Cover Image: The Summer Getaway

The Summer Getaway

A fun, light, summer read! A great vacation or beach read! Single, divorced mom takes a vacation to see an elderly aunt, and her problems, in the form of kids, friend and her ex, follow. She finds love along the way, and problems get solved.
Thanks to NetGalley for the ARC.
I like that this is a standalone and I really enjoyed the character building and world building. I will be reading more of the standalones.
My first Susan Mallory novel and I’m hooked! So many interesting storylines woven together into a common theme. Great summer vibes!
The Summer Getaway had a little too much drama for me, and I didn't see a lot of character growth. As always Susan Mallery's writing was fantastic.
Robyn needs a break. Her ex-husband is a cad, her current boyfriend turns out to be not much better, her daughter is entitled, and her best friend/boss is determined to have an affair that is sure to destroy her family despite Robyn's warnings. Her son seems to be the only one who doesn't expect anything. Robyn has spent most of her life doing what was best for everyone around her, and now it's time to slip away and spend some time figuring out what she actually wants for herself. Her great-aunt has been asking her to California for a visit, and it's definitely time.

Aunt Lillian lives in a sprawling mansion with a little bit of a Dr. Seuss meets the Winchester House feel. On top of that, it's heavily loaded with antiques. Upon Lillian's passing, Robyn inherits the contents and the 15 cats, and her deceased husband's distant cousin, Mason, inherits the home with the understanding that he is to live in it for a year before selling it to the historical society. The purpose of the year is primarily to give Robyn time to inventory the contents. Upon her arrival, Robyn finds that Mason has also recently taken Lillian up on an invitation to visit that she has been extending to him for years.

As the summer progresses, Robyn and Mason strike up a romance while Robyn's friend and family back in Florida discover things about themselves, and the people around them, that they also feel the need to take a break, or run away, from. Lillian's home gets more full as the time passes, and it becomes something of a retreat where the lost go to find their truths and decide their futures. Lives will be forever changed in Aunt Lillian’s unique home, and she will be the heart of it all.

The Summer Getaway by Susan Mallery is that beach read we all grab for when this time of year rolls around. There are some serious stories being told with just enough fluff and just the right setting. My favorite person was absolutely Aunt Lillian. She wasn’t the main character and yet she seemed to be the center of it all, enjoying the ins and outs of everyone’s lives with a cocktail in hand and advice when needed. Quite honestly, her house was the second best character. I wanted to walk through it and find all of the hidden treasures, whether they were passageways, doors to nowhere, or antiques. A couple of the other characters left something to be desired, at first, but that was done deliberately to show their growth as the book progressed. In other instances, just the opposite happened.

Thankfully, I wasn’t looking for perfection because there was some convenient writing here and there in order to make things come to the close the author wanted. Had I been looking for a deeper read, that would have bothered me more, but beach reads bring different expectations. The bigger issue I had was with the crassness of some of the writing. I prefer a book that alludes to things rather than spells them out, but that’s just me.

Thank you to NetGalley and Harlequin Trade Publishing for providing me with an ARC which I have chosen to leave this objective review on.
This is surprisingly my second Susan Mallery novel. It is an easy, light read that has a lot of family drama and some romance. I loved how Robyn was vital to every person close to her. I also loved how most of the characters learned a lot about themselves and all faced rough decisions. The romance between Robyn and Mason was sweet and I was rooting for the both of them. Make sure you grab this book for your beach bag this summer!

