Cover Image: The Hacienda

The Hacienda

This book was creepy and supernatural, but also had believability to it. I hate when a book is so out there you can't really connect with the story. This story had characters that I cared about, characters that I hated, and I was able to keep interest and believe what was going on. This book will definitely be one that I continue to recommend to others as it has lots of facets that make it enjoyable for a variety of readers.
I can see why this book has been compared to Mexican Gothic though the stories themselves are quite different and excellent in their own ways. Beatriz married for security, but soon learns she'll find no comfort or safety in her new home. Red eyes peer through the dark and voices torment her. The only person who believes her fears is a local priest who also happens to be a witch. But will his help be enough to get Beatriz out of a haunting--and potentially deadly--situation? It's a great historical Gothic horror novel. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
As a fellow writer of gothic fiction, I am in awe of this book! Gorgeous prose and thrilling twists!
This was a great, gothic thriller with some fascinating historical context thrown in.  The setting was unique and lush, and the characters were all complex and interesting.  There were some really great scares here and towards the end I couldn't put it down!
The Hacienda simultaneously indulges and subverts the tropes of a gothic story. The rich characters and setting really tie it all together. A perfect starter for someone who is looking to get into horror, not quite gory enough to turn anyone off, but horrific enough to set itself firmly in the genre. A must-read for lovers of the gothic stories, romance and the ghostly. I will be looking forward to whatever this author decides to write in the future. There is a bit of a lack in horror of LatinX voices and it's always such a wonderful thing to support these authors. The romance and the scares are both giving their all, and that makes for a perfect mix of spooky and romantic,
Spooky, gothic, romantic...THE HACIENDA has it all! If MEXICAN GOTHIC left a hole in your heart two years ago and nothing else has been able to fill it, then look no further. I had high expectations for this book, and it exceeded them ALL!
This book was so good! Admittedly I was a bit nervous because his book is definitely out of my comfort zone, But I found myself not wanting to stop the audiobook. It just had a sense of creep factor that I really enjoyed throughout and I love the two main characters.

Definitely going to check out more books by this author.
I love haunted house novels and this one was so atmospheric and suspenseful that I could not put it down. The characters were wonderfully complex in their motivations and personalities (including the house!) and the setting, shortly after the Mexican War for Independence, was integral to the plot. I can't recommend this book with it's spooky twists and forbidden romance nearly enough.

I love the comparison that is being made that this is Mexican Gothic meets Rebecca. I think it's very fitting and that The Hacienda really does contain some of the best qualities of both works.
This book is creepy, and I loved it. It's very reminiscent of partially telenovelas vibes but also the paranormal and religious aspect that is very much part of Latinx communities + Rebecca feels. It's a lovely mix of latin gothic and it's such a whirlwind tale.
Spooky! The Hacienda follows a newly married woman who travels to her husband’s remote countryside estate and begins to experience events that lead her to believe something evil is lurking inside. This book kept me guessing and turning pages to find out what happened. I found some of the chapters to be too slow, but the vast majority was suspenseful  and creepy. If you enjoyed Mexican Gothic, I think you’ll like this novel.
Beatriz feels trapped and the only way out is through marriage. Little does she know that this marriage may kill her. This gothic supernatural story set after the Mexican War for Independence will have readers shivering in fright. The world building and intricate detail of scenes are so visceral, I felt shivers and the sensation of something lurking. Beatriz is a fantastic protagonist, who is authentic and well rounded. The infusion of culture, government, and history is superb.
I originally picked this one because of the Mention of Mexican Gothic but I honestly think I enjoyed The Hacienda even more than the former!

The spooky house vibes were immaculate and everything I’d want in a haunted house story. I think I would have liked it a little heavier on the romance side but didn’t take away from the core of the story.

