Cover Image: A Spell of Rowans

A Spell of Rowans

Thankyou for giving me the chance to read. Wasn’t what I expected actually. More thriller and mystery than magic but still had me captivated. Read over two days as I had to just read one more, no just one more page lol!
Such mistake I did, starting this one before bed... Literally read in one sitting 😍
The writing is masterful, thriller with a hint of paranormal and spiced with humor and some love story.
It kept me glued to my kindle right until the end.
The story is also a healing journey for the three brothers (such a vile, evil woman was their mother).

5 stars

~ I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book. All thoughts and opinions are my own ~
To be honest I was a little disappointed by the story, but through no fault of the author nor the book itself. I was expecting this to have more of a fantasy and magical theme than the thriller that I was. I’m sure others will enjoy it, but I’m not the right audience :)
Okay so this book is really good. It is NOT a fantasy book, it just has a few magical elements that help the story along - if you are expecting a magical and mystical story, you'd be wrong. What this is, is a family thriller and crime drama. It's incredibly well written, well paced and thoughtful. It tackles hard subjects, but only uses them to aid the story, not for shock value. It's the tale of a broken, messed up family struggling through a death, trying to heal and escape the past. But the past is catching up, and they have to embrace their talents and rekindle old relationships to save themselves.

This is a great book, but please for the love of god commission a new cover. The font is bad, and the cover doesn't do the story justice at all.

Thanks to netgalley for the free copy.
A Spell of Rowans

By: Byrd Nash

Vic reluctantly returns to her small town to help wrap up her deceased mother’s affairs.  Having avoided her mother, sister Phillipa, brother Liam and ex-boyfriend Reed for years, she is forced to confront the terrible traumas of her past. Throw in a possible murder, various suspects, witchcraft and multiple twists and turns and you’ve got an outstanding story in A Spell of Rowans.

The author’s writing style is excellent and pulled me into the story so that I could not put the book down.  The way she writes each character’s dialogue and Vic’s inner thoughts serves as a very effective form of character development.  Her absence of overly flowery description and use of a clipped writing style makes you feel as though you are in each scene, participating in solving this fast-paced mystery.

I loved this book and would recommend it to all my friends.  I can’t believe this is the first book I’ve read by Byrd Nash – She is now on my list of favorite authors.

I voluntarily read and reviewed an advanced copy of this book in exchange for an honest review from NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own.
This book was mesmerizing. From the minute I picked it up I was pulled into the lives of the Rowan siblings. Immediately drawn to them as the experience of their childhood trauma unfolded on the pages. The cast of characters are a tangled complicated brilliance, showing how beautifully done character development can be. Grimsby was everything you’d want out of a small town setting. Complete with drama, politics, and deep secrets. Every time I thought I knew what was happening a twist would show me I was really three steps behind.  Romance wasn’t a big component but I genuinely enjoyed the relationship and tension between Vic and Reed and was happy with how it played out.
The book in a word is fascinating. The premise and the characters were so strong and enticing. Every character has their own game going and can't get enough of the book. It was so good and I didn't want it to end. Would definitely recommend it to uf fans.
With their mother dead, will the Rowan siblings have to atone for their mother’s evil deeds? Fifteen years ago, Victoria Rowan left Grimsby and never regretted it, until her mother, Rachel, dies. Ding, dong, she’s finally dead. No remorse, just anger at all that took place eats away at Vic. Anger turns to fury when the police arrest her brother Liam, who’s on the spectrum, for a murder he didn’t commit. Three magical siblings must join forces in order to rid their souls of an abusive past to bridge the present and future as one family. Vic, Philippa, and Liam need to sort through the murders, suicide, blackmail, and revenge before it's too late.

A Spell of Rowans is a tragic story about one woman’s thirst for power at any cost, including her gifted children. There’s an old saying that a death in the family, particularly the head of the family, opens all the closets full of secrets. In the Rowan family, they’re not mourning their mother’s death but exhaling. The wicked witch is dead and can no longer control them. But the fallout, the abuse, the pain, still needs to be dealt with and Byrd Nash’s writing exemplifies all the emotions perfectly. A Spell of Rowans is so much more than a magical story, it’s a gripping tale of family dynamics, abuse, autism, murder, small-town life, and so much more. Yes, each Rowan sibling has a magical talent but that’s not the crux of the story. I connected with Vic right away and I identified with her personality best. The plot moves at a good pace with a full cast of characters to interact with. There’s plenty of mystery in this story and I felt a bit like I’d jumped into the middle of a play, not knowing what was going on. While some authors do this and I’m forever lost, Byrd Nash takes the reader and slowly builds the backstory. Piece by piece, the story begins to take shape until the reader becomes a part of the story. Brilliant writing, engrossing characters, a mystery to solve, and healing. A Spell of Rowans is a superb story from start to finish. I recommend this book to every reader.

