Cover Image: Lost in Darkness

Lost in Darkness

My thanks to Michelle Griep, Barbour Publishing and Net Galley for the ARC of LOST IN DARKNESS.
This is so reminiscent of Mary Shelley's FRANKENSTEIN , and she has a part to play in this wonderful novel when she becomes a friend and neighbour of Amelia Balfour and her brother, Colin, who broke my heart because he was such a kind and loving character. Colin had been grotesquely disfigured since birth. When their father's will is read, he states that he wishes for his son to be treated by a doctor with some questionable techniques and who is under suspicion by the young doctor who works with him, Graham Lambert. I would have loved a different ending because I'm a romantic, but the denouement was the correct one. A superb novel.
Have you ever wondered how authors create their stories? Where their ideas originate from?

In Michelle Griep’s Lost in Darkness, the possible story behind Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein is told. This gothic novel retells how a doctor, determined to be “on the cutting edge” of science, goes to extreme lengths to prove his new method of treatment; without the regard to the affects his patients may have.

I have loved all of Michelle’s previous books. This one is written differently that her others. There is romance, but it focuses more on the gothic aspect of the writing of Shelley’s time. It was different than my usual, and I recommend it during Halloween. 😆 Be sure to have tissues on hand as you read!
“Only God heals the past, but I have learned that kindness makes the present all the sweeter.”

I have to admit that I was rather hesitant to request Lost in Darkness by Michelle Griep when it first became available. The title alone told me that there would be a decent chance that this book was not going to suit my taste. I don’t like dark stories or creepy things. And when I found out it was inspired by Frankenstein, my reluctance only increased. So, there wasn’t much going for this one at all…except for the fact that Michelle Griep wrote it. I’ve absolutely loved a number of her other books, and her writing style is absolutely beautiful. If anyone was going to pull this one off, it would be her (also, the cover is just gorgeous)! And so I requested it. Do I regret that decision? Certainly not! I definitely enjoyed this regency tale of heartache and healing.

While it explored the shadier side of the medical studies of that era, it never once become creepy or unnecessarily dark. The faith element was incredibly well executed and provided an excellent counter to the more sombre aspects of the plot.

I found that while I really did enjoy this book, I think its genre is probably not for me. I wasn’t hugely fond of the fact that the suspense was mostly mixed up in the drama and foreboding, rather than in any particular action or mystery. It felt like there was just too much waiting for something to happen, and not enough actually happening. I’m sure many readers who enjoy gothic novels will enjoy this aspect, though.

Also, I didn’t really like the historic medical aspects. Ironic coming from someone who plans on studying medicine while writing historical novels, I know, but it’s the darker side of medicine’s history that I wasn’t too fond of. And yes, I was expecting that to be a prominent part of the story considering the title of the book, the genre, and the blurb, so I can’t exactly complain. It didn’t overtake the plot or ruin my reading experience at all, and I’m sure those who find that part of history fascinating will love this aspect of the story, for it was clearly well-researched and handled skilfully.

As for the characters, Amelia and Graham were well-written and endearing, and I appreciated their individual struggles and triumphs, as well as their sweet love story, but I battled to connect with either of them. It was Colin who really stole the show in my eyes. His outlook on life despite his heart-rending past—and present—really touched me. I think that was one of the highlights of this book for me.

I’d recommend it to fans of Julie Klassen, Abigail Wilson, and Regency Romance in general.

(Note: I received a copy of this book through Celebrate Lit Tours. All opinions expressed are entirely my own.)
Griep's novels are always entertaining to me, and her historical detail is incredible. So when she has a new book available, it immediately goes on my list of books to read. This latest story is no exception, and I devoured it quickly, never putting it down for long.

History has always fascinated me, and the details included in this book held me captive. Colin's condition, more so the reaction others had to him, was heartbreaking. The medical treatments and scientific advances were interesting, even though they seemed barbaric to my modern sensibilities. It helps that these characters are fictional, even though I know similar experiments and procedures did happen to real people in the past.

The spiritual content was solid. The main characters both have some false beliefs to overcome, but by the end of the novel, others have helped them find their way to a surer faith that will help them through any difficulties. The author doesn't shy away from showing how these beliefs hurt them before they adjust their thinking, and I appreciated the growth we get to see in the characters throughout the book.

This is by no means a light, fluffy read. It is difficult on many levels, including strained family relationships where love is withheld based on performance or appearance, in a time when how a family looked meant much. They make difficult choices, ones the reader likely won't agree with any more than I did, yet turning away is not a viable option, even while we fear for characters we can't help but care for.

For fans of the Regency, this book should not be missed! The research and details are beautiful, and the difficult subject matter was impactful and hope filled, yet remained realistic, never taking a cliched turn to avoid pain. I highly recommend it for those who enjoy suspenseful tales or those that resist endings too neat and tidy. This is a satisfying book that uplifts, though it does not varnish difficult realities.

