Cover Image: The Ravenous Dead

The Ravenous Dead

4 stars

I really liked “The Whispering Dead” and couldn’t wait to read the next installment in the Gravekeeper series. And “The Ravenous Dead” was even better than I expected it to be. I think it’s all thanks to Keira who is a fantastic character and I came to like her very much through those two books. She’s smart and independent, but also she knows when to agree to accept the help of the others. Also, the life of a small village the author is portraying in her novels is so witty and interesting (when it could be as easily boring and completely irrelevant to the plot).

Beside Keira, there are also other characters that are just as likable as herself. It’s super interesting to see how her relationships are developing and I really am curious to see if she and Mason will be together in the end. As much as I like a good romance theme in the book, I also appreciate that in here it’s really subtle and not taking up most of the plot. It is nice to have but not an obtrusive, ‘in-you-face’ thing.

Now the only thing I can do is to wait for book number 3 and I really can’t wait to see how it develops.
⭐⭐⭐ — I freaking LOVE the cover on this one!

This one turned out to be just okay for me. It wasn't a bad book by any means. I just found it a little on the boring side. Perhaps this is because I haven't read the first book? That said, I enjoyed the characters and their banter. And the setting was very cool and suitably creepy. I am on the fence on if I will read book 3 or pass.

**ARC Via NetGalley**
I think this follow up did an excellent job of extending the creep factor and the plot of the first book.

I enjoyed the extra layer of plot from that final plot twist. It was perfect.

Getting to see the ghosts from the graveyard playing a larger part in helping Keira and being appreciative of her and the help she's giving them was a nice addition as well.

I'm definitely more interested in learning more about Keira's backstory and what is going to happen with the guys who are looking for her.
Darcy Coates is such a fun writer. Her books are comfortingly creepy (if that makes sense). Well written and keeps me on the edge of my seat, I'd read a phone book by her!
Hunted, amnesiac, groundskeeper and ghost whisperer takes her job of helping spirits move on very seriously. This story takes off when an anonymous spirit begins to take her just as seriously. The mystery of the faceless ghost is compelling. And if you like a bit of macabre with your mystery, Ravrnous Dead is exactly what you need. Keira has to uncover and resolve the life and death of a serial killer.

I was a little worried about how much I well I could follow this story or how much I could empathize with Keira without the benefit of reading book one, but the bulk of the novel is plot driven. Nevertheless, the grave-tender and her often entertaining spirits did not lose much personality. There is an ongoing secondary plot that is a continuation of book one. Knowing what happens would more than likely increase the interest and the pace, which at time decreases.

Thank you NetGalley and Sourcebooks for an eARC of this book in exchange for my honest review.
I liked this one better than the first one (which I really liked) because Keira seems to be finding herself in this new project. She has accepted her new gift and is really working through it to help others. I enjoyed the mysteries involved and was hoping for a little more about her background but not much progress has been made there. Will continue with the series to see what happens next but need to know more about her past before I will commit to anything further.

I received a copy from #NetGalley for an honest review.
I’m really enjoying this series! It’s not overly scary, but there are some serious creepy parts. I love the relationships between the characters. The story has multiple overlapping mysteries, and I love how it leaves me wanting to know more about Keira’s history without feeling like nothing is getting solved. I can’t wait for book 3.
Darcy Coates brings a wonderfully eery ghost story to life in The Ravenous Dead; a sequel to The Whispering Dead of the Gravekeeper Series. This installment follows Keira as she settles into her new life as the Blighty Cemetery Groundskeeper and works to help the souls of those who’ve not yet been able to break their tether to the world of the living. Keira, determined to help these souls find peace, finds herself playing a dangerous game with a gravely aggressive spirit.

I received this ARC without prior knowledge of The Ravenous Dead being the second book in a series. But here’s the thing, even with this being a sequel, and Coates referring back to the twists and outcome of The Whispering Dead, I will still be going back to read the first installment so I can follow Keira on her journey from the beginning. Coates has crafted a wonderful ghost story that will keep you hooked until the very last page while simultaneously building out Keira as a character you can’t help but root for.
Even though I still really enjoyed this one, and I still really like this series, this one wasn't as intriguing as the first book in the series for me. I think it lost the spookiness for me. The story was still interesting, and it kept me interested the entire time. I really like Darcy Coates and would love to read more of her books.

