Cover Image: The Tale of the Tailor and the Three Dead Kings

The Tale of the Tailor and the Three Dead Kings

Dan Jones has taken a medieval story and introduced it to a modern audience.  I really enjoyed this book, its quite short so its a quick read as well!  I hope this is the start of things to come.

Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for an eARC of this book in exchange for an honest review.  All opinions are my own.
Dan Jones has picked the perfect tale to resurrect. A short story (only 95 pages) from a monk written 600 years ago. The tale it said to be a true account but is full of the supernatural. Dan Jones had retold it wonderfully. Would recommended and worth a read
The Tale of the Tailor and the Three Dead Kings by Dan Jones was a very good  creepy medieval ghost story and very interesting read. Plus great for sitting round a camp fire with marsh mellow, telling ghost stories on cold night leading up to Halloween. I loved it.
Creepy and atmospheric retelling of an early ghost story. Horror fans may be left wanting more, but I thought it was great and very interesting to have this window to the past. A short but absorbing read with fascinating background information.
A strange little book, I couldn't really connect with the story.  I did however enjoy the foreword explaining how the texts were discovered etc.
This book was really far too short to merit any in depth analysis,  The forword and historical notes were longer and frankly more interesting than the novella
This was a wonderful story. I really enjoyed reading it. I loved how the author introduced it telling us how it it was discovered. The story itself is very short but it had great atmosphere and tension. Im sure if Dan had wanted to he could of padded it out more. I would say it was definitely a page turner and a exciting and creepy quick read with the excellent added history lesson. I definitely recommend this book to all those who love a great short story that is both horror and a historical fiction story. I also thought it was wonderful at the end how the author wrote a short history of the area in which the book was set. Also there was a picture of the original manuscript and it was wrote out in Latin. Now if you are reading this book on the kindle fire switch to text to speech as it's funny. Now I'm not sure if they are reading Latin or reading as it sounds but I had a great time listening to it being read.

I just love the authors history books and thought this was a great introduction into his fictional world. I actually hope he write more of these genre hybrid books where we get a real history lesson and then into the historical fiction story. I would like them a lot longer though as I just love losing myself in a good book.

Many thanks to the author and publishers for creating this fantastic debut novel in his non-fiction/historical fiction hybrid journey.

The above review has already been placed on goodreads, waterstones, Google books, Barnes&noble, kobo, amazon UK where found and my blog today https://ladyreading365.wixsite.com/website/post/the-tale-of-the-tailor-and-three-dead-kings-by-dan-jones-head-of-zeus-4-stars either under my name or ladyreading365
I can’t get into this book.. other books I finished in a week but I just can’t finish this one. Sadly. It doesn’t grab my attention when trying to read.
Fascinating!
Dan Jones has done an amazing job of taking a medieval ghost story and delivering it to a modern audience.
The story itself is engaging and eerie, to say the least. It is beautifully presented, with as little editing done by Jones as possible. This has helped to retain the atmosphere and plot of the original story.
The story itself is accompanied by an extensive historical note, giving the background to Byland Abbey and the monks who wrote the original series of stories that this tale was taken from.
The whole concept makes for a unique and pleasurable reading experience.
This spooky ghost story was to short, and I feel that I need to read it a second time to fully understand and enjoy the tale.
The background information in this book was great but I struggled with the story itself - I don’t think it translates into the 21st century very well. Not one for me I’m afraid.
Discovered in a set of Latin manuscripts dating from the year 1400 by celebrated ghost story writer M. R James in the early 1920s, “The Tale of the Tailor and the Three Dead Kings” has been adapted in a compelling novelette by Dan Jones.

This was such was an creepy and eerie read. Even though it’s a short read it packs in quite a punch.

A great little gift for anyone looking for the perfect present for the Halloween obsessed or for anyone who likes a spooky read.

If you liked ‘A Christmas Carol’ or ‘Sleepy Hollow’ then this is for you.

