Cover Image: The Minotaur Sampler, Volume 4

The Minotaur Sampler, Volume 4

This are always the best! Night shift was so good. A flicker in the dark was amazing and the shadow was was good, i dk love these to sample what’s coming soon
Sorry for the delayed feedback.  I enjoyed the sampler and have already purchased a few of the finished books.  Looking forward to reading them in their entirety!
Such a great way to sample some amazing upcoming thrillers. These are just small samples so don’t go in expecting full versions. It gives you just enough to decide if you will like or love these books that are sampled. I am especially excited about Flicker in the Dark and The Night Shift. I wish there were more of these available to sample before buying a book. Love it!
Wow! 4.5 stars! Several of the books sample chapters drew me in immediately. I'm excited to read these books! Thanks to Minotaur and NetGalley for the chance to sample some thrillers.
Overall great sampler all of the books seem great in their own way! I am particularly excited to read the night shift. the book had me hooked so quickly i needed to read more ASAP.
Thank you to net galley and Minotaur publisher for letting me review the Minotaur sampler volume 4.  The minotaur sampler was enough to let me know that I had to add these six books to my To be read list. I have never read any of these authors before but, will read the whole books since I loved to samples that I read.
THE MINOTAUR SAMPLER – Volume 4

A FLICKER IN THE DARK - by Stacy Willingham – Released 01/11/2022

‘I thought I knew what monsters were…My body could sense them, sense danger, the way your skin seems to prickle just before a hand is placed on an unsuspecting shoulder, the moment you realize that unshakable feeling you had was a set of eyes burrowing into the back of your skull, lurking behind the branches of an overgrown shrub…No, the real monsters move in plain sight.’

My Immediate Thought – Yes, Please!

A Blast From The Past In The New Thriller by Alex Finlay—THE NIGHT SHIFT – Released 03/01/2022

‘NEW YEAR’S EVE 1999’

‘The night was expected to bring tragedy. Planes falling from the sky. Elevators plunging to earth. World markets collapsing. A digital apocalypse. But Y2K was an otherwise typical Friday night at the Blockbuster Video in Linden, New Jersey’

That is until…

Need!

UNDER LOCK & SKELETON KEY – by Gigi Pandian – Released 03/15/2022

‘An impossible crime.’

‘A family legacy.’

‘The intrigue of hidden rooms and secret staircases.’

Yeeeesssssssss!

‘Secret Staircase Construction specializes in bringing the magic of childhood to all by transforming clients’ homes with sliding bookcases, intricate locks, backyard treehouses, and hidden reading nooks.’

‘When Tempest visits her dad’s latest renovation project….’

Nope, no spoilers; go check it out for yourselves.

THE RESTING PLACE – by Camilla Sten – Released Today 03/29/2022

‘A heart-thumping, relentless thriller that will shake you to your core, The Resting Place is an unforgettable novel of horror and suspense.’

‘Eleanor. Her steadfast boyfriend, Sebastian. Her reckless aunt, Veronika. The lawyer. All will go to this house of secrets, looking for answers. But…’

Color Me Intrigued, Yes, Please!

THE SHADOW HOUSE – by Anna Downes – Scheduled To Release On 04/05/2022

‘A HOUSE WITH DEADLY SECRETS. A MOTHER WHO’LL RISK EVERYTHING TO BRING THEM TO LIGHT.’

‘Alex, a single mother-of-two, is determined to make a fresh start for her and her children. In an effort to escape her troubled past, she seeks refuge in a rural community. Pine Ridge is idyllic; the surrounding forests are beautiful, and the locals welcoming. Mostly.’ – YES!

PAY DIRT ROAD – by Samantha Jayne Allen – Scheduled To Release On 04/19/2022

‘Friday Night Lights meets Sue Grafton in this small-town mystery about an unlikely private investigator searching for a missing waitress.’

‘As Annie works to uncover the truth she finds herself identifying with the victim in increasing, unsettling ways, and realizes she must confront her own past—failed romances, a disturbing experience she’d rather forget, and the trick mirror of nostalgia itself—if she wants to survive this homecoming.’

Need!

Thank you, NetGalley and Minotaur Books (St. Martin’s Press), for providing me with an eBook of THE MINOTAUR SAMPLER – Volume 4 at the request of an honest review.
I always love getting these samples.  I've found some new-to-me authors this way and some fantastic books.  This one is no exception!!  I've already added three of the books to my TBR list.
I love these samplers but also hate them. I love that I get an idea what the writing is like but hate when the sample is over! A Flicker in the Dark and Night Shift are definitely being added to my tbr!
This is a great group of mysteries that would be perfect for summer reading!
A Flicker in the Dark and The Night Shift are quite similar at the beginning, with multiple murders in the past of two teenage protagonists who become dysfunctional therapists, but each offers a small twist at the end of the samples that made me want to read on.
Under Lock and Skeleton Key is wholly original, combining a murder mystery, magic, and mysterious architecture into a story that was just beginning to take shape in the pages that I read. Tempest, her rabbit, her adorable grandparents and Ivy were all characters that I liked and wanted to read more about.
I had never heard of prosopagnosia before and find it an intriguing plot point for a murder mystery! The Resting Place uses this condition and a super creepy house to set up at least one murder mystery and I'd love to read more to find out how other deaths may be intertwined with the one that starts the book.
The Shadow House also centers on a creepy house in a creepy eco-town that a single mom runs away to with her surly teenage son a and a new baby. This sample didn't give me much to base a review on so was the weakest of the lot for me to decide on.
Finally, Pay Dirt Road laid the groundwork for a mystery based around a small town and semi-dysfunctional family - both things that I like - though there was just a lot of groundwork and no cliffhanging hook to make me want to instantly want to grab the full book. I do like Annie and would like to read more interaction with her investigator-grandfather, Leroy.
This sampler pack is such a cool idea to get a feel for upcoming releases! Just enough of the story to have you HOOKED and wanting more. These books sound really good, can't wait to read them in full now!
I always love looking through these, but this may be my favorite volume yet. All these upcoming releases look so good and I'm eager to read them in their entirety- especially the new book by Alex Finlay! Going to request/preorder them now!
Many thanks to Minotaur and NetGalley for the sampler.
I love receiving these samplers from Minotaur as a way to try out new books before committing to the whole thing.

