Cover Image: City of the Dead

City of the Dead

I don’t think I have ever read a Jonathan Kellerman novel, but after this one, I want to read them all. The novel begins with two men who are completely abandoned rather quickly, which threw the whole novel in an unexpected turn from the very beginning. The novel weaves stories that are seemingly unrelated in a masterful way, and I remained engaged until the last page. It was an easy and enjoyable read!
Ebook/Mystery:  This I'd book 37 in the series. I haven't read/listened to all of the series, especially the earlier books. I am biased because I love the character Milo and John Rubinstein'narration with the audiobooks. I did get this from NetGalley in lieu of an honest review.

Unlike The Serpent, this case is current, not cold. There's a lot of Milo, but not a lot of eating.
Like The Serpent, the ending was rushed and disappointed me. It was going and getting exciting on how Milo was going to get a warrant or evidence and... it just ended. Because the narrative is first person of Alex's POV, we only hear it second hand.  I wanted more scullduggery, procedural, with some psychological intensity.
This is the 37th book in the series and I have read all of them. Obviously, I enjoy the investigative duo of Detective Milo Sturgis and psychologist Alex Delaware, as well as all the supporting characters and look forward to each new addition. Whenever I crack open a Kellerman book, I can’t seem to put it down.

Kellerman writes true police procedurals, albeit a little different due to Milo being unconventional and Alex along to provide psychological insight.  True, they do tend to be a bit formulaic, as Alex and Milo chase down leads, generate and discuss different theories, interview persons of interest, enjoy a few good meals. Kellerman’s descriptions are particularly picturesque and entertaining and he always seems to put a fresh spin on cases.

The plot is intriguing and one where Alex’s private practice and his role as consultant to the police intersect.

Yes, this can be read as a standalone, but if you are familiar with this series,  it is always enjoyable to meet up with these familiar characters.
This book had awesome characters. Each well developed with their own unique style.  Easy to feel like a part of the book.
Thank you NetGalley for the opportunity to read and review this book
Review of Advance Reader’s Copy eBook

In the dark, early morning hours, a moving van strikes something, presumably an animal darting out from the side of the road, running directly into the vehicle’s path. But Donny and Alfie are stunned to discover they’ve hit a young man. It isn’t long before Los Angeles Homicide Lieutenant Detective Milo Sturgis and psychologist/police consultant Doctor Alex Delaware are on the scene where the unidentified, naked young man lost his life. It could have been nothing more than a tragic accident, but a blood trail leads to a nearby house . . . and to another victim. Someone Alex knows.

The victim, Cordelia Gannett, posed as a psychologist; Alex had encountered her while working on a child custody case. Has her past caught up with her? And what does the unidentified young man have to do with her murder?

As Milo and Alex investigate the gruesome double murder, secrets revealed bring more questions than answers. Can they find the links, the relationships, and the revelations that will lead to them to the truth?

=========

Thirty-seventh[!] in the Alex Delaware series, this intriguing mystery/police procedural works well as a standalone for readers new to the Alex Delaware canon. Along with the strong sense of place, nuanced, relatable characters [so well-known as to be like old friends to many readers], the unfolding narrative pulls the reader into the story from the outset. The large cast of characters keeps the story moving in unexpected ways and the twisting plot keeps the readers guessing until the surprising reveal that leads to a satisfying denouement.

Some bantering, a dollop of sarcasm, and some well-placed humor all work together to lighten the telling of the tale just a bit, offering readers a respite from the heaviness of the murders. As always, the friendship and camaraderie between Milo and Alex lie at the heart of the story; the complexities of the evolving case simply add to the enjoyment for the reader.

