Cover Image: Fun with 50 States

Fun with 50 States

This book was full of fun and interesting activities and factoids about each of the 50 states. The information on each state isn’t provided in a systematic fashion, the same information isn’t provided for each state, so I don’t think this would suitable for education purposes. It would be perfect for car or plane rides, however, as the activities are short and engaging for younger audiences with lots of bright graphics.
This is a fun little geography book. It is geared for young children. Each state has about 6-10 random sentences about the state. Some highlight things that happened first in that state. Others showcase popular or historical events. Some are just unusual facts about the state. I learned some things like where the most crooked street in the world is or which state makes the most popcorn. I didn’t know that the seven spikes on the Statue of Liberty represent the seven oceans and seven continents.

There are a couple activities for each state. They tended to be things like coloring, dot to dot or find the matching race cars. While there was a connection to the state, it was more busy work rather than helping you learn more about the state. Because of the nature of the activities, it would be a lot better to get a print copy of the book rather than purchase the kindle edition.

I could see using this in a kindergarten or first grade room for a five minute geography lesson. It’s more random than comprehensive and gives just a little taste or flavor to the state.

Thank you to Zeitgeist for providing me with a free e-copy of this book. All opinions are my own.
I read this ARC via NetGalley, with my 11 year old. This is our review.

What a FUN book to learn or review about the 50 States!
Facts, varied activities (connect the dots, coloring, decoding, spot the differences, etc.) and cartoon-like illustrations. Some of the activities were reusing the information from the State introduction text but in a game setting, like a mini-test: helpful to memorize the facts. Great concept!
This is the perfect book for when you're going on a road trip with your kids. It'll keep them entertained along with helping their brain grow with helping them learn more!
3.5 ☆ rounded up

During the Covid-19 pandemic, domestic travel in the US is looking more appealing than ever. Fun with 50 States would either be an entertaining and educational way to prepare for a trip or to distract elementary school-age kids during the less interesting stretches of road between destinations. With 2 to 3 pages for each state and the 5 US territories, basic information included the capitals, populations, and state flags. Facts that will improve one's chances on "Jeopardy" were given ranging from states with the greatest number of caves, sunflowers, or dinosaurs. Little games such as coded messages, crosswords, find the differences,  etc. ensured that this wasn't a text-heavy book.

Thank you to Penguin Random House and NetGalley for providing me with a digital ARC (ISBN 9780593196982). Publication date was August 25, 2021.
This is honestly a book I wish I would have had when I was young! I can certainly imagine my child loving a book like this, and would be something to help fill the time on a road trip or just to lug around the house! The activities were simple and doable for a child, but some of them will challenge them, which is a good thing. I only wish that there would be more facts about the states, but overall I think this book will be a hit with its target age group.

Thanks to NetGalley for an advanced copy in exchange for my honest opinion.
The best home school, road trip, or anytime learning activity book for kids aged 8-13.  It’s filled with lots of information and fun facts about each state and the activities in it are fun to do.
Not only very informative, but also very interesting. Perfect for kids to learn at a young age every fact of all the amazing states of America. Plus, it has some interesting and fun games. Highly recommended!
Thank you NetGalley, Nicole Claesen and Zeitgeist for the copy Fun with 50 States. This is my personal review.
This was such a fun book! My adult daughter and I go on a road trip every summer. This book is going to help us as we do on our trips. We now have facts and trivia about where we are going.
It was a great book to read. It is a great book for all my friends who are homeschooling. The knowledge this book is packed with will make learning so fun for them. The huge number of activities will be a great addition for them to use.
This is a great gift to give to parents with school age children.
I really enjoyed everything about this book. It makes learning about the 50 states fun. There is a lot of fun  mazes, word finding games ,coloring and more . If your going on a road trip bring this along it will entertain you and your kids. It has lots of fun facts about each state also . Iwould definitely recommend this book.
I received this book for free for an honest review from netgalley #netgelley

I am homeschooling my two sons through this pandemic in this book has been immensely helpful with me teaching geography thank you so much.
Thank you for the opportunity to review this book. It has lots of information about each state and has activity pages for the child to complete. The descriptions are brief to keep students interested . This book reminds me of a book I had when I was a child. This is a book I would love to purchase in paper form for my boys when they get older.
Using this book this year with my students while we learn about the 50 states. Such a good book and I really think my students will enjoys the activities. Highly recommend!
This would be the PERFECT book for cross country roadtrips! I love how it teaches you all about the states in fun ways. It was fabulously done.
Good activity book for elementary school age kids. There are pages on each state, and they include a paragraph, a box with info like capital/population/facts, and then some activities. There isn't a ton of info about each state, but this is a nice format to give enough to get kids interested in finding out more.
Cute activity book for children that covers all 50 states plus, Washington DC and US Territories.  Each state gets a brief highlight, for example my home state has 5 national parks and is home to one of the largest saltwater lakes in the world.  Other info includes flag, capitol, population, date of statehood, nickname and state bird and flower.  Each state also has two activities for children including coloring, codes, matching games, differences in pictures, word searches, mazes and dot to dots.  Activity books are made to be written in and colored so it wouldn't be good for a school or public library.  The book is appropriate for elementary age kiddos.  I was happy to see it include US territories that often are forgotten about it state books.  Thank you to NetGalley and the publisher for a temporary ARC ebook in exchange for an honest review.
This is exactly the kind of activity book I loved when I was a child. Fun With 50 States is both educational and fun for children. Each state is represented in this book and there are activities as well as interesting facts on every page.

The variety of activities throughout the book is impressive without being redundant. There are word searches, spot the difference photos, fill in the blank and so much more. There are even coloring pages and spaces to draw illustrations of your own for added creative time. At the end of each state there is information regarding the state capital/flower/bird, etc. all of which will be very helpful at school time.

The illustrations are all colorful and nicely detailed. Overall this book is a great learning tool for children, yet fun at the same time. The activities are varied enough that they won’t get bored and will still learn at the same time.

Thank you to NetGalley and Zeitgeist, Z Kids for the eARC.
Pros: I knew I wanted to read this book as soon as I saw the cover. I love maps, flags, travel, and history, and I'm always looking for books to share these loves with the kids in my life. One of my favorite things about this book was the illustrations--specifically the representation of the people in the illustrations. When I see a book with illustrated people, I ask myself if a child were reading the book, would they see themselves in the illustrations. Another thing I appreciated about this book is that in addition to the 50 states, it also included US territories that often tend to be left out. (I was also glad to see the new Mississippi flag in this book!) I thought the activities in this book were fun and could be appropriate for a child to work on on their own or for a family to work on together. I can see a family taking this book on a road trip and sharing the fun facts about the different states they drive through.

Cons: I think maps of the US are often confusing because of the question of where to put Hawaii, Alaska, and the US territories as they are not part of the contiguous 48.

Thank you to NetGalley and Zeitgeist, Z Kids for the opportunity to read this book.
Readers of my blog know that I am a fan of activity books. I think that it is helpful to offer children activities that use crayons and pencils, not just screens. Activity books can also be great sources of entertainment when kids are spending long hours in cars or other forms of transportation.

This activity book on the fifty states is an excellent one for its age group. There is a section of interesting facts for each state, always followed by an activity. It could be a code to break or a word search puzzle or a spot the difference challenge, or maybe a maze or matching game, to give just some examples. Information is also included on each state’s capital, population, region, when it acquired statehood, state flower and bird and state nickname.

Let a child you know have the chance to learn about the U.S. while being entertained.

Many thanks to NetGalley and the publisher. All opinions are my own.