Cover Image: The Silent Mother

The Silent Mother

The Silent Mother by Liz Lawler has kept me hooked the last few days. After work and chores and all I would just wait to read this and everyday I felt I left it at a cliffhanger. The urge to know more made me continue.

The Blurb lays down the premise of the story well. This is the story of a mother and her journey to prove her son's innocence. A very strong emotional premise. The plot is very strong with many characters and each adding a layer to the story.

The relationships depicted in the story were so heartwarming, these include of sisters, neighbours, coworkers .....all of these lent a relatability to the story.

Although I found the story to be a bit long and I felt we could have done away with a few things, but in hindsight every character had a role to play and every character revealed a facet which all added up to the story. Although it was not so much about who dunnit but more about what and how of the son's death.
I loved Dr Bennet, a very strong graceful lady living life on her terms and also fighting for what she feels right.

If you love suspenseful stories that have a lot of layers or sidestories and a slow burn kind of feeling then you will definitely enjoy this book.

I thank Bookouture and Netgalley foran eARC and the opinions expressed are entirely mine
Great author so I was looking forward to this one. 5 stars, throughly recommend. Fast paced and great thriller
The Silent Mother by Liz Lawler is another addictive read from this author, and I was fully engaged from beginning to end.  I did find this to be a bit more of a slow burn than would normally appeal to me, but the ultimate payoff is well worth the extra pages.

Ruth receives word from her son Thomas, a newly qualified doctor, that he is due in court the following day and would appreciate his mother's support.  But when she arrives on the day, still in the dark about the nature of the charges that Thomas is facing, she learns that the unthinkable has happened.  Her son has been found dead, presumably by suicide.  Her life shattered, Ruth begins her own investigation into what has led to this shocking series of events.

This is a compelling novel that speaks to a mother's devotion to her son, and the lengths to which we will go for those we love.

Many thanks to NetGalley and Bookouture for an ARC.
Thank you to NetGalley, Bookouture and Liz Lawler for the free e-book in exchange for an honest review.

I have always been a fan of Lawler's work and this one is no different. I enjoyed the premise of this novel and I always really enjoy when a family member decides to solve the crime. I enjoyed most of the characters and most of them were quite unique, but all hiding something of course. The twists were unique and I hadn't seen them coming even though I had guessed who the culprit was by the halfway point. The reveal was still great.
“Your child is dead…Are you next?…”

I can’t even begin to imagine what it would feel like as a parent to lose a child. The pain so unbearable, how do you find the strength to go on? This is the situation our lead Ruth finds herself in after her beloved son Thomas is found dead in an apparent suicide. But there is so much more to this story, when Ruth receives an anonymous letter telling her that Thomas’ death was no accident.

The Silent Mother is a tale of love, loss and how one deals with grief. My heart ached for Ruth as she went in search of the truth about Thomas’ death, even at the risk of her own life. She has been created and portrayed so realistically, you can feel every emotion that emanates off her. I was mentally exhausted after reading this going through everything exactly as Ruth does.

My second book by Liz, I throughly enjoy her style, how engaging her writing is and although I did find that this tale moves at a slightly slower pace, most importantly it still held my interest from begInning to end. A twisty psychological thriller, this is a very enjoyable read and I will be looking forward to reading what Liz comes up with for us next.

Thank you to Liz Lawler, Bookouture and NetGalley for allowing me to read an advanced copy of The Silent Mother, which I have reviewed honestly and voluntarily.
Ruth gets a voicemail from her son, saying that he is due in court tomorrow and asking her to come and support him. On her arrival at the court, Ruth is told that her son is dead and that he has killed himself. The story then follows Ruth as she tries to prove her son's innocence with a few twists and turns along the way.

I thought that the premise of this book was very good, and different to most other books in this genre. The first half kept me gripped and I couldn't read it quick enough but, for some reason, this faded in the second half of the book. I'm not entirely sure why, but my interest just dwindled. It was a real shame as I liked the characters and I wanted to see Ruth succeed.

Overall, the book was well written and I did enjoy the story.
My thanks to NetGalley and the publisher for sending me an ARC in return for an honest review.
Ruth was taken by surprise by her son and the shock of getting to know why she was needed at Court was readily  changed for a relentless need to learn the truth and clean her son's name. Her life was shattered, she had lost the most important thing, her son, and she could not believe he had done what they were accusing him of. She knew his values, the way he valued life, the way he wanted to help people - he could not be the monster everyone seemed to believe he was, and she could not believe he had taken his own life. Ruth slowly starts to uncover leads and pursues them, but she was never prepared to learn what had really happened and who the perpetrator was. The motives that lead to her son's death were so futile! The story has an unexpected ending and again proves that sometimes second chances are given in life.
A good plot, well written and very  entertaining!
Thank you to NetGalley for giving me the opportunity to read this book.