I received a review copy through Celebrate Lit but was not required to write a positive review. The opinions expressed are both honest and my own.
Monster or man? The legend starts here...

It's gotten to the point over the last couple of years or so, that if I see Michelle Griep's name on the cover I have to read the book. No questions asked, no reading the back cover blurb to decide. Just automatic pick it up and start reading. That's how it was with Lost In Darkness. I didn't even have to read the synopsis to know that it would be a good book and that I'd really enjoy it. No way did I have any idea what I was in for...

Michelle Griep is well known for her historical fiction that blends perfectly with the romantic suspense and Gothic threads and overtones. Leaning much more on the Gothic end of the spectrum, Lost In Darkness is everything that a Christian Gothic Romance should be. Creepy, dark, eerie, haunting, and full of intrigue, betrayal, and mystery. It's riveting, page-turning, and completely engrossing.

Lost In Darkness takes on the fictional origins of arguably of one of the 2 or 3 most famous horror novels ever, in this case Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. But as her characters face uncertainty and fear, rejection ad grief, Michelle Griep also takes them, and her readers, through that darkness on a journey of faith towards that indomitable spark that we call hope.

I can definitely tell you that Lost In Darkness is by far one of Michelle Griep's best books to date. I enjoyed it and could hardly put it down. I had an almost morbid fascination to find out what would happen and whether the seemingly inevitable end would come about as I expected it to...I won't tell you if it did, you'll just have to read this book and find out for yourself...

(I received a copy of this book from the publisher. All opinions are entirely my own.)
Amelia Balfour has the opportunity to travel to Egypt but first she must oversee an operation on her brother, Colin, who is badly disfigured.  Will an operation be able to help her brother?  Is the doctor doing the surgery competent to do what he promises?  A very good faith filled story mixed with a little Frankenstein, and some romance.  I enjoyed this story from Michelle Griep.  I was not sure which direction the story would take.
Lost in Darkness is a fantastic book! With a Frankenstein-esque feel, romance, family loyalty, and faith Michelle Griep writes a wonderfully unique tale. Graham and Amelia are great characters, but Colin steals the show. For a faith-filled yet gothic tinged story, I can’t recommend Lost in Darkness enough!
Michelle's books are hit or miss for me hear lately and this one was a miss. The story itself was good but to me it was too dark. But I knew that going in, I guess it just this time of year I don't want something too dark and heavy.  But die hard fans of Michelle's books will love this one. And while I didn't love it,  I don't regret reading nor will it keep me from picking up Michelle's next book.
It’s the summer of 1815, and Amelia Balfour learns not only of her father’s death, but also that she is now responsible for her younger brother, Colin. Furthermore, her father has arranged for a surgeon to undertake a never performed procedure on her brother. Initially, she’s all for it while Colin is reluctant but eventually comes around. Meanwhile, the surgeon’s younger partner has his own suspicions but doesn’t want to alarm the siblings.

Lost in Darkness is a true gothic romance set in Bristol during the Regency era. It leans heavily on Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein and includes Mary as a neighbor of the Balfour family who is partially inspired by the stories surrounding Colin. While Shelley’s Frankenstein is an obvious influence, I also saw in Colin a resemblance to Joseph Merrick the so-called Elephant Man of the late 19th century. The horrifying surgeon, meanwhile, reminded me of Digory’s Uncle Andrew in CS Lewis’s The Magician’s Nephew.

The romance, thankfully for this reader, is not overwhelming. I was more interested in the gothic nature of the tale, and the feeling the siblings had of being watched. Why did they keep finding small toys in a house without children? Who is the strange neighbor not Mary) reaching out to Amelia? This is a tale that will leave readers as it did me: breathless until the very end.

<i>Disclaimer: Although I received an electronic advanced reader copy of this book from the publisher via NetGalley, the opinions above are my own.</i>
As much as we claim that certain things are not important, they are in a way part of who we are and make up a greater part of our relationship with the people around us. Looks for example.
This book takes on the challenge of trying to answer that question do looks really matter and also deals with the issues of mental health and does so delicately but also with enough truth to understand.
Both Amelia and Graham are dealing with issues respectively that seem to hold them back. She's put her life on hold for Colin and he's weary and just wants a fresh start. There's love bleeding through the pages of this book and darkness that will soon be overcome by light as they learn that although people judge by what they see on the outside it's who God says you are that truly matters.
I received a complimentary copy of this book from the author. All opinions expressed are solely mine
Lost in Darkness
by Michelle Griep
Pub Date 01 Nov 2021 |
 Barbour Publishing, Inc.,  Barbour Fiction
 Christian  |  Historical Fiction  |  Mystery & Thrillers

I am reviewing a copy of Lost in Darkness through Barbour Publishing, Inc, Barbour Fiction:

Amelia Balfour’s a travel writer who dreams of touring Egypt is halted when she receives news of a revolutionary new surgery for her grotesquely disfigured brother. This could change everything, and it does in the worst possible way.

