Cover Image: Lost in Darkness

Lost in Darkness

I'll say this: Michelle Griep has an incredible talent to write. She can write for such a varied audience with characters that draw you in. I'll admit--I'm a Hallmark kind of girl. I like my cozy, happy ending stories. Lost in Darkness isn't one of those. I love redemption stories and this is quite that either. But is it well written? You can bet on it.

I love how Griep weaves the characters together with things outside of this book--things that the reader will be familiar with.

I did not find the "waiting" by our lead man at the end of the story to be realistic and I think that frustrated me. It didn't fit with who I'd grown to believe him to be.

Would I recommend this book to others? Yes, if they like this type of book. I rate this one a 3.8 star.
I wouldn't hesitate to pick up another Griep book to see if I liked it; Thief of Blackfriars Lane is still my favorite of hers.
This book was an emotional rollercoaster!  The characters were so well-drawn and fleshed out.  And the romance was a sensational slow-burn.  The reader was really able to connect to the characters and fall in love with them.  The ending had me in tears but I would definitely recommend this book to lovers of clean romances and even gothic romance.  I look forward to reading more from this author.
What a gripping story. I read it while I was sick, and it was a great way to pass the time. Though my brain wasn't working at top speed, I was still able to enjoy this book. The author did a great job at making me angry with the villain and in love with the hero and heroine, and the victim. Poor Colin. The ending was rather a relief. I was leery, for a long time, about reading this book, thinking it might be more of a horror story than I can get along with, but it didn't turn out as bad as I was afraid it might. I enjoyed seeing Amelia's spiritual growth through the course of the story, as well as Graham's. This author has not disappointed me yet!
I received a review copy of this book from NetGalley, and these are my honest thoughts about it.
Lost in Darkness is my favorite book of the year, so far! Wonderfully written characters, great pacing, and the nods to Mary Shelley's Frankenstein all combined for a moving, romantic, tragic, Gothic -is that enough adjectives? - a darn good book! Michelle Griep is at the top of her game here.

The heroine Amelia Balfour's brother, Colin, is a noble, tragic "monster," who becomes a willing victim of the true monster of the tale, a misguided surgeon. Luckily, Graham Lambert, an honorable, kindhearted, and generous surgeon is on hand. And everyone learns a lesson about reliance on God.
I enjoyed this book, it wasn't my absolute favorite book- but I enjoyed it. The author did a good job weaving the story, encouraging you to see people's hearts, instead of their outward appearance, and once again reminding us that we are all made by God for a reason. I love how she wove Mary Shelley into the story as well.
What a page turning novel!  It is a Gothic, regency era novel and had my attention from the first page.  The characters were well developed.  And the story moved at a decent pace.  At times it was quite intense.  I found myself wishing I could jump into the pages of the book to give the characters advice.
            Collin was born with deformities which made him very scary to those who didn’t know him. So he spent his life in hiding.  Now he had a doctor providing him hope that with surgery he could leave a normal life.  But could he trust the surgeon to do a surgery that no other doctor would deem as possible.
  	   Amelia was his sister who had run away from a cruel dad.  Now she had a chance to help her brother who she had left behind.  But she had her own dreams.  If he had the surgery, could she spare the time to take care of him even if it meant giving an opportunity to travel to a place she had only dreamed of?
           Lost in Darkness wasn’t my favorite genre.  In fact, I rarely read gothic novels.  But it gave me plenty to think about and kept me reading.  It reminded me how often we judge by appearance. And the one thing we all have in common is hope.  I received a copy of Lost in Darkness from NetGalley with no obligations.
This book is a gothic read that takes place in the England era of the 1800's.  Amelia has taken the responsibility of helping her malformed brother through a revolutionary surgery that turns into a drama situation.  When she finds herself in the middle of a nightmare to deal with she only has fear that the worse will happen.

I was not a fan of this type of book and had a hard time reading it.  If you like gothic and dark reads then this is your type of book.  It wasn't a bad read, just not enjoyable for my interest.  I would suggest that everyone that likes this type of book to check it out and make your own decisions.  If you like happy and light romance this book is not for you.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received a complimentary copy of this book from Celebrate Lit Books. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255, "Guides Concerning the Use of Testimonials and Endorsements in Advertising.
Lost in Darkness by Michelle Griep is a brilliantly written work of historical fiction. I have to admit that I have read so much historical fiction that I have grown a bit tired of it. However, this author’s historical fiction never fails to grip me. She brings history to life and never feels like the same repetitive historical story. Her characters have great depth and dialogue. Great read overall. I received a digital copy of this book from the publisher with no obligations. These opinions are entirely my own.
Lost in Darkness was an interesting read, and I loved the connections to Frankenstein it makes, especially with Mary Godwin Shelley being a character that Amelia befriends. I also enjoyed learning more about what the medical field would’ve have been like in 1815.

