Cover Image: Knocked Scentsless - A Cozy Mystery (Doused to Death - Book 1)

Knocked Scentsless - A Cozy Mystery (Doused to Death - Book 1)

I think this was a case of 'it's not you, it's me.' This was cute enough, although seemingly very far-fetched with very two dimensional characters. I didn't hate reading it and I think there are a lot of people who will really enjoy this story, but I think cozy mysteries just aren't really for me.

This had a really cute premise, and I did enjoy certain aspects of it, but overall, it was just an ok read for me, and probably would have been a DNF if it hadn't been as short as it was.
This was a charming, if slight, beginning to a new cozy mystery series. I liked the protagonist - and especially liked that she wasn't in the first flush of youth - and am invested in seeing her story continue. The love interest is a bit bland but I hope he'll acquire some personality down the line. To me, the mystery was not as such the point - I was more interested in the small-town shenanigans and colourful cast of characters, all of whom made it a pretty enjoyable read.
It's a classic Who-done it? Nati is a perfumer with an ex-husband and a job that is making her no money at the moment. Her biggest critic happens Old Man Joe and after an intense argument at a local coffee shop, Joe was murdered and found next to a bottle of her perfume. Nati is now the prime suspect and with only the help of Joe's bulldog, Sal, and a hot fireman, has to clear her name. This is the first book in the series, and I am looking forward to the others. It made me laugh and smile. It was fast-paced, and I learned a lot about perfume! I gave it 3.5 stars
Knocked Scentsless is an adorable “cozy mystery” about a murder in a small town right before the Dog Olympics, a huge tourist attracting event, as well as the journey to discover the murderer. Nati is new in town and an aspiring perfumer, trying to make the perfect scent and open up her very own shop. But when Joe Mallory is found dead with one of her perfume bottles, she becomes the number one suspect. Not only is Nati a suspect, but she is put in charge of watching Joe’s grumpy English Bulldog, Salvador or Sal for short. Nati works with the handsome firefighter, Owen, to try to clear her name and discover who really murdered Joe by curating different scents of the different suspects for Sal to sniff to identify who murdered Joe.
This was a very predictable story, from the main character being framed, to falling for the handsome guy, all the way to who murdered Joe and why. There were parts of the story that seemed a little far fetched, but I still loved every second of this book! I loved the pun in the title and Nati’s dedication to discovering the murderer. I also loved how Sal the Bulldog was described, even through he seemed to be much more active than a typical Bulldog. I look forward to the next book in this series and I definitely plan to read other books by this author.
Imaginative, charming, and captivating. I read this in one sitting and was thoroughly engaged in the mystery the entire time. I love how the main character relies on her sense on smell during her daily life (and if I’m being honest, I’m a little jealous of how she can dissect each scent).
This book is the perfect cosy mystery to read by the fire with a cup of tea and the company of your favorite pet. Honestly, I didn't think the plot would be interesting enough to make a difference but it is! Finding the clues by smell rather than the traditional is such a new experience that it makes the book feel really fresh and new. The story keeps being intriguing until the very end when the killer is discovered.
I found this book to be an enjoyable read, fairly quick without being rushed or boring and I am excited for the rest of the series although I'm not sure how the author intends on renewing and developp the storyline, as it is quite specific. Guess we'll have to see!
So excited to pick up more books by the author, and her covers are so pretty too!
I really liked this book.
It was a light read and intriguing. I enjoyed the interesting and unique aspects within the book, like how Nati uses perfume to catch the murderer. This was a fun mystery/thriller book and a good book to start a series. I enjoyed the storyline and recommend it to anyone who is looking for a light mystery book!
Leave all reason, reality and any sense of correct police proceedure at the door because none of it applies here. A grumpy old man has been murdered and Nati Butler is arrested for it because he happens to have a vial of her trial perfume in his pocket at the time this obviously means she did it! She must clear her name using a bulldog as a scent hound for reasons that are absolutely sound as well as making sure she competes in the dog olympics. There’s also a hot fireman who fancies her rotten even though she treats him like trash. This book is ridiculous but I knew it would be when I read the blurb and that ok, it’s fun. There’s a lot packed in there considering how short it is, I read it in a couple of hours it’s not a taxing read so just, you know, don’t over think it, that way madness lies.
I want to thank Netgalley and the author for gifting me the ebook. I consider this a short story and it was cute and  easy read. Lighthearted.
In Which We Meet…
Nati Butler -  whose career and life seems to be at a standstill until she’s mixed up in murder - in this first in the Doused to Death series of cosy mysteries. An amusing tale with a compelling, entertaining and likeable protagonist and an action packed storyline. A short, fun read.
I enjoyed this visit with Nati, Sal, and Owen.  The mystery was solid and kept me guessing.  I loved the premise of creating scent profiles to determine who the killer was to help the witness with identification.  There were a few moments where common sense should have prevailed - I am not a fan of breaking in or obtaining information illegally - but it happens.  I'll be interested to see how the scent profiles will be used in subsequent stories.
I chose this book mostly because of the play on words in the title. It is catchy enough, and after reading the book, I can confirm, appropriate.
This is the first in a brand new cozy mystery series with a female lead with a unique education.
I do not think I have met a 'nose' in this kind of plotline before. I must also say that this was a surprisingly short story (or felt like one), something I did not notice beforehand. When Nati is introduced to us, she is a little down in the dumps because she is yet to open her perfumery. She left a career to settle down in a town native to her (now) ex-husband. He left, and she stays behind but has to bear the brunt of building herself back up. She is slightly older than some of the other characters that I usually encounter in such tales.
The plot begins immediately by introducing the person most likely to find himself removed from the story. There are many possible suspects after his untimely death and his acerbic nature, but Nati wants to get to the bottom of it because she tops the list in the beginning.
I did not guess the ending until Nati, and her possible future beau figured things out by old-fashioned detecting (following up on clues, interviews .etc). Nati's olfactory skills are utilized in narrowing down the suspect pool.
Overall, this is a good introduction to a series, and the writing is also snappy. It has that humour displayed in the blurb scattered throughout the narrative, making it a fast and easy read. It was enjoyable, and I might pick up the next if I get the chance.
I received an ARC thanks to NetGalley and the publishers but the review is entirely based on my own reading experience.
A quirky and fun little cozy murder mystery with a healthy splash of romance. The main character is a perfumer and has a nose for details and a personal stake in solving this particular crime, especially after all signs seem to point to her as the culprit. I enjoyed every minute of this kitschy romp, would recommend.
𝓚𝓷𝓸𝓬𝓴𝓮𝓭 𝓢𝓬𝓮𝓷𝓽𝓼𝓵𝓮𝓼𝓼
𝓑𝔂 𝓛𝓪𝓷𝓰𝓵𝓮𝔂 𝓖𝓻𝓪𝔂

