Cover Image: And There He Kept Her

And There He Kept Her

Although i enjoyed this book it was dark and creepy i could only read in the daytime! Yes i was that scared! Thank you for the arc Netgalley!
For a debut author, I must admit I absolutely loved it. It was such a different take on the kidnapping genre. Whilst I was reading it my thoughts were very grown up - the exploration into the different themes - small town, sexuality, etc was very interesting.

I will definitely look forward to any more books by this author.

I was given an advance copy by netgalley and the publishers but the review is entirely my own.
A huge thank you to the author and publisher for providing an e-ARC via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review!

Two teenagers, Jesse and Jenny, break into Emmett’s house to steal his painkillers to sell to other kids. But their plan goes awry when Emmett catches them, aims his shotgun at them, and keeps one of them as a prisoner in his basement. Meanwhile, Sheriff Packard is on the hunt for the missing teens in hopes that he can discover what happened to the two of them before it’s too late.

While the synopsis was intriguing, what really caught my attention was someone’s review that she DNF’d this book because it was too much for her. Sign me up! Is it bad that I’m drawn towards disturbing books?

I really like books with big plot twists, but there were no surprises with this one. It also seemed to drag on for quite some time during the middle of the book, so I found myself not wanting to pick up the book at times. Overall though, it was a decent read, and I look forward to reading more of Joshua Moehling’s books in the future!
And There He Kept Her took me by a complete surprise and shocked me to my core. I adore the characters, the feuds and the secrets. I love every single POV we hear the story from, from our lovably, interesting cop who happens to be hiding in the closet after the death of his husband in a small southern town. To the interesting neighbors, one a dog rescuer and the other.. well… she’s something.

And then we have the two teenage lovebirds. One dead. One captive. And the two men who hold the girl’s life in their hands.

This was, hands down, one of the best crime thrillers I have read in a very long time. The authentic development of the characters, the vibrant personalities and histories of every single character and how they fit into the story.

Absolutely breathtaking, creepy, and a book that every crime nerd will love. I had goosebumps for days. Brilliant work and I cant wait to see more from this author.
⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

Jenny and her boyfriend Jesse find themselves in danger when they enter Emmett Burr’s house to steal prescription drugs.
Acting sheriff Ben Packard recently located to Sandy Lake takes the lead on the missing teens. Time is running out, will he find them alive?

This is a intriguing and dark debut thriller by Josh Moehling. I was definitely hooked by this story and the pace of this book and  didn’t want to put it down until I found out what happened. I loved the dual perspective of Packard and Emmett where we follow the story from the eyes of hero and villain.

Thank you to NetGalley and Poisoned Pen Press for giving me an arc.
This was too disturbing for my taste and had a lot of trigger warnings. I would not recommend. I really thought I’d enjoy this one so it was a let down.
Thank you NetGalley and Poisoned Pen Press for my advanced copy in exchange for an honest review!

For two teenagers, what starts as a simple burglary turns into a horrible nightmare.  Jesse and Jenny are teenagers who were on the hunt for prescription drugs and have now turned up missing and the acting Sheriff Packard is working hard to find them!
What a debut novel for Joshua Moehling! The first chapter starts out on a bang and draws you in fast. It slows down for a bit but once you hit about 50% you won’t want to put the book down.  I thought that he did a great job getting the readers to see through the mind/action of the killer as well as the acting Sheriff. If you love small town mysteries and mysteries around not knowing who your neighbors really are, then you will enjoy this book!

This review will be posted to my Instagram blog (read_betweenthecovers) in the near future!
And There He Kept Her by Joshua Moehling was an interesting look into the mind of someone who has no lust for life and is just surviving. Emmett is an old man, in pain and feels he has nothing to lose. When two teenagers break into his house he defends himself but then is lost for what to do. The story that follows how he tries to cover up his crimes is a great ride!
Don't read if your home a lone!  This is very twisty and unusual  for a book, might fine that not always are the kids from good family are good!   Makes you wonder what goes on behind closed doors?
Wow what a debut from this author! I thoroughly enjoyed this book as it kept me on the edge of my seat throughout the entire thing. I thought the writing was excellent and the story was dark! If that's your thing, then this book is for you!
Thank you so much for the opportunity to read this book in exchange for my honest review!  This debut novel was dark and delicious!  I enjoy police procedural books and this has some of that in it!  Quick wild ride!
I was hooked from the first page, kept me interested right until the end.  Would definitely recommend.