Highly recommended.
I’ve been a fan of Kellerman for years and this book as is good as his others, which is good and bad. Good in that he’s always readable, but bad in that there’s a sameness about his books.  Delaware talks the same. As does Milo, Alex’s girlfriend, etc. If you want to stay in the Delaware comfort zone, don’t worry, this book is for you. If you’re looking for something different, look elsewhere.
Lots of twists in this latest mystery by Jonathan Kellerman.  Interesting facts sprinkled throughout.
I love these books by Mr. Kellerman.  Don't pick up unless you don't need a night's sleep!
I enjoyed this mystery involving the pairing of a detective and a psychologist.  The style was matter of fact and sometimes meandering.  I would have liked it a bit more tightened up for a stronger plotline.  It is part of a series but seemed fine as a stand alone, maybe the series part explains some of the sub plots that didn't seem necessary.  But overall a good read
Thank you for granting my wish for this book! Unfortunately, this wasn’t my favorite of the series. It really grabbed my attention at the start and I was hooked, but about a third of the way through, it started dragging and took me forever to read the rest. My rating: 3.5, but upgrading to a 4 because my heart won’t let me give these characters a 3 ;)
Another hit by Jonathan Kellerman!
I have been reading Alex Delaware and Milo Sturgis books for years and I still enjoy them. There is some repetitiveness, in both recapping some history, but also in phrases that seem to recur in every book. This is not enough of a negative to stop me enjoying these novels though. I find that they are a good palate cleanser, refresh if in a slump, type books. They are fast paced with characters that many have come to know and love.
Milo is in the LAPD and taps Alex, “Dr. Delaware”, psychologist and keen-eyed assistant to Milo and team, when there is an unusual or difficult case with a twist. Dr. Delaware is the able-bodied assistant who seems to look at cases with a unique and different perspective. This helps him pull out details that might be overlooked by law enforcement. Alex and Milo have teamed up on numerous cases with a high solve rate.
This novel focuses on the unusual discovery of a naked man who has been hit and killed by a delivery van. The investigation immediately leads to a nearby home that is found to have a second victim, making this clearly not an accidental death by van. The story gets dark and twisted from there and watching this pair and the team unravel the mystery is fun.
Interestingly, my major critique of this edition of an Alex Delaware novel, is that in the first half of the book, Milo has a different speech pattern. This sounds like a strange critique, but when I say that I have read all of these books, I mean it and I feel like the speech patterns for these well known and beloved characters is engrained. Therefore, when Milo spends the early part of the story with phrases like, “blah, blah, blah…no?” This is not Milo’s way of talking and oddly he quit doing it in the second half. I found it kind of distracting because it didn’t sound like the Milo that we know. He must have had at least 10 or more times where he ended his statement with “no?” Just a quirky and distinctive pattern that has not been present for him previously.
I absolutely recommend, as always, the latest Alex Delaware novel to those interested in picking one up (you do not need to read them in order!) or to the longtime lovers of this series. Great fun to read.

