Cover Image: Lost in Darkness

Lost in Darkness

This was the perfect story to read this time of year! I enjoyed learning more about the history of Frankenstein, though this is a historical fiction story. The details were well done.
Lost in Darkness is an intriguing Gothic mystery and romance with elements of the classic Frankenstein and an atmospheric Dickensian feel. Fans of Jaime Jo Wright will enjoy this one!

I LOVE the relationship between Amelia and her brother, whose POV we readers also have. He helps to shape the themes of the story and draw out how identity deeply important yet not tied to physical appearance.

The romance develops nicely. Graham is so completely gone over Amelia at a certain point, it's very sweet. Their relationship is the quiet, supportive complimentary kind I appreciate -- especially in a historical novel.

I felt the pacing of this book didn't match my expectation. While it held my interest and continued to develop, I read it at an unusually slow pace. It could have totally been my reading mood, though, which made me like this one less. I also didn't care for the resolution of a key part of the story conflict -- I wanted a slightly more hopeful conclusion to one of the story threads.

Thank you to the publisher and Netgalley for the review copy. This is my honest review.
If I were to describe this book in one word, it would be intense. Marvelously so. Michelle Griep has taken her writing to new levels in this gothic romance that leaves characters battling the monsters within . . . and without. Mary Shelley's Frankenstein had nothing on this story where the famed author makes several appearances. The story of Amelia Balfour, Graham Lambart, Colin Balfour, and Dr. Peckwood is sure to have your angst ratcheting tight all the way to the spell-binding ending, that while holding to magnificent gothic tradition, leaves the reader with hope for the future.

This was the most intense book from Michelle Griep that I have ever read, and to be honest, I was glad that I was listening to it as an audiobook and was forced to do thirty or fewer minute increments. The tension was so deep, so constant that my heart couldn't take it all at once. I'm looking forward to reading it again soon, this time in one fell swoop. This is an unforgettable tale that will sweep readers away to a different time to face monsters that they might even see reflected in themselves.

I recommend this book for fans of Gothic romances, Frankenstein, obscure history, and deep truths discovered during trying circumstances.

*While I've purchased an additional copy myself, a copy of this book was provided to me by the publisher and the review above is my honest opinion of the book and was not influenced in any way.*

(Some links for the reviews have not been approved yet, but I've tried to put in what I could. I reviewed to Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Books-A-Million, Christianbook, GoodReads, BookBub, and my blog which will go live on Tuesday 11/23/2021)
This was a very interesting book. I’m still processing the story. I was very intrigued by the storyline. Conflicting feelings… both sad but bittersweet. I really like the author and her writing style.

To read the synopsis follow the link: Amazon Link

I received a complimentary ARC of this book from NetGalley on behalf of the Publisher and was under no obligation to post a favorable review.
A Regency Gothic book with a Frankenstein vibe.
This book kept me spellbound while reading it. I simply could not put it down. It also made me a bit sad. A young woman who wants only the best for her brother, she gives up a once in a life time opportunity she has worked so hard towards to be with her brother as he has experimental brain surgery to cure a deformity he has.
The sad thing is doctor's experimented on people who had no say in what happened to them like people in asylums back in the old days to get the skills needed to perform the surgeries they do today.
#LostinDarkness #NetGalley

Very different story than I usually read by a very talented author.
Looking forward to reading many more books by this author.

Pub Date: 01 Nov 2021
I was given a complimentary copy of this book. Thank you.
All opinions expressed are my own.
I must admit that I don't tend to read a lot of gothic novels, and lately do tend to prefer much lighter reads... and yet, I found this to be a wonderfully written story that drew me in nonetheless. Michelle Griep does a wonderful job of creating these beautiful characters that draw the reader into the story, and into this time and place quite different than our own. While the style of this book was quite different than books I had read by the author in the past, her skillful storytelling came through every bit as beautifully just the same.

While I don't believe I've ever personally read Frankenstein, I-like most- am fairly familiar with the story anyway... so seeing that this was inspired by it certainly piqued my interest. A Christian fiction read inspired by Frankenstein? Seemed interesting...and Michelle Griep truly did pull it off beautifully. If you enjoy historical fiction, this is certainly a unique read worth checking out.

**I received a complimentary copy for consideration. All thoughts are my own.
A beautiful story with a strong and courageous heroine. I couldn't put this down! Beautiful writing kept me turning the pages! Thrilling and romantic!
Michelle Griep has a talent for writing raw and real gothic romance that never fails to pull me in and hold me spellbound until the very last page. Lost In Darkness definitely lived up to my expectations.