I've already read and reviewed A Flicker in the Dark and The Resting Place, both of which I really enjoyed. I also have a full copy of The Night Shift that I'll be reading and reviewing soon, so the teaser got me even more excited for that!

I really enjoyed the opportunity to check out The Shadow House and Pay Dirt Road, and am eager to read full versions of both of those. Under Lock and Skeleton Key wasn't really to my taste, but it was nice to read an excerpt to know for sure.
This sampler has sample chapters from some really great books that I've read (A Flicker in the Dark, The Night Shift), but also introduced me to some new titles and authors that wouldn't have been on my radar.  I'm especially excited to read The Shadow by Anna Downes.

Thanks to NetGalley and St. Martin's Press for making these samplers available.
Love these samplers!  Definitely lets you know which books to be on the lookout for and which ones do not appeal  to you.
Enjoyed this sampler of thriller books. I’m so ready to read A Flicker in the Dark!  Nice variation of stories.
Thank you NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book
This was an amazing look into a wonderful set of books. I have already read Flicker in the Dark and LOVED it. This mini look also has me intrigued with Nightshift. Each of the books involved in this Minotaur only included the first 4 chapters, so some of them were harder to give an opinion on.

A Flicker in the Dark was published last month and looks at an adult whose father killed 6 teens and even though she was relocated and is working as a psychiatrist, in the new town she resides in, the same things begin to happen. Girls start to disappear one by one. Through her own engagement to be married, she discovers some deep secrets and twists. I did not see the ending when it came. It had some wonderful twists and was one of the best thrillers I have read in awhile,. I highly recommend this book.

Nightshift is written in two timelines with multiple POVs. The first timeline taking place in the Blockbuster video days, at the local store when a massacre kills all but one person. She later becomes a FBI agent. Then another massacre occurs in the very same nature at an ice cream shop 15-20 years later, The first killer is never caught and it bleeds into the second massacre. This book looks extremely intriguing and if i do not get the opportunity to review on NetGalley, I will be purchasing when it comes out later this year.

Under Lock and Key was a thriller that looks promising. This novel is written from the POV of Tempest Raj. A magicians career gets railroaded and Tempest Raj is forced to move back home to California with her grandfather. While visiting her dad’s latest renovation project, her stage double from her former life is discovered dead inside the staircase, but appears to have been sealed there for a century,. She has to solve the crime to save herself but fears the family curse will be too much to bear….

Resting Place is another psychological thriller that looks promising, a book I would likely pick up when released later this year. Eleanor does not have the ability to recognize familiar faces, a rare disorder. When she was younger, her grandmothers was extremely cruel to her but to compromise, she would have dinner with her once a week. Upon entering the house for dinner like she has done many times before, she finds her grandmother dead, murdered. The killer is still in the house when Elenor enters but since she does not recognize faces, she may never know she was standing next to a killer. After the family lawyer goes through the estate, Elenor finds out that the family house was left to her, a house that has decades of secrets. As she begins to uncover these secrets with her boyfriend and aunt, she wishes that she did not. A very interesting novel that looks to keep my attention throughout the story.

The Shadow House also looks amazingly promising. Alex is a single mother looking for a fresh start in a small town for her and her children, to escape a horrifying past. Pine Ridge is a small town like you see in Hallmark movies that is very welcoming to newcomers. When a bizarre chain of events, very familiar to the locals, start to occur, Alex realizes that her family may be in more damages. She has to confront Pine Ridge to save her family.

Pay Dirt Road is about a young women, Alex who is lured into the family PI business by her grandfather, who is supposed to be retiring. When a waitress at the local diner goes missing, Annie begins to investigate. During the course of the investigation, Annie begins to identify with the victim in an increasing, unsettling ways and understands she has to confront her own past of romances that have failed, a disturbing experience she does want to remember, and the trick of the mirror of nostalgia itself, if she wants to survive this home coming.
This is one of the first times I've tried the sampler pack of new releases.  It's such a great way to be able to preview upcoming releases, but the downside is, you get completely hooked and need more! After looking through this preview, I'm super excited to check out "A Flicker in the Dark".  Next, "The Shadow House".  Having read a previous Anna Downes novel, I'm intrigued to see how she crafts this story.  "Night Shift" also looks like it's going to be one listed as a have to read.  I've heard great things about author Camilla Sten, and this might be a great novel to start with, as an introduction to her writing.  The last two also look good and because I've now read the introductions, I'm going to have to finish them at some point because I need to know what happens next.  This was a great experience in finding new books to add to my wish list and I look forward to reading some new to me authors I might not have discovered otherwise.
All of these samples are addicting.  I am excited to pick up the books and continue reading them I particularly enjoyed The Shadow House sample.  Thank you.
I absolutely loved this book sampler from Minotaur. It is a wonderful resource for those who love thrillers. I actually read two books after reading the samples and loved both books.  This is a wonderful way of reviewing a book before purchasing to ensure its the right novel for you.