༄༄༄༄༄༄༄༄༄༄༄༄༄༄༄༄

"𝑰'𝒗𝒆 𝒈𝒐𝒕 𝒂 𝒑𝒂𝒓𝒕𝒏𝒆𝒓 𝒊𝒏 𝒄𝒓𝒊𝒎𝒆 𝒉𝒆𝒓𝒆."

𝑶𝒘𝒆𝒏'𝒔 𝒆𝒚𝒆𝒃𝒓𝒐𝒘𝒔 𝒍𝒊𝒇𝒕𝒆𝒅. "𝑷𝒂𝒓𝒕𝒏𝒆𝒓 𝒊𝒏 𝒄𝒓𝒊𝒎𝒆?"

"𝑵𝒐! 𝑵𝒐𝒕 𝒄𝒓𝒊𝒎𝒆. 𝑷𝒂𝒓𝒕𝒏𝒆𝒓 𝒊𝒏 𝒔𝒐𝒍𝒗𝒊𝒏𝒈 𝒄𝒓𝒊𝒎𝒆. 𝑪𝒓𝒊𝒎𝒆 𝒔𝒐𝒍𝒗𝒆𝒓𝒔. 𝑪𝒓𝒊𝒎𝒆 𝒔𝒕𝒐𝒑𝒑𝒆𝒓𝒔? 𝒀𝒆𝒔, 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕'𝒔 𝒕𝒉𝒆 𝒏𝒂𝒎𝒆. 𝑻𝒉𝒂𝒕'𝒔 𝒘𝒉𝒂𝒕 𝒘𝒆 𝒂𝒓𝒆."