Thank you to NetGallery and to Harlequin Trade Publishing  for giving me a copy for my honest review
Another entertaining book by this prolific author! Robyn has reached a turning point in her life after putting her family first for years. The kids are now grown and Robyn has been divorced for a while so it is time to make plans for herself. Robyn leaves her home in Florida to visit her great aunt in California hoping to get some clarity and decide on the direction she wants her life to go in. Once there she unexpectedly and happily finds herself in a romantic relationship. Things start to get very busy at her aunt’s house as Robyn’s family surprisingly make their way to California too. This was a heartwarming book with a lot of family drama, conflict, friendship and love. I recommend this one if you enjoy family stories. This will also make a great summer read.
Robyn is a single mother who has always put family first and herself last.  With the kids grown but still demanding her attention she decides to visit her great Aunt Lillian in California.  She's relaxing and enjoying herself when the family one by one come to California wanting her to solve their problems.  This is a "beach read" at its best.  Susan Mallery is a favorite of romance readers and she doesn't disappoint in this latest book.  It's fun to see if Robyn makes the same decisions you would.  I received a copy of this ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review.
Some authors just SCREAM summer to me, and I love that year-round, picking up their titles feels like I'm packing up to hit the beach. When I was given an advance copy of Susan Mallery's THE SUMMER GETAWAY I could not wait to read it, as her books always give me that vibe!

What I was most excited about this particular title was that our main character, Robyn is at such an important, life-changing time in her relationship with her family. As someone who has always been family-focused and the one they all have counted on, her needing a vacation to kind of reassess and consider herself MORE for the future, and let them figure it out all on their own is something that's never happened before.

The perfect opportunity comes up to visit her great-aunt Lillian, and to the surprise of everyone around her, she goes.

This book gave me such HOPE. It was truly a wonderful story of family and love, and by being about a mother and her adult children I felt like this book filled a space I need to read more of in books. That life doesn't simply end at a certain age, that we are all more than one particular part of ourselves whether it's being a parent, an employee, a wife, or a friend. We are ALL of those things, and somehow those feelings and drama all come together to create our lives.

Thank you to Harlequin Books for sending me a copy of this book to read and review, it was such a warm, fuzzy-feeling book full of family and love!
Susan Mallory brings us engaging characters, beautiful descriptions that transport us from Florida to California and a good story line. Highly recommend!

I received a free copy of this book via NetGalley and the publisher.  This is my honest and personal review.
Susan Mallery's The Summer Getaway is a very intriguing book.  At first glance, it seems like an easy and breezy summer read, perfect for a long afternoon on the beach.  It is so much deeper than that however!  I would consider it a romance , yes, but it also has a good bit of family drama in the plot as well.

Protagonist, Robyn Caldwell is at a cross roads in her life. As a mid 40s divorcee with two young adult children, she is navigating the desire to be a guiding mother to her kids while allowing them to grow up and make some adult decisions of their own.  Adding in an incredibly immature ex-husband and a summer opportunity a little out of her comfort zone and Susan Mallery has created quite the story.  Audiences should be hooked from the first chapter.

Mallery does a wonderful job of fleshing out the various characters with their secrets kept and introspective moments.  As I've said, this novel is so much more than a beach read, despite the cover art.  I thoroughly enjoyed reading it and would recommend it to many.  Thank you to NetGalley and Harlequin Publishing for gifting me a copy of this novel.
This book was an absolute pleasure to read. Anything by Susan Mallery is actually. I highly recommend this book.
I enjoy Susan Mallery's books for beach and pool reads as they are easy to pick up, put down, and get swept away to a vacation escape in between. They cover the gamut of relationships from family to romance and always with some character growth thrown in. Robyn is a likeable character, as are many of the supporting characters. I wanted to explore her Aunt's historic Santa Barbara house and all its treasures (and also want to know where I can get a relative to leave me a mansion or its contents--I promise to take the 15 cats with it!) ;-) Is the story completely realistic, no, but it is a good soapy drama that was fun and engaging to read and I found myself wanting to stay with the characters after I finished.
The Summer Getaway by Susan Mallery
A special thanks to Harlequin Trade Publishing NetGalley for the advanced reader copy of this book. I voluntarily read and reviewed this title all thoughts and opinions are my own.
The perfect read on this hot summer day.
Robin Caldwell is the divorce mother of two whose life needs a major change. Her kids are 23 and 18 and she’s ready to move on from being a stay at home mom. But everyone in her life is always running to her to fix their problems. Her daughters engaged and is turning into a bridezilla and blaming her mother for everything. Her son Austin has graduated from high school but doesn’t have a plan for his life. Her ex-husband Cord is in a relationship with their daughters soon to be sister-in-law and hasn’t told their kids yet. So when her aunt to tell her calls from California and invites her out to stay she runs away from her life. But what happens when all of those people follow her to California?!? This was such a great summer read!
I always look forward to Mallery's books when the spring/summer roll around. This one was the perfect way to kick off the warm weather season. She always transports her readers to a nice beachy/warm setting and it lets me escape the cold for those 300+ pages. Looking forward to her next one!