#CityoftheDead #NetGalley. #RandomHousePublishingGroupBallantine
How is it possible that this is the thirty-seventh book and yet, the plot still had me hooked? The relationship between Alex, a psychologist, and Milo, a homicide detective is the heart of this series, and have they got a bizarre case to solve this time.
A naked man dies when he runs into a moving vehicle. Then, a female victim is found, and the two deaths appear related. Before long, Milo calls Alex to consult and they are off battling the brutal LA traffic as well as trying to figure out the victims' connection and who would have wanted them dead. Soon, there seems to be a solid suspect, but when he turns up dead, it appears that this might become a cold case.
Of course, this series would not be so good if they did not manage to solve the crime, and this is no exception. Some random pieces of the puzzle come together, and we learn whodunnit and why.
I read this over the long Thanksgiving weekend and could stay up late without worrying about the consequences. I flew through this book and am already looking forward to this duo's next case.
Los Angeles, a city many are drawn to for the light, action, and celebrities. The home of psychologist Alex Delaware and his best friend, Homicide Lt. Detective Milo Sturgis, a home in which they encounter the worst that life can bring. And on this sunny morning, on a pretty street with nice houses, a naked man lies dead in the middle of the street, while a young woman is butchered in the house beyond. Just another day in paradise for these two friends, with a case that strings many different people together, even Alex's Child Consult case becomes involved when one of the parents are linked to the case!
    I have read this series from the start, and this is book #37!! The relationship between these two friends, including their loves and families, never cease to bring a smile to my face. Alex is put to a tough job here, attempting to understand just what happened, who is involved and that almighty question WHY?!! Milo does his job well, but his friend Alex is irreplaceable when trying to get to the heart of each murder, and this case is no different. The road they travel to find the answers is lumpy and twisted, but I'd not want any others on a case I am trying to understand!! An entertaining read that makes you smile, turn your head the other way, and enjoy every little moment, by an author who just gets what people like to read.
     I received an ARC from NetGalley and Random House Publishing, who I sincerely thank, and I offer you my honest thoughts and feelings in thisreview.
In yet another installment in the life of consulting psychologist Dr Alex Delaware and his good friend Homicide Lieutenant Milo Sturgis of the LAPD we are treated to a well written tale of murder and multiple paths that lead the reader to ponder various scenarios of how they might tie together or merely be interesting and educational blind alleys.  The story begins with two long haul household good over the road trying to get to there designated address early one morning on a narrow street in Westwood when suddenly out of nowhere something or someone crashes into their big rig.
After discovering that the something is a now dead nude man the police are called and while investigating a blood trail  discover a murder scene in the house at the end of the blood trail.
When Alex is called to the scene by Lieutenant Sturgis he recognizes the victim inside the house and the many confusing and at times misleading leads begin to develop.
  This book is as good as any of Jonathan Kellerman’s Alex Delaware stories.  I recommend it and all if its predecessors.
I would like to thank the author, publisher, and NetGalley for an advance eARC for review purposes.
City of the Dead is a psychological twisted murder mystery by Jonathan Kellerman.
It is definitely well defined, but at times too mundane for my personal blood thirst.
It is twisted and complex in the storyline, with a surprising ending that even I didn’t see coming.

#netgalley
#CityoftheDead
I don't think I'll ever get tired of Milo and Alex! City of the Dead was a great addition to this long-running series and I found that I couldn't read it fast enough.

The mystery was puzzling, as always, the characters were very interesting and left me wanting to know more, faster, in order to figure out whodunit. Of course, sometimes I get close, but I never get it 100% correct, which is the sign of a good mystery, in my opinion.

If you have enjoyed this series, you'll want to grab City of the Dead.

Thank you to Netgalley, the author, and publishers for an ARC at my request. All thoughts are my own.
As a long time reader of Jonathan Kellerman’s books, I think I keep chasing that surge of suspense that was present in his earlier books. This book delivers in complexity and suspense, but not the great bang of conclusion that some of the previous books had. I’m so thankful to have had the opportunity to read this book and offer my honest opinion.
I always enjoy Alex Delaware books.  I have read all of them and hope they continue for a long time.  They are written in a way that you don't have to have read any of the other books in the series.  The past gets mentioned but it isn't critical to the story.  The characters are real and believable and I like them all (except for the bad "guy" once the perpetrator is known.)  Professor Delaware always seems to care about his patients  and colleagues.  I completely recommend this book.
TO THE POINT:
 Series fans will enjoy more time with Delaware & Sturgis, but this a book for newcomers.
City of the Dead is a solid installment in Jonathan Kellerman's Alex Delaware series.  Alex is called in to consult on the murder of Cordi Gannett , a young woman  Alex had encountered 2 year's before when she  acted as an expert witness at a custody hearing.  Cordi had been masquerading as a Doctor of Psychology when she actually had no credentials.   What ensues is an intricate web of intrigue as Alex and his friend Milo unravel and connect a series of leads and subsequent murders that culminate in a very unexpected culprit.
What ties a naked male body that collides with a moving van and a murdered female a few houses away?
Lieutenant Milo Sturgis gets the call. He calls Dr. Alex Delaware in to see what he can conclude. The plot thickens when Dr. Delaware sees the female victim-- he knows her. Cordie Gannett.  He encountered her in a previous case he worked on two years prior. She was found to be a fraud in that case. As the police investigates things get more complicated with more characters. Can they all be sorted out to find the killer and the reason why? I voluntarily reviewed an ARC of this book