I enjoyed getting to know the characters throughout the book, except I disliked Dr. Peckwood a lot, especially with how he talks down to Amelia because she is a woman. However, I wish we could have explored more of his nefarious dealings. I felt like it was only touched on what he was doing, but I’d kind of would have liked some more explanation.

While I enjoyed Lost in Darkness, my only complaint is that it took a while to get to the plot that is described in the synopsis, and it only lasts for the last 50 pages, I would have liked to see more of what Colin was like after his surgery. However, I could also see why the author chose not to do so, and it gave him a lot more dignity too.

Overall, I really liked Lost in Darkness and the elements it has in it from Frankenstein. I highly recommend this for fans of Gothic literature and Frankenstein, as well as novels set in the Regency era. 3.5/5 Stars

*I received a copy of this book from the author and Celebrate Lit in exchange for my honest review.
Amelia Balfour is a travel writer who's called home upon the death of her father. She only returns home because of her brother Colin, where the pair find out their father has found a doctor with a revolutionary surgery that can help Colin with his deformity. Graham Lambert's reputation is tarnished since being dismissed from the Royal Navy. He joins the practice of surgeon Mr. Peckwood who is to treat Colin Balfour.

This was definitely an interesting read. I've never read Mary Shelley's Frankenstein but knew it was the inspiration for this story. Between the descriptions of the pre-surgery treatments for Colin, which sounded quite awful, and then the aftermath of the surgery I found this to be quite the suspenseful read. I felt so bad for Colin who just wanted to be accepted but scared everyone because of his deformity and scars. I wanted so badly for the surgery to help him and wasn't prepared for what happened after the surgery.

This is different than the previous books I've read by this author but as always, it was well written with characters that are multi-layered. I received a complimentary copy from Balbour Publishing via NetGalley. All opinions expressed in this review are my own.
Michelle Griep has written a good book with Lost in Darkness. It was a very interesting book, especially because it is influenced by Frankenstein. The book takes place in the Regency era and has a gothic twist.

The book was easy to follow and the characters were well described. The relationship between Graham and Amelia was also well written. It was also very interesting to read about Amelia's brother, Colin, who had to spend his whole life inside because people were disgusted with him.

If you like historical romance with some heavy topics, then this is definitely a book for you.

I voluntarily reviewed a copy of this book from the publisher through NetGalley. I was not required to write a positive review. All opinions are my own.
This book was really good! It definitely gave off some Gothic vibes. I've never read Frankenstein, but I could see the inspiration the author drew from it. I really enjoyed how Amelia and Graham's relationship grew and my heart broke for Colin and his struggles.
Amelia has a brother born with deformities. Their father is trying to ensure he changes and has invested in a surgeon who promises to do so. After his death It’s takes to Amelia to see it through and she encourages her brother. Graham has signed in with the surgeon in hopes of advancing his career as a doctor. He learns something isn’t right. I received a copy of this book from the publisher. All views stated are my own.
This was a great Halloween read. I love how it has the Frankenstein feel to it. I love the love store between Graham and Amelia. I also love how she was doing everything she could to help her brother. Such a great story very intriguing! Highly recommend l!
Travel writer Amelia Balfour’s dream of touring Egypt is halted when she receives news of a revolutionary new surgery for her grotesquely disfigured brother. This could change everything, and it does. . .in the worst possible way
Surgeon Graham Lambert has suspicions about the doctor he’s gone into practice with, but he can’t stop him from operating on Amelia’s brother. Will he be too late to prevent the man’s death? Or to reveal his true feelings for Amelia before she sails to Cairo?

My review: I found this book to be slow moving and dark.  I've read other books by Ms. Griep and enjoyed them.  This one not so much.

Amelia wants to travel Egypt but there's a new procedure her late father had discovered that might help him be able to live a normal life.  Graham wants to be part of a practice by he has reservations about the dr he's in practice with.

I was given this book by Barbour Books via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.  I was not compensated in any way.
I was very interested in a book that aimed to build on the legacy of Frankenstein and featured a few guest appearances of Mary Shelly. I adore gothic novels and love a good historical piece, so I thought this was for me. But there is quite a heavy dose of romance and faith in this book, which is not my thing in general. The novel felt oddly dated in its mentality and moral focus. I guess when I read a historical book written today, I expect a certain dose of today's attitudes and visions of the world to be transposed back.
I also had a problem with the main character I did not find very likable. The hero, who is supposed to be a smart travelled woman, lets herself be completely hoodwinked in a way I found particularly unrealistic and annoying. I did not understand the choice of making her a journalist if she didn't question things more, and I had trouble believing her love for her brother, the way she rushes him into a dangerous operation because it comes at an inconvenient time (even just 100 years ago medical operations were terrifying and people expected death more often than recovery - people rarely went into them willingly).
Many little details kept pulling me out and I wasn't very excited with the whole read. The themes are dark, but the style is light, fast paced and breezy, focusing on the the clean romance.
Not a book for me, but if you like historical romance set in 1800s England I guess this will be perfect for you.
Having read other books by Michelle Griep, I wasn't certain what to expect from this book.  It definitely was different than I was expecting.  It felt a bit dark as the characters were faced with heavy decisions of putting others before their own.  The struggle was very difficult between many of the characters as they faced an unusual situation.  I found myself cheering for what I thought was the best decision and hoping it would play out the way I imagined.  It was very thought provoking as I thought about what I would do in the shoes of the characters.