In this Frankenstein-inspired tale, Amelia Balfour receives news that brings her dreams of sailing to Cairo as a travel writer to a sudden halt. Her father has died and her terrifyingly deformed brother has a chance at a surgery that could change his life forever, but he needs Amelia's help in the weeks leading up to the very risky, and potentially fatal day. After all, nobody has ever attempted such a surgery before. Surgeon Graham Lambert has been suspicious about his boss's strange behaviour since beginning his new job as an assistant physician in the often-absent man's practice. However, he still doesn't have enough evidence to prevent the shady doctor from operating on Amelia's brother, and he definitely didn't expect to fall in love with his new patient's sister.

Lost in Darkness is an epic novel filled with heart-pounding suspense and raw emotion. Griep dives deep into the often horrific treatments of asylum patients while reminding us that there is still light to be found even in the darkest places. I really liked both Amelia and Graham and found them relatable and even heroic, but Colin was my favourite. His life had been difficult and lonely, but he still had such a big heart. He may have struck horror in the hearts of everyone who looked at him (with the exception of his sister), but he continued to trust in God and to love those who would let him in.

I would give this novel 4.5/5 stars. I loved almost the entire book, despite it being outside of my usual genre, but was disappointed with the ending. I can see why the author ended it this way, but I still wish it could have been different.

If you enjoy faith-filled gothic or historical romance, you won't want to miss Lost in Darkness.

*I received a complimentary copy of Lost in Darkness through the publisher and NetGalley. All thoughts and opinions are my own. My positive review is not required.
Michelle Griep brings a emotional gothic tale with her latest Regency romance, Lost in Darkness.

I don’t quite know where to start with this book. My emotions are still swirling inside me and have not settled. Not that Lost in Darkness isn’t good. This novel is exquisite. And I don’t use that adjective lightly. In fact, I think the fact that my emotions haven’t settled yet is due to the fact that this book is so wonderful.

With this novel, Michelle Griep delves into the human condition, specifically our desire to be loved and cared for. In a way I can only deem ironic, she takes three characters who long to find their place in the world and lodges them deeply into the reader’s heart. Or at least that’s how it felt for me. Because the moment I was introduced to Amelia, I felt for her. I understood her. When I was introduced to Graham, I was drawn to him. And when Colin stepped onto the page, my heart broke.

In a unique twist on Beauty and the Beast, Griep brings us a story about a beautiful sister and her deformed brother. But what strikes me is that Colin is beautiful on the inside, even if he’s considered beastly on the outside.

I wasn’t prepared for the ending in more ways than one. Yet when I finally turned the last page, I found that the characters stayed with me. That the spiritual arcs about God’s love and our place in His hands resonated with me in a way I hadn’t expected. And while watching Graham and Amelia’s relationship bloom was both beautiful and satisfying, it was Colin that really gripped my attention.

Overall, Lost in Darkness is a poignant story that gothic and Regency romance fans will love.

(Note: I received a complimentary copy via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. All opinions expressed are my own.)
Michelle Griep wrote Lost in Darkness, a novel set in England in 1815.  It concerns Amelia Balfour, a world traveler, and writer of travel journals.  She has been summoned home by the last will of her deceased father.  He has instructed her to see that her brother Colin, who was born with a disfiguring disease, undergoes surgery to reverse his condition.  Colin reminds me of the kind beast in the fairy tale.

Mister Graham Lambert is a doctor and has aligned himself with a renowned surgeon.  This surgeon was retained by Amelia’s father to perform the surgery on her brother.  This surgery is highly innovative and dangerous.  Mr. Lambert is not comfortable with his partner’s supposed abilities as a surgeon.

The pre-operative testing and procedures are revolutionary and have not been used before.  Although this novel goes in-depth to explain the surgery and procedure and what it is supposed to accomplish, I, the reader, tended to agree with Mr. Lambert that this was a foolhardy process.  I was more interested in the characters and their portrayal than I was in the “medical” involvement.

Readers who enjoy Gothic fiction will find this novel to their taste.  Although my taste does not run to Gothic novels, I did find this book entertaining although, for me, hard to read.
Under Michelle Griep's creative pen, this Frankenstein inspired tale of a disfigured man and his sister has all the classic gothic vibes that will enthrall readers. Set against the atmospheric backdrop of the Regency era, Griep explores the misguided and sometimes evil treatment for patients found in asylums and those society ignored. With a fascinating plot filled with romantic tension, I found the faith thread to be compelling. The strong and timeless message that both darkness and light are hidden within humanity emanates from its pages in a most profound way.

Great book for a cold dark night!

I received a complimentary copy from the author/publisher and Netgalley. I was not required to write a review. All opinions expressed are my own.
Gothic Christian romance may sound like an odd combination, but it worked! I must admit it did take me a while to get into this book, but it is worth persevering... I absolutely raced through the last third early one Saturday morning.
There were a few americanisms which were jarring, I can’t remember them all, but travelllimg blocks across the city stood out, and also a meal of fish and Yorkshire pudding just sounded bizarre.
Apart from these few things I did enjoy the story, particularly the more suspenseful and adventurous parts
I only discovered Michelle Griep's books this year and she is already becoming a favorite author of mine.