Nati Butler is a recently divorced perfumer who lives in a small town named Roslyn. When the suspicion of Joe Mallory murder falls on her, Nati needs to prove her innocence. With Salvador, the late Joe's dog alongside with Owen, the handsome firefighter ❥, she begins her murder pursuit to bring justice to herself.

I LOVE this book so much. It was such a fun and entertaining read. I finish this book in a day, which obviously show how enjoyable this book is. The author, Langley Gray ways of storytelling are really engaging and entertaining, which makes the reading experience so wonderful. This book keeps making me smiling and laughing to the point that my cheeks ache. I'm impressed with the way Nati used scents to determine who the murderer is, although it wasn't a definite proof, the scent did help with the murder investigation.

I'm not familiar with cozy mystery genre, but I fall in love with it after finishing this book. If you're looking for some comfort read, with an interesting mystery and cute romance ♡, Knocked Scentsless might be just the perfect book for you. I'm so looking forward to read the second book in the Doused to Death Series and other Langley Gray works.

Why do you have to read Knocked Scentsless? ༄

A gentlemanly and handsome firefighter? ☑
A few small town dramas? ☑
Friendly mystery? ☑
Would give you a good laugh? ☑
Awesome characters? ☑
Cute romance? ☑
Perfume talk? ☑

❦ I willingly request this arc from Netgalley so the review is solely based on my honest opinion.✿
Nati Butler lives in a small mountain town in Washington - Roslyn. She makes perfume which is her passion and her home is a room above her empty shopfront. She is trying to perfect her signature scent and will remain virtually penniless until then, only just scraping by on her earnings from her job as a barista at Cuppa Café. Her husband has left her and life is bleak at the moment, though Nati knows she has reasons to be thankful. Then Joe, a grumpy old bloke who and has coffee in the Café every day with 3 friends and his chocolate coloured dog, Salvador and is highly critical of Nati, ​is found dead...

Knocked Scentsless was such a fun, unique, and charming story that I didn't want to put down between chapters. The plot was a good 'un and I loved the characters. Nati is determined to realise her ambition, and it was wonderful to meet her. I liked the addition of the interesting facts about fragrances. This is a series I would love to continue with as Langley Gray's highly addictive storytelling really worked for me. A super, refreshing tale.

I received a complimentary copy of this novel at my request from the publisher/ author via NetGalley and this review is my unbiased opinion.
This was a really fun and lighthearted mystery I really really enjoyed it. I really do love mysteries but there is always that singular worry that I won’t enjoy what I’m reading or I’ll hate it. But this was genuinely perfect and I can’t wait to see where else this author goes with her works! This was delightful. 5 out of 5 stars!
A light hearted, slightly nutty but very friendly murder mystery. The tale is very fun, not built on tightening suspense but humourous characters, a generally loveable dog and small town excitement over the dog olympics. The baddies are bad and the goodies are good and a nice and light read follows.
I loved this book!

The cover of this book had me hooked and the story line did the rest. Knocked Scentsless is a fast paced and cosy mystery read, with a dog being the only witness in a strange turn in events.

This quirky read is written brilliantly and aids in it being an easy and enjoyable read.

Simply beautiful, a read that I feel most would enjoy.

A HUGE thank you to Langley Grey and NetGalley for an eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.
This book delivers everything it promises, it is the perfect book for a late summer weekend. It has enough excitement to keep up your interest but stays on the slower side.
The setting is great, both the town and its residents were charming, while the dog Olympics is just on the right side of ridiculous. I lover Muriel the most. And of course Owen! He was a great, and I rooted for them. The romance is quite slow burn. as they are preoccupied with other things.
The writing was really readable, I enjoyed the book on a line level, and I especially loved the fragrance angle, the description of the smells were so detailed!

That said, there were a few weaker elements of the book.
For example I cannot understand why a found perfume vial would mean she was the murderer, the whole investigation was a bit wobbly, as in why would the mayor tell her anything about his alibi? Usually it wasn't hard to suspend my disbelief, but there were these moments when I got a bit confused.
Once they think the mayor lies when it was established a chapter ago that what he says is quite probable
and all in all I felt like Nati acted more like a teenager than an actual adult.
This ARC was provided to me via Kindle by Langley Gray and #NetGalley for my honest opinion.

Quite enjoyable first in what will hopefully be a long cozy series! Exciting from beginning to end.