Cover Image: The Hacienda

The Hacienda

I really enjoyed this!
I loved seeing the representation of Mexican history and culture. I also found the horror and mystery aspect worked well with the deeper topics that were explored.
I will definitely be picking up anything the author writes next!
3.5/5!

THE HACIENDA, Isabel Cañas’ debut novel, is the story of one woman trapped in the house of her nightmares. The sanctuary and freedom that Beatriz thinks she has found in Hacienda San Isidro is all a facade for a dark and violent past that has filled the home.

Cañas wisely chooses to unpack this story through dual narration from Beatriz and a priest that befriends her, Andres. There are also some chapters that go back in time to help reveal more of the history of the home. These chapters and the slow, methodical way that Cañas reveals the truth give the book a tense and eerie feeling. I love the overwhelming sense of dread I felt while reading the first half of this book. I had no idea what was coming and was just as stressed out as Beatriz wondering what would happen in the house next. While I was blown away with the first half of the story, certain twists featured in the second half changed the direction of where I thought things were headed and it left me less satisfied.

Overall, THE HACIENDA is a brilliant debut that left me eagerly awaiting whatever Cañas publishes next!
This book was extremely atmospheric and well written. I felt like the pace could have used some tweaks but overall I enjoyed this book and look forward to more from the author.
Unputdownable and an absolute perfect read for the fall season. It isn’t too late, while the leaves are still falling and before the snow comes (depending where you live) please pick this up. However, I do think this quite perfectly suite the cold, winter season that is faster approaching.

I purposefully did not read this for a while so I could read it in October, and I do not regret that at all. The Halloween atmosphere only made this tale even spookier, more haunting, and immersive- however, the writing style itself did most of that work. Isabel Canas writing style is bound to captivate audiences no matter the season.
I loved this book! The mixture of historical fiction, gothic, and horror. The atmosphere and characters were written perfectly.
The publisher archived the ARC on Netgalley before I could download it to my kindle, leaving me unable to read or review the book.
I’m not sure The Hacienda knows what type of book it wants to be. Or maybe I expected something different from what I got.

The first half of the book is sluggish. We’re given lots of information on the Mexican government and women’s struggles in the aftermath of their country’s War of Independence. While interesting, I didn’t feel emotionally connected to the content, and after a while it became repetitious.

This was a societal commentary exploring the Mexican women’s plight and old customs pitted against Christianity, but definitely not supernatural suspense, and there was nothing gothic about the setting.

Pacing picks up in the second half, where setting shifts to the gothic feel, and we get the promised supernatural aspect and shades of Rebecca. I enjoyed the way this played out. The house almost comes alive and the reasons behind what happens fascinated me.

Still, pacing was problematic, with lengthy inner monologues and enough foreshadowing that not much came as a surprise.

But this is just my cynical opinion. Lots of readers have loved this one, and you might too.
This book is billed as Mexican Gothic meets Rebecca- and i have to say, they got that right.  It’s debut supernatural suspense, set in the aftermath of the Mexican War of Independence. It’s about a remote house and a sinister haunting, and the woman, Beatriz, who was pulled into it all.

During the overthrow of the Mexican government, Beatriz’s father was executed and her home was destroyed. When handsome Don Rodolfo Solórzano proposes, Beatriz ignores the rumors surrounding his first wife’s sudden demise and chooses to take her chances in favor of the security that his estate in the countryside provides. She will have her own home again, no matter the cost.

But Hacienda San Isidro is not the sanctuary she imagined.

When Rodolfo returns to work in the capital, visions and voices invade Beatriz’s sleep. The weight of invisible eyes follows her every move. Rodolfo’s sister, Juana, scoffs at Beatriz’s fears—but why does she refuse to enter the house at night? Why does the cook burn copal incense at the edge of the kitchen and mark the doorway with strange symbols? What really happened to the first Doña Solórzano?

Beatriz only knows two things for certain: Something is wrong with the hacienda. And no one there will save her.

Desperate for help, she clings to the young priest, Padre Andrés, as an ally. No ordinary priest, Andrés will have to rely on his skills as a witch to fight off the malevolent presence haunting the hacienda and protect the woman for whom he feels a powerful, forbidden attraction. But even he might not be enough to battle the darkness.

The tension in this book was great! It was genuinely spooky and unsettling, and I loved the ending. I recommend this for spooky season, especially if you want an unsettling story that isn't too gory.
I am in love with the current Latinx Gothic Horror trend and Isabel Cañas' book The Hacienda is a great addition. Her ability to write atmosphere, the chemistry between her main characters Beatriz and Andrés , the malevolence of the house, were all palpable. My only complaint, and it is a small one, was I felt the transition from past to present a little jarring. I often found myself preferring Andrés' narrative in the past over the present with Beatriz. I love that while The Hacienda played with gothic tropes, it is very much its own unique and rich story. The ending did not surprise, I suppose I've read too many books in this genre not to see the twists coming, so I did appreciate that Cañas did not leave everything neatly. It served her characters well and left me wanting more.
Thank you to NetGalley for an advanced copy of The Hacienda. This was my kick off book to spooky season and it was the perfect way to start. Think Rebecca meets 1880s Mexico, but with some actual ghosts thrown in. The perfect amount of scary and suspense, with a bit of history and drama. I love stories where the house or location is a central character, and this house, the Hacienda, did not disappoint. The hot priest was an added bonus! Highly recommend!
What an incredible start to my October reads - this Gothic horror was absolutely everything I was hoping it would be. Intensely atmospheric, thick with description and incisive thinking about colorism, classism, colonialism, religion, and feminism. It's tightly plotted and the whole thing feels like a ticking time bomb, ramping up the dread and the discomfort till you're fit to burst. The comp to REBECCA is simultaneously spot on and just scratching the surface of what this book is. So, so good.
I really enjoyed The Hacienda by Isabel Cañas! It's a perfect read for spooky season. If you enjoyed Mexican Gothic, you should definitely check out The Hacienda!