Lost is Darkness is the second book I have read by her. Although this story is vastly different from her early 2021 release, it is just as incredible. Both the characters and plot of this historical, Gothic romance are rich and deep. Although the trials of their lives tempt the characters to become lost in the darkness of the enemy, they ultimately choose to embrace God's love, hope, and light to guide them.

Colin's strength of character captured my heart most. I had no idea how the author would resolve the monumental struggles the characters faced, leading up to the end. Despite some heartbreaking results, the conclusion was satisfying. This is a story I plan to read over again.

Thanks to the publisher and NetGalley for a free EARC in exchange for an honest review. All opinions are my own
Lost in Darkness is a gothic yet faith-filled retelling of Frankenstein, and author Michelle Griep turns the classic story into a delightfully romantic tale. Amelia is an independent travel-writer who is called home to care for her brother Colin, who hides from the world due to his size and deformity. Graham shares a medical practice with a peculiar—and perhaps dangerous—doctor who claims to have the cure for Amelia’s brother. As Graham and Amelia work towards a hopeful healing for Colin, they find love and peril in a suspenseful adventure. I loved Michelle Griep’s clever nods to the original Frankenstein story that were woven throughout the story and made for entertaining reading. However, she made the story her own by writing a tale with a perfect balance of suspense, romance, and spiritual truth. It was extremely well-done! I found some of the medical aspects of this book to be a little hard to stomach, but that is my personal preference, and it was never enough to deter me from finishing the book! I usually do not prefer darker tales, but this story had a dramatic yet wonderfully romantic ending that gave our hero and heroine their own happily ever after, so I was pleased with the ending. Although a departure from the other books I have read by Michelle Griep, I thoroughly enjoyed this story and recommend it for those who love to curl up with a suspenseful Christian fiction novel.
I received a copy of this book from the publisher for review purposes. My thoughts are my own.
This story is one of my favorites by this author.  She tells about what doctors went through to try to do research in order to learn to help people better.  But this also showed the horrible things that doctors did to people in asylums since these people had no say in how they were treated.  This story will make you laugh and cry.  I did not want to put this book down because I needed to know what would happen to Colin.  I loved the use of Mary Godwin in the story.  This is an emotional and inspirational story.  I received a copy of this book from Barbour and Celebratelit for a fair and honest opinion that I gave of my own free will.
An outstanding gothic novel! I love sibling stories, and this one takes you on an emotional rollercoaster with the fears they face. The intense choices Graham faces in his career make this a page-turner! Also, the romance left me swooning after such journey.
I enjoyed the Gothic nature of the book - all the storms, possibilities of going mad, scenes in an asylum, fringe medical equipment, not to mention Colin's disfigurement and abnormal growth - and how the Gothic aspects were balanced with more light and hopeful themes - love, redemption, life. I also really liked the reference to "Frankenstein" and that Mary Shelley was a character; she didn't have a large presence in the book, but it was interesting to imagine her inspiration for her "monster".
This was a fantastic magical story. With small hints of Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and yet plenty of love and romance, it was the perfect spooky lite story for fall. This gothic love story is just so different from anything I have read before. I have read a few titles from this author and she always seems to take me on a new adventure that I have never experienced in a book. I look forward to more from this author.

I truly thank netgalley and the publisher for the ability to read and review this book. All opinions are my own.
Moving tale about a man who has an extreme form of neurofibromatosis in an age when even more charlatans than now were cruelly treating those who felt hopeless, his travel writer sister, and a former naval surgeon. Rather sad read.
I requested and received a free ebook copy from Barbour Publishing, Inc., Barbour Fiction via NetGalley.
I did find the story compelling and the characters likable especially Colin. In spite of his deformities or maybe because of them he is a complex character. His insights of himself and others were profound at times. His sister, Amelia and Surgeon Graham Lambert were certainly interesting characters especially as their relationship evolved. However they were no less broken than Colin. Even the late Mr. Balfour was intriguing in his controlling sort of way. Then Dr. Peckwood made the perfect villain in this story.

Sometimes the story was heavy handed on the God references especially from Amelia but her views seemed based on her cold harsh late father. Still for the time and setting as well as the dark tone of the book it works. Colin has a much more positive idea of the Bible and God, the Father which Amelia found too. I won’t say that I didn’t wish for a different conclusion especially for Colin. Yet it was all in all a gripping read.

The publisher through Net Galley provided a digital ARC. I have voluntarily decided to read and review, giving my personal opinions and thoughts.