Cover Image: And There He Kept Her

And There He Kept Her

Good debut by Joshua Moehling. Very, very dark. It's a police procedural with a highly likeable acting sheriff that I am looking forward to learn more about in the next installments. It's definitely set up to be a series.

It was a quick read, great pacing throughout.

Thanks to NetGalley for this ARC. I offer my review freely.
Wow wow wow. Can I give this more than five stars? Please? This book was PHENOMENAL.
Two teenagers go missing; Ben Packard is the acting sheriff on the case. Packard works tirelessly to try to connect the dots that connect these missing teenagers to the suspicious drug activities of others in the small town of Sandy Lake. The synopsis does not do this book justice. A story of personal journey, victimhood and abuse– this novel hits all the emotions.

This book was incredibly well written. Absolutely one of the best books I’ve read in months. Moehling’s character development is BEYOND excellent, making the reader worried for the victims while still (almost?) empathizing with the abuser. How many authors can do that? Not many. This was a page turner, for sure. Every moment of the day I couldn’t wait to get home and read it. As a fan of thrillers, I found this one to be top notch. The best part about this book is that nothing was too “far fetched”. The twists and turns were optimally organic, and it read like a gorgeous jigsaw puzzle being placed together. When the book finishes, it feels like you’ve put that last piece of the puzzle in and can sit back and enjoy it.  I’m also hoping that Moehling continues with a Ben Packard series… this novel was so good, I think we’d all enjoy more!

I highly recommend And There He Kept Her for any lovers of crime, thrillers, suspenseful books, or fiction of all types. Special thank you to NetGalley, Joshua Moehling, and Poisoned Pen Press for an advanced reader copy in exchange for an honest review.
Two teenagers, Jesse and Jenny, break into a house - unfortunately, the homeowner Emmett Burr is home and shoots the boy and imprisons the female. The acting sheriff Ben Packard is contacted by his cousin Susan Wheeler to report her missing daughter Jenny. Concern increases when it is revealed that Jenny is a diabetic and requires insulin to stay alive. The investigation reveals that Jesse was a drug dealer and the race is on to uncover his supplier and clients. Hopefully, information will lead to finding Jesse and Jenny. It is revealed that Emmett has a special room that he has used to keep a woman chained up and has yet to decide Jenny's fate.
Thanks to NetGalley for a copy.
Brilliant, Jesse and Jenny are missing being teenagers people think they have run away together this is not so, Ben Packard is new in town he is a police officer, he has bad memories from this youth when he and the family used to holiday here, Sandy Lake is a small town with secrets, this is a debut novel from this author and I honestly believe he did a great job and looking forward to reading more of his books
A classic girl goes missing, police looking for her, shady dudes doing messed up stuff and a good ending. Great for a quick, fast-paces afternoon read! Kept me interested from beginning to end!
If you like mysteries set in small towns enveloped by secrets, this one is for you. Is there anyone in Sandy Lake who doesn't have a secret? Well, you'll just have to read And There He Kept Her to find out. You certainly won't be disappointed. It's a well-paced debut with a good plot. I was pleasantly surprised. The final act is especially well done. This book displays enough promise that you'll come back for the next one. Thank you to Poisoned Pen Press and NetGalley for the advance reading copy! #AndThereHeKeptHer
This story moves at a good pace and kept me interested. The main character is likable and the story centers mostly around him so this felt like It might possibly be the first novel in a series. I liked the others involved in this story and the small town feel was definitely present while reading. The ending was as expected if a bit unbelievable for me. A good one to add to your list for an upcoming vacation read.