Graham Lambert Is a surgeon who has suspicions of the doctor  he’s gone into practice with, but he can’t stop him from operating on Amelia’s brother. Will he be too late to prevent the man’s death? Or to reveal his true feelings for Amelia before she sails to Cairo?

I give Lost In Darkness Five out of five stars!
I am one of those weird people that enjoyed the story of Frankenstein when I was in High School but this rendition of the story was spectacular. She has turned it into a fantastic Gothic tale that keeps you engaged the entire time. The characters were superb. They were all different but all contributed to the story in a great way. The way the author weaves the element of faith and hope throughout this story had me in awe. I definitely cannot give it enough praise. I won't tell you the story because you have to read it but there is even a surprise appearance that completely tied the book for me.

The book was completely different than any other Michelle Griep story I have read but it was good to see this different style of writing from her. I will also say that this is not your happy go lucky story but neither was Frankenstein which if you have read you will immediately know this. I know some people may not like this book because it is so different from what they are used to from this author but I look forward to reading whatever she writes very soon. If you are fan of Gothic style type books you will definitely enjoy this one!

I received a copy of this book from the publisher. I was not required to post a positive review. All views expressed are only my honest opinion.
This book I have been waiting with great anticipation since I saw that beautiful cover. I know that you should not judge a book by its cover, but if I didn't already know the author's writing, I would have picked it up in an instant.

And this story delivered with an engrossing tale of a brother and sister who are reeling from their father's unexpected death. A father who really wasn't a good father, who was reeling after their mother's death. A broken family to be sure who is trying to live the rest of their lives with the many shards of their brokenness.

And Colin, Amelia's younger brother, also suffers from a disfiguring disease that has made him grow in what many people would call a grotesque monster. On top of that he suffered an accident that did not help his appearance, so he was just trying to live his life in seclusion. I like that we got his point of view as well as his sister's and the doctor Graham Lambert's who is helping to treat him. Colin had a wonderful heart and a beautiful soul that if others looked past his appearance would find a true and genuine friend.

Amelia is charged with caring for her brother, and she loves him dearly. She is also running to every sort of adventure she can find in her travels to escape the prison she is in. She was a woman in the early 1800's dealing with broken familial relations and just trying to escape. I felt for her and all the pressure she was under.

Graham was the knight in shining armor with some armor that needed polishing. He blames himself for his past and has a heart for the poor and sick whom he desperately tries to help and save whether they will accept the help or even if they cannot pay. He sees in the Balfour sibling's true kinship and friendship and possible love with Amelia. His protective instincts kick in now and again with Amelia but also with Colin.

Now the doctor he partners with is a strange man with even stranger ideas.  He is creepy and his secret dealings and hidden agendas is something that Graham feels immense alarm. A couple of descriptions makes one wonder if he is the true monster in this story.

There was an ominous feeling throughout this story. Strange stirrings were happening in and around their home. And their neighbors were an interesting bunch as well.

I look forward to every book by author Griep and this one with its foreboding title, gothic feel, "monsters", and beautiful cover was a joy to read.

I received a copy of this novel from the publisher. I was not required to post a positive review and all views and opinions are my own.
It's not every day I get a chance to read a story like this. With Frankenstein as an inspiration and Michelle Griep's amazing prose, I knew from the very beginning that Lost in Darkness would be a book that I could not turn down. I was absolutely amazed by this tale. From her deep insights into human nature and our need to be loved, to Amelia's striving to gain perfection, this book took me on a journey that I'll be thinking about for years. It's one of the few stories I wish I could forget so that I'd have the pleasure of reading it for the first time all over again. The gothic vibe lent itself well to the story, and though it has the darkness of a chilling tale, there is hope and love evident throughout. I received a copy of this book from Celebrate Lit. I was not required to leave a positive review. All thoughts and opinions expressed are my own.
“We all have monsters within. Is it not time you slay this particular dragon?”

Wow, Michelle Griep brings more Gothic elements into this book than in her previous books and it is chillingly delicious. Set in Regency England, the backdrop is eerie and mysterious, the characters are surprisingly refreshing and delightful, and the faith lessons woven throughout the story are so applicable. Loosely based on Frankenstein, the plot involves a sister desperate to help her younger brother overcome a medical condition to fit into society and a former navy surgeon trapped in a professional partnership that he is regretting. What I wasn’t expecting was the point of view from the malformed brother, who has a heart of gold and unswerving loyalty, and a faith that bolsters hope and imparts wisdom. The sibling love is palpable, the regret and remorse and shattering loneliness felt by the characters are heartbreaking, and the villains are human at heart. This is a historical fiction that has it all - suspense, mystery, romance, heartfelt emotion and medical history in 1815 England.