This book centres around Dr Ruth Bennett. She receives a voicemail from her son, Thomas, who is also a doctor. He explains he was arrested, and is due to attend court the following day for sentencing after pleading guilty. He asks her to come and support him. She arrives that night, and turns up at court the following morning for the hearing. She finds out from Thomas’ barrister that he’s pleaded guilty for stealing medicine from the hospital. Ruth is aghast, and overwhelmed. But those feelings soon change when Thomas is late for court and found dead in his flat. Ruth then goes on a mission to prover her son innocent, and find out the truth of what really happened.

The writing was excellent throughout, and flowed really well. The story was clever, and I still wasn’t 100% who was guilty until nearer the end of the book. The characters were ok, my favourite by far was Pauline and her potty mouth, she was really authentic. Overall, another good, solid read from this author.
BLOG TOUR REVIEW

Review for 'The Silent Mother' by Liz Lawler.

Read and reviewed via NetGalley for Liz Lawler, Bookouture publishers and Bookouture anonymous

Publication date 8th October 2021.

This is the second book I have read by this author. I have previously read 'The Next Wife' which I would also recommend.

I was originally drawn to this book by its  eye catching cover and its intriguing synopsis and title.  I am a huge fan of Liz and if this is half as good as 'The Next Wife'  it is sure to be a page turning read. I must admit I was also biased due to the publisher being Bookouture. I have yet to read a book published by Bookouture  that I haven't enjoyed. Hopefully this won't be the first... Watch this space! (Written before I started reading the book).

This novel consists of 59 chapters. The chapters medium in length so possible to read 'just one more chapter' before bed...OK, I know yeah right, but still just in case!

This book is based in the England 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿 , UK 🇬🇧 The bonus for me of books that are partly or fully based in the UK is that I live in the UK and have sometimes visited places mentioned in the book which makes it easier to picture. I have actually been on holidays and had many trips to England so it will help me picture everything.

This book is written in third person perspective with the main protagonists being Ruth and Rosie. The benefits of third person perspective with multiple perspectives are that it let's you see the bigger picture of what's going on and you get to know more characters more, what they are thinking and what they are doing. It feels like you get to see the whole picture and not miss out in anything.

WOW!!!! WHAT DID I JUST READ?!?!? STILL IN ABSOLUTE SHOCK!!! I DID NOT SEE THAT ONE COMING!!

This book is extremely well written and the fantastic descriptions definitely add to the dark atmosphere. The synopsis and the cover worked very well with the plot. I am most definitely looking forward to reading more books by this very talented author.

The storyline is extremely compelling and addictive as well as very dark. It was gripping from the beginning and throughout completely page turning and nail biting. It is most definitely a roller-coaster ride of emotions from tension, suspense to genuine shock . There were moments where I was relived, shocked and at all times I was on the edge of my seat. I was not expecting the end at all which is always a bonus for me as its getting harder and harder to shock me!! The characters all played their roles very well. It's quite hard to review the characters too much without giving much away. Each character was strong and realistic and I became completely invested in them.

Well done Liz on yet another page turning psychological thriller!!! This is why you are one of my favourite authors!!! Here's to many more successes 🥂!!!

Overall a totally gripping, addictive and chilling psychological thriller with a twist you won’t see coming

Genres covered in this novel include Thriller, Mystery, Suspense, Psychological Thriller, Noir Fiction, Psychological Fiction, Domestic Fiction, Medical Fiction, Medical Thriller and Crime Fiction amongst others.

I would recommend this book to the fans of the above as well as fans of Angela Marsons, Carol Wyer, CL Taylor, Tess Gerritson and anyone looking for an epic read.

407 pages.

This book is just 99p to purchase on kindle via Amazon which I think is an absolute bargain for this book!!!

Rated 5 /5 (I LOVED it ) on Goodreads, Instagram, Amazon UK and Amazon US and on over 30 Facebook pages plus my blog on Facebook.

Feel free to add me on Goodreads or follow me on my website or Facebook for more reviews

#TheSilentMother  #Bookouture  #LizLawler #NetGalley #BookReview #BlogTour #BooksOnTour
@LizLawler @Bookouture @Bookworm1986 @bookworm86

This was a gripping thriller of a read from Lawler. Straight from the start, the storyline is laced with intrigue and unanswered questions – Why was Tom due in court? What led to his death? What secrets are being kept and by whom? All of which his mother, Ruth, is determined to find the answers to.