Thank you so much to #Netgalley for this advanced reader's copy for an honest review.
A cute, cozy horror that reminded me of series like Rita Mae Brown's Mrs. Murphy and Leigh Perry's A Family Skeleton. I did find the writing to be quite passive and a low of tell vs. show, but the story kept me engaged and provided a satisfying "twist" at the end.
The Ravenous Dead is the second book in the Gravekeeper series by Darcy Coates.  I felt The Whispering Dead left a lot of loose ends, which continued in the Ravenous Dead.  Both books offer little insight into Keira's past prior to living in an abandoned groundkeeper's cottage in a cemetery.  The author only gives little tidbits that keep you intrigued enough to keep wanting to read the next book in the series, searching for answers. The story of Keira's mysterious past is coupled with a unique ghost story involving a terrifying shade that tries to consume everything in its path.  Darcy Coates is one of the best paranormal writers out there.
Keira, hired as Blighty Graveyard’s new groundskeeper, lives surrounded by the dead. They watch her through the fog. They wordlessly cry out. They’ve been desperately waiting for help moving on—and only Keira can hear them. But not every restless spirit wants to be saved.

Sometimes the dead hate the living too much to find peace.

As Keira struggles to uncover the tangled histories of some of the graveyard’s oldest denizens, danger seeps from the darkest edges of the forest. A vicious serial killer was interred among the trees decades before, his spirit twisted by his violent nature. He’s furious. Ravenous. And when Keira unwittingly answers his call, she may just seal her fate as his final intended victim.

This is the second story in the Gravekeeper series and I couldn’t wait to read it. Keira has to be one of my favourite female protagonists and I just love seeing her story unfold.

Coates brings back the gang to solve the mystery of the angry black spirit haunting Blighty’s graveyard demolishing anything and anyone in its path and feisty Kiera, calm Mason and kooky Zoe (also let’s not forget Daisy) are up to the challenge.

Filled with tension, friendship, courage and frights this was a great next instalment that will be a fan of all ages! There’s something for everyone…. Oh and even better… another book in the series!!!!

The Ravenous Dead is a slow paced ghost story with a mystery interwoven into it. I only realised this was the second book in a series when I was about 25% of the way through the book buy I still enjoyed it. I need to read book 1 now.
Keira has most recently made a home for herself in Blighty next to a graveyard where she can see and communicate with the dead. When she sees a dark malevolent spirit feeding off the ghosts in her graveyard she tries to fight him but ends up hurt. As Keira tries to find out what is keeping this spirit tethered to the earth and finding a way to get rid of him, he grows in force and power and Keira realises they're all in danger - both living and dead. Keira also gets spotted by a group of dangerous people who want to capture her, but she has no knowledge of anything before arriving in Blighty. With the help of her two new friends, Keira tries to save the town, release ghosts from being trapped on earth and unravel the mystery of who this entity is and who these people are that are chasing after her and why.
I can't wait to read more in book 1 and book 3 after reading this!
When i first got this book, i didn't know it was the 2nd in the series and feel like you have to read the first to get it fully, which i did do. The writing and story was fun and kind of spooky which isn't too dark and is a bit light-hearted. I liked Kiera as the main character and i feel like, over the 2 books, the reader's relationship with her really grows. Her sidekicks are interesting but at times they don't really do much for me and I'd much rather see more of Kiera. This isn't the best spooky book out there but it's a fun read.
Another win!  I can’t wait until book three within this series comes out!  Couldn’t put this one down!  I have grown to love that little town and.it’s  character’s!  Thrilling and fast paced!
*Advanced reader copy provided by Netgalley in exchange for an honest review. Thank you Netgalley!

The Ravenous Dead is an excellent follow up to the first book in the series, The Whispering Dead. There are plenty of re-caps about what has already happened so far in the series, just in case you need a little bit of a refresher. Make sure to read book 1 first, though, because some of the re-caps are a little bit of a spoiler. That’s not a bad thing, though! The re-cap details really helped me remember all those tiny details. Don’t skip book 1 ALSO because this book takes place almost exactly after the first book ends!