Thank you to NetGalley for an advanced copy in exchange for an honest review.
I really enjoyed this book. Well, enjoy?  I am not a fan of gore or violence against women but it was well done and kept me reading to see what happened next.  I was most intrigued by the characters who were an very interesting group from Ben, the Sheriff to Emmett, the criminal and how the author developed the story and the characters. Most intriguing were their complex personalities and the struggles between good and evil, as well as their relationships with their co-workers, friends and family.
I look forward to the follow up novels!
ARC provided by NetGalley for an Honest Review
I am pretty taken aback by how quickly I was sucked into this book and how much I enjoyed it. This book felt just like watching an intense but horrifying episode of Criminal Minds. The author builds a dual perspective story told via the POVs of both the MC, the local small town Deputy (but really, acting Sheriff) and the villain. At times the amount of characters got a bit confusing but it didn’t take long once invested to differentiate between most. With the MC doing so many interviews and meetups with locals those minor interactions helped not only build the setting but also provide identities to a select few townspeople. I’m thinking a lot of this is also stage setting for a larger series, to which I’d be fully on board to read.
After a young girl and her boyfriend go missing MC Packard takes on the case working in lieu of the sheriff whose out while receiving cancer treatments. Packard is new to the town but visited when he was younger so he does have his own roots linking him to the town. What I really liked about Packard was his intelligence. His reasoning and on the job skills not only led me to see him as a reliable and trustworthy cop. Honestly the fact that the missing girl is his niece does little to challenge his perspective and he behaves like he gives every case his all.
The book does touch on heavy subjects so if you can’t even watch any crime shows on tv this will really not be for you. If you’re in the mood for an excellent detective novel, with adventure, mystery and some pretty creepy moments this should definitely, at the very least, land on your radar. Really intense and exciting read. Great debut and hopefully the first of many in a new series!
Wow! This book had me on the edge of my seat the entire time. Hard to believe this is a debut novel by Joshua Moehling; it blew me away! It was fast paced, thrilling and wonderfully written. I loved the characters, especially Gary and Susan, they just added some humor to the mix, which was a nice addition to the whole story. I can't wait to see what the author has in store for us next, hopefully something more from our small town of Sandy Lake.

Thank you Netgalley and Poisoned Pen Press Publishing for letting me read this ARC in exchange for an honest review!
Woah!  This is a super creepy, dark and somewhat disturbing mystery/ thriller.  In a small dusty town of Sandy Lake, two teenagers Jesse and Jenny break into an older man´s house in hopes of finding pills.  They presumed he was as helpless as he was elderly.  Holy smokes were they wrong.  What happens next will have your jaw on the floor!  We also meet the Sheriff, Ben and the story unfolds around him.  There is so much suspense and on edge feel!  I loved every minute!
Wow!  Joshua Moehling is a name to know!  And There He Kept Her is a suspenseful police procedural with a heart.  The novel's characters are fully outlined and people you can know and love after just a few pages.  I am very glad this is the start of a new series because I want to read more by Moehling about Packard and Sandy Lake.
This book had me hooked from page one. Every character comes alive on the pages. The main character seems to be someone I want  to read more about. The story progressed quickly and is a real page turner. You find yourself absorbed in the pages and hoping for the best outcome   A well
Written mystery that the author weaves easily and keeps the reader wanting more.  Run out and get this one.  You won’t be sorry. .
This is a book about 2 teenagers who go missing in a small town. This book kept me guessing what would happen until the very end! There are twists and turns you won't expect. I couldn't put it down! I hope we'll get to see more of Sherif Packard!
When you explain the book out loud, the synopsis sounds great.  But once I started reading it fell flat for me. A lot of smaller details and un-needed information was thrown in there and made the story line drag out. I usually get a book done in a day or two but this took me so long. I didn’t look forward to picking it back up and had to push myself through it.
And There He Kept Her by Joshua Moehling grabbed my attention from the first page and did not let go. Hard to believe this is a debut novel! As you can tell from the dark cover, its a thriller/suspense that is perfectly creepy. It begins with two teens breaking into a house in search of narcotics, little do they know the homeowner is there and he doesn’t take kindly to these kids invading his space…. and the story is off and running!

Here’s what you need to know:

When two teenagers break into a house on a remote lake in search of prescription drugs, what starts as a simple burglary turns into a nightmare for all involved. Emmett Burr has secrets he’s been keeping in his basement for more than two decades, and he’ll do anything to keep his past from being revealed. As he gets the upper hand on his tormentors, the lines blur between victim, abuser, and protector.