The character of Ruth was very well written, with her mixture of anger, grief and determination to clear her sons name. The storyline itself had just the right amount of twists and turns to keep the reader engaged throughout.
As thrillers writers go, Liz Lawler is up there with the best.

Highly recommend this tile.

Many thanks to Liz Lawler, Bookouture and NetGalley for the review copy.
Dr Ruth Bennett is a mother whose doctor son Thomas is accused of stealing drugs from the hospital he works.  Before Thomas can attend his trial in the hopes of clearing his name he is found dead in the bath.. His mother Ruth distraught as she is is absolutely determined to clear Thomas’ name and so she moves to the town Thomas lived - she moves into her son's apartment and starts to look into matters herself.
This was a great story of how far a mother would go for her son - a good thriller.
‘I’m so very sorry. But your son is dead.’ How can a mother cope after hearing those words ?

Ruth Bennett, a doctor and mother, receives a message from her son, Thomas, stating he is in court tomorrow, and can she please come.  Of course she goes but when she arrives her son is no where to be seen.  Soon a message is received that Thomas has taken his own life.  How has this happened ? What was he in court for ?

Ruth soon discovers her son was accused of stealing drugs from the hospital he was working in and had pleaded guilty.  Surely it can’t be true ? Ruth knew her son and he would t have done this ?

Deciding that she can’t accept her son was guilty Ruth decides to move to her son’s flat and do some detective work herself.  She soon uncovers bits of information that reveal not everything is as it seems.

This was a great story with plenty of twists and turns to keep you fully engaged in the story.  I really liked Ruth and felt as if I was on her journey of discovery with her.

Thank you to Bookouture and NetGalley for a digital copy of this book.
The Silent Mother by Liz Lawler

I Enjoyed this book very much

Dr Ruth Bennett is a mother whose doctor son, Thomas is accused of stealing drugs from the hospital he works in but before Thomas can attend a trial, he is found dead in his bathtub. Ruth is determined to clear Thomas’ name. Ruth moves to the town Thomas lived in, moves into his apartment and starts her own investigation.

I enjoyed this book very much. I loved all the characters and I could easily relate to someone who would do anything to help a child in need, especially if this child is your own son. I can see Ruth would go far and beyond to help her son just like any mother would

I would like to thank Net Galley and Bookouture for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review
This was a good read.

It's a slow burner but that didn't really take anything away from the story.

The suspense and tension were there from the start and just increased the further you went into the story.

Highly recommend
'The Silent Mother' by Liz Lawler is a psychological thriller that I was so looking forward to reading. Liz Lawler is an excellent author, I have read previous books by her and always loved them, I never even considered that I wouldn't enjoy 'The Silent Mother'.
Ruth Bennett is a G.P who lives in Bath. She receives a text from Thomas her son, asking for her support the next day as he is due in court. Ruth goes to the courts, not knowing exactly what Thomas is in court for and receives a shock when his barrister tells her why. Thomas is a no show in court so the police go to his flat and discover him dead, first impressions being he has taken his own life. Ruth won't accept he has killed himself or that he has done the things he is being accused of, but can she find proof to clear his name?
 Set in Bournemouth this is the story of a Mother's relationship with her son. Liz Lawler has handled the issue of grief with such sensitivity and created the character of Ruth so well. I could sense her hurt, frustration, love and anger for Thomas at every turn in the story as she fights her case to clear his name.
 Liz Lawler has brilliantly created a chilling thriller that has you second guessing everything. The pacing of 'The Silent Mother' is perfect and  I appreciated the red herrings and twists to the story which helped the tension build rather nicely too. Every character played their own part in the story with each one unique in their own way, which made me feel like they could have been real and I could have been with them while reading this book.
  An author I do highly recommend if you live a twisty, tense and rather chilling psychological thriller.
  Thank you to Bookouture and Netgalley for my place on the tour and the copy of this excellent book.
4.5 Stars

A spine-chilling thriller that will keep readers up all night, Liz Lawler’s The Silent Mother is a tense and terrifying tale that is hard to put down.

When Ruth gets the news every parent dreads, her world is shattered into a million tiny pieces. Her beloved son Tom has died and Ruth is naturally inconsolable. Grief-stricken, dejected and heart-broken, Ruth cannot bear the thought that she will never see her dear boy again or that she will never hold him close. She doesn’t think that there could be anything worse than your child dying, but there is another shock in store for her: an anonymous letter claiming that Tom’s death was not an accident. Should Ruth dismiss it as a cruel practical joke by somebody with a sick mind? Or could there be some truth to this letter?