I loved the plot so much. The evil ghost buried in the forest was just a nasty, NASTY shade! It is such an interesting mystery surrounding what is keeping this villainous ghost hanging around for so long. And OMG! Such a glorious twist at the end! 😮 Very Twisty.

The Ravenous Dead is an atmospheric thrill to read. Kept me hooked with suspenseful action and mysteries to unravel. This series is only just getting started. Both books so far have been a creepy delight. I can’t wait to see what happens next.
Darcy Coates is an excellent writer. Her dialogue between characters stands out for how realistic it feels. It’s like talking to your very own neighbors and townspeople. The Ravenous Dead is a sequel to The Whispering Dead. And although most of the story is recapped in the second book, I’d still suggest reading them in order to get to know the town of Blighty and it’s interesting characters. I think Coates does a good job with the mystery. I rated this book 3 stars because for me, these books are a bit “campy, cheesy” mysteries. There’s nothing wrong with that but I like my mysteries a bit darker.
🪦 B O O K • R E V I E W 🪦
Title: The Ravenous Dead
Author: Darcy Coates
Rating: 4.5 Stars ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️✨ (Rounded up to 5 on GoodReads, Amazon and Netgalley)
Swipe for synopsis.
This is the second in the Gravekeeper series and it did not disappoint. I really loved how this one jumped right into the ghostly action with Keria using her second eye to try to help the ghosts in the graveyard. I really loved the mystery surrounding the ghost that she felt compelled to help cross over.
I am really loving ghost stories recently and have been really wanting to read a haunting ghost story. This one is full of eerie and definitely enough scary moments to make my heart race. I definitely think this was the perfect amount of horror for me, because it had the extra suspense of a mystery with it.
My only reasoning for this to not be a full 5 star read is because I still feel like not enough information was given into the mystery surrounding Keira’s past. There was definitely some information given, but we still have mostly no idea about her past. I’m hoping for more information in the third book!
This is definitely a quick and easy read, and I definitely recommend it to all horror lovers. The perfect amount of ghost story mixed with mystery. The Ravenous Dead is out now on Kindle Unlimited.
Huge thank you to @netgalley for the eARC in exchange for my honest review.
#netgalleyearc #netgalleyreads #thegravekeeperseries #paranormalactivity #ghoststory #mystery #secondeye #thequeenofhorror #theravenousdead #booknumbertwo #fourandahalfstarread #darcycoates
I've liked Darcy Coates for a few years now, and she's made me like the horror/paranormal genre. Obviously, I was excited about The Ravenous Dead since we have a girl that speaks to ghosts, and who doesn't like that? (Ghost Whisperer anyone?) I must admit I didn't realize it was a sequel until I saw it on Goodreads, but it wasn't all that much of a problem. Some of Keira's background is probably explained in book 1 as well as why people are looking for her now, but it didn't bother me not to know. The book mostly focuses on Keira discovering something is eating the ghosts living in her graveyard, so I concentrated on that.

It was a really good plotline. A mysterious ghost shade is forcing other ghosts to hide or be eaten. It's up to Keira to understand what/who the shade is, and how to help it go to the other side. I liked seeing the ghosts' evolution, the way Keira manages to make friends and create strong bonds with her sidekick. It was pretty heartwarming!

It was a great entertaining read that spooks without terrifying readers entirely, which makes it perfect for a larger range of readers. It confirmed my liking of Darcy Coates' writing, and I will likely read more of her work!
I love this author. Every book I have read does not disappoint.
This book is the second in the series and from the way it ended with more questions than answers I’m guessing there will be a book 3.

Keira has been hired to be the new groundskeeper for the graveyard in Blighty. But not any kind of groundskeeper, Keira can see ghosts and she has been employed to clean up the ghosts that linger in the graveyard.
Some of the ghosts have been there a long time and can be hard to see but Keira is determined to help them all.

This is a fun ghost series. If you are looking for this book to scare the living daylights out of you then this is not the book for you.
This is more of a light horror story.

The friendship between Kiera, Zoe and Mason is filled with love and banter that I love reading. Zoe is hilarious with all her conspiracy theories and Mason is sweet and kind but takes no nonsense. I love the friendship that is developing between the 3 of them.

This is a well written book with a great pace. To me this is more of a mystery book with some ghosts thrown in as Kiera has to unravel the ghosts to stories to help them move on.