Personal tragedy has sent former police officer Ben Packard back to the small Minnesota town of Sandy Lake in search of a fresh start. Now a sheriff’s deputy, Packard is leading the investigation into the missing teens, motivated by a family connection. As clues dry up and time runs out to save them, Packard is forced to reveal his own secrets and dig deep to uncover the dark past of the place he now calls home.

Coming out in June.
337 pages

5 stars

Emmett Burr is hiding a big secret. This book contains vignettes describing Emmett and his actions. Emmett also has a quasi friend or partner of sorts.

Acting sheriff of Sandy Lake Ben Packard catches the case of two missing teens. Alerted by his estranged cousin, Susan, she reports her daughter Jenny missing. Following up on leads, Ben knows that she and her boyfriend Jesse left together - and without their cell phones.

Meanwhile, Jenny and Jesse break into an old ramshackle house in search of prescription drugs. Tragedy strikes.

Ben’s investigation leads him to a conspiracy of sorts. There is a group of people who break into houses and take mostly opioid drugs. When they start getting killed, Ben and his fellow deputies are continuing their investigation.

The plot of this book is complicated and fascinating. In between responding to the usual nuisance calls and auto accidents, the search for the killer intensifies.

Digging deeper into the conspiracy reveals secrets long held.

This book tells a story that is told on two levels. The investigation is one while on the other hand, we see what happens between Jenny, Emmett and his circle of acquaintances.  The tension is palpable and slowly increases as the pages fly by. The conclusion of the story is exciting and well told.

There are bodies everywhere…

This is Mr. Moehling’s debut novel. It is absolutely great! It is very well written and plotted. The transitions are smooth and nearly flawless. I was very pleased at the well thought out and colorful descriptions of the characters and the scenery of the little town of Sandy Lake. I really liked Ben and hope to read more about him. I would have liked to know more about him, but that may come in future books.

I want to thank NetGalley and Poisoned Pen Press for forwarding to me a copy of this remarkable debut novel for me to read, enjoy and review. The opinions expressed here are solely my own.
I got this ebook from netgalley in exchange for a review! This book started out a bit slow for me but when I got to between 20-25% it picked up and it turned out to be such a good book ! A very fast paced book! The characters were great and storyline was too. I liked how the book ended , I'd definitely recommend this book even though it's not my usual genre.
When two teenagers break into a house on a remote lake in search of prescription drugs, what starts as a simple burglary turns into a nightmare for all involved. Emmett Burr has secrets he's been keeping in his basement for more than two decades, and he'll do anything to keep his past from being revealed. As he gets the upper hand on his tormentors, the lines blur between victim, abuser, and protector.

Personal tragedy has sent former police officer Ben Packard back to the small Minnesota town of Sandy Lake in search of a fresh start. Now a sheriff's deputy, Packard is leading the investigation into the missing teens, motivated by a family connection. As clues dry up and time runs out to save them, Packard is forced to reveal his own secrets and dig deep to uncover the dark past of the place he now calls home.

Unrelentingly suspenseful and written with a piercing gaze into the dark depths of the human soul, And There He Kept Her is a thrilling page-turner that introduces readers to a complicated new hero and forces us to consider the true nature of evil.
A small lakeside town which suffered from the disappearance of two women 20 years earlier, now finds itself without the Chief of Police when they need him the most.  Newcomer to the squad, Packard becomes the acting Chief handling squabbles between neighbors, minor car accidents and general slow, small town crime.  Thrown into the investigation of the disappearance of his cousin's 16-year-old daughter, Packard discovers a narcotics ring run by the grandson of the current Chief of Police.  How the disappearance of Jenny is tied to drugs, murder and a secret kept for 30 years keeps the plot moving along.  A personal secret kept by Packard is sprinkled throughout the story but does not add anything to the investigation of the crime itself.  Various secondary characters are given minor rolls in the unraveling of the mystery.  Enjoyable reading for the crime itself, but could have been tightened up a bit.
A dark twisty thriller set in the Northwoods of Minnesota. The book does take an unexpected turn at the end and your sympathies may waiver.