Cover Image: The Hacienda

The Hacienda

Beautifully crafted gothic horror. Will delight fans of Shirley Jackson, Silvia Moreno-Garcia, and William Peter Blatty. If you are looking for creepy and spooky, you’ll find it here!

The author artfully weaves together mysticism, traditional beliefs, superstition and religion with a good old fashioned haunting to create a delicious moodiness and sense of impending doom.

Enjoyed this title and would recommend.
Thanks to NetGalley and Berkeley for the ARC.
Since the panini started, I've consumed more horror stories than I did my entire life before. So when I say this takes a place among the classics, I MEAN IT.

And those comps? Mexican Gothic meets Rebecca are so incredibly spot on. Isabel has crafted a story so reminiscent of old gothic horrors dressed in a sharp critique of colonialism, it was a DELIGHT to add this book to my absolute favorites.

The doors slamming shut, foggy nights, writing on the walls in blood--it has all those comfort horror (sorry) tropes, and more. THE HACIENDA is bittersweet, it's horrifying, it's soft, it's scathing. And I'm so excited to see more from Isabel.
Isabel Canas describes the plight of of post war Mexico and the limited opportunities for women-- especially daughters of generals on the wrong side of the revolution.  Her descriptions of the landscape, the hacienda, the weather, and the people of the village paint a vivid portrait of the time and place which make you feel that you are there.  The Hacienda is possessed or Beatriz is mad.  She should trust no one, but she must.  She chooses to enlist the help of the priest/witch who is the savior/devil.  The house is alive and is a character in the novel.  Will Beatriz survive in this remote Hacienda?  Will the place she chose as her salvation lead to her doom?
Equal parts Mexican Gothic and Crimson Peak, this supernatural thriller comes with all the trappings of Gothic horror: a remote house, forbidden rooms and wings, and a haunting presence that follows our heroine surreptitiously. Set against the backdrop of the overthrow of the Mexican government in the early 19th century, The Hacienda brings new life to old tropes. Beatriz is a classic Gothic heroine: newly married, willful, and blessed/cursed with an active imagination. Isabel Cañas writes with an easy eloquence, crafting suspenseful scenes and intriguing character dynamics.  It was a joy to watch Beatriz investigate her threatening new home, as well as the mystery of her predecessor’s death. What happened to the first Doña Solórzano? I think a broad array of readers will enjoy finding out.
This was the perfect spooky read for October. Not only did it have me terrified to go to sleep, but the writing was absolutely stunning, woven with complex themes. What a truly spectacular read!
I absolutely loved this one! I would love to see it as a movie, if it could be done without the standard 'haunted house movie' jump scares. Highly recommended!!
Thank you so much to Berkley Publishing Group and NetGalley for the ARC!
Lush, thrilling, and deliciously creepy. I loved the glimpse into a history I didn't know much about. I would absolutely recommend this book!
Really excited about this title. Wonderful mash up of historical/gothic/horror and romance that is likely to appeal to a wide swath of readers. Finally, a book that is being marketed as scary that is actually delivering some terrifying moments! The writing is elegant and poetic and the historical elements are fascinating. Looking forward to sharing the word of this book closer to release date.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The paranormal elements were woven well into the story. The descriptions of the ill hacienda brought me goosebumps in an exciting way. Beatriz, Andres, and Paloma are great protagonist that ensure that the reader stays to find out their ultimate fate.
Hits all the right notes of a gothic horror- haunted house, malevolent spirits, mysterious new husband- but also layers in a strong historical setting and themes of class and race. Plus, a forbidden romance! This story was haunting and engrossing, and I totally loved it. Great for fans of Mexican Gothic.
A dark and twisting tale that had me reading late into the night. I thought the ending was a little jarring but I liked the overall theme. For sure great for fans of Haunting of Hill House or Stephen Graham Jones!
“A gorgeous, decadent, gothic delight. A story like a storm—it will chill you, it will shake you, it will knock you off you feet.”
The Hacienda took a very cool approach to the haunted house novel, by way of Rebecca shortly after the Mexican War of Independence.  I really appreciated the author’s engagement with this specific history and articulation of the Mexican culture and the historical framework (casta systems and religion), especially as a reader not too familiar with the context in which this novel was set.

As a debut, this novel was certainly very well written and served as a bit of a palate cleanser in the middle of my impromptu horror binge – I wouldn’t think to cast it as your typical horror novel.  I was comfortably taken into the story and admired Beatriz’ determination to make a home for herself and reconcile with her mother despite the socioeconomic and paranormal obstacles that stood in her way.

Something I had some trouble getting into personally was the overintensity of the house, and how it was perhaps a bit too imbued with personality to inspire the feeling of horror I was looking forward to – I imagine a bit more subtlety would’ve been a better recipe for chills, personally.  I also wasn’t surprised by many of the twists as they were revealed, but was definitely still engaged and looked forward to where and how the author was moving the story.  Even with any doubts, I felt like the author’s attention to detail and atmosphere as well as the lush descriptions of San Isidro made this well worth the read.

As often as I am guilty of skipping the Author’s Note at the end, I was so glad to read on!  It was very illuminating to read where the author drew inspiration as well as contexualize many of themes that I wouldn’t have considered on my own.  I loved understanding where Cañas was coming from and her personal acquaintance with the subject matter and how the story came about.

Thank you to the author, Berkley and NetGalley for this refreshing read!
Any book that compares itself to Mexican Gothic is an autobuy. But I was so pleased to see that this book lived up to the hype! This atmospheric novel broke a month-long reading slump and has me chomping at the bit for more. All of the characters, from our lead Beatriz to Juana to the priests were distinct and fully formed. The plot is tight and the house itself was sinister without being absurd. Put it in the hands of anyone who loved Mexican Gothic, the Silent Companions, or Hill House.