I would recommend this book.  I received a complimentary copy of this book. All opinions are my own and I was not required to leave a positive review.
Michelle Griep always delivers! She is one of the most capable writers I know of - to be able to continue writing in the same genre but keep each story unique.  Her stories are always fresh and exciting.
I loved the tie in of pre-Frankenstein Mary Shelley!
Amelia & Graham are wonderful characters.  Their struggles are relatable, and their relationship sweet.
With themes of forgiveness, overcoming the past, and learning to rely on God, this is a fabulous, fast-paced read.
I charge you with the guardianship of your brother, leastwise until the revolutionary surgery I have scheduled for him can be carried out. . . for at last Colin will be able to face the world as his own man.  I have arranged for him to arrive in Bristol by dark of night."

Lost In Darkness (2021, Barbour Fiction) by Michelle Griep is a standalone "Enchanting Regency-Era Gothic Romance Intertwined with Inspiration from Mary Shelley  Frankenstein," set in 1815's Bristol, England.  It was more "Enthralling" than "Enchanting."   But it's definitely Regency, definitely Gothic, definitely a romance, and yes, there's definitely a Frankenstein-esque character.

Rating: 4 stars

The heroine: Amelia Balfour has just been given the opportunity to go to Cairo to write a travel journal.  But it's time to fulfill her father's dying wish - to see her brother through a life-changing surgery by renowned surgeon Mr. Peckwood.

The heroine's brother:  Grace's brother, Colin Balfour, is a giant of a man, extremely tall, with a condition that causes a disfigured face.  Mr. Peckwood promised Colin's father that he would transform Colin Balfour's appearance.

The hero:  Graham Lambert is a doctor without enough resources to set up his own practice, so he seeks out Mr. Peckwood to propose a partnership.

Is it clean/chaste?  Yes.  But I would say that this book is for maybe ages 15 and up.  Two scenes were on the sensual side.  To calm a mentally ill patient, a doctor uses "animal magnetism." In the historical context, the phrase apparently means hypnotism.  But the way it's written in the story, it's conducted in a sensual way, which lent credence to my initial assumption that the doctor was trying to be seductive.  (From today's Collins dictionary, "Someone or something that has magnetism has unusual, powerful, and exciting qualities which attract people to them.")

Other content issues:

*Some violence - The doctor's treatment to Colin is, I believe, what amounts to electrocuting him.   It's shown once, briefly, written in a way that would not be overly distressing to most adults. There are a couple of other events within the book that are somewhat violent and/or disturbing, which again, causes me to limit my recommendation for this book for ages 15+.

*The heroine, a Christian, and yet superstitious, always carries her lucky feather around.  This issue is addressed at the end of the story.

*There were many exclamations of frustration and surprise, and in the words of Goodreads reviewer Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls),  "in today’s society, minor cursing or cussing would take its place."  For example, Thunderation! and other exclamations like it occur, especially throughout the second half of the book.

Christian elements:  This book is Christian fiction, with trust in God and some discussion about the nature of God woven throughout the story.  The main characters are very upright, morally. "He could jump off and embrace a free-falling lie. . . but the cost to his conscience would open a vein."

What I liked:  There were some very apt quotations from Mary Shelley's Frankenstein at the beginning of each chapter!

What I disliked:  The exclamations and two sensual scenes (see above)

Other Recommendation(s): The Captive Heart, a standalone by Ms. Griep based on Beauty and the Beast.

The bottom line:   This book is darker than  the author's usual stories  but I think it's still accessible for most people.  Just be prepared!  As always, I will be reading more of Ms. Griep's works.
Fans of classical literature and current fiction alike will love this retelling of "Frankenstein" by Michelle Griep. The story was woven so expertly to bring the story of Mary Shelley into the novel to establish a believable catalyst for her famous work that the reader almost believes the story of the Balfour siblings really existed. As a reader, you are delighted in the strong heroine, her gentle-souled giant of a brother, and the reluctant hero who all play against a dastardly villain hiding under the mask of progress to serve his own twisted needs.

In a work that is equal parts romantic and tragic one can examine deeper into the question posed by Shelley in her original work, 'who was really the monster in the story?' This is definitely a must read and earns every single one of the five stars from this reader's rating!