———————————————

When two teenagers break into a house on a remote lake in search of prescription drugs, what starts as a simple burglary turns into a nightmare for all involved. Emmett Burr has secrets he's been keeping in his basement for more than two decades, and he'll do anything to keep his past from being revealed. As he gets the upper hand on his tormentors, the lines blur between victim, abuser, and protector.

Unrelentingly suspenseful and written with a piercing gaze into the dark depths of the human soul, And There He Kept Her is a thrilling page-turner that introduces readers to a complicated new hero and forces us to consider the true nature of evil.
I am not sure how I feel about this book. The writing is very good but the story is depressing and made me feel “dirty”. Filthy protagonist physically and emotionally. He seemed to have a spark of kindness in him towards his captive, but he was holding a teenager captive so that negates any goodness. Too many cookie cutout characters. I just didn’t enjoy this book. Thank you NetGalley for this advanced copy for my honest review.
I received a free digital ARC from Poisoned Pen Press via NetGalley. Teens Jenny and Jesse are missing and Acting Sheriff Packard is on the job. Jenny’s mom is Packard’s cousin and they haven’t really connected since he moved back to the small town of Sandy Lake, Minnesota where they used to vacation as kids. Packard has his own secrets, but he is good at his job and has a lot of ideas about the trail of drugs that must have got Jenny and Jesse in trouble.

I was very pleased with this crime thriller. I enjoyed being in the dark mind of the killer as well as Sheriff Packard as he navigates a heavy work load and unravels the clues before him. The secondary characters where very well drawn out. I loved Gary! I will definitely read a sequel with Packard because I became invested in him and the town. Hopefully, there will be more edits before publication because I noticed several errors in this advanced copy.
This was just mediocre to me.  I didn't love it or hate it.  It kinda fell in the middle.  The plot was OK, but I couldn't really connect with the characters. I'm not saying it wasn't good,  but it just did not stand out as phenomenal to me.
I love a small town narrative story  and I thought this one was excellent. The setting is superb and the story, not a whodunit but a race against time to stop yet more loss, is cleverly plotted and full of deeply drawn characters of the morally ambiguous kind. This looked to be a thriller and the title sounded like one as well. If one goes into this book expecting that, one will be disappointed. So, kids Jesse and Jenny break into old man Emmett Burrs house intent on stealing some narcotics. What they didn’t expect is for Emmett to be home when they did it. This is when it gets crazy. Emmett seems like a harmless old man however, he has many secrets buried in his basement and he is determined to keep them hidden. Simultaneously, Ben Packard is a friend of the family of one of the missing teens and is put in charge of the investigation. Sheriff Packard is an engaging character who is relatable and focused, dealing with loss of his own in more than one way. He also manages to avoid all cliche which is a huge plus

I don’t want to give too much away but I thought it was an interesting read. I liked the different perspectives of the characters and I was fully invested in the deputy finding the missing teens.
WOW! What a great first novel by a debut author. I was hooked from the moment the two youngsters went down the stairs.
This is a deeply disturbing thriller that will keep you wanting more and more.
I loved that the acting Sheriff was a gay man with a past. I thought that was a brilliant addition and really nice to see in the storyline.
The drugs were part of the story but NOT the central part, which is another breath of fresh air.
The location, Northern Minnesota...I am guessing Hibbing, Chisholm, I know the Iron Range was also a great addition to the thriller market.
However, I wanted more detail about how Carl and Emmett met and how they first began their crimes.
I wanted to know more about how Sam was going to hurt Jessies sister.
There was some loose ends that really needed to be cleaned up to make this a SPECTACULAR story.
However, overall you won't be sorry to pick up and read this book.
I really enjoyed this book. While I would say it’s not for the faint of heart or those just transitioning into the thriller genre as it has its graphic moments. It kept it edgy & on my toes.
The character development had you questioning your own beliefs of a real villain. Once an even more “evil” villain is unveiled does it make the other villain good??

Synopsis: Packard is a cop who lost his brother at Sandy Lake years ago, he returns to wash away old wounds just “in time” to be the head sheriff when 2 teens go missing again. It’s up to him to connect the dots in this small town while confronting his own demons of his past & present.

The cover art was stellar & a great depiction for the story.  (The major bonus was the corgi!!)
I loved reading this book! I found the writing to be very insightful and interesting. I was intrigued by the premise and I enjoyed reading it from start to finish.
I was immediately dragged in and couldn't put it down. The first few sentences are magnetizing, definitely an amazing recommendation.