I received the book via Celebrate Lit Tours and was under no obligation to post a positive comment. All opinions are solely my own.
Beautifully written and fascinating, Michelle Griep’s Lost in Darkness tells the tale of what could have been the inspiration for Mary Shelley’s Frankenstein.

Travel writer Amelia Balfour reluctantly agrees to return to her childhood home after her father’s passing to support her younger brother as he considers undergoing life-changing surgery. Colin has acromegaly- a growth condition complicated by a severe facial burn he suffered as a child. He hides himself away because as a gentle, loving, giant of a man, scaring people is something he wishes to avoid at all costs. Promising restoration to society, a respected surgeon pushes for Colin and Amelia to honor their father’s wish that Colin undergo a radical procedure.

Former naval surgeon Graham Lambert feels a rush of success when he convinces well-respected Mr. Peckwood to accept him as a partner in his surgical practice. But just what does the doctor think he can do to magically cure Colin Balfour? As Graham grows increasingly alarmed by Peckwood’s methods, he does all that he can to support Colin, who is quickly becoming a friend, and Amelia, who has started to capture his heart.

I loved Colin’s character and I enjoyed watching the romance develop between Amelia and Graham. All the happy things were definitely my favorite parts, including the interactions between Colin and Nemo. Mr. Peckwood unsettled me. He was manipulative and simply awful. It made me so grateful for all the laws today that protect people from such treatment! I was intrigued by all the medical information in the novel and learned a lot. Definitely with a gothic feel, it felt like the perfect novel to read on a rainy evening under a blanket. The story was well-written and enthralling, although not the book to read if you’re looking for something light with a happy ending.

I received a complementary copy of this novel from the publisher and Netgalley. My opinions are my own.
From the moment I saw the name “Mary Shelly” in the description, I knew I had to read Lost in Darkness.

When I first read Frankenstein back in high school, I knew that the poor monster had to be more than just an evil combination of some mad man desperate for solutions. Michelle Griep gave me the satisfaction of seeing what that might have looked like.

The poor Belfour family had endured more than enough, but then they are subject to the abuse of the true monster. I couldn’t help but wonder what Amilia and Colin’s father might have known that the mad doctor wasn’t as genius as he let on. Since it is fiction, I guess we will never know.

One character had a front row seat to the madness and was more than caught between a rock and a hard place. He was bound by commitment to his boss but the bond with the Belfour family just couldn’t seem to strengthen fast enough. I was more upset with him than Amilia was, in my opinion.

I was entranced in this story and couldn’t seem to put it down. It was chilling, heart breaking, and captivating —I couldn’t get enough. Of course, Michelle Griep is one of my favorite gothic writers.

***I was given a copy of this book from the publisher through CelebrateLit. Opinions are my own and a positive view was not required
This was a fascinating regency era tale with some Frankenstein elements (including an appearance or two of Mary Shelley herself!). This book follows Amelia Balfour, a travel writer making her way in a man's world - just after her father dies. His final wish was that she would oversee a revolutionary surgery for her brother to make him more "normal". Her brother Collin had my heart from the get-go. His kind nature and trust in God even when people treated him as a monster was so wonderful. I also adored Graham Lambert, the assistant surgeon for Collin's procedure. The romance between Graham and Amelia was sweet and the story line and character development was wonderful. This book also had some great spiritual depth as well. There were elements of humor, of sorrow, of good and evil, and a solid faith thread. There was a great deal of mystery surrounding the story as well as a sweet romance. All in all, it had all of the makings of a great book! I would recommend this one to fans of historical novels and to anyone who enjoyed Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. Special thanks to Barbour Publishing and Netgalley for an e-copy of this book. I was under no obligation to provide a review and the thoughts contained herein are my own.
Add another Michelle Griep book to my "most likely to re-read" pile.  😊

5 stars

This book had everything that I've been missing for a while now:  an engaging storyline that kept a pretty good pace, and wonderful characters that I truly came to care for (bawled like a baby at the end).  I was at least a quarter of the way in before realizing this was a re-telling of "Frankenstein."  Looking forward to reading more of the books that will be coming out in this series.

Thanks to NetGalley, the author, and the publisher for this ARC in exchange for an honest review.
I really liked the overall story. It was so sad, sweet and startling at times. I love Michelle’s stories, but this one was a little harder for me as it seemed to take a while to get to the main story. I did feel like her character development was strong and appreciated that I knew the characters and how they felt at any given moment. The ending is definitely not what I had expected so she got me there! A good read overall!