immature parent. It helped me to bring blame off of my parent for their actions.