Disclaimer: I received a copy from the author in the hopes I'd review it. My thoughts are all my own.

My Rating: 5 stars
I thought this was a really interesting book! It's a story filled with magical aspects that are so interesting, but it also has such a family element. I loved the relationships between the siblings. I struggled to read about the abuse they endured, but I loved the healing as the story progresses. There is mystery and magical realism, and some soft romance. I really enjoyed it!
This is a most glorious book but difficult to classify:  magic, magical realism, murder, possible murder, mystery, small town vibes, rekindled romance, police and legal procedure, to name but a few. Yet somehow it works, and I had to finish it and ultimately recommend it.

The main character, Vic, is the middle of three children of a ghastly mother, an ineffective father and possesses magic. Childhood was horrible and adulthood meant distancing herself from her family both mentally and physically. The death of her mother meant re-engagement with her family and some fairly serious consequences.

Who was murdered and by whom is one line of enquiry, but the legacy of childhood and the mother’s actions form another thread of the story.  The mother is one of the nastiest and most vicious people I have read about. Her horrendous actions are dropped bit by bit through the book and the overall effect is suspense – waiting to find out what other awful things she did. The writing produces some real tension and some absolute cliff-hangers.

The pace is sometimes uneven, and suddenly dips in and out of urgency with descriptive scenes, but the narrative is addictive, you need to know what happens!  Vic and her siblings Philippa and Liam are well realized characters and possess useful magic themselves.  The remaining cast of characters are interesting and add depth to the tale.

The end is a bit out of kilter and the speed of the denouement is slightly jarring, surprising and not really given any concrete hints but, again, it is compelling.

Trigger warnings: childhood abuse, attempted sexual assault, drowning, murder, suicide. Not very graphic but read at your own discretion.
This is the first book I've read by this author and I wasn't disappointed. Although more contemporary than I anticipated I must say I really enjoyed it. Deals with a range of aspects - and I've come to find that I like magical realism and this book displayed that well; abuse, trauma, family - healing and no over the top romance. If you find yourself like me, enjoying this type of magical realism genre I totally recommend.
From the blurb I was expecting something a little more paranormal, a little more fantasy, for want of a better word. It turned out to be a much more contemporary, a murder mystery with minor magical elements, and but I was surprisingly very OK with that. I really liked the author's voice and could connect with the main characters, so that there feelings were my feelings.

We experience the entire story through the eyes of Victoria (Vic) Rowan, a headstrong and impulsive character with a complex history. There are many truths to be uncovered in the town of Grimsby and at times it felt as though each time we discovered the answer to one question two more mysteries were spawned. The author had many different threads to weave into the story and whilst I loved the richness this provided some elements did feel a little underdeveloped.

In the story Vic is joined by her siblings, Pip and Liam, as well as a couple of ex-boyfriends and a number of suspicious, and unwelcoming, town folk. The romantic element is very minor, a second chance from the protagonists teenage years. However I felt there was a missed opportunity to convince the reader of the depth of Vic and Reed's feelings, particularly given the huge time interval that had elapsed since they had last seen one another. Whilst I could find myself believing in the emotions Victoria was experiencing it was more difficult to image that those feelings had survived fifteen years apart.

I very much enjoyed the mystery element. There wasn't a huge amount of foreshadowing, certainly no obvious pointers as to the culprit even with hindsight. We are aware of all the main players within the story, though some feature more heavily than others. All in all the story readily held my attention and left me wanting to read more of the authors work.
I liked this book. I am always up to read a book whenever witches are part of the storyline but I didn't love it. Would I tell people I know about it if I know they are someone who also loves a book with a good witch or two in the storyline.. I would absolutely tell them about this magical book.

Thank you so much for allowing me to read an advanced copy!
Check the trigger warnings on this before picking up. It's not overly graphic, but just be aware :)

The cover caught my eye. Some magical realism that has some Practical Magic vibes. Yay for witchy stories! I like how the each of their giftings were presented as talents. The author does a fantastic job developing each of the characters. There is some darkness in the pages and narcissism, which honestly you're made aware of from page one when the children imply their deceased mother is a witch. The author has very good pacing and a bit of a lyrical style, but not over the top. Would recommend for anyone who's a fan of Alice Hoffman or witchy books.

I received this arc for free from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.
I want to thank the author, publisher and NetGalley/BookSirens for allowing me to review this ARC with honesty.

The premise of this story hooked me first: family secrets, witches, and blackmail. I started reading this story and had a hard time putting it down. It's both serious with some of the topics (check for trigger warnings)brought up, funny with snipe comments from characters as well as inner monologue. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It's true there was "as much" magic as there was murder and mystery but honestly, I was perfectly fine with that. I love the author's writing style as well as how she shapes her characters. I ended up reading this in less than 24 hours because I couldn't seem to want to stop reading it.