The Tale of the Tailor and the Three Dead Kings’ is a unexpected gem of a chiller, ideal for sitting close to the fire on a cold late autumn night and starting after tea and finishing just before bed.
Liked the background information of this book, but struggled to get into the story itself. Perhaps its shortness was a factor, or maybe I expected too much from a 12th-century tale in comparison to the modern ghost story format. Either way, I was ultimately left feeling disappointed, so it wasn't for me.
The chilling medieval ghost story, The Tale of the Tailor and the Three Dead Kings retold by Dan Jones, that was only published in 2021. This tale tells of how, one winter, in the dark days of King Richard II, a tailor was riding home on the road from Gilling to Ampleforth. When, out of nowhere, he is knocked off his horse and met by a ghastly apparition that warns of dire consequences if is does not perform a task and repent.

Apparently, this tale was first recorded in the early fifteenth century by an unknown monk, and then was later transcribed from the Latin by the great medievalist M.R. James in 1922. Building on that, bestselling historian Dan Jones version is told in a crisp and creepy prose, that is easily accessible for today’s readers. However it is so short that I don’t think I got a real feel for Jones’ own style and while I enjoyed it, I was left wanting more!
I will update the review with a link to our blog closer to publication date.
I'd like to thank the publisher and netgalley for providing me with an advance reader copy in exchange for an honest review.
This is in effect a 'short story'. It is derived from an ancient record, the details of which are described before you get to the telling. The actual Latin is included at the end of the book.
It is an interesting enough tale and well written, that is obviously based on events relating to individuals living about the area at the time of the record.
I'm not used to reading short stories and found it strange to finish a book so soon. However it was good enough in its telling. I'm not sure that I would buy it, but others may find it a fun gift.
This is more of a historical documents that a ghost story.
The forward gives an interesting account of the background, explaining who wrote it, when and where the story was found and then translated.
At the end there is a copy of the original Latin.

Most of the historical novels we read are from the late 18th and 19th centuries. The rules of etiquette and society can be bemusing while characters express themselves different but they are still set in the age of science, post-industrial revolution.
This story is from the 15th century, even before Shakespeare and about the same time as Chaucer.

Although the story line sounds like something from a paranormal fantasy, there is nothing fantastical in the tone of the narrative.
Despite the Three Kings in the titles this is the story of a simple tailor who has no doubt his visions are truly visitations from evil forces. He also has no doubt that his problem will be solved if he pays a small fortune to a couple of corrupt clergy in order for them to provide a small amount of magical, mystical writing.
Most of the stories in history are written about kings and rich noblemen, this short tale gives a little insight into the life of an ordinary person in the 15th century. And yes, a monk scribbling down stories in the back of a manuscript made the priests in his story corrupt and greedy.

Not really a ghost story but well worth a read.
Firstly I would like to say thank you to netgalley The publisher and the author for allowing me access to this eARC.

Apologies For the late review

This is a modernised Story from historical ghost stories and I think this guy did really well and modernising it and creating a more in-depth story but I don’t think historical books are for me although this was interesting
Our tale begins with the tailor named Snowball and his horse Borin traveling home from Gilling to Ampleforth one November night. All of a sudden, Snowball is attacked by a raven that transforms into a grotesque dog. The dog gives Snowball a mission that only he can complete, to find a specific priest to ask for absolution for a criminal with no name and whose crime we do not know. There will be consequences if he does not return to the same spot where he has met the dog.
Chilling!  Loved it
Ghost Stories from the 12th Century, as transcribed by medieval monks who has a little extra space at the end of a transcript.
I got this from NetGalley, and while not especially scary to modern tastes, I can imagine in a more superstitious time this was the Stephen King equivalent.

I enjoyed reading about the provenance of these stories, how the current author rejigs and retells the original modern publication of the 1920's. It is thought-provoking to think my ancestors may have been enthralled by these stories.

Overall, a nice insight into the entertainment of the time, and adds some colour and flavour to what we routinely think of as the Dark Ages.