Cover Image: Woman on Fire

Woman on Fire

3.5 stars for this thriller combined with historical fiction! I absolutely loved the premise centering around stolen art from WWII.  Lisa Barr did a fantastic job weaving these genres together. And Woman on Fire is a page turner. My one complaint was that the romance felt forced to me. I felt like it didn't add to the story. Thank you NetGalley and Harper Perennial for the eARC in exchange for an honest review.
A great read and full of suspense.  I liked the strong female characters in this book and way the author ties in their characters’ past throughout the book and not all at once.  It kept me wondering about each character as I read further.  Jules was my favorite character and a headstrong go-getter.

Art stolen by the Nazi’s during the war is an interesting topic and I enjoyed the tie in of that type of horrible crime to the characters in this book.  Historical pieces of art by the various artists of their times tend to have more of a story than just a beautiful painting.
Magnificent!! "Woman of Fire" by Lisa Barr was an extraordinary, exhilarating, fascinating novel about stolen art by the Nazi's, its personal significance and cost, as well as the brave, (some dangerous) characters that will bring the loot to light at any cost. Strong family legacies and much history and powerful art reflections. Absolutely thrilling! The cast of personalities was brilliant, and I personally did not want this book to end. My favorite Lisa Barr so far. Thank you NetGalley, author and publisher for the early review edition. All opinions are my own.
Woman on Fire by Lisa Barr is an exhilarating thrill-ride of a novel, one that will keep you turning the pages long into the night as you’re sucked into this complex story of Nazi-looted art masterpieces, the dark web, unresolved jealousies and long-standing feuds, some dating back decades, some fresh on the page. Jules Roth, our hero,  is an ambitious young reporter helping track down the theft of Ernst Engel’s last painting, a stunning portrait of a beautiful woman who died during the second world war. Another woman, scheming, take-no-prisoners Margaux de Laurent is after the painting as well, for reasons both personal and financial. Add in Adam, the talented painter who left Margaux to reclaim his life and has fallen for Jules, his grandfather Ellis Baum, world-renowned shoe designer with ties to the woman in the portrait, and Dan, investigative journalist and Jules’ mentor, and you’ve got a complex set of characters both fascinating and flawed. This twisty tale of international intrigue, heart-rending betrayal, and epic courage in the face of certain danger will capture both your heart and mind and won’t let go until the harrowing end.

My thanks to NetGalley and Harper Collins for an advanced reader copy in exchange for an honest review.
Lisa Barr has written a masterful thriller that had me hooked from the first paragraph. Barr intertwines the worlds of investigative journalism, high-end art and fashion as she tells the story of a painting that was stolen by the Nazis and the quest to reunite it with its rightful owner.  Who that is exactly and to what means the competing parties will go to in order to reclaim the artwork is at the center of this fast-paced, smart and sophisticated book.  The premise and characters are unique and so well developed that the book has a cinematic quality and the plot twists and ending are finely crafted.  This was my first work by Lisa Barr and I am looking forward to discovering her back catalog. I will recommend this book widely and will eagerly anticipate its publication date! Thank you to NetGalley and Harper Perennial for the opportunity to read Woman on Fire and provide an honest review.
Where should I even begin? Woman on Fire by Lisa Barr was an exhilarating read focused on not only great works of art, but also on the connections that people have amongst one another. I loved how Barr alternated between different character's points of view throughout the novel as it added an extra layer of depth to the story telling. I also really enjoyed all of the characters, even the bad ones, as they were written in a way that made them feel real. This story is definitely targeted to a more mature audience since it does contain some violence and some really heavy topics regarding the Holocaust. The novel was paced really well and had a fantastic ending that made the whole story feel complete. I will definitely be recommending this story to everyone around me!
Exquisite handling of the horrors the Nazis perpetrated under their abhorrent lies of  "saving art."  Lisa Barr's writing is smart, her research impeccable .  Well drawn characters with a different spin on an important subject.  Loved it!
Barr's best work yet, marrying the high stakes world of Nazi stolen art with cut-throat journalism and a cast of characters managing individual issues and losses. Well-researched with smart (and sexy) writing, WOMAN ON FIRE is a fast-paced page-turner that pays thoughtful homage to those who perished in the Holocaust and the exquisite works that became victims too. Highly recommend this novel.
Journalist Jules Roth’s first real job is finding a painting stolen by the Nazis almost eight decades ago. The painting is called Woman on Fire and it was painted by Ernst Engel. Famous fashion designer Ellis Baum wants the painting and has asked Judith’s boss, an old friend to help him. But Jules doesn’t have much time because Ellis is dying. And she’s also up against a formidable adversary, Margaux de Laurent is a millionaire from a family of art collectors and she wants Woman on Fire. Jules has a secret weapon – Ellis’s grandson, Adam, who knows just how ruthless Margaux is and will do anything to bring her down. This is a really interesting twist on stolen Nazi art, Barr had me cheering for Jules and Adam