The ending was good even if a little sad but I was glad for a little hope at the end.
The story of Beatriz and Andres versus the hacienda is full of suspense, unreliable characters, and  paranomal activity. I love a haunted house story and this one did not disappoint. Usually the main character is struggling to convince anyone else in the story of a haunting in haunted house stories. So it was refreshing for Beatriz to have an ally from the beginning. I enjoyed the historic pieces and the portrayal of the community as well. Great read!
DNF at 59%. I don't read horror almost ever, but I was drawn in by the hype and comparisons to Mexican Gothic (which I haven't actually read). Not at all bad, just not for me!
The comps to Rebecca and Mexican Gothic feel very accurate, but this book also stands on its own with a really compelling and intriguing story, with high stakes and plenty of terrifying moments that frankly exceed the scariness I ever felt with Mexican Gothic. This excellent debut, alongside a well told paranormal story, also serves as a piece of historical fiction illuminating a piece of history I'm less familiar with.
At the end of the war for Mexican Independence, Beatriz's family is torn apart by the death of her father and the removal of Beatriz and her mother from their home. So Beatriz must find a way to a semblance of domestic and financial security through her marriage to Don Rodolfo Solórzano whose first wife has mysteriously died (red flag). Despite her mother's disapproval, Beatriz moves to Hacienda San Isidro with her husband, but the Hacienda is not what she expects as she is haunted (or hunted) by secrets hidden in the the walls of her new home. Alone and afraid, she finds refuge in the young priest (and witch) Andrés as she tries to navigate her new homestead.
Told from the POV of Beatriz and Andrés, this book was a slow burn filled with witchcraft, superstitions, and mystery. The read-a-like of Mexican Gothic is spot-on as we follow our heroine who is just trying to survive her circumstances and a mysterious home trying to devour her. I thoroughly enjoyed this book with the dark mystery, fierce characters, and symbolism of trauma. Though the ending wasn't the pretty "wrapped-in-a-bow" conclusion in some aspects, I think it was fitting for the characters.
Atmospheric!! One of tmy anticipated reads that did not disappoint.

Gothic genre really needs to be one of my focus this year!!
This gave me all the gothic Mexican vibes that I'd hoped to get from Mexican Gothic but didn't (i.e. it actually felt Mexican, not just a Mexican main character dropped into a white, Euro setting surrounded by white Anglo people). Loved the atmosphere and history, the author's academic background definitely showed. Giving this 4 instead of 5 stars because it did feel a little thin. Like a padded novella. I felt like it was missing a layer, some complication or twist in the plot which was otherwise very straightforward, or some deeper interiority/character growth to make the read more satisfying. Still, I want this book to do well because I have been praying to the publishing gods for years for more books set in Mexico that aren't about cartels or tragic immigrants.
What could have been better?
I wish we got more of Andrés POV, we got a fair bit but I wish it was every other chapter that it changed.

I wish there was more background of Juana and some more flashbacks about the history of the other people.

What I really liked?
I liked that the action and supernatural stuff began right away! There wasn’t a bunch of lead up, which I love, it got into the thick of it and gave all the chilling vibes!

I liked how she developed the setting and the mystery and the tension within the house…I could feel what Beatriz was feeling to my bones.

I liked how this book felt fast paced and the short chapters! It made me not want to put it down.

If you’re looking for a gothic and haunting story that’s fast paced and an easy read? I’d check this one out!

💕Favorite Quotes💕
“God knows nothing of loneliness, because God has never tasted companionship as mortals do. Clinging to one another in darkness so complete and sharp it scrapes flesh from bone, trusting one another even as the Devil’s breath bloom hot on their napes.”

3.75 rounded to 4
The Hacienda was not what I was expecting, but I liked it and all the twists and turns it held. The writing itself was captivating, lyrical and descriptive in a way that made you feel like you were having the story told to you on a dark night. I wanted to learn more about the backgrounds of all the characters (including the house) because I felt like there was still a lot of information that we were not given and it made me feel like the story was slightly unresolved. As a horror story, I enjoyed it and felt like the twists were handled well; I wanted to learn more about everything!