Thanks for the opportunity to read and review!
Like the title suggests, this is the perfect summer escape read.  Lured in by that gorgeous cover, readers will find an emotional story that keeps them turning the pages while soaking up the sun and sea.
This is a perfect summer read with lots of drama, love, loss and everything in between. Susan Mallery has done it again! Robyn, desperate to leave FL, flees to her aunts house in CA in which she has spent many summers before.. I enjoyed all the characters in this book. Mallery has a great flair for describing all the feels.
This is a great summer book! You even get the east coast and the west coast; how much better can it get?

There is a whole lot going on in this book. However, it is easy to keep track of. I swear each character has their own little drama going on. Definitely a must read!
This is a heartwarming read. When Robyn needs to get away to figure out what to do now that her children are grown up and she needs to downsize her home, she takes up the invitation from her elderly aunt to visit her in California. It has been too many years since she has been there and has forgotten how huge the house is and all of the priceless treasures her aunt has collected over the years. Her aunt has also asked the man who will inherit the house when she passes to live there. Mason and Robyn start to see what the future will hold, when one by one the rest of Robyns family decide to join her.

This is such a well written book with great characters and gives you all the feels! Thank you to NetGalley for the ARC in return for my honest review.
Taking a break from murder and suspense, this week I read Susan Mallery’s latest release, THE SUMMER GETAWAY. Families always have drama and the mother is usually the rock that everyone depends on. Robyn Caldwell is that person: doting mother, a supportive wife until her husband cheated too many times, the peacemaker between everyone and the one her friends go to in a crisis. But with her youngest child now out of high school, she starts to wonder who she is and where she lost herself along the way.

Robyn has been holding everyone else together for so long she doesn’t know how to take care of herself. When her newly engaged daughter flips into a bridezilla and her son’s immediate future is up in the air, she decides that she’s had enough and flees to her Great-Aunt Lillian’s house in California. Leaving humid Florida behind and most of her worries, Robyn blooms with the support of her 94 years-old aunt. While Lillian is preparing her estate for when she dies, Robyn finally meets the distant relative of her late Uncle Leo who will inherit the very large and quirky mansion at Lillian’s passing: Mason, retired Army turned non-fiction author.

But what seems like a time away for Robyn to find who she is without all the people who take her for granted, her family and friends slowly make the trek across the country to get her help one by one. While the drama has followed her across state lines, it’s somehow easier to deal with her loved ones’ problems in beautiful Santa Barbara with her supportive aunt by her side.

I give THE SUMMER GETAWAY a 4.5 out of 5. If you love family drama, this book is steeped in it, including cheating spouses, dating way younger than is probably smart, jumping into a relationship with someone you don’t really know, lots of entitlement, divorce, grief, and trying to please a parent that’s really only ever been into themselves. A sweet romance blooms between Robyn and Mason, and I really enjoyed how they slowly found each other, becoming one another’s rock when times got tough. All of the characters were so well developed and unique. I really didn’t enjoy the daughter or the ex-husband, but that was by design. But they both grow throughout the book–one more so than the other–so at least one is likable in the end.

The star of this book to me was Aunt Lillian, who was progressive, definitely her own person to the end, and so understanding and supportive of her family–even the family that she finally met in person in Mason. Susan Mallery really knows how to portray realistic family dynamics, even when weaving in the more outlandish behavior of some. I was definitely reminded of how my own son is definitely growing into his own person at soon-to-be thirteen, and I saw this reflected in how Robyn saw her children and dealt with them as best as she can.

I highly recommend THE SUMMER GETAWAY. I read most of it in one sitting, and the emotional ups and downs of this family were engaging and heartfelt.