Tom’s death makes absolutely no sense. He had just qualified as a doctor, had a bright future ahead of him and a great social life. Something clearly does not add up here and as Ruth begin to look into Tom’s death, she uncovers shocking secrets that force her to believe that the anonymous letter she had received might actually be true. But is Ruth just clinging on to false hope? Or did someone cruelly murder her son?

With Tom’s girlfriend having kept her pregnancy a secret, his best friend betraying him and his shifty neighbours, Ruth wonders whether his murderer could have been someone he knew and trusted. But Ruth is getting far too close to the truth – and the killer now has her in his sights.

A nerve-twisting and heart-clenching thriller that is dark, disturbing and addictive, The Silent Mother is a creepy page-turner full of shocking surprises that will keep readers gripped all through the night. Liz Lawler knows how to explore her characters’ psyches and the darkness within and in The Silent Mother will make readers jump out of their skin as they go on a sinister journey where they will be barely able to catch their breath.

A masterclass in domestic nor, Liz Lawler’s The Silent Mother is a thriller readers will not want to miss.
This book by Liz Lawler is a dark domestic thriller with the themes of grief and loss.

The Silent Mother really packs a punch with its twists and misdirections. Ruth Bennett is a doctor and the mother of Thomas, also a doctor. She receives a call from him advising her he is appearing in the crown court in Bournemouth and needs some moral support. Ruth arrives and Thomas's solicitor, Christine Pelham and barrister, Jacob Cadell inform her that Thomas will be sentenced. When her son doesn't turn up Ruth rings him but there's no answer. Then Jacob delivers the news that Thomas has taken his own life...

In some clever narration, Liz Lawler does a first-class job portraying the chilling aspects of the story and I soon found myself pondering and questioning all sorts. The plot and storyline were excellent and I was impressed by Liz Lawler’s style of writing which was perfectly paced. This thrilling book was full of twists and a few red herrings and the assemblage of characters all told their stories, with some of them conflicting. The ending was a humdinger! This is my second book by this talented author and I will be reading more from her. An electrifying psychological thriller that I highly recommend.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel from Bookouture via NetGalley at my request and this review is my own unbiased opinion.
This was an average book for me , a bit long and drawn out in the middle . No surprises with the ending really .Only 3 starts from me I’m afraid
If I say that I did not like this story, I would be lying. The plot of the book is a very interesting one and an unfamiliar one, at least to me. I have read books about mother looking for answers after the disappearance or sudden death of their child. What I have not read yet, until now, is a mother and professional in the healthcare area, with a good relationship with her son, seemly unaware of the hardships her son is enduruing and she comes to find out when the worst already happen.

That is the story of Ruth Bennet. She receives a voicemail from her son Thomas DeLuca, asking her to please visit him because he is meant to show up at court to be sentenced. He tells her to not worry, that non of it is true but he has been accused of stealing drugs from the hospital. You see, Tom is newly qualified doctor. Dr. Bennet leaves everything and shows up at the court as expected and sits to wait for her son. He never comes… His lawyer gives her the terrible news, that her son Tom was found earlier in the morning and that unfortunately he has died.

To say that Ruth Bennet was heartbroken it doesn’t do justice to what this mother was feeling.

Four months later she receives a letter asking her to please go back to the town where everything happened and to please undo what it has been done. Basically asking her to uncover the truth about Tom’s sudden death. Ruth gave it a lot of thought and some things just didn’t match. No one asked too many questions, only the police, and they obviously asked the pertinent questions to be able to make the arrest.

Ruth goes back to the town and she was not ready for everything she uncovered trying to clear her son’s name.

What I love the most about this story is seeing what a desperate mother is willing to do to protect her own, in this case the memory of Tom. In her heart she knew that Tom was innocent. What the police was telling her did not fit in what she already knew. What his coworkers were telling her was also a different story. Too many different point of views of the same person, you can say that Ruth was beginning to get a very clear picture of what was Tom’s true personality and character.

The things she was willing to do, putting herself and career in danger because she just needed to know the truth. WOW. Bravo. It takes more than love and courage.

There is also another point of view in the story, the point of view of Rosie Carlyle… but I won’t say anymore to leave you wanting to know more. Her side of the story makes up for the wholes in Ruth’s POV and definitely adds to the suspense and introduces the good ol’ doubt about everything you think you know. It is a very good story. It ties everything nicely at the end and it does not leave you with questions.

I give it ★★★★.5
My goodness - what a long book!  I’m not sure it needed to be that long.  It felt very slow going for me and it took a while for me to finish.

The storyline was good and the characters were well developed and all had something to offer in the story.  There wasn’t any twists or red herrings in this story so the end, when it finally happened fell a bit flat for me.

Thank you to Netgalley and the publisher for an ARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.