After the Mexican War of Independence Beatriz has lost her father and her home, so she marries a rich man, seizing the security of his estate in the countryside. Beatriz is determined to have a home again, but Hacienda San Isidro is far from welcoming.

Her husband's first wife died under mysterious circumstances, Beatriz is experiencing visions and hearing voices, and it feels like the house is watching her. No one will help her except for the handsome young priest, Padre Andrés. Andrés is willing to use his skills as a witch to combat the malevolent spirit haunting the hacienda.

Cañas' tale is full of forbidden love, a truly creepy house, and intriguing characters. I loved the writing and atmosphere of the book (and the hot priest)! I'd highly recommend this book if you're looking for a haunted house story to read during spooky season!
Those who prefer ghosts to monsters will enjoy “The Hacienda” by Isabel Cañas, which releases May 3. Although it has been compared to Du Maurier’s “Rebecca,” it is closer to 2020’s “Mexican Gothic” by Silvia Moreno-Garcia.

Beatriz marries young, handsome widower Rodolfo to escape poverty and her cruel tia’s kitchen. She moves into his hacienda on a remote maguey plantation and soon discovers that no one else is willing to live in the house, and in fact, that the house doesn’t want Beatriz there either.

Young Padre Andrés tries to help Beatriz “heal” the house of the strange voices and apparitions but must hide his native powers from the Inquisition and his fellow priests. He must also hide his feelings for Beatriz.

This title was a fun, chilling read that transports the reader to 1820’s Mexico, just after the Revolution and the social turmoil that followed. Beatriz and Andrés each narrate alternating chapters, including Andrés’s flashbacks to his youth, and why he was banished from the hacienda by Rodolfo’s first wife.
Readers of Mexican Gothic and new readers alike are going to love this story! The Hacienda is a very immersive, creepy, atmospheric horror novel that.I absolutely loved. The remote Mexican setting along with the Rebecca like story made it so I couldn't put the book down, and I couldn't stop thinking about the book when I sadly did have to put it down. Horror fans need to rush to pick this book up!
Beatriz marries to get out of her situation at home. She will be the second wife. There are rumors of what happened to the first wife but Beatriz is desperate. She hopes to move her mom home with her too to make her life better. Beatriz never expects to be so lonely while married, and her sister-in-law, she knows something. Should Beatriz take her as a warning? This novel shows everything you ever dreamed of may not be what you will always want.
*3.5 stars rounded up to 4

With comparisons to Silvia Moreno-Garcia's Mexican Gothic and Daphne du Maurier's Rebecca, The Hacienda instantly became one of my most anticipated books of 2022.

The story follows Beatriz, who marries Don Rodolfo Solórzano to escape the horrendous living conditions of her unwelcoming aunt. Beatriz looks forward to having a place to call her own, but quickly realizes that Hacienda San Isidro is not what she expected. There are whispers of Rodolfo's previous wife and her untimely death, as well as Beatriz seeing and hearing things that no one else can. This leads Beatriz to ask for help from the church where she meets  Andrés, the only priest willing to help her figure out what has happened in her new home.

The Hacienda is the perfect gothic horror mystery. The writing is so beautiful and rich. The horror aspects of this story are very creepy and have stuck with me even after finishing this book. This story is very reminiscent of  Rebecca but in a fresh way. Cañas brings some excellent twists and adds a significant romance that meshed perfectly with the atmosphere of the story overall. Just like Rebecca, this story does drag a little at points, but makes up for it with how everything comes together in the end.

I would highly recommend The Hacienda to anyone who loves historical gothic novels, horror, or creepy houses that are almost like a character in a story! I will be looking out for whatever Isabel Cañas writes next.
Beatriz marries Don Rodolfo Solórzano and travels with him to his hacienda. There she learns that his first wife had either been abducted by bandits or something else, but she ignores the rumors, feeling she finally has a place of her own.

But visions and voices began invading her new safe place, making it dangerous for her. Rodolfo’s sister, Juana, makes fun of Beatriz’s fears, and yet, Juana never steps inside the place much. Her husband says she can contact the local church for help. The young priest, Padre Andres, agrees to help, even though he was once told to leave that place and never return.

A tense supernatural thriller of a house seems alive reminding me of The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson, where a house haunts the people inside it. If you enjoy a good ghost story, forbidden romance, and historical novels, Isabel Cañas has written a story that combines all three into one scary package.
Richly detailed and emotionally vibrant. This is a good one for fans of novellas and gothic horror tales. Highly recommend this book as it is original in numerous ways and classic in others. It was a wild ride from start to finish. Intensely addicting!
This book was creepy and supernatural, but also had believability to it. I hate when a book is so out there you can't really connect with the story. This story had characters that I cared about, characters that I hated, and I was able to keep interest and believe what was going on. This book will definitely be one that I continue to recommend to others as it has lots of facets that make it enjoyable for a variety of readers.
I can see why this book has been compared to Mexican Gothic though the stories themselves are quite different and excellent in their own ways. Beatriz married for security, but soon learns she'll find no comfort or safety in her new home. Red eyes peer through the dark and voices torment her. The only person who believes her fears is a local priest who also happens to be a witch. But will his help be enough to get Beatriz out of a haunting--and potentially deadly--situation? It's a great historical Gothic horror novel. I thoroughly enjoyed it.