This is probably one of my top 10 favorites this year!!!

My Rating: 5 stars!  🌟🌟🌟🌟🌟
Vic returns to her hometown after her mother’s death. Her siblings and her have secrets wrapped in their childhood memories. She escaped but not all of them did.

Now that she returns she must unravel all that has happened since she’s been gone. The death of her mother and her assistant happening on the same day raises suspicion. Then, there is the death of her father all those years ago.

With the whole town thinking that their family was strange and bad always follows the Rowans, Vic must try to out what happened. Someone seems to want her gone and threats like a rock being thrown through the window make her want to find out whats been going on even more.

I enjoyed this story, With so many new details being unraveled, it was able to keep me interested. The powers that this family has is very interesting.

There are some elements that might turn others off. There is talk of child abuse, blackmail, and of course, murder.

If you enjoy mysteries, supernatural, magic, family drama, and blackmail then this is definitely worth a read!
I was expecting a paranormal mystery mixed with a women's fiction aspects, this is a women's fiction with some paranormal aspects.
It's well written and the characters are fleshed but the world building is a bit lacking and I wasn't a fan of the characters.
It's one of those "Me-not-the-book" cases, not my cup of tea.
Many thanks to the publisher and Netgalley for this ARC, all opinions are mine
Victoria and Phillipa are called home after their mother dies, so they can bury her, settle the estate and decide what to do with her business, Rosemary Thyme.  Liam, the youngest member of the family, had been working at the business when their mother died.  As they delve into the business financials, they discover the business was a front for a blackmailing scheme, and their mother had been using Liam's powers of being able to touch an object and find out things about the person attached to the object, to blackmail them.  When the police arrest Liam for their mom's murder, they have to use their own powers to help prove his innocence.
First of all, what a horrid woman their mom was.  This book deals with themes of child abuse. cruelty & mental trauma all courtesy of dear old mom.   I enjoyed reading about each of their gifts and how they used them.  I also enjoyed seeing them try to reverse some of the damage their mom had done to others in their community.  I would have loved to have gotten a deeper dive into the characters (mom excluded), but overall it was an enjoyable book
A Spell of Rowans by Byrd Nash is a wonderful witchy read perfect for this time of year.
When her mother dies Victoria  Rowan is forced to return to the small town she fled from years before, tired of the abuse and manipulation she suffered at her mother's hands because of her unusual skills. As an empath Victoria can not only sense the emotions of others, she can manipulate them at will. She is not the only Rowan family member with powers, her older sister Phillipa uses glamour to get what she wants and her younger brother Liam only has to touch an object to learn about its past and their mother is perfectly willing to use those talents for her own ends. When it turns out that their mother's death is being treated as suspicious by the police, and that Liam may be a prime suspect, Victoria is determined that she will not let this be her  mother's final act of cruelty from beyond the grave, and with the help of her high school boyfriend now turned FBI agent, her siblings and their unique skills she is determined to uncover the truth about her mother's death even if it means revealing a few family secrets in the process.
I really enjoyed this book, the blend of magic and mystery worked perfectly for me. I thought the mystery was well crafted and the reveal made sense, but the real heart of the book was the relationship between the three siblings which felt completely believable. The impact of their traumatic childhood was really important to the story and I thought it was impeccably handled by the author, it was fascinating to see how the cruelty inflicted on them by their mother drew them together in so many ways, but was also occasionally a source of tension between them. The pacing was good and helped to keep me engaged in the story the author was telling., but honestly I was so enamoured of the three siblings and their skills that I was already all in.
I really hope that the author plans to revisit the Rowan family so that we can learn more of Phillipa's , and especially Liam's stories as I think there is real room for more.
I read and reviewed an ARC courtesy of NetGalley and the publisher ,all opinions are my own.
{3.5 stars}

"My mother, the witch from a fairytale with no happy ending."

----------------------------------

A Spell of Rowans is more of a murder mystery and family drama than a book about witches and magic. It reminded me in a lot of ways of The Family Plot. The Rowans are an unusual family in a small town and boy do they have secrets! When the matriarch of the family dies, her three children are brought back together to deal with her estate. Quickly, they find out their mother was evil to more than just them. The town all has a grudge against the dead woman and her children are trying to right the wrongs. When one of them is arrested for the murder of their mother's assistant, they use their unusual powers to get to the truth.

I enjoyed this story especially the murder mystery part. I did not see the murderer coming and it made sense whodunit, but there were lots of great suspects along the way. The abuse of the mother to the children was quite hard to read but it gave context to how these three became who they were. I wished there was a little more magic and a little less forced romance for the two sisters. The son's power to trace the history of items was really interesting, I would have loved to see more of that, or maybe a whole book with him central to the story?

Thanks to Netgalley for a copy. All opinions above are my own.